Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The weirdest geas you've thought of
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
simonw2000
What's the weirdest geas you've ever thought of? Come on, send them in!
RedmondLarry
Only able to cast spells while reading old postings on forums.dumpshock.com
Slamm-O
i had a character who always had to tell the truth, and could not deliberately decieve people, no weird but very limiting.

"what the hell are you doing in here?"

"im here to kill you Mr. Van Gaard, i have been hired by Mitsuhama Corporation for that express purpose."
Phaeton
For use of "Launch Weapons" for an adept...

Must yell "1! 2! 5!...Err, 3!" before using a grenade launcher. rotfl.gif
Herald of Verjigorm
Must have theme music.
Must pretend to be mute and use puppets to communicate vocally.
Yodeling for a centering skill.
GoldenAri
Must be yelling new and creative profanity
Panzergeist
Must have stolen something in the last 24 hours. That would be a good one for my kleptomaniac gnome racoon shaman.
k1tsune
Must be wearing clashing, tacky clothing.
mfb
i've got a physad whose powers are all geas'd to technomagically-modified pieces of gear--forearm guards/densiplast knuckles for killing hands and distance strike, formfit full for pain resistance, a HUD computer for sensory stuff. it's kind of an anime-but-not-anime thing.
Munchkinslayer
Fashionable, for a Cat shaman.
mfb
that's not really weird. now, "must wear clothing suitable to the job at hand, instead of the skimpiest outfit you can find", that would be weird.
Fortune
For a Cat Shaman, must not have bathed in the preceding 24 hours would be a bitch. biggrin.gif
Aidley
My first PhysAd took passion pink nail polish as a geas. Very odd on a troll.

I was going to go with slapping a plastic tiara on their head and shouting 'Leather bondage power makeup!'..... but Mr GM Sir said no way. frown.gif
The Jopp
Must take a bath in strawberry Jello wearing a Sailor Moon outfit every 24 hours.

No, not really but that WOULD be weird.
Zazen
One of my players wanted to have "must insert or remove foreign object from rectum", but it never really panned out. He's one of those players who always seems to have equipment, skills, etc. that isn't on his sheet, so this habit was already well known around the table.
simonw2000
Would a Sailor Moon-style character be an adept or adept-mage?
Phaeton
Depends on the Sailor Scout in question, I think...
gknoy
QUOTE (Slamm-O)
i had a character who always had to tell the truth, and could not deliberately decieve people, no weird but very limiting.

"what the hell are you doing in here?"

"im here to kill you Mr. Van Gaard, i have been hired by Mitsuhama Corporation for that express purpose."

Or, for the more clever:

"What are you doing here?"

"I'd prefer not to tell you, Mr. Van Gaard."

I think that would qualify as truthful and not misleading ... esp considering that they guy probably already expects you're there to kill him wink.gif
simonw2000
Here's one for a Coyote Shaman!

Cannot do something perceived as "wrong" if ANY possibility of doing the right thing presents itself!
Req
Must be on fire. For those wacky fire-bringer shamans, maybe.
Crimson Jack
One of the guys in my group is an Oni mage. His geas was that he always wore brilliant white clothes. Rest of the team always wanted to leave him by himself so they wouldn't get noticed.
crazyivans
For my Human Houdoun, must inflict 2 light wounds on himself every 24 hours with a Weapon Focus. Sort of similar to what Blood Mages do I guess, but I like it.
Kanada Ten
Must have one hand tied behind their back.

"I will destroy you momentarily; just wait while I tie one hand behind my back."
Dashifen
I had a player submit a concept for a troll cybered mage what had to wear ballet slippers and a pink tutu to get back those pesky lost magic points. Figured people would be laughing so hard that they would forget to geek the mage.
Cain
In all seriousness, I once applied the "power food" geas. The adept power would only be active for a certain amount of time after eating a certain food; the time depended on how hard to obtain the food was. The character I applied it to chose 2 lbs of real meat, which I felt was worth 8 hours.

My favorite, and the original concept, was the guy who needed to eat a can of spinach to activate his Increased Strength. rotfl.gif
simonw2000
BUMP!
RedmondLarry
You bump a thread that has been inactive for 24 hours and 10 minutes? Sheesh. This topic got its 15 minutes of fame. We're now interested in shoe endorsements.

However, back on topic. A geas to give a product endorsement within the last 24 hours.
Lily
Found this topic and had to reply... A fellow player of mine had a great idea for a coyote shaman; not your run-of-the-mill coyote shaman, though- more like WYLIE coyote... make all his spells manifest like somehting out of a cartoon. And the geas- levitate only works until you look down. LOL

Lily
Large Mike

After reading some Unknown Armies and mulling about characters in that, I crossed the two concepts and came up with these beauts.

1. Must have been the first magically active person somewhere historically significant in 24 hours in the past 24 hours. Cliomancers, my friend.

2. There must be someone present who knowsof or respects a mage's magical abilities without having seen them before.

3. Casting fetishes of books. Also, must own a huge library. Bibliomancer.
Kagetenshi
I had one Physad with powers geased to Must Have Killed in Past 24 Hours. It was allowed based on the fact that I wasn't going to go off killing random people just to activate my powers; the thought was that the character would get into combat, wind up killing someone, and suddenly become a whole lot nastier. Increased Reflexes 2 and Improved Ability stuff.

~J
simonw2000
Must wear a pair of glasses to astrally perceive. Doesn't apply to projection. Not weird, but it can be limiting.
k1tsune
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
I had one Physad with powers geased to Must Have Killed in Past 24 Hours. It was allowed based on the fact that I wasn't going to go off killing random people just to activate my powers; the thought was that the character would get into combat, wind up killing someone, and suddenly become a whole lot nastier. Increased Reflexes 2 and Improved Ability stuff.

~J

Players, no read.

[ Spoiler ]
Shockwave_IIc
Is that not virtually blood magic though?
k1tsune
QUOTE (Shockwave_IIc)

No. They aren't getting power from the death. They're getting it because of it.
Shockwave_IIc
Granted, but in my book there's not much difference. But each to their own.

Siege
Subtle distinction -- blood magic garners power from the life sacrificed or blood spilled, etc. It's a legitimate magical tradition in it's own right.

However, an adept or even a mage could adopt geas that require death or the spilling of blood.

On the surface of it, both look similar if not identical but the underlying mechanics are fundamentally different.

-Siege
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (Shockwave_IIc)

It is the sacrifice geas. Yes, it is blood magic, or at least it is officially defined in the same pages as blood magic.
spotlite
The only difference is that the physad isn't increasing their abilities in the same way a blood mage does, he's just activating the ones he has. I agree that it IS blood magic, mind you.

But I quite like the reasoning behind the first example. He doesn't go out of his way to kill, he just suddenly finds himself constantly tempted by the temptation to do so just to gain access to his powers on a run. If roleplayed right it could be quite tragic. If you like that kind of thing, anyway.

Now, for an Adept on the Twisted Way with it... well, I might well give them temporary bonuses, maybe to their magic rating so they can have more powers active at once because that would fit. The mechanics would need to be worked out - I don't think there are actual 'blood adept' rules. But it would be for NPCs or an Evil Campaign imho. Fortunately we have some longstanding very powerful evil characters from an old campaign, all of whom are magically active. So I'm going to start plotting, I think...
Kagetenshi
The character in question, she isn't a very nice person. It's just that I wouldn't metagame and have her go kill a vagrant just to fulfill the geas, she'd only fill it by killing someone in normal combat, though she'd do that gladly.
(For those familiar with my characters, this is Jane)

~J
Abstruse
I had a player who wanted to use the geas that he had to be...ummmm...manipulating himself in a socially inappropriate manner...Ixnay on that idea.

The Abstruse One
Drain Brain
How about "must be naked?" Socially embarrasing, yes, but what happens when your run takes you to the Trans-Polar Aleut region? Ouch, frostbite...
k1tsune
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Feb 24 2004, 08:49 PM)
The character in question, she isn't a very nice person. It's just that I wouldn't metagame and have her go kill a vagrant just to fulfill the geas, she'd only fill it by killing someone in normal combat, though she'd do that gladly.
(For those familiar with my characters, this is Jane)

~J

Okay. It now makes sense. The whole combat-madness-like-thing.
moosegod
QUOTE (simonw2000)
Would a Sailor Moon-style character be an adept or adept-mage?

It's irrelvant when they're dead. wink.gif
John Campbell
QUOTE (Drain Brain)
How about "must be naked?" Socially embarrasing, yes, but what happens when your run takes you to the Trans-Polar Aleut region? Ouch, frostbite...

The munchkin, of course, uses this geas to offset the Essence loss from their ruthenium dermal sheathing.
simonw2000
QUOTE (Abstruse)
I had a player who wanted to use the geas that he had to be...ummmm...manipulating himself in a socially inappropriate manner...Ixnay on that idea.

The Abstruse One

I think we all know what the "inappropriate manner" is, right?
simonw2000
QUOTE (The Jopp @ Jan 26 2004, 08:31 AM)
Must take a bath in strawberry Jello wearing a Sailor Moon outfit every 24 hours.

Don't forget the webcam! "Hey Serena, would 75% of profits sound good to you?" biggrin.gif
simonw2000
QUOTE (Crimson Jack)
One of the guys in my group is an Oni mage. His geas was that he always wore brilliant white clothes. Rest of the team always wanted to leave him by himself so they wouldn't get noticed.

I can see why. That is the DUMBEST GEAS I HAVE EVER SEEN!
Shockwave_IIc
Hey it's almost the same as a Hougan of Obatala has to wear.
moosegod
No, just one article of white clothing, by Canon. So a pair of white socks would count, I guess.

As a GM, I wouldn't allow such a cop-out, but the idea of all white clothes is pretty extreme for a shadowrunner. Still sounds like an interesting character.
John Campbell
QUOTE (moosegod)
As a GM, I wouldn't allow such a cop-out, but the idea of all white clothes is pretty extreme for a shadowrunner.

Nah, he's just the guy you send on the winter mission to the Trans-Polar Aleut instead of Naked Guy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012