Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question about Drain
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Benshai
In the S4a book its mentioned in the examples of Drain, that hits while casting a Combat spell directly adds to the Drain value. Where is the exact rule in the book?
McAllister
Welcome to Dumpshock!

It's in the BBB (which, I recently learned, stands for Big Black Book, and refers to the core rulebook) in the section on spells where direct combat spells and indirect combat spells are defined. The rule (which was optional before SR4A and is no longer listed as optional; make of that what you will) is that, when casting DRECT combat spells, net hits which add to damage also add to drain, because it's more difficult to channel that mana directly. Indirect combat spells, on the other hand, add net hits to damage with no such drawback.

Sound good?
Benshai
Thanks. After rereading it I see where it says Direct Damage spell hits increase the drain pg 204 3rd paragraph.
X-Kalibur
According to the errata (since I don't have the SR4A, just the first run of SR4) it is still an optional rule. See this link http://shadowrun4.com/resources/sr4a/sr4a_changes.pdf

However, that in mind, if you find that the drain on indirect spells is too low, use the same formula. Drain = ((F/2) + spell mod) + net hits. So if you throw a Force 4 Lightning Ball You have ((4/2) + 5) = 7, yes? Now if they want to add in net hits to increase the damage, you add to the final value.
Mäx
QUOTE (McAllister @ Aug 21 2009, 07:13 PM) *
Welcome to Dumpshock!

It's in the BBB (which, I recently learned, stands for Big Black Book, and refers to the core rulebook) in the section on spells where direct combat spells and indirect combat spells are defined. The rule (which was optional before SR4A and is no longer listed as optional; make of that what you will)

That rule didn't excist before SR4A, second version of that book made it an optional rule.
TeOdio
Yes. The print release of the new and awesome BBB says it is optional to calculate the drain that way (even though the example a couple pages before follows the optional, not the standard rule, hehe). I've never had a problem with the drain as it has been calculated. As an optional rule I thinks it is utter shite for many reasons well articulated on other threads. If you think combat spells are too overpowered, there are better things to "house rule". You can cap the force to the magic rating of the caster, or let targets get a damage resistance test after getting hit by a spell.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012