Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exotic shotgun ammo
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Radical-B
I am very surprised that catalyst hasn't added all the amazing exotic munitions available for shotguns in their arsenal book, I mean even now, there are grenades that can fit inside a shotgun shell and detonate at a certain distance or upon impact, there's "dragon's breath" ammo that shoots flames out to 30 feet from the barrel, there's flash bang ammunition available, also bola rounds (could use monofilament wire with that), and certain "flechette" ammo is actually more armor piercing than regular slugs, I don't understand why they call shot "flechette", anyways, I've been thinking of a way to make some exotic shotgun ammo, but I don't remember the rules for the monfilament bola or how to exactly implement shotgun grenades (like if an airburst link could be added), has anyone else done this before?
Maelstrome
some of that,(bola, dragons breath,anyway) is in sr3, i wonder why they got dropped.

ill post the original stuff and someone might convert it.
Maelstrome
ill post the short version of each.

big ds temper(flame round)

uses taser ranges, choke rules apply as normal

increase base power by 2

only half impact armor applies

every use roll 1d6, on a roll of 1 the weapon is rendered unusable until repaired

bola rounds

+1 to the power of the attack

if a hit is scored target must resist knockdown

there are also flare rounds,shock lock rounds,nd stun rounds. i dont know what sr4 has because i rarely play it.
Radical-B
QUOTE (Maelstrome @ Aug 29 2009, 11:06 PM) *
some of that,(bola, dragons breath,anyway) is in sr3, i wonder why they got dropped.

ill post the original stuff and someone might convert it.

I guess because if shotguns could shoot mini-grenades, and mini-grenades are just as powerful as normal grenades, there would be no need for underbarrel grenade launchers for rifles, or even grenade launchers in general, because a shotgun is cheaper and can also function in more ways, I wanted to have a desert punk-esque character that utilized a shotgun with an assortment of exotic ammos, I found out I'm going to have to go the hard way, but since this isn't new or anything, I figured someone else has already done it
Radical-B
QUOTE (Maelstrome @ Aug 29 2009, 11:18 PM) *
ill post the short version of each.

big ds temper(flame round)

uses taser ranges, choke rules apply as normal

increase base power by 2

only half impact armor applies

every use roll 1d6, on a roll of 1 the weapon is rendered unusable until repaired

bola rounds

+1 to the power of the attack

if a hit is scored target must resist knockdown

there are also flare rounds,shock lock rounds,nd stun rounds. i dont know what sr4 has because i rarely play it.

thanks
Crusher Bob
The problem with most 'exotic' shotgun rounds is that they are basically useless.

For flechette, use roughly double the normal shot range. Subtract 2 or three 3 from damage and subtract 3 or so from armor penetration. So You'd get something like 5(-3) out of it. It's generally much better to shoot someone with a rifle.

For shotgun bola rounds, your target is incapacitated for several actions, being busy with pointing and laughing at you. The shotgun is not able to fire weights heavy enough to do much, and the fact that the weights will tend to fly together, rather that spinning around like a hand thrown bola would just makes matters worse.

Dragon's Breath rounds should only be used in manual action shotguns, as the pyrotechnics persist for several seconds. But you are better off buying a roman candle firework and shooting that at your target. That way you can have your shotgun filled with useful stuff for when you get tired of playing with fireworks.

One exotic shotgun round that is actually useful for something is the lockbreaker rounds, which mostly keep you from killing anyone on the other side of the door when you are shooting the hinges off. Regular buckshot works almost as well, but remember that almost all firearms will go through several interior walls, etc.

The less lethal shotgun rounds also seem to work reasonably well, in that they hardly ever actually kill anybody, but most runners are going to want the stuff that actually kills people...
RunnerPaul
A while back, I suggested that someone stat out these exotic shotgun ammos. I don't think anyone ever did.
Crusher Bob
Running into lead shot in your dinner can be kinda hard on the teeth. Thankfully, the lead gives a bit when you bite down on it, so you usually aren't in danger of breaking anything. Of course, a lot of people use steel shot these days... ouch! If they ever manage to make some of this, it would certainly make dentists sad.
Falconer
Yeah, I hear the OP... I had the idea a while ago to do a shotgun adept w/ a pump action shotgun. (since it's easy to shove a single round into the magazine and then rack the gun to quickly load it, when you need a special round). Give him a high armorer, electronics, & demolitions skill so he can make custom rounds.

Basically string a bandoleer of 'special' rounds. (think of Chrono Crusade, Hellsing, or similar, where people put special rounds one by one into their gun). Then have some kind of adept power to quickly load a single round (unfortunately reload is a complex action to insert agility rounds... when you really need a simple or free action to shove in a single round or two.... so was thinking custom adept power .25 for nimble fingers, then another .25pp for the shotgun reload).

Always thought shotguns could use a 'stun bunny' round. Think of an exceptionally large SnS round with a bit more juice to up the jolt w/ the much bigger slower slug).
Crusher Bob
With one of the 'revolver' style 40mm grenade launchers (The Armscor maybe?) it was possible to 'half' pull the trigger to cause the cylinder to advance but not fire. So, in theory, you could have a few different types of grenades loaded into the cylinder and cycle the cylinder around until you got to the type of grenade you wanted to fire.

There's also been a pump shotgun with two magazines developed (the Neostead) that allowed you to load two different types of ammo and select between them.
Falconer
Crusher... you can do all that with weapon modifications and smartguns easily.

Ammo Skip system... (cylinder automatically turns to the right round).
Additional Magazine. (2 magazines, switch between them)
McCummhail
QUOTE (Daier Mune @ Mar 4 2008, 02:00 PM) *
*cracks knuckles* alright, back to work.

This is a list of stuff that I'm surprized wasn't mentioned in Arsenal, since I don't think they're too far-out for 6th world technology.

Dragon's Breath Shotgun Shells
Dragon's Breath rounds are shotgun shells packed with highly flamable material that produces a flamethrower like effect when fired. due to the prolonged burn of the shell and the lack of recoil, these round CAN NOT and SHOULD NOT be fired from a semi-auto shotgun.

6P(fire) -1/2 AP Impact armor
use Flamethrower rules, Light Pistol ranges
-Can not be used in SA shotguns
$200 for 10 rounds, 12F

Freeze Thrower
C'mon, don't tell me you havn't thought about it. I don't care how cheezy it is. Remember to apply secondary effects that may occur from spraying a target with liquid nitrogen.

6P(cold) -1/2AP SS 4(detachable tank)
(use Shiawaze Blazer rules)
$1,500 16F for the gun
$100 for a 4 shot tank, 16F
Here is a conversion for SR4. I am using cybermancy to keep this thread running and adding stuff to it. Feel free to add new toys.
McAllister
I never have any idea what the hell you're doing, McCummhail, but you do it so wonderfully!
McCummhail
QUOTE (McAllister @ Aug 30 2009, 01:22 AM) *
I never have any idea what the hell you're doing, McCummhail, but you do it so wonderfully!
Shotguns don't get enough love in SR.
They are one of the most badass weapons in mundane land.

I don't know what the hell I am doing,
but Q would be proud!
Draco18s
Didn't Dragons Breath rounds have a 1 in 6 chance per shell of completely ruining the gun?
McCummhail
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Aug 30 2009, 01:35 AM) *
Didn't Dragons Breath rounds have a 1 in 6 chance per shell of completely ruining the gun?

Yes. The SR3 official version was quoted above.
The version I quoted was written by a DSer for SR4.
If you want barrel melting, go for it.
McAllister
QUOTE (McCummhail @ Aug 30 2009, 02:20 AM) *
Here is a conversion for SR4. I am using cybermancy to keep this thread running and adding stuff to it. Feel free to add new toys.

Cheater! vegm.gif Every modern combat shotgun is SA (if not more). What do you want me to do, fire it out of a museum piece? Or just throw together a trumpet, some wire and a valve or two, call it a street sweeper, and fire it out of that?
McCummhail
QUOTE (McAllister @ Aug 30 2009, 01:45 AM) *
Cheater! vegm.gif Every modern combat shotgun is SA (if not more). What do you want me to do, fire it out of a museum piece? Or just throw together a trumpet, some wire and a valve or two, call it a street sweeper, and fire it out of that?

But those newfangled rapid-firing contraptions have lost some of the charm.
BOOM-CHICK,CHICK-BOOM....
Mäx
QUOTE (McAllister @ Aug 30 2009, 09:45 AM) *

I was kind thinking of loading those to my Sasha's dual sawed-off PJSS Model 55 shotguns.
McAllister
Hmph. That makes sense. It's still a hunting shotgun, though, for the record. beret.gif
Mäx
QUOTE (McAllister @ Aug 30 2009, 11:36 AM) *
Hmph. That makes sense. It's still a hunting shotgun, though, for the record. beret.gif

I don't know Big D's Temper Shells are pretty bad for hunting grinbig.gif
Angelone
QUOTE (Mäx @ Aug 30 2009, 07:48 AM) *
I don't know Big D's Temper Shells are pretty bad for hunting grinbig.gif

I don't know killing and cooking at the same time could be kinda handy. grinbig.gif

I always assumed you could get the same kind of ammo for a shotgun as you could any other firearm.
remmus
QUOTE (Angelone @ Aug 30 2009, 03:15 PM) *
I always assumed you could get the same kind of ammo for a shotgun as you could any other firearm.

well that is correct, the book doesn´t mention any restrictions of that kind, so it´s fully possible to load your shotgun with explosive slugs, the Arsenal book is the only one that seperates shotguns from all the other and presents special shotgun rounds.

Btw while on the subject of shotguns lets talk about what most criminals do to them, saw of...any good rules for that?
Stahlseele
In SR3 it was -2 Power and fixed choke, so a Shotgun that does 10S Damage becomes a 8S
Mäx
QUOTE (remmus @ Aug 30 2009, 04:48 PM) *
Btw while on the subject of shotguns lets talk about what most criminals do to them, saw of...any good rules for that?

Arsenal page.150 barrel extension/reduction.
Snow_Fox
ok I oculd make a 3rd ed is better dig in that their weapons book had these extra ammo but the 4th ed book forgot them and obviously their's an interest.

Beyond that the problem with exotic rounds is that they are so specialized that you've got to have a plan in mind for exactly why you're carrying them loaded in your shot gun. To use Dragon Breath/Big D rounds these are a serious fire risk. OK if you need to send a signal or lbind enemies (al Harry Dresden in Small Favor) or arson, but for carrying them 'just in case' or even worse making them your standard load out is insane.
Kerenshara
I can NOT believe I am about to do this...

*sigh*

It's the 6th World and 2070 folks. Shotguns make a pretty snazzy means of delivering a payload to a target. It's also easy to manufacture special custom sabots to protect the barrel if you're using something like dragon's breath - just don't pop the thing until it' cleared the barrel THEN ignite with an on-board electronic fuse. Mind you, you're still fighting with the same limitations of G-shock I am always harping about, but this time you've got a nice wide (and long) payload to work with, so you can cut a few more corners. Or, if you're a sick duck like me, you could spec up a LP version of the weapon. Essentially you wind up with a funk-nasty dialable baby grenade launcher. Also, I think it's interesting that the SR1 Street Samurai Catalog included "mini grenades" with an "air burst timer". The reason that's interesting is that the US Army is playing aound with a replacement for the Mk 19 AGL and guess what: the rounds are 30mm instead of 40mm AND they have a timed airburst feature. Due to improvements in explosives technology, they don't even suffer noticably on damage potential. They're also more accurate.

So I don't see a reason you couldn't cook up an LP weapon with a dual magazine feet option, where one has a revolver to select special mission ammunition and the other is a more conventional feed with "normal" rounds. The other idea is to put it as an underbarrel option on an LP Assault Rifle feeding from the same fuel tank(s) so that you could mission select your ammunition from the "grenade launcher" and the system could auto-dial the propellants for range requirements.

Other round types: Self-forging Armor Penetrator, Camera, Targeting Beacon, Flare, Wireless Relay, Smoke (another of those "smart" rounds which contains dozens of tiny sub-munitions that scatter at the selected burst point and detonate into an instant cloud of thermal smoke, similar to that used on armored fighting vehicles, but WAY miniturized and only sufficient on a single shot to fill a coridor), Explosive (read: grenade), HEDP (Explosive w/ better AP on a direct hit vs. hard armors), Proximity Fused (for shooting at pesky flying mini- and micro- drones),Gas Dispersal (see the smoke round, but substitute something non-non-lethal), Monofilament Grapple (penetrates and embeds then bonds with that cool Tackky stuff, has a monofilament line you then hook onto), Flash-Bang (like the grenade, but smaller area), Bean Bag, Message Capsule, Dart Submunition (there's a point to this one, but I'm getting hungry - it's NOT flechette), True Anti-vehicular and Micro-drone deployment,

Anyhow, now that I've opened up that particular can of worms, I'm going in search of nourishment of the breakfast variety.

P.S.: The bolas thing won't work, but somebody else already covered the "not enough weight/mass" thing.
Blind Guardian
QUOTE (Angelone @ Aug 30 2009, 09:15 AM) *

I'm with Angelone on this one. In our games, we've always allowed the standard ammo types to be available for shotgun slugs (the rules have never specified that you can't, after all). We use gel rounds as the 2070s equivalent of beanbag rounds, and Taser is currently working on something that would be the equivalent of a SnS round, the XREP. Shotguns just have a certain style to them, and I support anything that makes them more useful in the game.
maeel
inspired by wikipedia:

Bolo round:
impact armor is used instead of ballistic

Dragon breath:
light pistol range
6p half armor
firing it will automatically limit the weapon to SS (pump action is back, yay!!!)

Gas round:
light pistol range
Damage: special

Frag-12:
grenade round in all different flavors of SR4 grenades
base damage as shotgun.
Pendaric
Well my two (nuyen), monofilament bola could work with shaped weights designed to split with air resistence.

I also use a heavy calibre steel ball bearing scatter shell for SR3, which has the spread, no lack of armour penatration and damage +1 stage but also the power loss of a scatter shot. A la heavy ball bearing shot from CP 2000.

I am a big fan of the special shotgun ammo with fond memories of a solo that ran with a arasaka full auto.

At the end of the day, to have the cred, tech savvy or contacts and your imagination (and ref seal of approval) is the limit.

As some one pointed out spraying a room with a thousand steel marbles on a solid smooth floor can be just as fun and hitting your target with them at high velocity. Depending on your particular kink with standing.
AngelisStorm
Maybe extra shotgun rounds will make it into the new Dumpshock magazine.
Kerenshara
(coppied from another thread)

>>WARNING!<<
>>SPAM Filter Bypassed!<<
>>Unauthorized ARO Override!!<<

Det-Cord Shotgun BolasTM!! The latest toy from the loonie engineers at Vaklam Labs©.

What's the first thing some cybered Street Sammy's going to do if you throw some silly old bolas at them? Block with a cyberlimb of course! So the Det-Cord Shotgun BolasTM obligingly wrap around the limb and *BANG* the cord detonates severing the limb! How cool is that?! You know you want some, so go on to our Matrix site at
http://Loonies.VaklamLabs.com/Det-Cord_Bolas.htm an buy Buy BUY! Use code "KA-BOOOOOOOMM!" and get an extra 10% off your first order!

Available in the original Strawberry SplatterTM, Vaporizing VanillaTM, Charbroiled ChocolateTM, Orange OblivionTM and Lemon LimblossTM, but now available in Grape GrenadeTM!

Det-Cord Shotgun BolasTM are a blast, but you can only use them once, so make sure you stock up on your favorite flavors and share them with friends, co-workers and that annoying cyber-mastif down the street!

Mandatory Warning: Ages 14 and up. Contains small pieces which may present a choking hazard. Contains explosive components; dispose of properly: do not incinerate! Det-Cord Shotgun BolasTM are NOT a toy, and are exclusively meant for dis-arming opponents. (Get it? Dis- Arm? Har har! Har Har! Ho ho!) Keep out of the reach of children and shadowrunning trolls. Vaklam Labs© is not responsible for any damage you may inflict on yourself, furniture, dataterms, vehicles, light posts, stop signs or rubber chickens if you glitch, and we furthermore are not responsible if you accidentally dis-head your opponent by mistake when you meant to interogate her later.
Radical-B
Oh wow, thank you all. I wasn't really expecting this much input, but wow, this is great! Thanks again guys.
InfinityzeN
Anyone else know "Flipper is Dead"? It is over on the BlackHammer Project. Granted, this is for 2020, but you could modify them for SR4. Clicky!

Just a lil taste
QUOTE ( HIGH VELOCITY PLASMA SHOTGUN ROUNDS)
These are State of the Art anti armour/anti borg rounds quite capable of killing light tanks or Dragoons. The 18mm shell is composed of a very high density ceramic casing containing six superconductor loops and a seventh smaller loop, all pumped to very high voltages. A central hollow runs the length of the tube, a small funnelled opening at the front and a wide cone opening at the back. The centre of the tube is a spherical chamber lined with a highly refractory alloy. Four Invar rods with sharp barbs run the length of the casing, resting on the superconductor loops with non conductive knife edges. The Seventh loop is held away from the spherical chambers refactory lining by a plastic rod that passes the length of the central chamber. When fired, the plastic rod falls away at PB range, arming the slug.

The seventh loop discharges into the chamber lining, superheating it. The air passing down the central hollow is heated and expelled from the wide cone in the base. this acts as a simple ramjet, accelerating the slug at high speed.

If the round strikes a target the sudden shock throws the INVAR rods forward, breaking the six main loops and discharging them into the ceramic body. This is powerful enough to plasmarise the body and electrify the target. If the round reaches a Pre-set distance without impact, the expansion of the body will pull the invar rods back onto the coils and plasmarise the round in mid air. The resulting Bolt of plasma will loose coherency as it travels.
Stahlseele
I think i will have to create a Character with naughty high Armorer Skill just so i can do something like that and make my GM start cursing like a sailor again . .
Pendaric
I miss my disgarding sabot mini HE rockets round frown.gif
Kerenshara
QUOTE (Pendaric @ Sep 1 2009, 03:20 PM) *
I miss my disgarding sabot mini HE rockets round frown.gif

Discarding Sabot = sub-caliber

Mini HE rocket... why? What's the advantage of this?
Pendaric
Based on a borg weapon in CP2000, the other solo had a wrist racade with mini rockets. I modded some for anti armour shotgun shell. The kind of thing when you need to take a large chunk out of a city master or a borg just shrugged of my solid slug to the head.

The disgarding sabot was from the shell lauch mechanism before the rocket engaged. Extended range with AP and hitting power. At fifteen it says what kind of individual the ref was, who was 25, that I need these on a semi regular basis to stave of fellow runners lives prematurely ending.

Edit: scars are showing, hmm. Learnt alot of what not to do in this game but the cyberpunk style aspect stuck rather than tyrant for tryants sake.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Kerenshara @ Sep 2 2009, 12:01 AM) *
Discarding Sabot = sub-caliber

Mini HE rocket... why? What's the advantage of this?

Remember the Gyrojet Heavy Pistol from SR3?
12M Damage, good reach, but horrible in actually hitting stuff with.
Now make something like that into a RIFLE . . and put in something that will actually guide the bullets/rockets into target, and you're looking at bigger reach than most rifles with bigger punch than most heavy weapons, all in a frame that can be carried and shot one handed without too big of a problem. And which is also frigging rare so people looking at the results will probably be scraching heads and wondering about what did that.
Kerenshara
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Sep 1 2009, 06:01 PM) *
Remember the Gyrojet Heavy Pistol from SR3?
12M Damage, good reach, but horrible in actually hitting stuff with.
Now make something like that into a RIFLE . . and put in something that will actually guide the bullets/rockets into target, and you're looking at bigger reach than most rifles with bigger punch than most heavy weapons, all in a frame that can be carried and shot one handed without too big of a problem. And which is also frigging rare so people looking at the results will probably be scraching heads and wondering about what did that.

If you're going to GUIDE it, why bother with the gun at all and just put a little pepperbox over one shoulder, use the cold-launch charge to toss it up in the air, use the gyros to allign it on target THEN light off the main drive and deploy the steering fins. That keeps both hands free for OTHER toys.

Oops. I think I might have just given somebody an idea...
Shrike30
I've got a character who keeps a few "tapper" drones (the bug-sized crawler drones that like to punch into fiber-optic networks) loaded into 12 gauge subsonic gel rounds. It's not a bad delivery mechanism for a drone with a short roaming range, and with a sound-suppressed shotgun, it's damn quiet (ends up being a -9 to hear if you go nuts on it).

Another one keeps a Roomsweeper loaded specifically with doorbreaker rounds. Being pistol sized, it means you never have to screw around with swapping out rounds in your main gun (or being stuck with a shotgun when you'd really rather have an assault rifle)... just pull it out of the scabbard with your off hand, blow a hole in whatever, and keep on rocking.

The "stick-n-talk" round is another favorite. When you don't want someone dead, but don't mind shooting at 'em and just want into their commlink, having your gel round loaded up with a microdrone that's essentially just a wireless relay with a Skinlink is a good way to get into their system. Doubles as a tracking beacon.
Pendaric
You got the cred you can have all the good toys.
I however if you have a very limited budget, how I love paint grenades, especailly paint grenades I can shoot from fifty feet away. So many chases ended with tactical paint to windscreen/camera.
Or for that matter, paint in the cyber eyes followed by double tap so place unarmoured. The simple pleasures.

I especially liked the emp micro grenade round trick and treat.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012