Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seattle 2072 PDF + Print Pre Order
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Adam
Seattle 2072, the second full-color hardcover as part of our 20th Anniversary of Shadowrun celebration, is available now in PDF, and the print version is also available -- along with the PDF + Print Pre-Order combo. We anticipate shipping these books in October.

This 200 page book is the ultimate look at Seattle, presenting the City on the Sound in full-color, like you've never seen her before.

Preview the first seven pages of Seattle 2072, including Tables of Contents and fiction from Kris Katzen.

Welcome Home

It's a screwed up city. Isolated from the rest of the UCAS, it's haven for criminals—smugglers, syndicates, gangers. Legal criminals, too—megacorporations, governments, politicians.

As beautiful as she is dysfunctional, Seattle is urban sprawl amid rolling hills and forests nestled up to man-made wonders next door to natural and man-made disasters. Whether you're a native or not, Seattle will draw you in like no other.

You can run for a lifetime and never leave Seattle, but some say you can't run for a lifetime without entering.

tsuyoshikentsu
Baseball? biggrin.gif
knasser
Downloading now.

You should really give us more warning about these things. I could have got up a couple of hours earlier if I'd known. frown.gif wink.gif

Looking good, btw. biggrin.gif

K.
knasser
The law permits notification purely in AR, but inability to read or even see the [corporate interdiction zone] signs is due to, say, being too poor, SINless or ignorant to have AR access, is not considered an excuse to ignore them.

I think I'm going to enjoy the detail of this book. And I hope, as I'm starting to get a little sweet taste of, Knight Errant are turning out to be a little bit of a Frying Pan to Fire progression for Seattle. wink.gif

K.
knasser
The maps are somewhat less awesome than might be hoped. They lack scales for a start. And yet again, I'm left staring at the map of Downtown wondering where the supposedly massive and significant Renraku Arcology, now ACHE, actually is. It's not on the maps. The description in the Downtown section gives no suggestion as to location and it's not listed in the compilation of locations at the back of the book. So just like in Runner Havens and just like in New Seattle, it's notable through omission. That is... irritating. frown.gif

I will say that the artwork in this book is spectacular. The dancer on page 98 is spectacular and I adore the way she has the commlink strapped into her gartner so that men can tip her by slotting their credstick there in place of ten dollar bills.

K.
BookWyrm
All I need is the print page count and the ISBN-13 number. For now. Please?
knasser
QUOTE (BookWyrm @ Aug 23 2009, 02:55 PM) *
All I need is the print page count and the ISBN-13 number. For now. Please?

What for? The PDF has 202 actual pages, including cover and internal panel. The page numbers themselves go upto 200. There's no ISBN that I can see.

K.
BookWyrm
I need the page count and ISBN-13 numbers for the actual print book, NOT the PDF. These will help me if I need to order it through places like Borders or Barnes & Noble if I can't find it through my usual gaming sources.

While I like the idea of PDFs, I don't have the resources right now to print out and bind a massive file like Seattle 2072.
knasser
QUOTE (BookWyrm @ Aug 23 2009, 09:32 PM) *
I need the page count and ISBN-13 numbers for the actual print book, NOT the PDF. These will help me if I need to order it through places like Borders or Barnes & Noble if I can't find it through my usual gaming sources.

While I like the idea of PDFs, I don't have the resources right now to print out and bind a massive file like Seattle 2072.

Right. I understood that you needed the page count for the print book. I thought the page count for the PDF might answer the question. I did reference what were covers and inset panels so that the print version could be worked out.

Sorry couldn't help.

K.
Adam
If any store needs to know the page count to order the book, I want some of the drugs THEY are on. That must be some _good_ stuff. It's 200 pages, just like the writeup says.

ISBN-13: 978-1-934857-58-8
BookWyrm
Thank you, Adam. biggrin.gif Truth be told, the page count is for my personal edification. Call me a completist. :shrug:
oboreruhito
QUOTE (knasser @ Aug 23 2009, 04:16 AM) *
I'm left staring at the map of Downtown wondering where the supposedly massive and significant Renraku Arcology, now ACHE, actually is. It's not on the maps. The description in the Downtown section gives no suggestion as to location

I don't think it's moved since the 1E downtown map, though anyone from CGL can happily tell me otherwise. It should be a rectangular chunk west of 4th Avenue, from James St. to S. King St.

QUOTE (knasser @ Aug 23 2009, 04:16 AM) *
and it's not listed in the compilation of locations at the back of the book.

It is, though unhelpfully listed as Renraku Arcology at 1 Renraku Avenue.
knasser
QUOTE (oboreruhito @ Aug 24 2009, 07:46 AM) *
I don't think it's moved since the 1E downtown map, though anyone from CGL can happily tell me otherwise. It should be a rectangular chunk west of 4th Avenue, from James St. to S. King St.

grinbig.gif No, I hadn't thought that it might have moved since 1st edition. rotfl.gif But I don't have the 1st edition maps. This is quite an oversight for the book, imo.

"Where's the Arcology gone?"
"It moved."

rotfl.gif rotfl.gif

QUOTE (oboreruhito @ Aug 24 2009, 07:46 AM) *

You're right on both counts. It is listed and it is unhelpful. ohplease.gif

Thank you very much for the Google Map, however. That really is helpful. smile.gif

K.
oboreruhito
QUOTE (knasser @ Aug 24 2009, 01:09 AM) *
grinbig.gif No, I hadn't thought that it might have moved since 1st edition. rotfl.gif But I don't have the 1st edition maps. This is quite an oversight for the book, imo.

Now that I think about it... I'm not sure if there's been a street-level downtown Seattle map since the one on the inside cover of the 1E corebook.

"Where's the Arcology gone?"
"It moved."

rotfl.gif rotfl.gif

Hey, it could've pulled a SimCity 2000, fired up some rockets and flown across town for all I know. spin.gif

Thank you very much for the Google Map, however. That really is helpful. smile.gif

You're welcome! Anyone know if it'd be some sort of copyright violation to map out the rest of the Seattle 2072 locations that way?
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (oboreruhito @ Aug 24 2009, 09:44 AM) *
Hey, it could've pulled a SimCity 2000, fired up some rockets and flown across town for all I know.

That's only funny as long as one doesn't remember it can pretty much do that.

The fusion reactors in the basement can make it fly all over town, in fact.
DWC
Neat book. Great art. Glad I picked it up. Amusingly, my pre-ordered copy of SR4A also showed up in the mail today.
Kerrang
QUOTE (DWC @ Aug 24 2009, 01:22 PM) *
Neat book. Great art. Glad I picked it up. Amusingly, my pre-ordered copy of SR4A also showed up in the mail today.

Oh, the agony! My copy still has not shipped. The Gods of Gaming must have it out for me...

Maybe they are trying to tell me that I shouldn't have let the runners sleaze through the last two missions without a single fight. Perhaps a TPK is in order for the next session as a sacrifice to appease the Gods so that they might bless me with their favor.
Trillinon
QUOTE (oboreruhito @ Aug 23 2009, 10:46 PM) *

To this day I still want to cry when I see that Seattle let Renraku build an arcology in Pioneer Square. It would kind of be like allowing Six Flags to build a water park in the Washington DC Mall.
BlueMax
QUOTE (Trillinon @ Aug 24 2009, 10:45 PM) *
To this day I still want to cry when I see that Seattle let Renraku build an arcology in Pioneer Square. It would kind of be like allowing Six Flags to build a water park in the Washington DC Mall.

Why o why did you not submit this before they filmed Idiocracy?

BlueMax
BlueMax
QUOTE (Trillinon @ Aug 24 2009, 10:45 PM) *

Why o why did you not submit this before they filmed Idiocracy?

BlueMax
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (oboreruhito @ Aug 24 2009, 03:44 AM) *
Now that I think about it... I'm not sure if there's been a street-level downtown Seattle map since the one on the inside cover of the 1E corebook.

I believe that the same map got reprinted in the original Seattle Sourcebook as well. Still nothing more recent than First Edition though.
Larsine
QUOTE (RunnerPaul @ Aug 25 2009, 09:17 AM) *
I believe that the same map got reprinted in the original Seattle Sourcebook as well. Still nothing more recent than First Edition though.

That's why you need to own every SR book ever published spin.gif

Lars
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Larsine @ Aug 25 2009, 02:58 AM) *
That's why you need to own every SR book ever published spin.gif

Except Sprawl Sites. No one needs Sprawl Sites.
Bull
QUOTE (RunnerPaul @ Aug 25 2009, 03:16 AM) *
Except Sprawl Sites. No one needs Sprawl Sites.

Are you kidding me? I've gotten more use outta Sprawl Sites than almost any other single non-core book. Between a slew of adventure hooks, some quickie maps, and all the other goodies in there, it's a GM's Toolbox just waiting to be opened smile.gif

Now, Sprawl Maps are moderately less useful. And DMZ even moreso. Followed by most 1st and 2nd ed location books.

Bull
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Bull @ Aug 25 2009, 12:16 PM) *
Between a slew of adventure hooks,
While the tables of adventure hooks aren't so bad, There's nothing on there especially imaginative, nothing that a GM couldn't have easily come up with on their own. The only real advantage of those adventure hooks is that they're pre-written, so that you could crack the book to a random page of the appropriate section, drop a finger somewhere on the page, and have the book do your thinking for you.

some quickie maps,
Maps that are so 'quickie' they barely resemble the real world locations that they're supposed to represent. While I'm not expecting building drawings drafted by a licensed architect, I do expect the maps to at least be consistent with my and my players' expectations of how modern buildings work. If I have a layout of a typical office floor in a high rise building, there should be fire stairs somewhere on the map, and not just elevators. For a map of a store, or some other location where people will be working several hours straight, an employee washroom in the back would be a good idea. The maps from Sprawl Sites are so riddled with these types of flaws, they kill the overall utility of the book.

and all the other goodies in there,
The listing of contacts wasn't bad, and the essays in the back were worth reading. In fact, I ended up photocopying those two sections so I could carry them around to gaming sessions without them being tainted by the rest of the book.

Larsine
QUOTE (Bull @ Aug 25 2009, 07:16 PM) *
Are you kidding me? I've gotten more use outta Sprawl Sites than almost any other single non-core book. Between a slew of adventure hooks, some quickie maps, and all the other goodies in there, it's a GM's Toolbox just waiting to be opened smile.gif

Now, Sprawl Maps are moderately less useful. And DMZ even moreso. Followed by most 1st and 2nd ed location books.

Bull

All of the above are very usefull, compared to High Tech & Low Life: The Art of Shadowrun.

Lars
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Larsine @ Aug 25 2009, 01:23 PM) *
All of the above are very usefull, compared to High Tech & Low Life: The Art of Shadowrun.

Which is damn useful when you want to introduce the setting to a new player who has a highly "visual" learning sytle without hauling out every book to show off the cover. Or if you want a coffeetable artbook that reflects your hobby in addition to looking pretty.
Adam
QUOTE (RunnerPaul @ Aug 25 2009, 02:23 PM) *
While the tables of adventure hooks aren't so bad, There's nothing on there especially imaginative, nothing that a GM couldn't have easily come up with on their own.

I think you're doing Sprawl Sites a disservice, Paul. It was one of the early SR books, and one of the first that I bought, and at the time I thought it was a goldmine ... not just for things to use in game, but for illustrating how different parts of the Sixth World worked. It provided a ton of jumping-off points to fuel the imagination.

It's a 1989-style supplement, not a 2009-style supplement. Nowadays, something Sprawl Sites-like would likely be done PDF only, and cut into more bite-sized pieces.
BlueMax
QUOTE (Adam @ Aug 25 2009, 10:49 AM) *
I think you're doing Sprawl Sites a disservice, Paul. It was one of the early SR books, and one of the first that I bought, and at the time I thought it was a goldmine ... not just for things to use in game, but for illustrating how different parts of the Sixth World worked. It provided a ton of jumping-off points to fuel the imagination.

It's a 1989-style supplement, not a 2009-style supplement. Nowadays, something Sprawl Sites-like would likely be done PDF only, and cut into more bite-sized pieces.

This is about the Cutting not the lack of dead tree.
Which is a damn shame. So many Dumpshockers like myself list Sprawl Sites as useful, if only for the maps. Why change a winning formula?

BlueMax
Adam
I think you're misunderstanding me. First off, there is no "Sprawl Sites 2072" on the horizon. I'm speaking purely theoretical here. But, I think in 2009, if we were to release something similar, it would be more focused than Sprawl Sites originally was, and it would probably be released electronically.

For example, Sprawl Sites: Gang Life would have a few maps of dive bars, lousy chop shops, along with a bunch of plot hooks for gangs, and then some NPC gangers.

Sprawl Sites: Upper Crust would have maps of nice restaurants, giant hotel suites, relevant plot hooks, and then a bunch of NPCs -- the Corporate Suit, the Bodyguard, The Socialite, ec.
Bull
@Paul: I played in and ran a lot of Shadowrun games, and after a while, you start to have trouble coming up with any good, original hooks. Sprawl Sites was nice for those nights when I didn't have anything solid. I could pull a couple random run ideas, play around with them and usually come up with something for a nice one or two night game session. (I did the same thinga couple times with the Shadowrun Card Game. Pick a random Objective card, pull a few random challenges, and viola! I could throw together a basic run in no time flat. smile.gif)

I'm not saying you build a whole campaign this way, but back in the day when we were playing 3+ times a week, it was a serious time saver.

And as for what Adam's been saying about PDF releases, yeah... These days, that's probably the better route to go. THat's actually likely to be a couple things we try to do with the new magazine... Do up some basic, simple locations, NPCs, maybe the occasional set of adventure hooks. These aren't tools a GM should rely on for every game, but they're little things to help make their job a little easier on occasion smile.gif
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Adam @ Aug 25 2009, 02:49 PM) *
I think you're doing Sprawl Sites a disservice, Paul. It was one of the early SR books, and one of the first that I bought, and at the time I thought it was a goldmine

I'm well aware of when the thing was released, and when I started with Shadowrun in the summer of 1990, I honestly felt, even back then, that it was the least useful of the books available out at that time. Maybe it's because I was coming to Shadowrun with an already strong grounding in how cyberpunk settings had been depicted in other media, but I didn't find it useful at all for learning how the sixth world was supposed to work. Couple that with maps that were actively unhelpful, and you get the basis for my opinion. I'm genuinely surprised that anyone held the book in high opinion, because of the two or three different SR groups I ran with in the early 90s, the other players' experiences mirrored my own. As always, YMMV.
Bull
QUOTE (RunnerPaul @ Aug 25 2009, 04:06 PM) *
As always, YMMV.

Indeed smile.gif

It's ok Paul, we don't think any less of you, even if your opinion is wrong wink.gif

<grin>

Anyways, umm, back on topic... Seattle 2072... Yay! smile.gif
X-Kalibur
I just had a chance to look over the PDF and it's very solid, glad to have a hard copy coming in the mail soon. I especially enjoyed the overview of the Seattle gangs, which were always very prominent in the fiction and source material.

On a somewhat unrelated note, anyone having a problem with their PDF for Elicpse Phase? I'm getting a corrupted data error. (My work comp is using an older version of acrobat, if that is at all related, works fine for all the SR PDFs)
Adam
I've had a couple reports that one page of Eclipse Phase returns that error, but only in some programs, and not even every time the person opens the document. Doesn't happen on any of my machines. Exact info as to what OS/reader you're using, and the exact symptoms, would be appreciated -- feel free to PM me about it so we don't clutter this thread.
ShimmerGeek
Sorry, this is probably a silly question, but - what is the difference between the limited edition and the normal edition?

Edit: Whoops, sorry, misread the thread title - it is an even sillier question now! My apologies.
BishopMcQ
To quote Adam:
Yes, there's a limited edition; no word on street dates; we haven't announced the final specifications of the limited edition.
ORIGINAL POST

The general supposition, take it as you will, is that the LE will be a leather bound book, with foiled edges and numbered XX of YYYY. None of this is confirmed, but rather draws on previous limited editions for experience.
Cardul
I am sad at the omissions of The Jump House, Little Chiba, and a few other places from the old Sega game..
Also, I noticed that you did not list The Hospice in either Barrens, despite being a major part of one of the
more recent novels(I want to say Aftershocks?).
Cardul
QUOTE (BishopMcQ @ Aug 30 2009, 04:37 PM) *
To quote Adam:
ORIGINAL POST

The general supposition, take it as you will, is that the LE will be a leather bound book, with foiled edges and numbered XX of YYYY. None of this is confirmed, but rather draws on previous limited editions for experience.

They also said somewhere(I wish I could find it..if it was a comment on the Official Blog site, or somewhere here) that,
when they had the cover, there would be a picture of it up. As of yet, then, they have not even decided on the cover of the limited edition.
Warlordtheft
QUOTE (Bull @ Aug 25 2009, 01:16 PM) *

Bull

+1 on the Sprawl Sites-CGL should do an update on it.

Sprawl Maps-was kind of cool. I've used them more than a couple of times as easy to use generic maps.

DMZ was a seperate game-and I lost my copy after a move or two frown.gif but I think the main thing out of DMZ was the pieces and the maps. THough just like sprawl maps it was good to use once or twice.
Malachi
QUOTE (Cardul @ Aug 31 2009, 05:42 AM) *
I am sad at the omissions of The Jump House, Little Chiba, and a few other places from the old Sega game..
Also, I noticed that you did not list The Hospice in either Barrens, despite being a major part of one of the
more recent novels(I want to say Aftershocks?).

I think the "official stance" is that novels are not cannon.
Adam
QUOTE (Malachi @ Aug 31 2009, 01:42 PM) *
I think the "official stance" is that novels are not cannon.

Novels are canon. However, in cases that -- for whatever reason -- there are things that slip into the novels that contradict other material, the other material usually takes precedent.
Fuchs
QUOTE (Adam @ Aug 31 2009, 09:22 PM) *
Novels are canon. However, in cases that -- for whatever reason -- there are things that slip into the novels that contradict other material, the other material usually takes precedent.

If novels are canon then that opens a big can of worms. I just have to point to the awful first german novels to show why it's bad to treat novels as canon just from a continuity point of view.

And a loook at the Forgottne Realms should show why novels being treated as canon is bad from a setting point of view as well.

I would ask you honestly to reconsider this stance, or at least make sure no "world shaking" events are used for novels.
Bull
QUOTE (Fuchs @ Sep 1 2009, 03:22 AM) *
If novels are canon then that opens a big can of worms. I just have to point to the awful first german novels to show why it's bad to treat novels as canon just from a continuity point of view.

And a loook at the Forgottne Realms should show why novels being treated as canon is bad from a setting point of view as well.

I would ask you honestly to reconsider this stance, or at least make sure no "world shaking" events are used for novels.

Well, basically, it's up to CGL to police their Book Authors. FASA did that reasonably well, to a point (Stackpoles stuff was mostly written before SR1 was even released, and I suspect Wolf was based in part on some very early Adept concepts that didn't make it into the Grimoire, and there are a few things in later books, such as the Goblinized Dwarf, that just slipped through the cracks).

The German stuff, from what I understand, is incredibly hit and miss,and was very dependant on who was involved at the time. FASA never considered the German language material (or any foreign language original material) Canon since it never really went through a true approval process. I know that when FanPro took over, a lot of German Material was worked into Canon, and most German material was then considered Canon. I have no clue what CGL's stance is.

However, I'd disagree about "World Shaking Events" being part of the novels. I actually think this is the best place for certain ones, since the novels allow themselves to a narrative fiction that sourcebooks can't quite adhere to. And I'd prefer world shaking plots stay the hell out of Modules or campaign books like Survival of the Fittest or Brainscan. Burning Bright, the Dragonheart Trilogy, and that one book with Aina, I think, and the horrors and stuff. All of those were world shaking, to a degree, and they all were stories that I don't think could have been told well in sourcebooks or adventures.

Personally a mix is your best bet. Burning Bright and the Dragon Heart Trilogy were both tied to products and storylines that the players could then be involved with. Bug City, the election, the will. Whether you liked the actual story itself or not, I think it worked very well within the context of what it was trying to accomplish. And I'd love to see more of that on rare occasions from the novel line once it starts back up.

However, I do definately think that for every world shaking novel, you need at least 5 or 6 "normal" novels. At least. Those should be rare, and not the norm, just because Shadowrun doesn't need earthsaking every year. It's best to do something big, and then play out the fallout. Then hit em again once it's calmed down.

Bull
Cardul
QUOTE (Bull @ Sep 1 2009, 04:04 AM) *
However, I do definately think that for every world shaking novel, you need at least 5 or 6 "normal" novels. At least. Those should be rare, and not the norm, just because Shadowrun doesn't need earthsaking every year. It's best to do something big, and then play out the fallout. Then hit em again once it's calmed down.

Bull

I agree with this..but, at the same time, I am really confused on the novels during WizKids...they seemed to have
issues, in that they did not really feature AR, or really much of of the real feel of SR(at least, the first 3, the second, non-linked 3 were actually pretty darned good..). The initial three, actually, seemed alot more like "D&d Modern, with some tech! Woo!" and the characters were rather weak.

It is kind of sad, actually, that traits to explain stuff in the WK novels got put in(Latent Awakening,Family Name, etc),
but places like The Hospice got left out. Heck, it was these novels that were teh first time I had ever heard of Cross Applied Technologies, a AAA Corp that came into being, then went away pretty much at the change from 3rd edition to 4th edition. In fact, it felt like there were plans for it in the WK novels, but nothing ever came of them.

It really makes me wish WK had not canceled the novels when they canceled their game, because, it was nice getting theoretically canon fiction again....At least, from now on, all the sourceboosk are going to have good sized pieces of fiction. SR4A and Seattle 2072 are great for the sheer amounts of fiction in them, great for helping new players get a feel for the universe, and so, obviously, this is meant as a change in how they are doing things to make up for the lack of Holostreets.
Fuchs
QUOTE (Bull @ Sep 1 2009, 11:04 AM) *
Well, basically, it's up to CGL to police their Book Authors. FASA did that reasonably well, to a point (Stackpoles stuff was mostly written before SR1 was even released, and I suspect Wolf was based in part on some very early Adept concepts that didn't make it into the Grimoire, and there are a few things in later books, such as the Goblinized Dwarf, that just slipped through the cracks).

The German stuff, from what I understand, is incredibly hit and miss,and was very dependant on who was involved at the time. FASA never considered the German language material (or any foreign language original material) Canon since it never really went through a true approval process. I know that when FanPro took over, a lot of German Material was worked into Canon, and most German material was then considered Canon. I have no clue what CGL's stance is.

However, I'd disagree about "World Shaking Events" being part of the novels. I actually think this is the best place for certain ones, since the novels allow themselves to a narrative fiction that sourcebooks can't quite adhere to. And I'd prefer world shaking plots stay the hell out of Modules or campaign books like Survival of the Fittest or Brainscan. Burning Bright, the Dragonheart Trilogy, and that one book with Aina, I think, and the horrors and stuff. All of those were world shaking, to a degree, and they all were stories that I don't think could have been told well in sourcebooks or adventures.

Personally a mix is your best bet. Burning Bright and the Dragon Heart Trilogy were both tied to products and storylines that the players could then be involved with. Bug City, the election, the will. Whether you liked the actual story itself or not, I think it worked very well within the context of what it was trying to accomplish. And I'd love to see more of that on rare occasions from the novel line once it starts back up.

Bull

I'd prefer it if novels dealt with the fallout from World Shaking events and left the actual events up to the GMs to detail. Many players do not like to play second fiddle to the NPC heroes, and if you read a book about some runners being crucial in WS-plot X that means you either rewrite canon, or drop the plot, or have your group play "also along". It's also questionable if it's helping the game if the novels deal mainly with NPCs, and not characters the players can and are expected to play.
Bull
QUOTE (Cardul @ Sep 1 2009, 07:12 AM) *
I agree with this..but, at the same time, I am really confused on the novels during WizKids...they seemed to have
issues, in that they did not really feature AR, or really much of of the real feel of SR(at least, the first 3, the second, non-linked 3 were actually pretty darned good..). The initial three, actually, seemed alot more like "D&d Modern, with some tech! Woo!" and the characters were rather weak.

It is kind of sad, actually, that traits to explain stuff in the WK novels got put in(Latent Awakening,Family Name, etc),
but places like The Hospice got left out. Heck, it was these novels that were teh first time I had ever heard of Cross Applied Technologies, a AAA Corp that came into being, then went away pretty much at the change from 3rd edition to 4th edition. In fact, it felt like there were plans for it in the WK novels, but nothing ever came of them.

It really makes me wish WK had not canceled the novels when they canceled their game, because, it was nice getting theoretically canon fiction again....At least, from now on, all the sourceboosk are going to have good sized pieces of fiction. SR4A and Seattle 2072 are great for the sheer amounts of fiction in them, great for helping new players get a feel for the universe, and so, obviously, this is meant as a change in how they are doing things to make up for the lack of Holostreets.

Well, the Wixzkids novels were done solely by Wizkids, while SR4 was being worked on about the same time by FanPro. Because of the lead time novels tend to have, the first bunch were written well before SR4 was being developed,m so the decision was to set them during SR3 instead and keep them there, at least for a while.

Also, the books were actually written for the SR Duels game. The Kellen Colt trilogy specifically was written to be a primer and introduction to the world of Shadowrun, so it starts off pretty simple, and pretty street level, though it escalates through the series. I know most of the characters featured in the books were all based on Duels figures, and there was a bit of baggage and stuff that came with the characters and the plotting. They were tie-in novels, and suffered from the same stuff all tie-in novels suffer.

ANyways, CGL has plans to publish their own novels in the near future, with Jason Hardy and Mel Odom on board, to name a couple. I'm especially excited about Mel Odom, as his Skater novels were among some of the best Shadowrun books at protraying a team that felt like they could have been PCs.
Cardul
QUOTE (Bull @ Sep 1 2009, 12:37 PM) *
ANyways, CGL has plans to publish their own novels in the near future, with Jason Hardy and Mel Odom on board, to name a couple. I'm especially excited about Mel Odom, as his Skater novels were among some of the best Shadowrun books at protraying a team that felt like they could have been PCs.

I am lumping these novels into the Duke Nukem Forever category, just like Holostreets...And, I am looking forward to SR's 30th, when we finally get all three novel lines, and Holostreets..

Until then, I am just REALLY happy that we are getting good quality fiction in sourcebooks now, and I hope that this keeps up to tide us over until we get the novels...
SincereAgape
QUOTE (Bull @ Sep 1 2009, 04:04 AM) *

This is a great thread.

I spoke to Stackpole at a convention in North Jersey a few years ago and asked him about Wolf and Raven at his Q&A panel (Which brought a huge smile to his face).

The question was in reference to Wolf, and what exactly were his powers. In high school, my friends and I would try and figure out the statistics for our favorite novel characters. Wolf was the character that always caused a debate. Shapeshifter? Adapt? Shapeshifter? Adapt?

Two things.

1. Stackpole's writing was before First Generation even came out. He was brainstorming one night and called the director's at FASA, asking "Hey are you guys going to have wear wolves in this game because I would like to create a character who is a were wolf?

FASA: "Sure, go ahead. Put him in."

2. The name of Doctor Raven came to him at a Diner somewhere in New Mexico. He was eating an omlet and looked outside of the door. He saw a Cadilac pull up with a large raven emblem at the front of the car, above the hood. "Ah-ha! Raven! That's the character's name."
BookWyrm
Inspiration comes from the most unexpected sources. I also met Mr. Stackpole a few years back when he did a speaking panel at ICON (this was before Wolf and Raven were collected into the novel, and several of those short stories were printed in Challenge Magazine). Nice guy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012