Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dodging Grenades?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
malichai
If you're not directly targeted by a grenade, but are within the blast radius, do you still make a dodge test?

Initially, we assumed that you didn't get to dodge grenade explosions, but on page 160 of the SR4a it says Attacker Using Area Attack Weapon: "Dodging explosions is not as easy as it seems in the movies. Apply a -2 modifier when trying to defend against weapons like grenades, rockets, or missiles with a blast effect." Does that mean you CAN dodge grenade blasts (specifically, airburst-link fired grenades)? If so, do you just roll your reaction (or full defense) with a threshold of the number of hits the grenade launcher person had?
Method
Yes you can dodge the blast from a grenade. In this case the "dodge" means you are able to duck, dive or otherwise throw yourself behind some cover or otherwise avoid the brunt of the blast. Its best not to think to much about this, as that way lies only madness. Just say its an abstraction and leave it at that. If you want more realism, you might consider making your players automatically drop prone in such situations.

As an aside, I will say again (as I have many times before) I hate the word dodge as it is used in SR contexts. It just rubs me the wrong way.
malichai
Alright, so the guy fires the grenade, figures up his scatter, and also notes his successes so that folks can dodge/avoid whatever the blast. Do the grenade launcher's successes also raise the damage of the blast, or are those successes only for purposes of scatter/dodge?
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (malichai @ Aug 31 2009, 07:07 PM) *
Alright, so the guy fires the grenade, figures up his scatter, and also notes his successes so that folks can dodge/avoid whatever the blast. Do the grenade launcher's successes also raise the damage of the blast, or are those successes only for purposes of scatter/dodge?

Only for Scatter/Dodge Purposes... Successes over the Scatter no longer add to damage... of course, if there is a chunky salsa effect, well then....
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (malichai @ Aug 31 2009, 09:07 PM) *
Do the grenade launcher's successes also raise the damage of the blast, or are those successes only for purposes of scatter/dodge?

Are you playing SR4 or SR4A? This is one of the changed rules.
malichai
SR4A
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (malichai @ Aug 31 2009, 09:28 PM) *
SR4A

SR4A is as Tymeaus describes above.
Warlordtheft
If I read that right then if the dodge hits exceed the attack hits they take no damage. Otherwise they take damage as normal. Right?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012