Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seattle 2072
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Prime Mover
So any lucky souls who got there hands on one feel like a review/spoilers? We know that page 3 is blank? Missing text or just an extra page? How's the art? Content? I hear the maps are nice.
Kerenshara
Anybody feel like scalping me a copy of the book that picked it up from the con? I'm the impatient sort and I'd like to incorporate some of the plot stuff into the end of Kerenshara's current story arc since it sounds like it's already a pretty close fit.
Redjack
Page #3 was the second page of the table of contents.

The layout is the same as SR4a, which I'm really liking. Many short stories, almost one per district, and lots of blurbs about places to be. I miss the security ratings/neighborhoods from Seattle Sourcebook, but those have been missing a while. I love the index in the back that indexes the address (and quick descriptions) of the various sites discussed.
Malachi
QUOTE (Redjack @ Aug 20 2009, 02:53 PM) *

The layout is the same as SR4a, which I'm really liking. Many short stories, almost one per district, and lots of blurbs about places to be. I miss the security ratings/neighborhoods from Seattle Sourcebook, but those have been missing a while. I love the index in the back that indexes the address (and quick descriptions) of the various sites discussed.

Do you have any favourites from the fiction?
vladski
QUOTE (Redjack @ Aug 20 2009, 03:53 PM) *

Oh, it sounds like CGL could semi-remedy that easy enough by jsut posting the second table of contents page online for people to download.  It's not like anyone could use that page to actually play SR4 for "free" and it could even spur some people into buying hte book if they could see the subjects ahead of  time.

This is the first book (other than the core rulebooks) that I am actually excited about.  I gots me a soft spot for Seattle and all but one of my campaigns (the Denver one) use that as the base setting. It should be mandatory that each edition have one book soley dedicated to Seattle. nyahnyah.gif

So, any word on the release date of Shadows of Latin America?  *ducks*  nyahnyah.gif

Vlad

Bugfoxmaster
Unfortunately for me, I AM the patient sort. Or maybe the broke sort. Either way, I gotta wait. ohplease.gif
Well, what to do. Anyone have any inkling of the release date (I know they don't like giving it out, but a guess is as good as anything...)
Adam
QUOTE (vladski @ Aug 20 2009, 05:41 PM) *
Oh, it sounds like CGL could semi-remedy that easy enough by jsut posting the second table of contents page online for people to download.

We almost always post the TOC of our books anyway as a preview -- this will be done.
Adam
QUOTE (Bugfoxmaster @ Aug 20 2009, 05:45 PM) *
Well, what to do. Anyone have any inkling of the release date (I know they don't like giving it out, but a guess is as good as anything...)

No. We don't give out dates before we have a street date.
Bugfoxmaster
Hurray!
I'm really looking forward to this book too, since I'm in a game in Seattle starting next month...
Stormdrake
Running a game in seattle right now. Have drawn from the older books and moved forward. Gonna have to see how I can fit the new book info into my exsisting game. Will still buy it of course smile.gif
Fezig
Very cool. I've been running with the little info in Runner Havens, sticking it together with the old source books info, and rolling it all up in a jumbled mess with my personal knowledge of Seattle to try and make a legit layout and set of hangouts, etc for Seattle in 2072. Being able to pull some of that guess work on how things have evolved and actually having it all in a nice cohesive bow ought to really cut down the guess work time I put into some of my story arc ideas.
BookWyrm
*grumble* and I still gotta wait until I see a print date.....
Rotbart van Dainig
What exactly is meant by hardcopy currency in the book? If it's not credsticks, it sounds like a major quirk when it comes to Nuyen...
Zen Shooter01
Shadowrun4.com says the PDF is available now.
knasser
QUOTE (Zen Shooter01 @ Aug 23 2009, 04:29 PM) *
Shadowrun4.com says the PDF is available now.

Slow off the mark. I got it around 9:00am. wink.gif

It's glossy. The artwork is mostly excellent and the presentation and layout is good with nice fiction inserts. A lot of it is a re-print and padding out of the material in Runner Havens. For example the low-down on the Mafia is mostly the same information with a sprinkle of extra plot-points. A good chunk of it seems to be a kind of tour book blast through the various districts. Clubs, restaurants and businesses. There's a sizeable history section which would be good for new players and GMs. A kind of medicine for the increasing problem of the game's ever expanding back story. Useful padding on the little things, like air-traffic control and border crossing, etc. And then a side dish of little morsels of politics, society, the future etc. These are good. Ten pages of politics can go quite a long way.

If you don't have Runner Havens or previous books on Seattle, then this is almost a must if you're setting your game there. If you have Runner Havens, then this is a bit like Runner Havens Deluxe edition. It's 200 pages and Runner Havens's Seattle section is 59 pages, so I really do mean the Deluxe version. But nontheless, from my initial skimming, that's how it feels. Still, I may not be doing it enough justice as I haven't had much time today to read it. It tastes good, so far. smile.gif

K.
Nath
Nonsense, all nonsense !!!!

DocWagon, Lone Star, PacRim Communications are megacorporations and are not Seattle corps. This table of contents makes no sense !

*move on, mumbling for himself*
Grinder
You forget to shake your fists. biggrin.gif
Prime Mover
Has MicroDeck changed there name to MircoComm?
Paul
Will any of the Seattle 206x stuff that didn't get published Adam get put out in any way?
Adam
QUOTE (Paul @ Aug 23 2009, 05:56 PM) *
Will any of the Seattle 206x stuff that didn't get published Adam get put out in any way?

None of that fan material appears in the book, of course. Bull and some others are ramping up a Shadowrun magazine -- there's a few threads about it already. You should totally send it over to him!
Paul
I wasn't expecting any of it to make it into the book, but I figured people could use the locations, no matter what the setting or time line. The basic reason I can't send it to Bull is that I don't have it. After I sent it to you I suffered several Computer Crashes. I sent you a PM, but you were busy so I never got a reply. If you have it send it to me, and I'll send it to him, or skip the middle man and just give it to him. If it's gone, well I guess I'll have to start over!
Adam
I'm pretty sure I have it backed up somewhere; I burnt some archive DVDs a couple years ago when I knew that I would not have the time to work on it anymore. I'll pull them out this week and pass them over to Bull.
Paul
With many thanks. I appreciate it. We tried saving it all, but...well let's say my Gremlins flaw has only upgraded over recent years.
Grinder
When did Lone Star lose the security contract for Seattle?
Rotbart van Dainig
Just after Ghost Cartels.
maeel
QUOTE (Grinder @ Aug 27 2009, 05:05 AM) *
When did Lone Star lose the security contract for Seattle?

WTF? who is playing bad cop, worse cop now?
Bull
QUOTE (maeel @ Aug 27 2009, 11:57 AM) *
WTF? who is playing bad cop, worse cop now?

Knight Errant, I believe...

And Paul/Adam, look forward to seeing what you guys have smile.gif
maeel
this is going to feel weird...

at least it is not eagle security.....
Dashifen
QUOTE (Bull @ Aug 27 2009, 12:05 PM) *
Knight Errant, I believe...

Yup, and the book says that have itchy trigger fingers so that they can prove that there not only as good as the Star was but better since they can handle anything!! I'm hoping to use that to ramp up the tension when the players start blowing shit up.
martindv
The sheer amount of ignorant nonsense written about how state and federal militaries interact is stunning.

Bull
QUOTE (martindv @ Aug 28 2009, 03:36 PM) *
The sheer amount of ignorant nonsense written about how state and federal militaries interact is stunning.

Keep in mind a few things...

1) This is Shadowrun. A LOT of things are different, especially following the splintering of the country and the rise of the megacorps and their extra-territorial status.

2) This is Seattle, and island unto it's own. Seattle is pretty much it's own city and state rolled into one, and is also the only bastion of federal law that the UCAS has that side of Denver. As such, Seattle simply operates differently than a normal city would.

Not that I personally know much about the matter myself, but what exactly is the problem?
Redjack
QUOTE (martindv @ Aug 28 2009, 03:36 PM) *
I personally have to invoke suspension of disbelief every time the current crop of politicians open their mouths to speak, so I find little of what is written in Shadowrun as not being plausible...
Paul
I think it's a personal preference. Personally I think the whole "Balkanization" aspect of the game is way over played. But obviously we all have our own view on the fictional universe that is Shadowrun.
Paul
QUOTE (Redjack @ Aug 28 2009, 05:07 PM) *
I personally have to invoke suspension of disbelief every time the current crop of politicians open their mouths to speak, so I find little of what is written in Shadowrun as not being plausible...

Classic! For the win!
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (Paul @ Aug 23 2009, 04:44 PM) *
I wasn't expecting any of it to make it into the book, but I figured people could use the locations, no matter what the setting or time line.

MaCavity has some we drew up on Underworld at his Isle of Shadows. Of course, there's a few new ones in the Target:2070 thread, if you're interested.
martindv
Suspension of disbelief applies to magic, not something you can find out on Google in about two minutes.

That's just lazy writing.
MusicMan
QUOTE (martindv @ Aug 28 2009, 05:03 PM) *
Suspension of disbelief applies to magic, not something you can find out on Google in about two minutes.

The "Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn" has online temples where you can learn real magic from the comfort of your living room.
Grinder
QUOTE (martindv @ Aug 29 2009, 12:03 AM) *

Out of curiosity: what exactly bugs you aobut the interaction of state and federal military?
Redjack
QUOTE (martindv @ Aug 28 2009, 05:03 PM) *

Oh no. I've read some of the current bills. There is a belief in magic supported by lazy writing! nyahnyah.gif

On a serious note: Unrealistic things occur every day in real life. Read any paper. Furthermore, federal and state military today break numerous federal laws in their cooperation, but activist judges refuse to allow litigation. Could you cite examples?
kanislatrans
QUOTE (Dashifen @ Aug 28 2009, 09:30 AM) *
Yup, and the book says that have itchy trigger fingers so that they can prove that there not only as good as the Star was but better since they can handle anything!! I'm hoping to use that to ramp up the tension when the players start blowing shit up.

your players blow shit, up?...Huh I thought our group had cornered the marked on that. grinbig.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012