Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun Battlesuit
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
loadsol
So i was wondering what your all thoughts about modding a battlesuit would be. Since regular armor doesn;t have the capabilities to hold most of the really good mods i was thinking about just starting with a blank slate. Uh i guess the best way to do this would be to just to take a vehicle give it waker-mode and just describe in story as being a suit. Obvioulsly there will need to be a modified body just because how shadow organizes size. but other than that just use the normal mod rule to customize it. This is just my preliminary thoughts and hope to get some view points and maybe some battlesuit builds from the creative minds on this forum.
McAllister
Short answer: go play battletech, this isn't the right game for battlesuits.

Longer answer: the Hyundai Shin-Hyung has the highest body possible for a walker-converted vehicle, and 4 additional mod slots to boot. If you want a giant, walking death-machine, that's probably the answer. If you want a small, mobile death-machine, trick out a Sparrow jetpack. There won't be room for much, but it'll be less of a deathtrap. Finally, consider heavy milspec armor. What the hell do you want to do that doesn't fit in heavy milspec armor?
rathmun
QUOTE (McAllister @ Sep 16 2009, 11:55 PM) *
What the hell do you want to do that doesn't fit in heavy milspec armor?

I may not be the OP, but my guess is vehicle grade armor and main guns.
Cray74
QUOTE (McAllister @ Sep 17 2009, 12:55 AM) *
Short answer: go play battletech, this isn't the right game for battlesuits.

You mean your home game isn't the correct game for battlesuits.

What the hell do you want to do that doesn't fit in heavy milspec armor?

A mercenary or military campaign involving tanks, air support, and artillery. Adaptation of the SR rules to an anime-inspired setting that has battlesuits. A pirate or naval campaign where one might face much heavier weapons than the average runners. Etc. Something loadsol is apparently interested in, in any case, but not something that need trouble your game.

Loadsol, if you want more than conventional military grade armor can deliver then you're probably going to need to go beyond the current SR4 rules. An easy fix might be to give military grade armor more space for expansion.

Doc Byte
Daihatsu-Caterpillar Horseman with advanced cargo module converted mech military version {6 Slots}
Light recon and support verhicle for urban environments

Handling: 3
Accel: 6 / 13
Speed: 48
Pilot: 2
Body: 6
Armor: 12
Sensor: 4

- Full Mechanical Arm {1} [15 Slots]
- Submachine Gun [10] (6 Slots)
- Firing Selection Change to FA (1)
- Gas-Vent System 2 (1)
- Electronic Firing (2)
- Smartlink (1)
- Improved Range Finder (1)
- Sound Suppressor [3]
- External Clip Port [1]

- Full Mechanical Arm {1} [16 Slots]
- Increased Capacity 1
- Grenade Launcher [15] (6 Slots)
- Firing Selection Change to SA (1)
- Electronic Firing (2)
- Smartlink (1)
- Improved Range Finder (1)
- Camera Upgrade Ultrasound (1)
- Airburst Link (-)
- External Clip Port [1]

- Rigger Adaptation {1}
- Chameleon Coating {1}
- Armor 12 {1}
- ECM 6 {1}
- Smoke Projector {1} overmodified in cargo space

- Sensors (12 Slots)
- Microphone 3 (Audio Enhancement 3, Select Sound Filter 3, Spatial Recognizer) (1)
- Front Camera 6 (Low-Light Vision, Thermographic Vision, Flare Compensation, Smartlink, Vision Magnification, Image Link) (1)
- Back Camera 6 (Low-Light Vision, Thermographic Vision, Flare Compensation, Smartlink, Vision Magnification, Image Link) (1)
- Front Laser Range Finder (1)
- Back Laser Range Finder (1)
- Front Motion Sensor (1)
- Back Motion Sensor (1)
- Radar 6 (5)

- Equipment
- Pilot upgrade to 2
- Smart Tires

Costs: 72.600

>>> http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=27149
McCummhail
QUOTE (Doc Byte @ Sep 17 2009, 08:11 AM) *
Daihatsu-Caterpillar Horseman with advanced cargo module converted mech military version {6 Slots}
Light recon and support verhicle for urban environments
It's almost a Tachikoma!
The Monk
QUOTE (McCummhail @ Sep 17 2009, 08:30 AM) *
It's almost a Tachikoma!

except much smaller!
Apathy
In SR you'd be better off in a vehicle than in armor anyway because of the protection from spells by eliminating line of sight.
CodeBreaker
QUOTE (McCummhail @ Sep 17 2009, 12:30 PM) *
It's almost a Tachikoma!

We have one of those somewhere, in a different thread. It is deadly.
I personally am loving Eclipse Phase simply because I can make a Tachikoma with so much ease. Its a bit more difficult in SR.
Blog
Never can go wrong with layering the armor

person in a Heavy-milspec armor suit piloting a walker type vehicle which is piloting a larger walker type vehicle
(Gurren Lagann reference fyi)

Not looked at the SR4 rigger rules, but i know SR3 had rules for taking a raw frame and power plant then building your vehicle. If SR4 does not have that; could use Rigger3 as a model then convert the result.
Aedosen
Any character that owns a vehicle should remember that anyone capable of summoning a spirit can seriously screw up the vehicle owner's day by having a spirit manifest inside the vehicle (if there's any room) and start using aoe powers of fire/water/etc. Anyone inside the vehicle will become very distracted and possibly dead. This can be done from several kilometers away if the spirit is capable of the Search optional power when summoned. This just made me wonder about the size of spirits and such ...

Just a thought as he's thinking about how the battlesuits he's working on fit into the 6th world overall.
Neraph
Personally I'd start with the Thundercloud Contrail for a troll-sized walker with a lot of room, or if you want to be heavy, a Dodge Guardian (can field more armor, comes with a weapon mount, has 2 fewer mod slots).

And don't forget that full-auto and AoE weapons affect the vehicle and pilot separately.
DuctShuiTengu
QUOTE (Neraph @ Sep 19 2009, 03:58 PM) *
And don't forget that full-auto and AoE weapons affect the vehicle and pilot separately.

However, IIRC, the vehicle's armor acts as a barrier. So, you can sit there in your heavy milspec armor in the rigger cocoon on your armored-up orderly parked in the small drone rack in the even-more-armored Shin-Hyung (or Guardian, or Contrail) that you're rigging and those full-auto and AoE weapons are unlikely to ever get the damage ratings necessary to hurt you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012