Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New ork metavariants
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Rasumichin
Ok, just read the kobold thread and once more, i was reminded of a line from RC, p. 49 :

Recognized ork metavariants include hobgoblins, oni, ogres,
and satyrs. Two other micro-populations of robustus metavariants
await phylogenetic classification and fall outside the scope
of this report.

What are those two micro-populations?
Are there any hints in canon material?
I initially thought of bugbears...any other ideas?
Will these metavariants ever be presented officially?
Seriously, what is that paragraph referring to?
Phelan Patrick
I think they just put that there to give GMs the license to create/allow their own metavariants
Ancient History
They're not Gruthrump and Jubruq! Honest!
BookWyrm
As long as someone doesn't pull a Saruman, I'm fine.
Kerenshara
QUOTE (BookWyrm @ Sep 1 2009, 10:23 PM) *
As long as someone doesn't pull a Saruman, I'm fine.

Yeah, my character is thinking of organizing the Orc Underground and having them all put a big white handprint on their jackets.
Hunter_Maddox
QUOTE (Phelan Patrick @ Sep 1 2009, 09:08 PM) *
I think they just put that there to give GMs the license to create/allow their own metavariants

Ok... cool. I think I might try to come up with a Goblin metavariant if there isn't one yet.
Kerrang
QUOTE (Hunter_Maddox @ Sep 2 2009, 03:04 PM) *
Ok... cool. I think I might try to come up with a Goblin metavariant if there isn't one yet.

Goblins was my first thought.

Also, the gauntlet has been dropped, I now must make an Uruk-hai metavariant.
Rasumichin
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Sep 2 2009, 01:11 AM) *
They're not Gruthrump and Jubruq! Honest!

I'm not that familliar with Earthdawn, i admit (only found out these are ED races after using my google fu).
Gruthrump are said to live in Vasgothia...so is that the ED name for ogres?
Or are they something else entirely?

QUOTE (Hunter_Maddox @ Sep 2 2009, 08:04 PM) *

There may be issues with the name, as goblins are HMHVVI-positive dwarves in SR.
But then, there's also hobgoblins, there's two kinds of minotaurs (one metahuman and one bovine) and so on, so i guess it's the (orkish) goblin's problem if there's cannibalistic Gollum-lookalikes who have been dubbed goblins before...or the (dwarven) goblin's problem if there's an orkish metavariant of the same name...
Pendaric
There was an Uruk hai in the onginal fluff, dispatched by stripper. A genentic experiment apptly.
Hunter_Maddox
QUOTE (Rasumichin @ Sep 2 2009, 03:18 PM) *
I'm not that familliar with Earthdawn, i admit (only found out these are ED races after using my google fu).
Gruthrump are said to live in Vasgothia...so is that the ED name for ogres?
Or are they something else entirely?

There may be issues with the name, as goblins are HMHVVI-positive dwarves in SR.
But then, there's also hobgoblins, there's two kinds of minotaurs (one metahuman and one bovine) and so on, so i guess it's the (orkish) goblin's problem if there's cannibalistic Gollum-lookalikes who have been dubbed goblins before...or the (dwarven) goblin's problem if there's an orkish metavariant of the same name...

What book is the Dwarven based Goblin metavariant ? Is it a 3rd or 4th ed. book ? If so I may use that instead.
Stahlseele
I still want Bulls Disney's Gargoyles as a Meta-Variant or Surge . . *runs*
Rasumichin
QUOTE (Hunter_Maddox @ Sep 2 2009, 10:13 PM) *
What book is the Dwarven based Goblin metavariant ? Is it a 3rd or 4th ed. book ? If so I may use that instead.

They're not a metavariant, they are what happens to dwarves (or dwarven metavariants, as well) when they become infected with a specific strain of the virus that creates vampires, wendigo and the like.
Originally, they appeared in Paranormal Animals of Europe (SR2 sourcebook).
I don't think 3rd Ed. had rules for them.

In SR4, you'll find them in Runner's Companion.

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Sep 2 2009, 10:16 PM) *
I still want Bulls Disney's Gargoyles as a Meta-Variant or Surge . . *runs*

Well, SR's gargoyles have long been rumored to be sentient...there even was a cybered-up gargoyle adept in a German SR2 adventure module (the Schlagschatten anthology).
Draco18s
They're Snarks, obviously.

"It's Boo--!"
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Rasumichin @ Sep 3 2009, 12:46 AM) *
Well, SR's gargoyles have long been rumored to be sentient...there even was a cybered-up gargoyle adept in a German SR2 adventure module (the Schlagschatten anthology).

I don't think he was actually a gargoyle, but a shamanic adept with gargoyle as his totem, but i could be wrong.
Rasumichin
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Sep 2 2009, 11:18 PM) *
I don't think he was actually a gargoyle, but a shamanic adept with gargoyle as his totem, but i could be wrong.

Maybe that has been retconned, or you're referring to something else.
In the adventure, Prometheus -as the critter had been dubbed by one of the scientists who had captured him and implanted the 'ware- was definitely a gargoyle.
An experiment by AGC, the runners had to babysit him- or maybe extract him, i'm not sure, it's been more than ten years since i GMed that module and instead of bringing him back to his family/pack/flock/whatever, the team decided to take him to Berlin, where he became one of the founding members of their own street gang...
mmmkay
somehow I read this as New York metavariants and then when I read what it actually said was disappointed....
BookWyrm
QUOTE (Kerenshara @ Sep 2 2009, 11:39 AM) *
Yeah, my character is thinking of organizing the Orc Underground and having them all put a big white handprint on their jackets.

the White Hand gang?
Stahlseele
If it weren't so damn expansive, i'd be leaving jet black Cyber-Hands on the Scene of my Characters crimes . .
"Wir sind die schwarze Hand!"
"We are the black hand!"
Kai aus der Kiste
Kai from the Box
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0213027/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012