Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where ya from & what ya do
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Tyro
I was reading the recent thread on medically skilled shadowrunners and got to thinking about something I noticed a long time ago: Dumpshock is incredibly diverse, with a very high incidence of various industry professionals and other brainy types. It got me wondering about the actual ratios involved: gross income, location, profession, etc. Obviously this has the potential to be invasive; let me state right now that I'm merely curious and have no interest in the information other than satisfying my curiosity. I can't guarantee the motives of others who might read this.

I'll start. I'm medically disabled (chronic pain due to joint problems and scoliosis, Asperger's Syndrome, severe anxiety and depression). I live in Auburn, Washington State, USA off of government disability support (GAX & working on SSI if that means anything to you). By Dumpshock standards I'm pretty boring; I only speak 1 language fluently, I don't have a very high degree of education (high school diploma & some college), and I don't have a great deal of travel experience. I'm part of the Seattle area sex-positive community, and am involved in the BDSM lifestyle as well. I'm polyamorous, with a wife and 2 girlfriends (one of whom also dates my wife) as of this posting. Anyone else?

[Edit:] Changed a few things.
DarkKindness
Sure thing. I'm new to Dumpshock, but I've been following SR since the first printing of second edition.

I live in Fridley, MN, USA with my wife and our cats. I'm currently a behavioral therapist working with autistic children, but am in the market for a career shift. I'm fluent in English and speak a smattering of both Latin and Italian (though they're pretty close, linguistically), along with a few phrases in French and Chinese. I have a MA degree in Counseling Psychology, and am currently working on my Marriage and Family Therapy certificate and the subsequent licensure process.

Other demographic information that may be pertinent: I'm caucasian, of middle European ancestry, am not an active participant in any religions (though I have historically identified most strongly with Asatru and Wicca), and my parents are divorced (and have been since I was 12).
Tyro
Thanks very much, Kindness. Your quick and detailed reply was a much-needed pleasant surprise. Anyone else?
bmcoomes
Sure way not,

I'm a Correctional Officer for Grant County Sheriff's Office (thats in Ephrata, WA US). I know parts of a few languages mostly dealing with Martial arts, or commanding somebody. I've been in the US Navy too, I only have a diploma and some college I'm just not a collage type. there we go who's next.

Brent
X-Kalibur
I'm a soon to be nurse, never even got my AA, just dicked around taking various classes for fun. I work in healthcare doing claims and authorizations, as well as some back end coding. I know a little bit about everything and have been playing games (mostly PC and console, TT didn't enter until middle school) for 20 years. I'm also a gun enthusiast and a bit of a technophile.
HappyDaze
I currently work for the US Army as a RN on a med/surg unit. I was working at a civilian hospital on a cardio-pulmonary surgical stepdown/progressive care unit, but my new job is both easier work and much more lucrative. I was previously a correctional officer (in FL and TN) and later a probation officer (in TN) before I went to work in the 'softer' field of mental health which then led me into nursing.
Medicineman
I'm from Düsseldorf,Germany.
I'm in the Marketing Business,Do a lot of Computerwork and thats why I'm a little Overweight.
I Used to do some Martial Arts (Tae-Kwon-Do,Aikido,Wing Chun) but recently I've had some trouble with my Knees so I had to stop.
I Play RPGs for more than 25 Years ,Shadowrun for about 15 Years (starting with SR2)
English is not my native Language,but I hope I can make myself clear

with a german Dance
Medicineman
CodeBreaker
Sounds good.

I am from Scotland, near Dundee if anyone knows the terrain. Small town that's only claim to fame is that the writer of Peter Pan was born here (I live a stones throw away from his old home). At the moment I am doing the University thing (Physics and Computer Game Development), last year I did straight Computing. Hobbies include Gaming of all sorts, table and computer, some Astronomy and sleeping. On the side I do some creative writing, currently doing some freelancer stuff for an old friends custom setting (which should hopefully be published, which would be nice). A few years ago I was diagnosed with Grave's Disease (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graves%27_disease) and Gilbert's Syndrome (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilbert%27s_syndrome), so I am a walking talking icon of poor health. I am also Dyspraxic so I have difficulty with motor control and putting my thoughts into written word.

Other stuff: I am a nineteen year old white male. I am a strong atheist with a general belief that structured religion tends to lead to Bad Things but am fine with people believing whatever they want too. I have an older half-brother, and a younger sister. Parents are technically divorced, waiting for my sister to turn 18 to avoid the stupidly high costs. I only speak English, but can generally read French and some German. I am a fervent technophile, and I am constantly irritated by the people who hold back certain areas of research because of their own moral code (ala Stem Cell research).
TheOOB
I live in Washington State, USA, in the Sea-Tac area (thats the area between Seattle and Tacoma...yes that Seattle). I'm a car wash attendant by trade, and currently working on my Associate of the Sciences in Computer Science. I harbor aspirations of one day working for the gaming industry, though my own goals are kinda vague at the moment.

I'm afraid I'm not terribly interesting otherwise, I know a tad of Japanese, enough to let someone know who little I know and apologize when I make an ass of myself, but mostly it's just good only west coast style English. I've been playing RPGs for about 14 years, and Shadowrun for about 4.
Phelan Patrick
I'm from the Philippines.

In between jobs right now. Used to work in a call center as tech support for a US based broadband provider. Will be starting with another job in another call center as tech support for another BB provider but this time based out of australia.

Though I graduated with a degree in business administration, what I learned was totally useless. So here I am, a call center agent for the past 7 years and for the foreseeable future.

Been playing RPGs way back since elementary, about 20 years ago. Did mostly GURPS and Battletech, though I have also tried some ADnD, Space Frontiers, Top Secret, and several Palladium games (TMNT, Robotech). SR2 was the last RPG I was into before I stopped and got into college. Just started back into SR4 while on my in-between-jobs vacation. Don't have a group yet but spent some of my savings buying the books online. Even if I cant find a group locally I plan to continue collecting books again.

As a side note, I have a wife and a 2 yr old daughter.
Cadmus
Living GA corrently, North of Atlanta, I'm a lowgrade tech type at my job which is in the service ind. smile.gif
GreyBrother
Austria, Northeastern part (the flat one). A small village near Melk (pay a visit, i've heard it's worldfamous). Right now i work as a wholesaler for computer games which i'll probably do for a time, but i try to hit some higher education someday just for the sake of the knowledge. My hobbies include gaming on the PC and Wii, sleeping, meditating. My roleplaying habits started 2003 with my first corebooks being Werewolf the Apocalypse and Call of Cthulhu but i was hooked up to Shadowrun at that moment. After trying to set up some chronicles with friends we fired up a Shadowrun team and had our first runs. Then fourth edition came up, i sucked the book into me and my GM too and that's when i said "you know guys, those rules are kinky. Should we change?" And so we did and since now every Thursday (with some break ups) we play Shadowrun. One team is a group of shadowrunners in Seattle (our Classic), then we made some civilians who just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and now i guide my players with some rookie runners through Viennas Shadows.

I'm 23, overweight and speak English and German fluently. I can read Dutch with troubles and try to get a grasp of Finnish and Russian. On the paper i am Roman-Catholic, but i prefer to call myself an Agnostic with a preferance for an animistic worldview. Atheism doesn't give me anything and i can't understand why people always misinterpret basic rules every faith offer.
Languages are something fluid for me, a notion a friend from Swiss dislikes with a passion when i "bastardize" Latin or try to go Italian on him (he's half-Italian).
Morally i am quite open-minded, a talent i attribute to my habit of making pet-peeves of certain things (don't ask me ever about my opinion on the nWoD or certain Retcons Blizzard did to the Warcraft universe). But i set up borders on some topics, but even then i at least try to come to an understanding with the subject in question. There could always be i point i miss. ("There's always a bigger Fish.")

Anything amiss?
Machiavelli
Aaaaah....i love stuff like that. Gives a little bit of a personal touch to our beloved dumpshockers. So, if everybody else joins, i can´t refuse to make my move, too.^^

I´m from the south of germany (like you may see on my profile infos - near Stuttgart or "Benztown" if you like that more) and currently 31-years old white male. Because i don´t think i will manage to become younger, this could change quite soon to a 32.^^ (in october if somebody wants to send me a present *koff*)

After my higher-school certificate, i tried to study law for a couple of years, but switched quickly to economics which i finished. Simultaniously i finished an apprenticeship as an management assisstant and an education as an foreign language correspondent. So my english should be quite good (at least one language if not german) and i like money.^^

I´m also educated in french (low school-niveau) and because i basically "grew up" in an italian family, i was capable of speaking italian until my teenager-times. Now i lost most of it but i still have a very italian temper (my second-familiy is from sicily, so you shouldn´t be my sister or be interested in my sister...you understand?^^) and a foible for edged weapons.^^

Up to now play i SR since 2nd edition and alltoghether for over 15 years i think. I also tried some other RPG´s (Vampire, Werewolve, Earthdaws, Das Schwarze Auge) but i didn´t manage to save one princess per day so i sticked with SR. wink.gif

I am not married, but i have a 19-year old girlfriend (no comments please, NO i don´t have a preference for young beautiful woman...right? wink.gif ) and a 6 year old son from an older relationship.
Chrysalis
I am from Finland. My father is Canadian and my mother is American, they met in Finland and had two kids (despite what rumors say, I believe I was born - not made).

Lived in Russia, Ireland, and Canada. I used to live in Glasgow, Scotland from 2004-2006. Started out part-time in a video rental (Moviebank) and got to run the place in a year. I also was in the TA, and was in the RE.

Went back to university and finalised my MA in English philology. Until a few months ago, I was working part-time at the Language Centre of the University of Oulu, Finland. The jobs that I did there habve by now completely dried up. I am now working in Libya as an English instructor for Berlitz Libya.

I still do proofreading work for the Language Services in Oulu and would like to set up a clearing house company so I can continue working on proofreading and translation work with colleagues.

I speak Finnish, English, some Russian, a little German, read Latin and Greek, and I am currently learning Dutch. I am also learning Libyan Arabic.

Worked as a freelance prostitute for a while, bar girl for a club, and a stripper in another club. Ended up getting to be AM in one.

I have been playing RPGs since I was 12, and have been continuing on and off for some time. I started playing Cyberpunk since I was 16 and started up the Edgerunner fanzine back in 1998 (I think). We ran for about 8 issues (I think). When Cyberpunk v3 came out, I really lost interest in Cyberpunk and moved on slowly to the Shadowrun forums. Here I am now. I think the future of gaming is in small FORGE pamphlet games and not large behemoths, like Shadowrun.

I have been LARPing since I was 16.

I am 29.

Last year I was the LCP of AIESEC Oulu and I found it highly challenging.

Nowadays my only RPGing, besides random forum posting, is freelance proofreading for Catalyst. It's work I like to do for free and joins my professional side with my gaming side.
DagdaMor
27 Years Old from the UK. Originally from Manchester now living in Oxford. I am a Computer Programmer/Sys Admin. I am married. I have been playing Shadowrun since 1st edition and have been a member of dumpshock for a loooong time (although only just started posting again after a long break) and the ShadowRN and ShadowTK mailing lists before that.

I speak English and German fluently. I speak passable Welsh, and can just about get by in French, Italian, Spanish and Chinese Mandarin. I also have A-Levels in Latin and Ancient Greek (I kind of collect languages as a hobby)
ravensmuse
Okay, why not?

I'm just recently 27 (Gencon was my surprise birthday gift from my girl) white male in a committed, live-in relationship in a tiny town north of Boston, MA, USA. Have you read Lovecraft? My town's the one that the protagonist of Shadow Over Innsmouth runs to after he escapes from Innsmouth. However, we're so tiny that we don't even show up on the radar when the local news does weather. Oh well.

Despite my charming and witty online persona, I'm just a quiet recovering geek working a cubicle job for a major insurance company, providing medical credentialing. Hey doctors: I'm that jerk you have to deal with when you try to join an insurance plan! Hate me! I say recovering geek in that I used to be your typical hardcore geek but after having met a wonderful girl who convinced me that there's more to life than downloading subtitled anime and slavering for the newest rpg books, I pretty much gave up the life (though I'm posting to DS and a few other places). I've only got a high school diploma and a smattering of college coursework done (Protip: never go to a college "because my friends are going there") and can only speak English and one or two phrases of French. I have thought about going back to school, probably for writing.

I've been playing rpgs since I was 12, which is the mid-90s / late half of 2e DnD. I have a gigantic and growing collection currently, though its very eclectic (the result of flea markets and various finds); the focus is on Planescape, Spelljammer, the rest of the 2e DnD campaign settings and classic DnD material, Werewolf:tA, Changeling:tD, and Shadowrun. My Planescape collection is getting closer and closer to being complete, and my current prize is a near complete collection of Iron Kingdoms material. I've also recently run into someone dumping their collection of Vampire:tM 2e material in a local bookstore, and I've become charmed by the stupid fun that the game really was back then.

My hobbies besides collecting rpg material include writing fiction (I'm trying to get published, but chronic laziness doesn't help), collecting and playing video games (just started trying to get a decent NES collection going), and flea marketing / antiquing with the girlfriend. My job's had me so busy lately that I just haven't had the time to play as many video games as I'd like...

That's about it.
BobRoberts
Sounds amusing!

I'm 32, from the UK, living in Surrey just South of London.

I dropped out of my university degree in Chemistry due to boredom, booze and laziness. Got my act together and ended up wandering into a job in the Market Research business, retraining as a programmer as I went on. Now a manager and dipping my toe into sales.

Have been roleplaying for years (started DnD when I was 11 or 12). Have played a bunch of systems over the years - Deadlands, DnD/D20, Star Wars, Ars Magica, Feng Shui and Shadowrun were topping my list... Been jonesing for the shadowrunning lately, but my group is a bit big to do it properly and we're all meshed into 4e DnD. So I'm poking around dumpshock to get my fix and have some giggles. smile.gif
Chrome Tiger
I am currently in Grand Rapids, MI. I am from a military family and am ex-military myself, so I have spent my days on the move. This is where I ended up, ironically where I began as my folks were living in Hawaii and visiting relatives when I was born at the local hospital. I am 6'4", decent shape, and am typically walking around with the military haircut I can never seem to get rid of no matter how hard I try.

I tend to get involved in a lot of things, as evident by my laundry list of interests. During high school, I was sort of a hacker geek. After high school I became a Navy spook. After that, I tried a change of venue and became an ER phlebotomist and lab tech. During the lab's computerization I was asked why I did not work with computers, upon seeing bigger dollar signs involved I agreed. I then got some certifications and worked at an ISP for nearly a decade. After that, as a network admin at a local manufacturer. Nowadays, I am an AV system automation programmer and absolutely dig it.

My hobbies include role-playing, auto mechanics and modification (heavy duty engine/trans replacement/alteration stuff, not ricer aluminum siding wing-type stuff), sketching, firearms (father is a licensed FFL dealer, how can I not be?), SCUBA diving, photography, programming, web design, console gaming, cooking (lots of cooking), and miscellaneous electronics/computer hacking (as in tinkering, not cracking).

I hold a black belt in Tae Kwon Do, a brown in Hapkido (though I have not practiced either in about 19 years), and have now gone down a less aggressive path with Aikido. I speak English natively, speak German and Japanese near-fluent, a little Russian and Hindi, and am learning Arabic.

I have been gaming since 1982 with the old school D&D. Since then, I have dabbled in pretty much everything with my favorites being Shadowrun and Traveller. I have been playing Shadowrun since day one and will continue to do so as long as I continue breathing. It is my ideal gaming world. I have run a couple tournaments at Gencon, done some playtesting, even run a big fansite for a while before the server's drive tanked. Hell, my first tattoo is likely to be the Shadowrun 'S' serpent logo. Stylized of course. Fanatic? Perhaps at times, but it is one of the hobbies that I can always turn to even if it is just sitting down to sketch out a troll or build a vehicle. I am also fortunate to have a wife that supports all of my habits, which helps. wink.gif

I have been rolling with the Dumpshock crew on and off for a while. Not even sure how long. At least as far back as when everyone was pretty active on the IRC channel. Late 90s, 2000 maybe? I know I was in the old house when a couple Dumpshockers came to visit for a week for gaming craziness. Though on the forums I am more of a lurker.

There, I think that about covers it.
The Canterbury Tail
Why not.

Born and bred in Northern Ireland where I spend the first nearly 19 years of my life (bar a few days.)

Moved to England (guess which city from my name) to attend university where I got a degree in Physics with Space Science and Systems (yes I'm a qualified rocket scientist.) Then spend 14 years living there mainly working as a programmer/Business Analyst.

Two years ago I finally got my paperwork through and moved to Canada, Toronto specifically, where I now work as an IT Business Analyst for a subscription radio company (you know, the one with the satellites and the King of All Media.)

Played Shadowrun since 1st edition, not been gaming much of late. Not really met up with any groups in Toronto but I need to get playing again (or GMing.)

Other interests include Japanese language, travel, reading extensively, science fiction in general, movies, computer games (probably far too many) and occasional writing with currently only one RPG supplement to my name.
otakusensei
I'm a 28 year old married white male, born in the state of Michigan and likely to die here eventually. I work as the entire IT department for a church based 501©3 non profit. I don't consider myself "religious" in the modern interpretation and the negative connotations there in, but I do belong to a openly evangelical church at the moment. While I don't agree with some of the tactics taken by the church, I'm heartened by some of the young people there who seem to "get it". That forcing a mindless obedience to a specific and often narrow interpretation of the bible will make nothing but enemies of the very people you are trying to help. The organization I work for split off from the Salvation Army over 111 years ago, partially based on the belief that if you want to help the needy you should meet their needs first and preach later.
I have a high school diploma, no college but nearly ten years of computer experience, no martial arts or survival training, speak only American English and possess a technofetish that extends to nearly all aspects of my life.
Shadowrun second edition was the first roleplaying game I ever played. My friends and I taught ourselves when we were 6th or 7th grade and I've been spreading the word ever since. It's always been my favorite setting and game, though I've spread out to play just about everything under the sun. Big focus currently on playing table top games over Skype, even adapting the Prime Time Adventures rules to the Shadowrun setting to speed up play and promote roleplaying over Skype.

That about sums me up
Angelone
I'm 28 years old and am currently in the U.S. Army stationed in Kaiserslautern Germany. Where I was born. I was a military brat and have been all over. I was working on an electrical engineering degree but have recently switched to physical therapy.
Shadowrun was the first rpg I remember playing. The genesis game got me into it. I haven't played a wide varity of pnp games. Just the big ones I guess dnd, wod, rifts, and Shadowrun.
I used to be an avid videogamer but have kinda burned out recently.
BookWyrm
I'm from Long Island. I'm between jobs right now.
McCummhail
It seems there are a number of well-rounded characters out there!

I am a 28 year-old Caucasian male of Scott-Irish descent.
I am a native English speaker, am fluent in Japanese, and can process smatterings of French, Spanish and Korean.
I studied Theater with a focus towards writing and management at a Large University. The University is also where I learned enough Japanese to be useful.
I am currently living and working in the Charlotte, NC area. I am an interpreter / translator / project coordinator for a Japanese manufacturing company.
I am about as lean as our manufacturing (meaning we both have some fat to trim).

I have experience with various martial arts. Primarily Karate, Capoeira, and now Sil Lum Guoshu.
I also proficient in net-fu (with a specialization in search-fu).

SR has been a significant part of my PnP experience for over 15 years now.
I finally made the leap from lurker to Dumpshocker this year.
nezumi
DeeCee, work on computers. Spent some time overseas when I was younger.
Stahlseele
Hamburg, Germany.
25 Years old. Male.
Between 180 and 190 cm tall(yeah, no, i don't understand how it can differ between those two numbers between several measurements either)
I weight in at . . too much i think, 100 to 115 kilogram or something or other. It comes with the Job <.<#
I do Tech-Support.
I collect weapons.
I like to know how to destroy things and people.
I like to know how to make stuff go boom or all melty and stuff.
I do not think that those are a particularly bad combination at all.
Zen Shooter01
I'm thirty four years old, Caucasian, 6'5"/1.95m, brown hair, blue eyes, 235 pounds/107 kg.

I'm originally from northeast Ohio, United States, and I spend a lot of time there, for business and family reasons. I live in Orlando, Florida, half an hour from Disney World. I'm a militant atheist and a cheerful polyamorist. I'm a great second amendment advocate - all free men own guns. I'm a businessman, and I'm a writer. I'm editing the upcoming comic Earth Liberation Force for Across The Pond Studios, and my novel, Sojourns On Mars, is available at podiobooks.com as well as on the Kindle.

I started RPGs when I was fourteen, with D&D 2nd ed. I started Shadowrun when the basic book was blue, and was all there was.
GreyBrother
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Aug 25 2009, 04:43 PM) *
Hamburg, Germany.
I do Tech-Support.
I collect weapons.
I like to know how to destroy things and people.
I like to know how to make stuff go boom or all melty and stuff.
I do not think that those are a particularly bad combination at all.

Awww aren't you a cute little fella? I really can imagine how'd you look in real life smile.gif
Ravor
Divorced father of three daughters. (Yeah, I've got primary custody.)

Born and raised in rural Wyoming, and if I have my way I'll die here. (My daughters are the Sixth Generation with the same mailing address, and the fifth to grow up on the family homestead.)

I make my money as an indepent contractor. (No, there isn't any money in Ranching, that's just an excerise in killing time, aka hobby.)
Critias
31 (32 next month), white fella, originally from California but a happy Kentucky transplant for most of my life (and planning to head to Texas in the next few years, so my wife can be back around her zillions of nieces and nephews and such). I've been gaming for about two-thirds of my time on this rock, I practice a mixture of JKD and Kali, shoot pistols and rifles, and have created my own martial art (not really) called "Dog Wrasslin'" from tromping around on the floor with my pups (one of which is about 90 pounds and has no idea of that fact).

In January I dropped a bunch of what I was juggling and went back to school full time to wrap up my degree. Since then, I've learned that college comes much easier to someone with some life experience and maturity (who's paying for tuition out of their own pocket, and as such shows up to class), and managed to get shanghaied into being an officer in Phi Alpha Theta, the international Honors History society, on campus.

I do freelance writing for a bunch of RPGs and wargames (no Shadowrun, yet), and I'm currently looking at a few publishing options for my novel. Most of my mundane jobs have been, well, mundane. Clerical temp, gas station register guy on overnights, and eight years or so working a cubicle at DHL.
ShaunClinton
I'm a Scottish male, living in glorious Glasgow. I studied Biochemistry at Glasgow University and now manage a lab where we manufacture synthetic DNA. I'm just about to start studying again, doing an MBA at Strathclyde Uni and have now been happily married for 2 years.

I can't claim too many special skills and my only language is English! However I make short films for a hobby (and a time consuming one at that) and generally like doing creative stuff. I'm passionately anti-religous and love debate about that and other subjects.

I've been roleplaying since I was 7 (started with WEG's Ghostbusters) and playing SR since someone showed me Shadowtech 16-17 years ago (still one of my favourite books!) I've played a couple of times but have generally been the GM for a number of long running campaigns (and a few shorter ones) across the various systems. I've recently finished up a seven year SR3 campaign and I'm looking forward to starting afresh with SR4.

As well as SR I've played D&D (which I generally hate but I played in one enjoyable campaign using 3rd edition), WEG Star Wars, WFRP 1st and 2nd editions (probably the most fun I've had roleplaying!), Dark Heresey, Mutants and Masterminds, Conspiracy X (total crap), Cybergeneration, Rifts, MERP and HERO System (starting with Champions before moving onto 5th edition - probably my favourite system!)

Shadowrun has always been the dominant game for me as it has a great combination of rules and setting, probably my second favourite in each and thus my overall favourite game! I've had a lot of awesome times playing it and look forward to many more.

As for Dumpshock I've been here on and off since the late nineties when I was at uni - over the years I've had a few different handles and every so often I get bored of the same arguments cropping up, at which point I vanish for a while before returning to see the old arguments trotted out in a slightly different format!
Apathy
I'm a 42 year old white male living in northern Virginia, US. I build/support financial analysis software for a long distance phone company. Before that I was a materials testing guy for a civil engineering company, and before that I was an armor officer in US Army. Married, no kids, with a dog and a cat.

I'm agnostic, a moral relativist, and an animal lover. Politically I think of myself as independant/moderate with libertarian leanings. Hobbies include martial arts (muay thai, brazillian jiu jitsu, and wrestling), drawing, and computer games. I've played SR off and on since about '92, and been on Dumpshock since about '04. Currently trying to learn Turkish in my free time.
Alexand
I'm about to be 30 in a month.

I'm of what I would describe as the 'mutt' race smile.gif let's just say I would pass NAN's "one drop" test to be a Sioux citizen, but at the same time I could pass the same test for at least a dozen other countries too.

I am currently living in Kentucky, USA, and making my living as a Landscaper & Groundskeeper. I have in the past been a waiter, a masseuse, a farmer, a writer, a poet, and a $100 an hour computer hardware specialist. I was born in San Fransisco, and I've lived in over a dozen different states over the course of my life. I've also spent a year in western Europe.

My hobbies are numerous and include collecting and playing RPGs of all types, Aikido, Karate, Politics, and Religious studies just to name a few.

I currently live with my GF in a polyamourous (sic) relationship. (much to the dismay of conservatives whom constantly surround me in this state)

I have collected Shadowrun since it came out cyber.gif

Oh. And I have a basement storage room for when the apocalypse comes and zombies roam the earth. Just in case. Srsly.
Bignaffer
I am 32 years old and married with two kids living in Austin, Texas, USA. I work as a network technician for AT&T.

i started gaming about 20 years ago with AD&D and have played every edition of D&D, all White Wolf/WOD games, extensive knowledge/experience with Rifts but i dont play anymore cuz i couldnt stand the rules system, and of course shadowrun.

hobbies include: spending time with my family, playing video games on my PS3 or Wii, reading all kinds of gaming books, Shooting guns, working out.
JTNLANGE
I guess it is my turn.

I am a 38 yr old white male born and raised in Milwaukee,WI. I have been playing RPG's since I was 10. My older cousin got me into D&D. Now I play mostly SR with a smattering of a few others. I have a beautiful wife Janeen(36)and 2 great kids Nik(11) and Sydnee(7). The oldest is into SR which is great. I am a CSR for an Intermodal transportation company.
I spent 4 yrs in the US Army during the first Gulf War and 2 of those years spent in Germany. Loved it will most certainly be returning to visit friends I have there.

I currently own everything published for the RPG side of Shadowrun since 1st ed. I love it all smile.gif

Trevor
Blade
I'm a 25 single French male, living in Paris. I'm a mobile computer engineer for a small company where I develop applications for mobile phones.

I speak English, can read, write and understand German (though not as good as English) but lack the practice to talk fluently, I speak a little Mandarin and know a few words of Cantonese. Due to the language skill web, I'm able to understand a bit of Spanish and Italian when it's written or spoken slowly.
I love to travel and have been to a lot of places in Europe, spent 1 month in Mauritania (and not inside a European enclave) and 6 in Hong-Kong (for my studies). I play guitar, read a lot, used to write when I had time for this, used to play a lot of video games (now I've got a social life and spend enough time at work in front of a computer. I still play regularly but less than I used to). I'm slightly underweight, not what you'd call athletic but still in good physical condition and I walk a lot (and fast).

I started playing RPG about 10 years ago. Shadowrun has been one of the first game I've played, and the one I'm having most fun with. I'm finding it more and more difficult to have fun in traditional medfan settings though with good friends and good players you can have fun with nearly any game. I am the president of the French "Shadowforums" association which runs the main French Shadowrun forum.
WyldKnight
I just turned 18 this month, live in Sacramento, California but will be moving to Brooklyn, New York for school in about 3 months. Obviously I don't have much experience in any fields besides school but when it comes to skills I am a decent shot with a gun, up to 200 yards I can basically call my shots, can run a mile in under 6 minutes which may not be the best shape but its not bad, and even though I have't aquired my license yet I can fly a prop plane with no problem thanks to a friend of the family and I want to expand into other forms of piloting (the air force is looking pretty good.)

I've been playing table top games since I was 13 when I started with DnD but I got tired of it because of its stale notions of "If its different its probably evil so kill it." Started playing Shadowrun just this year and before this played a couple years of Traveller.

Lets see I am a mix of things. My family is from Belize and I am a mix of African, Mayan, and Spanish. I'm 6'0, 150 pounds, and got the usual black hair brown eyes though my eyes change between a dark almost black brown and a very light golden brown.
kanislatrans
Male ,caucasian with a little Senaca thrown in, 44 years of age. father of three and grandfather of 1. Business owner in the appliance repair field. Gilligan tour in the U.S. navy( 5 weeks, bad eye sight that was passed over in the induction center.) 15years food service, 6 years construction, 4 years small printing press operator. I

I live in North central Pennsylvania, USA. its easy to find just google a map of PA and look for the big area where there is nothing....thats us.

I speak english, with an american dialect. I know enough spanish to get my ass kicked and am learning american sign cause the wife wants to become foster parents and I figure it might come in handy if we get a special needs child.

Ht 5'6'' wt 160
RPGing since 1982. playing Shadowrun since the beginning with the exeption of 3rd edition due to alcohol issues. have played a drek load of other games (rifts, Marvel superheros, ect.

hobbies include fishing, hunting, gardening, writing, cosplay,

Politically i am a moderate anarchist..

Religion: eclectic pagan( any discussion on this will gladly be discussed in PM not the forum)

owner of 3 bitches,(border collie/sheltie mix). two stray cats, two rabbits and one gold fish.

homeowner

Ht 5'6" Qt

I enjoy pina coladas and getting caught in the rain.... silly.gif
Leehouse
These types of threads always interest me.

I'm a 24, guy who was born and raised in Wisconsin. I just completed my first year of graduate studies at the University of Wisconsin-Madison for a Masters, potentially a PhD not sure though, in Atmospheric Sciences. I am currently working with the Antarctic Meteorological Research Center and will be traveling to Antarctica within a few months to repair, install, and remove AWS(automatic weather systems). I've been playing RPG's since the early 90's, starting with D&D, then stopping for a number of years until college. I also used to do a lot of console and computer gaming before school began to take up a great deal of my time. I only speak english, as other languages have always eluded my grasp for whatever reason. Politically I am left of center from the American perspective of things, I'm unsure where this puts me in a global perspective... probably more central. I shot, and swam competitively for about 6 years, throughout middle school and high school but both ended when I went to college.
Adarael
I'm 29, and I've been playing Shadowrun since 1st edition, because I was a precocious bugger.

Most of my life I've lived in California, but currently I live in Seattle, on Queen Anne hill. I went to college at the University of California, Santa Barbara, and majored in two unmarketables: English and Asian Studies.

The only language other than English that I can speak is Japanese, though I imagine McCummhail speaks it a fair bit better than I do. I've held a lot of unusual jobs over the years: reporter, graphic designer, web developer, game tester, game writer.

Currently I'm a UI designer for the Xbox division of Microsoft, though I'd like to get back into game writing. If you own an Xbox 360, you use the dashboard that I and my team built.
fistandantilus4.0
29 year old caucasian (6'2"/200lb) father of five, married going on seven years. I've got enough college for my generals, but nothing specific in terms of degrees, and I agree with Crit whole heartedly, which is why I'm taking classes again. I live in San Diego, CA , about 10 minutes from the beach. I'm a Master-at-Arms in the U.S. Navy. I'm also Mormon, although less practicing than some.

Oh, and I've got dashing good looks. wink.gif
Adarael
Well, of course you do! Who can hate a Koala, even a blood-sucking, face-ripping one?
shuya
i am a 27 year old boy/girl and live in the ozark mountains of southern Missouri as a member of an intentional community ("commune" to some people), where i spend most of my time working in a factory that makes peanut butter, or else working on our ranch (we raise cattle, pigs, and chickens for our own personal consumption, but not for selling).

i attended college and majored in linguistics and asian studies, and some graduate school where i was working on a PhD in translation studies before deciding that i no longer wanted to deal with all of the bullshit of trying to cope with living in a society that i had major moral qualms about being a part of. english is my native language, and i also speak japanese very well (i would not say "fluent" but i am damn close). in addition to those, i am competent with several other languages to varying degrees, including german, spanish, latin, korean, mandarin chinese, sanskrit, italian, turkish, and probably at least one more that i am forgetting. i also spent one year of undergrad as an exchance student in Japan, which was freakin sweet.

my non-rpg hobbies/interests include music (i can play guitar, bass, synths, and really pretty much anything that makes any kind of sound, and i love production and cut-ups and multitrack reel-to-reel tape recorders), marijuana, postmodern literary criticism and philosophy, japanese popular culture, avant-garde art, fashion, closet horticulture and mycoculture, gender anarchy, zen buddhism, 2d fighting games, shooting squirrels with pellet guns, ghost stories, entheogenic drug use and shamanism, collecting dead lighters, street kids and rainbow family, and cetera...

i've been playing rpg's since i was maybe 8 or 9 or so (i can't really remember, it's been so long), though not continuously. i'm also a big Magic the Gathering kid.
Method
Started a thread like this many moons ago (LINK). Its interesting to see how peoples lives have changed over the years.

I was born and raised in Wyoming (what's up Ravor?) and currently live in Seattle WA where I am finishing school (finally). I have BS degrees in Zoology/Physiology and Medical Microbiology and a MS in Pathobiology. I will graduate from medical school in a few months and I am currently applying to general surgery residencies throughout the western US. I speak some spanish and some japanese (mostly related to 12 years of aikido training). Also an avid shooter (although its hard to be an avid shooter in Seattle). Married with 2 dogs. Expecting our first kiddy in the spring. Been playing SR since first edition. Also play TT wargames (WHFB and FoW) and PC-base RTS games. Other interests include history (military and medical), politics, music, cinema and sharp objects.
crash2029
Hell, why not?

I am a male living in Ephrata, WA. I am on disability. I am diagnosed as paranoid schizophrenia, severe clinical depression, and post-traumatic stress disorder with psychosis. I have been playing RPG's since the age of 9. I am a second generation gamer, my father actually played D&D with Gary Gygax and Car Wars with Steve Jackson. I got a GED during the tenth grade winter break. I'm pretty much a hermit. I'm a published poet.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (GreyBrother @ Aug 25 2009, 05:05 PM) *
Awww aren't you a cute little fella? I really can imagine how'd you look in real life smile.gif

I am NOT cute! ò,Ó;, >o<

I mostly look grumpy, sad, angry, confused, gleefull or any mixture of the aforementioned.
Pale skin, dark hair, Green, brown, blue eyes, Dark and mostly combed back Hair.
Sometimes i like to dye them black, with one, two or three stark white streaks in there . . don't you dare call me skunk <.< . .
Most of the time wild Moustache, Chin, Sides, Upper Lip, other times clean shaven, nothing much in between.
I tend to wear only black, with the Occassional white Shirt. Not T-Shirt, GOOD Shirt.
People that see my ID Photo usually tell me i look like i would be in with the Mafia or something.
When i am outside, i usually have the darkest shades over my eyes that i can find. I tend to slink from shadow to shadow in the summer.
Remember that pale skin? Yeah, light Sun Allergy . . If i hold my arm with Sunblock out of the Window for 30 Minutes, my Arm goes lobster red.
Then i can pull of the skin and what's beneath is pale again.
I am not ashamed to admit that i DO own a long black Leather Coat. And a Ninjato. And i have the Matrix OST on my MP3-Player.
DON'T JUDGE MEE! =^.^=
Usually, i have my nose in some kind of Book. Or am staring at my Laptop. Or listen to MP3's on my Player.
If there's cats around, i will probably be somewhat pre-occupied. I love those little monsters ^^
Grinder
QUOTE (fistandantilus4.0 @ Aug 25 2009, 08:18 PM) *
Oh, and I've got dashing good looks. wink.gif

We've never doubted that. grinbig.gif
Grinder
QUOTE (GreyBrother @ Aug 25 2009, 05:05 PM) *

He's overcompensating. wink.gif
The Dragon Girl
Heh, Sure I'll give it a shot.

27 Year old white female, married with two cats. I live in north west GA, USA (Hi there Cadmus) About an hour north of Atlanta in traffic.

I've been a free lance artist on the convention circuit for 8 years now, a renny for 11, a RPer for 14 (mostly freeform text based) and grew up on a little farm. I can spin, weave, sew, can, pickle and bake with the best of them and have regionally award winning jellies to my name smile.gif

I speak English primarily, and enough Spanish to make myself understood, though I really want to learn Latin (and Tolkien's elvish).

I've got a little college with plans to go back and finish my degree (..Which degree is still up in the air, between graphic design, horticulture, and the culinary arts(pastry chef) ).
vladski
I'm a virgo and love taking long walks on the beach, deep soulful talks, watching sunsets while drinking wine and... oops, wrong personal profile!   Here we go....

Vlad  

Human Male Age: 40 Hair: Brown Eyes: Brown Ht: 1.78 meters Wt: 91 Kilos

ATTRIBUTES:
Body: 2
Agility: 3
Reaction: 2
Strength: 2
Charisma: 3
Intuition: 3
Logic: 4
Willpower: 2
Special Powers:

Low-light vision (I DO have incredible night-vision)

Qualities: 
Ambidextrous
First Impression
Iron gut (Nothing seems to faze me!)

ACTIVE SKILLS:
Pistols: 2
Longarms: 2
Unarmed(Brawling): 1(+2)
Perception: 3
Infiltration: 1
Etiquette: 3
Negotiation: 2
Con: 3
Leadership: 2
Pilot Ground: 3
Harware (Computers) 1(+2)
Computer: 2
Artisan: 2
Cooking: 3
Billiards: 3
Roleplaying games: 3
Auto mechanic: 2
Industrial mechanic(Construction): 1(+2)

KNOWLEDGE SKILLS:
Cooking background: 3
Sports(Football): 1 (+2)
History: 2
American Politics: 2
General Math and Physics: 1
Mechanic, auto: 2
Carpentry: 2
Retail procedures:2
Food preparation: 2
Sci-Fi/Fantasy media: 3
Kokomo Dives and Bars: 2
Kokomo dealers: 1
Shadowrun: 2
AD&D (2nd Ed.): 2

LANGUAGE SKILLS:
English: Native
Spanish: 1

Sorry, I couldn't resist.  Actually, it was a little thought provoking to try and simulate me in "stats." 

I am a Caucasian male and have been so for nearly 41 years.  Irish/Scot/French descent. Highschool diploma, 2 years college: Poly Sci & English majors. Have been everything from a thief to a web page designer, a head cook to a data collector, an arch-technopagan to a smuggler, a bartender to a construction worker, a pool hustler to a manager . 

Born and raised in Kokomo, IN (50 miles north of Indianapolis),  population aprox. 50K.  Moved to Wichita, KS about a year and a half ago. Spent a year in Tampa, FL and a couple in Bloomington IN. Divorced once, 1 child, son age 16, and am currently engaged (have been for a couple years) and living together with a wonderful woman and eventually will have a step-daughter and step-son, currently 8 and 12 respectively.

My hobbies include: RPGs (of course), reading (mostly fiction), loads of TV (I'm a news junkie and watch the news several hours a day and also enjoy many fictional programs... I am not sure which is FOX News.  wink.gif ), fiddling with computers, riding motorcycles, writing, drawing and cooking.

I started roleplaying in Middle School at around 12-13 years old with 1st Ed AD&D.  Would have been about 1981-82. Over the years I have played many RPGS, running  AD&D 2nd (Forgotten Realms) for a gaming group that varied from 6-12 people and then moved them to SR3 when it first came out back in '98 I believe. Switched to SR4 about a year after it was launched.  My favorite RPGs to have played are SR, AD&D 2nd, Star Wars WEG (D6) and Space 1889. I authored an original RPG to play in the Firefly/Serenity setting before an official game was released.  My players and I still prefer mine over the official one. I have considered many times polishing it and attempting to sell it as a generic mechanics system. I also enjoy playing Axis and Allies and other wargames of that ilk and medium complexity.

So, there you have it.  The mystery is over.  biggrin.gif

Vlad
Ancient History
American. Male. English/Irish/Scottish/Sicilian/Walloon heritage. 5'5", 150 lbs. or thereabouts. Military brat. Just got my bachelor's in Electrical Engineering (w/minors in Tech Writing and Electronic Music); going for a master's in EE (w/grad certificate in Technology Management). Freelance writer for Shadowrun, with a couple other pieces here and there no one really need care about. Extensive collection of comics and books, particularly Lovecraft, his immediate influences, and his contemporaries; cyberpunk and its immediate precursors and some of its descendants; and occult or weird detective fiction. I also have a terrible habit of reading trashy Warhammer novels; like most bad habits, Games Workshop is very hard to break. I also love to cook and bake, but rarely get the time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012