Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cyberware sans living host?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
TheMadderHatter
Are there any guidelines out there for how long cyberware remains hackable/usable after the host organism dies? I.E. if one of my runners wants to hack the cyberarm attached to a guard's newly cooling corpse, is there still enough power in the arm to permit the hacked limb to move? If said runner then removes the arm, how long before it's out of power? It's not a question of the correct signals, it's a question of the hardware having the energy to act on them.

Basically, how long can a cyberarm/cyberleg remain mobile when separated from a living host? Are there any guidelines on this?
the_real_elwood
I've looked over pretty much every book out there and I've seen absolutely no guidelines. Since cyberware isn't described as having as having its own power supply or batteries (and I'm pretty sure that it's described as running off bioelectric current), I'd give you a couple combat turns at best to hack a dead guy's cyberware. But we're completely into houserules here so argue with your GM for whatever you think seems reasonable.
MJBurrage
I would agree that since the books have never had any kind of rules or fluff about powering cyberware or it running out of power for a user, that it should be assumed to be bio-powered (like implanted LEDs).

I.E. dead user = unpowered cyber.
Dragnar
QUOTE (MJBurrage @ Sep 22 2009, 06:17 AM) *
I would agree that since the books have never had any kind of rules or fluff about powering cyberware or it running out of power for a user, that it should be assumed to be bio-powered (like implanted LEDs).

I.E. dead user = unpowered cyber.

Or you assume its internal batteries can hold out for longer than any possible campaign would last. And even if you want them biopowered, a skilled tech should need all of a few minutes to wire them to an external source (of which he has at least a dozen with him, even disregarding his own cyber).
Really, there's no reason to try to screw players over that.
Ravor
Meh, although I think I'd rule that each piece of cyber has a small amount of battery backup, since they are supposedly run off of the body's electircal field, tis hardly "screwing them over" to rule that cyber runs down at the users death.

Really people, telling your players no IS NOT necessarily the same thing as fucking them over.
otakusensei
QUOTE (Ravor @ Sep 24 2009, 10:13 AM) *
Meh, although I think I'd rule that each piece of cyber has a small amount of battery backup, since they are supposedly run off of the body's electircal field, tis hardly "screwing them over" to rule that cyber runs down at the users death.

Really people, telling your players no IS NOT necessarily the same thing as fucking them over.

I see where he's coming from though. On one hand you're adding a level of depth and flavor to the game. However, depending on the situation it can also be distracting from the focus and feel like a chore.
Ravor
Aye, I can see that side of the argument as well, but I get really tired of posters whining about how it's "screwing them over" when one of their clever ideas is ruled not to work. especially in grey areas where people can and often do simply have different visions of how things work.
eidolon
QUOTE (Ravor @ Sep 24 2009, 10:17 AM) *
Aye, I can see that side of the argument as well, but I get really tired of posters whining about how it's "screwing them over" when one of their clever ideas is ruled not to work. especially in grey areas where people can and often do simply have different visions of how things work.

Amen to that.
Dragnar
To reiterate my previous post, my point was that it doesn't even matter who the ware gets its energy, because a skilled technician will get at it without too much problem anyways, so why make it a chore, like otakusensei said, just because?
It's not "saying no to a good plan", it's forcing something he's going to succeed at anyways to take 10 minutes of your gaming time. Why do that instead of skip it by handwavery and get back to the fun stuff?
Twilights_Herald
I'm just really unclear about why you'd care to do this. I mean, other than turning the loose cyberware into Thing, which might be funny but not very helpful.
Traul
Unless there is a special need for extra power storage, I don't see any reason why a piece of ware should have more batteries than a desktop computer: none. Just some capacities to soften the power drop and give enough time for a graceful shut down.

Batteries are heavy, pollutant, have a short life span and can occasionnally explode. I don't see anyone putting such a drek in his body without some real use for it.
eidolon
Batteries today are like that. Nothing stopping you from making Batteries of the Futureā„¢ that are better. *shrug*

I'd go with whatever makes the stories and games fun.
the_real_elwood
QUOTE (Dragnar @ Sep 25 2009, 04:43 AM) *
To reiterate my previous post, my point was that it doesn't even matter who the ware gets its energy, because a skilled technician will get at it without too much problem anyways, so why make it a chore, like otakusensei said, just because?
It's not "saying no to a good plan", it's forcing something he's going to succeed at anyways to take 10 minutes of your gaming time. Why do that instead of skip it by handwavery and get back to the fun stuff?

It sounded to me like the characters wanted to hack a dead security guard's cyber in the middle of combat. So it's hardly an easy proposition for a tech to wire it up to an external power source as the bullets are flying. Once combat is over, you're right, any decent cyber technician could get some unused cyber hooked up to a power source and do something with it real easy. During combat is a different story, and ruling that they can't just hack a dead guy's cyber during combat is hardly screwing over the players.
Screaming Eagle
Although I personally assume that most cyberware operates day to day off of the *Handwave* bioelectric field I have a greater amount of trouble believing the strenght 6+ cyber arm with Gyro stabilisation and build in lazer weapon doesn't have SOME sort of supplemental energy source for when its hefting a BFG and running full gyro and shooting some guy at the same time...

More definativly powered cyberware: Occular Drone

or maybe this is just me...
None of the following has ever been RAW to the best of my knowledge:
I rule that power maintaince on more Warez' is trivial - aka - Are you on the street with no access to power outlets? If so you are opperating in "low power mode" - no build in lazers, or gyro mount and you strength is quite curtailed, the limb still works but none of the bells and whistles have juice.
If not it is assumed you get what you need and Future Batteries ™, Proudly an Aztecnology product, are both light and hold signifigant (days to weeks) power. This would of course lead to all sorts of on the fly calls as what is and is not powered if people were hacking the dead guys arm... low STR cyber arm not, cyber arm with upgraded STR yes, spurs no, intergral rocket launcher yes... good times - have the power degrade FAST once the host is dead... and have it do damage to the battery redusing the resale value. Alternativly (if you feel like) have any such Ware automatically lock on user death.

Seriously using the dead guards cyberhand and intergral smartlink to kill his buds is fairly weird and kinda cool so I'd be inclined to allow it if only for the novelty/ cunning/ cyberpunk.
Ravor
Dragnar, because it is hardly a chore for a player to declare that he is taking a few minutes wiring power into the cyber using the toolkit he brought and for the DM to nod. In fact, the only time that having to rewire the 'ware would be considered a "chore" is when there is some sort of deadline in which case we have dramitic tension instead. Which is still a good thing and isn't fucking the players over.
AndyZ
There's a Drone Hand modification in Augmentation, page 46. Basically it works in the same way as letting an eye slip out and work as an ocular drone. If you have that, though, you can't get further modification.

Given the stifling rules for that already noted, I would absolutely not allow cyberlimbs to keep fighting upon the removal of its living host.
Hartbaine
The brain lives for about 8 minutes (roughly) after death (YMMV). Give them at least 8 minutes before the body's BE current dies out completely. You could even subtract 1 minute for every 1 point of essence (or fraction thereof) dedicated to cyberware as the internal batteries drain the body's last amount of BE juice faster.

So if a guy had three point of Essence in cyberware, give the PCs 5 minutes to hack what they need and GTFO. No matter how low the Essence the time can not drop below 30 seconds. Even then, you'd need one damn good hacker.

Hope it helps.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012