Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where ya from & what ya do
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Paul
I'm a guy who likes Shadowrun. In fact I pretty much like a lot of games-role playing, board and strategy games. Be it Heroscape, Chess, Shadowrun or some Stratego I'm down. I'm not interested in getting too personal, for a variety of reasons, but it's common knowledge I think that I served as US Marine, and now work in law enforcement/government, at a maximum security prison. I work on a gang task force, and enjoy playing games with my friends. (Guys like Chrome Tiger, 3278, and more-who sometimes post around here.) Like them I've been kicking around DSF since it was a mailing list; I've also had the privilege of meeting some of the people writing, designing and play-testing the game. Almost universally I think they're decent and fun people.

I generally have little that is very serious to say, and view the entirety of the internet as one big entertainment device. I have enough people making my day busy at work, I don't need to come here and get all serious and worked up. So hopefully that helps anyone who might take offense to anything I say. Picture it all with a sardonic smile, and it's all good!
Omenowl
I am a geotechnical engineer working in Texas for the government doing dam and levee safety among other things.
36 years old
Military Brat
Been playing rpgs since I was 8 years old
1 baby boy
Go to a ranch with horses, dogs and chickens on the weekends
I have a bachelors and masters in civil engineering.
Enjoyed canoeing, white water rafting, archery, fencing and target shooting.
Took some tae kwon do, archery, aikido, and fencing.
toturi
From Singapore. Han Chinese, 31 years old. A little on the underweight side, used to do the various endurance and water sports, but after a minor training accident, involving me jumping off the deck of an APC in full battle gear, my hip, knee and ankle has been bothering me, so apart from an annual run, I stick to jogging short distances now. Dad was a career military man, retired now. Mom's a homemaker. I am a civil engineer by training but I am looking for a career change. I am conversant in 2 languages - English and Mandarin, did a little bit of French, know a little Malay. I started playing RPGs since 1990, started playing both Shadowrun and L5R in 1995. I love reading, finished Sun Tzu Art of War in the original at 12 (when my grasp of Mandarin was IMO the strongest, it has been downhill since then), read Clausewitz's On War when I had nothing to do after my O levels, read The Prince after my A levels (again because I was bored).
I am a GPMG gunner when I go back for refresher training. I could field strip and assemble an FN MAG/GPMG under a minute. I am a qualified lifeguard (I have to keep telling people it is all about your technique and not about how buff you are). I suffer from nightblindness which is why I am not a marksman(I hit all my targets in the day, 100% score, but at night I barely managed 10%; luckily, the GPMG comes with a night scope now.)
[ Spoiler ]

I play Star Wars and Cthulutech as well. In terms of miniature gaming, I play Warmachine and Hordes.
Red-ROM
this is kewl. I've been reading posts from a lot of you and it's good to get a feel for the real.

I'm 30(31 in a few days)

i live in Virginia beach, VA (you know, John Smith and all that)

I'm a recovering D&D purest that started SR in 3rd edition(I've played many other RPG's as well now)

I lived in Olypia, WA for 4 years and worked in Gig Harbor,WA

I'm a Heating and Air conditioning mechanic, married w/ a 1 year old boy.

I'm only fluent in English, but i took german in Highschool and I tried to learn Japanese once(I confused many people in Kyoto)
Khyron
I'm 30
Live in Port Saint Lucie, Florida, lived in Florida all my life.
Work in IT and occasionally cust/svc due to the crap economy
Internet addict.
Jhaiisiin
Lifetime resident of Albuquerque, NM (the place Bugs shoulda turned left at) and I hope I get to stay here my whole life. I just love it here. I've been gaming for... gosh, almost 20 years now? My cousin got me and my brother into it, first with a silly one-shot of D&D, then a much better Shadowrun game (Which he had to run from memory, using 2nd ed rules, because he had no books with him). He hooked us on it so hard we begged our parents for the books and thus began our life of RPG's. Since then, I've done SR mainly for years, all the way up through 4th ed and still going strong. At some point, my brother got into oWoD Vampire and has become an amazing storyteller (he's truly an artist of the word, while I am one of the hand it seems). Several years ago, my best friend and I got introduced to oWoD's Mage, and that has become our primary game, though I still play SR regularly (at least half the year). I'm also regularly involved with D20 Star Wars (not Saga edition, GM won't have it), and occasionally get sucked into paladium games, ridiculous as they are.

Beyond gaming, I'm 5'6-5'8ish (Depending on day, have a touch of scoliosis that tends to alter my height a bit), weigh in around 180 these days and am in better shape than I have been in the past. Just turned 30 last month, and tried like hell to avoid it with no success. I get to sport 3' of hair, which has caused me to be threatened with death should I ever cut it off. I'm currently a satellite TV install tech, and have worked various other tech fields over the years. Tech stuff just hits my brain really easily for some reason.

I'm also a freelance tattoo design artist and I sketch other things now and again. Just finally got back into school, though I'm at a loss what direction I want to go for. Would love to live off my art, but "Starving Artist" exists as a phrase for a very good reason.
ColdEquation
I'm kinda new here, so I'll gladly introduce myself. I've been aware of Dumpshock and its fourms for a long time, but only recently signed up.

I'm a 31-year-old guy from White Bread, USA, also known as Salt Lake City, Utah. I was raised LDS/Mormon, whatever you want to call it, but when I got to be about 24 I realized that I'd learned more about how life works from FastJack, Captain Chaos, Matador and Hatchetman than I'd ever learned from Jesus, so I've been doing my own thing ever since.

I'm getting married on Friday (8/28/09 for reference) to a wonderful woman who prefers the Hedge to the Shadows, but I can't hold that against her. I work for a grand-format print company, which means we make things that are bigger than large. If you've been to a mall somewhere in the United States or Canada lately, chances are you've seen our work. The company's proudest moment so far was being one of the subcontractors that worked on the 20 and 30 story tall building wraps that were seen during the 2002 Winter Olympics. I manage the shipping department, which keeps me here a lot later than I would like sometimes.

I went to college for a few semesters deluding myself that I could make a living with an English Degree; reality stepped in and kicked that out from underneath me.

I've been running Shadowrun for close to 15 years. I was introduced by way of the old FASA catalogues that came with my BattleTech stuff. Soon, my mechs were gathering dust while the streets of Seattle beckoned.
KCKitsune
I'm a 36 year old white guy living in Boiling Springs, Pennsylvania (right outside of Carlisle), and I am right now going to school to get my Medical Laboratory Scientist degree. I'll be taking Analytical Chemistry (CHM371) at Shippensburg this fall and Genetics in the Spring. All my other classes are taken care of.

I've been in the Navy. I almost made it through Naval Nuclear Power School, but fail to pass the Prototype stage of the training. I later got kicked out for Sleepwalking (no joke). I've worked in the Computer field (Earthlink, but got my job outsourced to the Philippines. That's why I'm going for my MLS degree... not much chance of getting outsourced.
Earlydawn
Border of New York and New Jersey. I'm 21. I'm a Political Science major with a personal focus on Defense / Security Studies. I'm an Epee fencer (retired since High School), a firearm owner, and a cat lover. I started my political life as a Democrat, back when I believed that people were fundamentally good and possessed intrinsic self-value. Shifted off to a more moderate stance during my first two in College. In the last year, I have finally come to terms with the idea that I am a Conservative, particularly in the areas of national defense and economics. Father is small business owner, and mom is a upper management biomedical wageslave. Hoping the latter pays off in Deltaware eventually. nyahnyah.gif

Very strongly considering commissioning into the Air Force. I'd like to do either intelligence or unmanned aviation. Army also isn't out of the question, although I would be very skeptical about heading down that road without having a specific specialty right out of MEPS (Do officers even go through MEPS?).
The Jake
I am 30 years old, in a defacto relationship with the most wonderful, understanding beautiful woman. We just had our first child a little over four months ago.

I live in Melbourne, Australia. Contrary to popular belief we don't ride kangaroos to work. Awhile back I was married to an American and lived in L.A. for a bit over a year but chose to come back when the relationship went south as I didn't want the stigma of people thinking I wanted the green card. Also been fortunate to do some travel across Asia and South America.

I work in information security as a consultant across the company's internal projects. I'm hoping to move into a more focused architectural role soon. As much as I love security I am a bit disillusioned with it sometimes. But the pay is too hard to argue with. I've done my Bachelors degree and been accepted to do a Masters but I'm still not sure I want to do it - it costs a lot, and I'm still umming and ahhing about what I'd learn vs. how it will help my career and/or life in general.

Outside of work I am very interested in health and fitness and exercise regularly (6'2"/ 215 lbs). I used to do wrestling and Brazilian jui jitsu with an eye towards doing competitive jiu jitsu and at least one amateur MMA fight (I've also done karate, taekwon do and dabbled in others). However I've had two major injuries requiring surgery and my road to full recovery long with no immediate end in sight. I have taken this opportunity to look at my health more holistically. To maintain my competitive streak I am now learning poker. I also have interests in property investing and personal development.

I try to run or paritcipate in role playing games at least once a fortnight, usually running Shadowrun but it's hard with my commitments. I've been gaming since I was 9, having started on AD&D 2E, Cyberpunk 2020 and SR1.

- J.
MKX
I came to find RPG's later in life, SR 1st Ed and AD&D around 1991 while studying/drinking at university. Born and raised in Australia, not travelled out of the country and don't speaking anything but English, which is kind of odd as I have quite a few mates from all around the world- ethnically my family on my fathers side came over on the 2nd fleet, originally from northern England after being busted for highway robbery (lol, no bread stealing here!) and my mothers side are 2nd generation migrants from Scotland with a little bit of French and German.
Unmarried, never married, no kids I'll admit too and I'm a continual disappointment to my parents in that regard.

Professionally, I'm a network admin/engineer, mostly telco stuff (SDH, PDH transmission, Base stations, fibre, wireless- I fix it all) for a mobile phone telco and also a wireless broadband provider... I also have a Bachelor of Arts in fine arts with a major in painting and drawing, needless to say, its not what pays the bills.
Unprofessionally, I privately import Japanese sports cars and spend my meagre spare time tuning them up, driving like an idiot, blowing them up, then having to fix them. I have written fan material for RPG's in the past when I had the time, wouldn't do it for a quid, only the love of the hobby, like most long time RPG'ers I know a socially unacceptable amount of facts about weapons, firearms, explosives, toxins, medical technology and chemistry.
Erl of Ingst
Caucasian Redhead (do they come in any other brand than Caucasian?), 23 years old, 5'9"-5'10", 120-140 lbs (I live a strange life), American with some knowledge of Russian (far too little for how long I've lived here). I'm a child of chaos, but a lover of order. I try not to give myself labels for fear of the fanatic behavior that frequently follows, the desire to be unique, and the knowledge I'll quickly change anyway. For some reason I've had an unusually easy life, but sadly I'm very lazy. I'm a technophile.

I'm currently a volunteer in Kazakhstan, but I return to America in less than 3 months. I teach English but decided long ago I'm already bored of it. I have a degree in Psychology but decided long ago I'm already bored of it. I'm thinking I want to return to study Architecture or Civil Engineering, but so far my plans are vague. I want to learn Chinese (Mandarin) and Japanese (for the tech).

My history with gaming is boring as I've never found a group that lasts longer than a month or two. I love the complexity, technology, story, and roleplay-ability of Shadowrun. It also has a quality that keeps a strangely diverse group of people (as we can see here).

The characters I play frequently represent my desires and fears, but I guess that is more typical that not.
McCummhail
QUOTE (Erl of Ingst @ Aug 26 2009, 08:25 AM) *
Redhead
Hail fellow brother of Argon!
Straight Razor
Well..
6' 165lbs
nashville, tn
European decent with heavy native american features.
speek English and some Japanese(tourist level)

lots of collage, but no degrees yet. I'm sorta of an professional student. I'm always in and out of class. I'm just not happy unless i have at least a few classes in a year. I'm just now coming to terms with aspect of my self. lol

I hope to get back in to collage and finish up a BS in cellular molecular biology with a focus in human genetics. I'v been working on getting my massage therapist license for the past few years on and off. I'll have that done on Dec 6 of this year. YEA!! going to use that to pay for the rest of my collage.
I'd like to actually make it to med school someday.

as for what i do.. I have had a number of carriers. I owned my own 1-hr photo lab, though that ended in poorly. I built blimps of a number of years. (yes like the goodyear blimp, no not the goodyear blimp.) During that time i built the worlds largest remote controlled aircraft. Got to work with a lot of really cool people on a lot of really cool projects... for the DOD, so that's all i can say about that.

Now I'm a jeweler, I did a 2yr apprenticeship with Shane Co. I miss the people and the company, but not the management. I am currently employed with Jared. Been there for a year as of last month. I like my job there too.

As for hobbies. Well... I have been into pen and paper RPG's since i was 14. My first ever game was earthdawn. Moved to D&D and then found SR back in 02', been hooked ever since. Played all the whitewolf systems, but i could never really get into them.
I have been trying to wirght, but i'm having hard time devoting the time to it.
I like to build things. I'm currently making a japanese tea house in my back yard using only hand tools and traditional japanese joinery. no nails, screws or glue.
also trying to teach my self watch/clock repair. I have several electronics projects going on. Like i said l like building stuff.
I'm also into martial arts. aikido and kempo mostly. lived at an aikido dojo for a year. Been trained in kenpo by both a first generation tracy, and Ed Parker instructors.
BlacKat
Lets see...

Living in upstate NY (Rochester) since about 93. College degree in IT/Network Administration. Currently doing Sys admin for Windows and Legacy VAX/VMS systems (Yes people still use these systems). White male, 34, a bit overweight (damn desk jobs), used to practice Northern Wushu Kung-Fu and may get back to it one day. Occasionally active in the SCA. Only fluent in 1 language, English, but know a smattering of French and Spanish.

Been gaming since 85. Started with Basic D&D and went from there. Picked up SR with 1st Ed. Also did Mechwarrior for a long time. Been on these boards since before it was DumpShock (1997 or so). Though I do not post very often.

BlacKat
Tiger Eyes
This is more fun than the "getting to know you" game at the Mom's Club! smile.gif

I'm a 34 year old woman - of a variety of nationalities, mostly Caucasian but with enough Cherokee that I don't sunburn and avoided stretch marks - and a married mother of two; a 7 year old girl and a 5 year old boy. I'm 5'3" (with shoes), 110 lbs, and despite my age, still get carded. smile.gif My naturally dark hair started to go gray shortly after my son began walking (how exactly did the human race manage to survive more than one generation???). My husband is Upper Management for a Megacorp. I left my well paying Corporate America job 7 years ago to become a stay-at-home mama. I now write for Shadowrun, as many of you may know, primarily the fluffy bits. I have a BS in Botany and a BA in Creative Writing, and I started playing SR in college and never looked back. I have a incompetence in Navigation and an avid love of hiking, which has led me to become proficient at wilderness survival. wink.gif In urban areas, I'm content to let someone else make sure I get where I'm supposed to go (as anyone who hung out with me at GenCon can attest to). I'd say something about my hobbies, but I'm afraid that someone at Catalyst will see that I'm admitting to hobbies and start pestering me about deadlines.

I currently live in Portland, Oregon but I'm moving to Anchorage, Alaska this year, and bemoaning the fact that I won't be able to drive to Disneyland on a semi-regularly basis (and the fact that there just aren't a lot of options for sexy clothes in 0 degree weather).
BishopMcQ
A southern California native, I'm 28 years old. I currently live in San Diego, but miss Seattle and Lyon and think regularly about moving back. Fluent in English, Conversational in French and I can muddle my way through written Spanish. Single, caucasian male, 6' and 175 lbs.

I also work for one of the megacorps--a multi-national shipping company. Graduated with a Bachelors in History, Emphasis on pre-1800 Europe, with a minor in Psychology. College basically taught me how to write, think, and listen. These are the basic skills which I implement a work, even if I only apply the knowledge to other things. I'm a collector of odd trivia and remember small details that people talk about and never expect others to recall.

I'm familiar with ceramics, history, practical applications of firearms, computer networking, chemistry, logic puzzles, fencing, weight-lifting, applied martial arts, and baking.
Navarre
I'm a 29 year old male currently living in the Chicagoland area, though I grew up in a tiny town in Northern Michigan (had to drive 3 hours to get to a mall.) 5'6" 175 lbs. Caucasian.

I have a Bachelor's degree in Technical Communication with a concentration in Computer Science, and no real interest in working in an IT field... Oops.

I am currently in an engineering position, where I shepherd clients through the process of lighting their products on fire (no kidding, I watch things burn for a living).

My primary hobbies are RPG's, board games, and SCA fencing. I love to read.
Adarael
I love the disproportionately large representation of Japanese-speakers on a Shadowrun board. Not exactly surprising, but still funny & awesome.
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (Method @ Aug 25 2009, 03:00 PM) *
Started a thread like this many moons ago (LINK). Its interesting to see how peoples lives have changed over the years.

Yup. Thanks for bringing up that link, I remember there was a similar thread ages past and you're right about seeing how people's lives have changed.

Lawyer with a Chemical Engineering degree and a minor in history. Currently, I work for the government.

Chinese ethnicity, parents are from Hong Kong so I can speak Cantonese and understand a little bit of Mandarin. Grew up in the Deep South and now living in the DC metroplex, so when I say I'm Southern Chinese, I really mean it... (Hong Kong being in southern China).
Sticks
39 year old father of three.

Born lived and probably will die in Ayr, a tourist town on the West Coast of Scotland, 30 (ish) miles South of Glasgow.

Qualified ( sic ) Musician and Percussionist, worked with many things in my time including, auto-repair, sales, warehousing and storage, electronic assembly and food production. Currently infiltrating the UK branch of Wal-Mart from the inside with a view to bringing down the whole damn corp. Still playing in local pub bands, and doing some tuition on the side.

Started gaming in the early 80's by writing my own system for my group of friends, money was scarce and times were hard frown.gif, moved into the old TSR Marvel Superheroes game which i played for years, dabbled in D&D, Warhammer 40k and Warhammer RPG, TMNT the game, Rifts, Sla Industries basically whatever i could get my hands on i played.

A lifelong reader of as much Sci-Fi and fantasy as i could get, i got the first secrets of power book out of the local library on spec', and for the next few weeks could be found in a corner muttering about shooting dragons with mini-guns, from then i was hooked, found the old first edition rules(BBB) and london sourcebook in a secondhand book store and have them still, along with most paper releases up till 2nd Ed. As age, marriages and kids came along the gaming group dried up; but my love for the Sr universe and backstory never died, i continue to read avidly and would love to game again in the future. Had mild literary aspirations in my youth, probably why i became the resident GM and still find myself knocking up interesting scenarios and tidbits that i never use. frown.gif . When i eventually got online and found Dumpshock i was in awe, all these people who also loved the game and a few who had made the same links and connections in the meta-plot, been lurking ever since, dont say much; usually cause i feel others are better qualified than me, last rules i played were 2nd Ed and Ancient History seems to have all the geek info sewn up biggrin.gif , seriously dude i'm gonna put a Tm on my name as soon as we figure out who used it first.

To finish i would just like to gush a bit and say to all my fellow Dumpshockers, its an honour to read yer views and occasionally add my own, long may we and the game continue.

Werewindlefr
I live in Detroit, Michigan, although I've moved there 18 months ago; previously, I was living in Creteil, France - that's 10 km south-south-east of Paris, and I've studied in Caen fo my Bachelor's/Master's - the major city razed in the Normandy landings.
I am currently a High-Energy Physics (aka particle physics) graduate Student at Wayne State University. I speak English quite fluently, at least fluently enough to play RPGs in the US. I've been playing roleplaying games for 10 years now, starting with WoD but quickly bringing Shadowrun 3rd edition to the table wink.gif.
LurkerOutThere
I am a 28 (as of yesterday) anglo male who might be best and generously described as a mutt. My ancestors were never the guys in the army with horses but they likely at least had their own swords or spears as the case may be. I'm ex-military comm guy who a few years ago left the military-industrial complex to go back to school full time. At which point I got tired of being poor and went back to work in the civilian sector. I took a ten grand pay cut but ultimately I sleep better at night. I was disabled in the military due to a fatefull run in with a hum-vee which I won in that I survived. I am 6'3 and clock in at around 280 pounds and take great pride in the fact that the last physical confrontation I was in not only was not initiated by me but ended with me standing and the other person not and me asking them if they wanted to continue. Last week I proposed to a beautiful woman with her parents looking on and despite what self preservation instincts might have screamed at her she agreed to marry me. Fortunately she is at least as big a gamer as I am so I anticipate no major changes to my life on that score until children enter the pciture some time at least a year or so down the road. My hobbies outside of gaming are hunting. I am only fluent in english however I understand Korean and speak it a bit. My hobbies outside of gaming involve amateur game programing and occasionally hunting. I maintain active first aid, CPR, and disaster response certifications through the red cross and have volunteered with them in the past. I live in Omaha NE USA, by choice as I like having four seasons and my family is here.
TheOneRonin
34 years old, married, father of 2 (one more on the way in October), currently living in North Carolina but originally from the Louisiana Gulf Coast. Currently managing the support desk for the EPA. Prior Service Army Mechanized Infantryman (dismount), avid gun/ballistics nut, martial arts enthusiast (starting training in Inosanto Blend [Muay Thai, Wing Chun, Kali] JKD back in 91, dabbled in Judo and Krav Maga, currently training hard in Modern Arnis), 20-year roleplaying vet (started with D&D and Robotech, then picked up SR in '94), and electronic gaming fan (Xbox360/Wii/PC).

Also, I spend lots of time watching the Military Channel and UFC. And did I mention I'm a big Star Wars fan?
Eric
37 male of Polish/Irish/English descent. Married 3 years with an 18-month old daughter. Am a manager at a tv station in Wisconsin. Started gaming in 1982, got into Shadowrun in college. Fell away from it for awhile after college, but starting to get back into it (although I will confess, I play more D&D than SR - hope that doesn't get me booted from the site). Otherwise, spend my free time with my family, working with my parish and local Knights of Columbus, hunting, fishing, watching movies, and playing games.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Grinder @ Aug 25 2009, 11:16 PM) *
He's overcompensating. wink.gif

Am not O.o
What would i compensate?
There is nothing WORTH compensating <.<#
Wombat
I'm a 23 year old American male. I spent the last 5 years in the US Marine Corps as an Arabic Linguist, so I'm fluent in English and decent enough at Arabic. I just got out at the end of June and am getting ready to go back to school at the end of September for a BA in Environmental Studies.
McAllister
I'm a 20 year old American male. Given the number of hours I've spent talking/theorizing about pen-and-paper RPGs, it's positively embarrassing how few I've spent ever playing them. So if you're ever in southern Maryland...

But I digress. I attend a small public college, where I am studying Psychology, Women Gender and Sexuality, Film and Media, French and Other Shit, in that order. A good man once took me on a trip with some of my peers to go shoot skeet at a sportsman's club, and I've decided I'm going to buy a firearm as soon as I have somewhere to put it. Interestingly, if I wanted to buy a handgun I'd need a license, but I could go buy a shotgun or rifle right now. My reasons for owning a firearm will be 1. zombies, 2. in case I need to overthrow the government, and 3. just in case. Again, those are in order.

I have a short list of things I've decided to do before I die. This list is in order, but it's the order in which I decided there are Things To Do, not the order in which they'll be accomplished. 1. I will hug a penguin. Doesn't it look like they'd just be so much fun to hug? Might have to break into a zoo at some point. That'd be the world's strangest shadowrun. 2. Own the collected works of Robert Heinlein. I don't live like he writes, but I wish I did, and nobody else turns a premise like "what if we made the moon into a giant prison planet?" into an amazing novel like he does. 3. I will hold friend auditions. I plan to make a number of posters, and put them around wherever I am living when I decide to do this; candidates will assemble at the specified place and time, we will all hang out together, and if any qualify for the position, I'll call them after. The trick will be to attract people who see the ad and think "Huh, that's a weird idea, but why not?" instead of people who are incredibly lonely and more emotionally needy than I'm ready to deal with.
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Aug 25 2009, 09:29 PM) *
. Extensive collection of comics and books, particularly Lovecraft, his immediate influences, and his contemporaries;

ooo I didn't know you like Lovecraft. love.gif

I guess if I make an entry I should go on them. Married white female, living north of Philadelphia. I've player SR on and off since 1st ed came out and my D&D group was looking for a break. We use to play weekly driving up to New York for games but that put a lot of miles on the car and it got harder when the main GM moved to New Mexico. The last time I played was Saturday.
I grew up in New York, my parents were French. I love books, cloths and cooking and have a fondness for Italian handguns. I have outstanding night vision and a severe garlic allergy-so I have a particular fondness for vampire lore.
12 years of Catholic school didn't take, thanks so much Holy Child, I'm a practicing Wiccan. To pay for said books/cloths/food/bullets I use to be a bill collector in the Bronx and Manhattan. In a much safer world I'm now a licenced financial advisor. Yes that means I spend a lot of time talking to people about investments and am told I have a positive talent for making understandable to the elderly semi-complex financial terms.

While talking to particularly dense individuals I often indulge in the fantasy of imagining strangeling them with their own pearls!
Neraph
I'm in the D/FW megaplex of Texas, and I work at a FedEx airport as contract security. I've gotten my GED (would have gotten the diploma, but my father moved out and caused us to lose 2 houses, so I couldn't finish Homeschooling, as the books kept getting lost in the move), and I have 15 credits to my name towards a Buisness/Administration bachellors degree. My family is largely military (mother, brother, 2 uncles, 3 grandfathers, my father washed out, I'm planning on it, my little brother is planning on it... that's all I can think of right now), so we've moved a lot.

I've studied martial arts for something around 15 years now: Tae Kwon Do, Hapkido, Aikido, Judo, Jujuitsu, Tai Chi, Karate, Ninjutsu... I'm forgetting like 6 more. I'll track down that list I made. My martial arts also includes weapons forms: katana, wakizashi, broadsword, longsword, rapier (I don't like it), saber, hand-and-a-half, shortsword, dagger (many lengths), throwing weapons (knives [I suck at them], shuriken, spikes, ect.), morning star, mace, flail, whip (I'm not too good at that one), chain, kama, nunchaku, sai, staff, spear, polearm, projectile weapons (I can hit my own arrow in the bullseye at 60 feet), and probably some more weapons I cant remember/don't want to take the effort to remember. I know a lot about causing pain.

I also know first aid; I was a Boy Scout for 3 years, and first aid is required for security officers.

If you couldn't tell from some of my earlier posts or my sig, I'm a Christian. As in, really a Christian (most people who claim to be actually aren't). I've chosen Christianity over many of the alternatives after a (less than some) colored youth of studying many religions, including (but not limited to) Wicca, Zoroastrianism, many flavors of so-called Christianity (the actual beliefs of, say, the Mormons are dramatically different than the Jehova's Witnesses, for instance, and most of the branches do not follow the original text at all and tend to teach what the Bible would call "abomination"), and Druidism.

I've been gaming for more than a decade; started with D&D 3rd edition and moved to Shadowrun when I could know right from wrong.

I speak English as my primary language, and know a good amount of German, and can feel my way blindly through a number of other languages like Japanese and Latin. The anime watching helped my Japanese a lot.
ShadowPavement
30 Year old married male and father of a crazy two year old who lives in central Maine. I'm French Canadian by "birth" (I'm adopted) and I'm a physicist by training and physics teacher by trade. I train heavily in Okinowan Goju-Ryu and have been in Bujinkan Ninjutsu and Okinowan Uechi-Ryu for close to 23 years now.

I hunt dear and bear every year as my father is a master guide in both Maine and New Brunswick, and I have a thorough understanding of civilian firearms, but don't own many myself.

Started gaming my freshman year of highschool in D&D and picked up 2nd edition Shadowrun when I ended up transfering to a magnet school for my junior year.

My wife and I are active medieval re-enactors which takes up most of our weekend time and I just started running SR4 this past march after putting SR aside for about 5 years to play Eberron and Star Wars Saga Edition.
Freejack
From: Currently Longmont Colorado, a bit north of Denver. This is my 46th move and I'm 52. Been gaming since I was a kid. Played D&D in 1976. Paranoia, Car Wars, Talisman, and then stumbled upon Shadowrun.

Do: I'm a Senior Unix Admin. The company I work at provides emergency 911 services to about 92% of the US and now Canadian market. So there's a good chance that if you call 911, the PSAP is communicating with a server I manage.

Been mucking with computers since 1979 so I do like what I do smile.gif

Hobbies: Computers (well yea), motorcycles (just finished a 5,000 road trip that included GenCon; http://www.schelin.org/20090808 ), gaming (all types).

One little note. I'm somewhat picky when I read. I read a lot so when I get to a typo in a book I'm reading, it's like a scab. I keep going back to it and picking at it. I was surprised to receive an e-mail back in January while we were preparing to move asking if I'd like to help with the Shadowrun books. So I've been helping proofread when I get free time. It's cool to help and to see my name in the Proofreading credits in two books so far biggrin.gif

Carl
deek
33 year old white male (german/italian descent) born in Fort Lauderdale, FL but have lived in Indiana about 30 years of my life (about 24 of those years in Fort Wayne). I've been married for 5 years, father of two.

I've been gaming since I was about 8 (Intellivision, Atari, Commodore). I got my first taste of role-playing games in the late 80s and have been playing ever since (mostly DnD, but SR1 & SR4 come in a close second). I fell in love with computers in the early 90s and started college with focus in computer science and mathematics. After 12 years, I finally graduated with a business degree in information systems. I've been building and repairing computers since the mid-90s, with a short stint as a freelance programmer. Recently, besides gaming and the occasional favor, computers are just a hobby. I've been working as a software analyst for a life insurance and retirement company the past 8 years.

Besides computers and games, which is somewhat of a common thread with most of my friends, I enjoy reading (classic literature), writing (reviews, short stories and other fiction), photography (film and digital) and most recently, manual typewriters.

I've dabbled in philosophy (both eastern and western), zen buddhism, the Japanese language, woodworking and psychology. All are still secondary interests that I don't spend as much time in as I once did.
Ego Mcmahon
im a 23 year old male living in plymouth, england

ive been playing shadowrun for about 19 months and already have more ways to abuse the rules then 99% of the rest of my team. before that i played dungeons and dragons, world of darkness, marvell.

I've been in and out of work since i left college doing various different things, ive recently started working as a labourer on construction sites. I'm engaged to my partner who i've been with for 18 months and who introduced me to the game. some of you may have seen her round, she goes by cross the medic or something similar.
underaneonhalo
I'm a 28 year old white male and have been in a serious relationship for about 6 years now. I live a bit north of Atlanta, GA in a town called Kennesaw. Yes, the town with the law that all property owners must own a gun. I am a carpenter as well as a painter, drywall installer/finisher, and all around handy kind of guy. Recently I've mostly been doing asphalt sealcoating with my buddy of 20 years because I just really enjoy it. In short I am a general subcontractor. I'm taking a medical transcription course at the moment so that I can work part time from home as well.

I am the product of poor Scottish and Irish immigrants mingling with Native Americans (I am 1/8 Cherokee to be exact) on the outskirts of Savannah. In other words I am a genuine Georgia Cracker.

I started playing Shadowrun in 2nd edition and I love what they've done with 4th. In my free time I play the bass guitar well enough to make people that don't play think I'm pretty hot shit, I also fiddle with the guitar and sometimes drums. Music is the only thing that keeps me sane. I paint miniatures as a hobby these days. I haven't really had the urge to play any of my 40K armies since GW raped my army lists. I'm a certified gunsmith and I love taking machines apart.

With languages I am fluent in Idiot, and fairly competent at English. I speak enough Spanish that I didn't starve to death while staying in Spain for a couple months, and I have an on and off relationship with German. The majority of my actual language experience comes from long term association with friends and family speaking Louisiana Creole and Anglo-Romani.

I'm thinking that in the next few years I'll be moving to southern Tennessee, probably the Red Bank/Signal Mountain area.

Crust Pizza in Red Bank rocks by the way.
Aristotle
I'm a 33 year old caucasian male (250# - 6'3") and citizen of the United States. I grew up in Hanover, PA; but I currently live in Northern VA (Ashburn area). I've played Shadowrun (all editions) since I was about 19. Although I have not played for a few years, mostly for lack of a group.

I previously managed a production team for a company that built high end workstations and servers for extreme environments (i.e. all branches of the armed forces, FEMA, Red Cross, and even formula 1 race teams). I currently work technical support for the Department of Homeland Security.

I'm constantly tinkering with tabletop game mechanics, coming up with plots for campaigns, or designing home-brew game worlds. I spend absurd amounts of time playing World of Warcraft (Horde side on the Earthen Ring server, Guild Name: Assiduous Wake). I'm running the daily heroic as I write this. smile.gif

I've used the handle 'Aristotle' for years. It was my very first Shadowrun character. A 16 year old decker with a chip on his shoulder, freckles, a mop of curly red hair, and a collection of vintage game consoles). He ran an arcade of sorts on the edge of the barrens. It was more or less neutral territory for local gangs, mostly because Ari's friends (shadowrunners) were kind of imposing and were frequently present. I more commonly go by 'Hildy' elsewhere now. It's a childhood nickname based on my rather long last name.
Rad
Pismo Beach, California, U.S.A.

(Yes, the town mentioned in the Bugs Bunny cartoons--used to be a big Hollywood vacation spot back in the 30's-50's.)

I'm currently co-owner of a small fine art gallery and government teat-sucker on account of the SSI I get due to being disabled. (I have some lingering memory/organizational problems due to psych meds pushed on me in my youth, but I prefer to think of it as protection money from society.)

Never graduated high-school because my transcripts were "lost" by the school district when I changed schools in 11th grade, and I didn't feel like going through all that BS again. (I tested at college level when I was 7, so I was beyond bored at that point.) Did a few months of college before dropping out due to illness, didn't go back due to boredom.

I live on about $1,000 a month, sink about $300 of that into a "job" that only requires me to work one day a month on average and makes absolutely no money, and generally try to keep myself entertained while I wait for the world to burn down.
Da9iel
Hmm. Nothing's changed since the previous thread.

[paste] I'm a failed aero engineer, former airline mechanic, current water treatment plant operator. Oddly enough, while still studying to be an engineer I played a character who was kicked out of college and became a mechanic. Water treatment gets me thinking about shadowrun all the time.[/paste]

Only thing that's changed is now I'm across the river from Fargo, ND, I'm older (35), and have a daughter. I was in Minneapolis, MN for all the previous history.
Summerstorm
Well... i am a 27-year-old german guy living near Wolfenbüttel at the moment. I am trained as an... hm do i have to translate this? Ah lets just say i do computer stuff; low level. But i am on the job hunt now, after i quit college without a degree and did some odd jobs for a year.

I played roleplaying games for... hm about ten years now. Started with Shadowrun (2nd edition) and the Dark Eye. But i LOVE gaming in general (all kinds: tabletop, computer, boardgames, cards... all) so i tried MANY games and designed a few myself. At the moment i am pretty lazy and inactive. But my other hobbies (if someone kicks my ass so i move) are: Martial Arts (I trained mainly Shaolin Kempo Karate, but read/look into more), gaming in all forms (i... WAS... a good chessplayer and play some video games) and i am a media-junkie: I love movies, series, animes, internetproductions and so on.

My main language is german, but all the movies i watch in original (often with english subtitles) improved my english a bit over normal learned-in-school abilities. I now even sometimes curse in english... because it sounds cooler *g*.

Hm. that pretty much all about me.... aside from the dozens of quirks and weird aspects i won't go in detail on *g*.

See ya
Demonseed Elite
Let's see...

I'm 31 years old, born in Queens, NY but currently living in New Hampshire. Got my B.A. in Film at Cornell University after I decided the pre-med program I was in (focused on genetic engineering) was not what I wanted to do with my life. I considered Computer Science, but the Film program was flexible enough that I was able to take half my courses as electives anyway and I focused on web design, programming, and the technology side of film (video production, audio engineering, etc.). Now I am a Multimedia Engineer working for a government-affiliated non-profit doing everything from building websites to designing video-on-demand web portals to shooting video for events. On the side, I've been a freelance writer for Shadowrun, my first gig being pitching Brainscan. I'm recently retired from that after some business-side disagreements with CGL, though I still love the game just as much.

I'm single and have a massive Maine Coon cat named Mocha. I am thoroughly addicted to coffee, love to write, and spend way too much time playing World of Warcraft (Horde side, Scarlet Crusade server). At various points of my life I've learned German, Russian, Japanese, and Mandarin Chinese, but lack of use has made me very rusty in all of them. I secretly wish I could draw or paint and I'd love to go back to school but I have no idea what field I'd pursue at this point.
Snow_Fox
co eds? wink.gif
Demonseed Elite
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Aug 29 2009, 09:46 AM) *
co eds? wink.gif

That's not a field, that's an extra-curricular activity! wink.gif
Snow_Fox
Not according to a b/f I had when I was in college.
Krypter
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite @ Aug 29 2009, 01:41 PM) *
my first gig being pitching Brainscan.

Brainscan was good.

I'm a 30-something systems integrator from Oakville, Canada doing work in geospatial data analysis, data mining, crime statistics and social network analysis. Married to a hot asian ninja, err, I mean woman and starting to settle down. I've travelled all around Europe, China, India, Australia and North America. Enjoy reading the great literary Classics, canoeing in the great outdoors, biking, rockclimbing and exploring nooks and crannies. Especially crannies. Trained in scuba diving, basic shooting, wilderness survival, five-animal style kung fu, armizare (renaissance swordsmanship) and international politics. That last one was the worst. Fluent in English, Polish and a smattering of French. Addicted to internet news and various RPGs, such as CthulhuTech, Planescape, Rifts and Talislanta. Fond of dogs with short legs, like corgies.
Lugburz
Nice to meet you all. Fascinating read.

28, male, red-headed, descended from Celts and Gauls. Born and raised on a dairy farm in the Uplands region of Wisconsin. (Owing to this background, I carry a pocketknife at all times.) Grew up as a loner and continue to be one- I've never been in love and am not the least bit sad about it. I have a B.S. in Art. (???!) Currently apprenticing as a restorer of violin-family instruments. Don't play music, but I'd love to. If given the choice, I would play violin/mandolin on an Irish folk group, guitar in a grunge-type rock band, or viol in a baroque ensemble. Seriously. I could go either way. To understand my character, I would invite you to imagine an amalgamation of these characters from books you might have read: Toad of Wind in the Willows, Arthur Dent of Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and Samwise Gamgee/Bilbo Baggins.

Having finally become a tradesman, I have fulfilled one of my life goals. The others are to have some kind of adventure equal to that of my great-grandfather, (who worked a bunch of jobs out west in the late 19th century) to learn to play some kind of musical instrument, to return to the countryside and settle down once my wanderlust has been appeased, and to marry a witch. Like a real one. If any actual witches are reading this, you are hereby authorised to turn me into a crow to prove it. Thanks. Another lasting goal is to continue making everyone's day a little more interesting/bizzare- as if any of you couldn't tell from reading this [truthful] nonsense.

My entry into the world of role-playing games came quite late in my life- 2005 or 2006 or something, and started with the "Serenity" game. Shadowrun 4th is the only Shadowrun I've ever known, which is kind of regrettable in a way- I imagine that I would have an even more special relationship with it if I'd known it longer. *shrug* I play some other games, too, and am gearing up for what will hopefully be a NOT completely failed GMing career.

EDIT: Dagnabbit, forgot that other crap everyone else is mentioning. Studied French, German, Spanish, and forgot it all. Still remember some useless Japanese- don't want to live there, but it would be nice to visit again and look at some more architecture/ceramics. I studied Judo and Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu, liked Judo the best. The Judo club I studied with is now disbanded, but I would drop everything to return if they started again. I've also killed thousands of thistles with a machette. I'm a self-taught adherent to the Luke Skywalker School of Unbridled Flailing.
McAllister
First thought while reading Krypter's post: "Negative Quality: Media Junkie."

Second thought: "You can't write "corgies" without writing "orgies."
Krypter
QUOTE (McAllister @ Aug 29 2009, 11:51 AM) *
First thought while reading Krypter's post: "Negative Quality: Media Junkie."
That's a negative?!?

QUOTE (McAllister @ Aug 29 2009, 11:51 AM) *
Second thought: "You can't write "corgies" without writing "orgies."
Well, they are loveable.
McAllister
wub.gif
Method
Ewwww...
ShimmerGeek
Hi guys smile.gif

Though I may aswell introduce myself with my first post!

I started Roleplaying *counts* Uhh, 3 years ago now - when I played in a Cyberpunk one-off, then followed that up a week later by joining an Ex Machina campaign. This led me to select Dark Future as my category at the Roleplaying Nationals that year, and I discovered Shadowrun! grinbig.gif Unfortunately, those two one-offs over that weekend have been the only time I've been able to play Shadowrun; however I ran a short campaign that summer (set in Hong Kong) and I'm about to GM a longer campaign starting in a few weeks twirl.gif

Ahem, anyways - that's how I came to be here introducing myself to you lovely people -

I'm a 22 year-old female Computer Games Programming student from Scotland; I Roleplay two or three times a week (currently playing Orpheus and running Nobilis; hopefully I'll soon be playing Unknown Armies, Orpheus and running Shadowrun) - I'm generally geeky in all sorts of ways (Videogames, Boardgames, Cardgames, Roleplaying Games, Gadgets, Reading, Sci-Fi/Supers/Fantasy in all forms... etc. etc.) twirl.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012