Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Battletech and Mechwarrior
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Pages: 1, 2
Mana Child
I was wondering whether anyone out there playes these 2 fanpro games as well as shadowrun.

And what is the latest edition in mechwarrior?
bwdemon
Yep! I've played BT and MW for longer than I've played SR. MW3 is the latest incarnation of the Mechwarrior rules and it's met with some opposition, but I like it more than the previous versions...
Swansonegger
MechWarrior 3 is now called Classic Battletech RPG, and it has a new companion which allows players to create PCs with points, rather than the controversial Life Path system. MechWarrior 2 is what I still use, when I play in the odd blue moon during the summer solstice.

And of course, gotta throw out favourite 'mechs. Mine was the Wolverine-M, 3025.
Cray74
QUOTE (Mana Child)
I was wondering whether anyone out there playes these 2 fanpro games as well as shadowrun.

And what is the latest edition in mechwarrior?

Yep, I play.

You might look into:
www.classicbattletech.com (Official Fanpro BT website)
www.heavymetalpro.com (Website of the official battlemech/vehicle design software for BT)

The latest edition of the roleplaying game is 3rd edition.
Moirdryd
Yep, Play em both when i can, Havent got the Classic Battle Tech RPG Compendiumbook yet though. Favorite mech... WR-DG-02FC War Dog
Cray74
QUOTE (Moirdryd)
Yep, Play em both when i can, Havent got the Classic Battle Tech RPG Compendiumbook yet though. Favorite mech... WR-DG-02FC War Dog

The CBT:Companion not only has rules for point-based character creation, but also rules for Battle Armor construction (oddly, there's almost 2 sets of rules in one: one set for the RPG, one set for the board game), and a lot of useful background gaming information - how to run a noble fief, a look at fuels used by ICE vehicles, how mechs and battle armor are constructed, etc.
Swansonegger
QUOTE (Cray74)
You might look into:
www.classicbattletech.com (Official Fanpro BT website)

Cray is the resident "reality" genius over at Classic Battletech too. Smart guy.

The Heavy Gauss Rifle is your favourite, right Cray? wink.gif
Cray74
QUOTE (Swansonegger)
The Heavy Gauss Rifle is your favourite, right Cray?  wink.gif

I dislike the HGR intensely. I think its implementation was handled badly and the resulting weapon is not worth the trouble of mounting it. The dropping damage is truly obnoxious, and most of its other flaws over balance it.

My preferred IS weapons are LRMs, medium lasers, and PPCs (and bombs, artillery, and orbital bombardment).
My preferred Clan weapons are LRMs, and pulse medium/large lasers.
Mana Child
if i could get the books in australia i'd play
JongWK
What are the core books you need to play them?
Mana Child
mechwarrior 3rd edition or this new battletech classic rpg
lodestar
Heretics! Battletech is the only incarnation of the game! You'll all cower under the might of my ARC-3R's LRM barrage!
Cray74
QUOTE (Mana Child)
mechwarrior 3rd edition or this new battletech classic rpg

"Mechwarrior 3rd edition" and "the classic battletech RPG" are the same thing.

To play the RPG, you basically just need the MW3 book. The CBT:Companion will help - the character generation in the MW3 core book is tediously slow.

To play the board game, I recommend the "Battletech Master Rules, Revised." You'll also need a hex map, 2d6, and some counters/minis, but those don't have to be BT-specific. I use improvised cardboard minis often enough.
Mana Child
if thats the case then i know where to get MW3 for $50 AUSTRALIAN.
sweet.
but then id have noone to play with.

FROWN.

As it is noone plays anything like this in my town the closest thing was dnd when tim was in town but hes gone now to i rely on net games.
Daishi
Well, I'm currently running a MechWarrior campaign for two players. It's actually just battletech matches with some out-of-mech interaction and vague story development slapped on before and after the match. Since it's in the context of a GM-Player dynamic it allows to us to play with some fog of war, team dynamics, and other factors in addition to an opposing tactical battle. It's also set in 3030, 'cause we're just that old school.
Mana Child
kewl.

what is the system like ?

hard to learn (i'm talking about mechwarrior 3)
Daishi
MW3 is a very simple system mechanically. It uses a 2d10 system in which the GM assigns a TN and the player rolls his 2d10, adds his appropriate skill bonus and compares to the TN. The degree of success or failure is a factor in the actual result. The TNs are largely fairly arbitrary with a table that provides guidelines for GMs on what sort of things to apply and how much to apply as a modifier. Combat becomes much stricter in the sense of modifiers, but not as complex as shadowrun. Up to this point, it's pretty simple.

Stock character creation uses a life path system in which a player moves through stages of his character's life picking up attributes, skills, and traits through the type of life they choose at each stage, and through random events rolled at each stage. I think it's fascinating and quite fun to see what you come out with. Turning this life-path into a character requires some convoluted mathematics in translating skill points into actual skills bonuses, balancing traits and the nine (!) attributes with everything required during the life path. With something like 120+ seperate skillls listed in the mainbook, it requires a fair bit of number crunching. It takes some time to get used to, but it's fun to see how characters turn out. Adds some very interesting quirks along the way, while still being sufficiently flexible enough to give player lots of room. I haven't tried the point system yet, but I think I will pick up a companion and give it a shot.

The combat system is straight-forward until someone gets hit. Then a great deal of numerical gymnastics are required to figure out the damage dealt, which is then translated into the wound received. The optional rules are a blast, but absolutely insane. We have never had a game in which all players left with all limbs still attached while using the optional rules.

The system is largely free-flowing and fairly straightforward, but the final stages of character creation and the first dozen times you handle combat damage bog down quite a bit. I happen to like the system quite a bit though.
Mana Child
sounds interesting,

when ive payed back dad for my Ati Radeon 9600XT video card i'll buy the core rule book.

Just as a last check thats "Mechwarrior 3rd Edition" right?
Daishi
Yup. Or "The Classic Battletech RPG." Both are completely identical except for the name. I don't know why they changed the name, but I presume it was because of the way FASA's copyrights got divied up.
Cray74
Daishi gave a good summary of MW3. Pay attention to his closing comment about chargen bogging down, though - it can be a shock after making characters with quick point-based systems like SR.
Mr. Boombastic
QUOTE (Swansonegger)

And of course, gotta throw out favourite 'mechs. Mine was the Wolverine-M, 3025.

Hi Swansonegger - seems we like the same Mech
Swansonegger
QUOTE (Mr. Boombastic)

It's a Canadian thing. wink.gif

Hope I didn't offend you Cray74. I lurk over at Classic Battletech, and I think just about everyone knows about your rather strong dislike of the HGR. I couldn't resist.
Adam
QUOTE (Daishi)
Yup. Or "The Classic Battletech RPG." Both are completely identical except for the name. I don't know why they changed the name, but I presume it was because of the way FASA's copyrights got divied up.

WizKids said "Yo. We don't want people being confused between the MechWarrior RPG and MechWarrior: Dark Ages. Change it, dudes."
JongWK
So when's this CBT set? I read a few BT novels years ago, and I loved Hanse Davion and Co. (pity he died during the Clan invasion).

Are you able to simulate old mechs _and_ the new ones? I mean, suppose I want the players to be Inner Sphere guys and the OpFor are Clan mechs... will the difference be visible?
Cray74
QUOTE (JongWK)
So when's this CBT set? I read a few BT novels years ago, and I loved Hanse Davion and Co. (pity he died during the Clan invasion).

Are you able to simulate old mechs _and_ the new ones? I mean, suppose I want the players to be Inner Sphere guys and the OpFor are Clan mechs... will the difference be visible?

The current CBT setting is 3067...Hanse has appeared in the 3025 era and 3050 era, so I'm not sure just which books you read. I'd recommend checking over at www.classicbattletech.com, which not only has forums stuffed with hundreds of regular readers, but also timelines, histories, and several scanned "House Sourcebooks" (3025-era sourcebooks describing the major Houses and BT's history up to 3025.)

The 'mech construction rules allow construction of essentially all mechs in the novels - Clan weaponry is just lighter, more compact, longer-ranged and harder hitting, but it uses the same measurements of tons, critical slots, heat, etc.

(AFAIK, writers usually reference the construction rules and "Technical Readouts" of official mech stats to get an idea of their performance, so you can simulate the mechs in novels because the mechs came before the novels. This might not be so for some of the MWDA novels, which have had some trouble with authors unfamiliar with the setting.)

For example, an Inner Sphere Extended Range Large Laser would be 5 tons, uses 2 slots, generates 12 heat, hits for 8 points of damage, and has a range of 19. The Clan model is 4 tons, uses 1 slot, generates 12 heat, hits for 10 points of damage, and has a range of 25. The difference in pulse lasers is even more dramatic - Clan pulse lasers are a bit lighter, a bit more damaging and have double the range, making them very, very dangerous weapons.

So, yes, cheese...er, Clan Tech is noticeably superior to IS weaponry in the board game.

Swansonegger, no offense taken. I just didn't recall ranting about HGRs lately, so I re-explained my views of them. My current whipping boy is the Clan Advanced Tactical Missile system, which has fluff that had deluded many users into think that it's "very versatile" (when, in fact, it's less damaging and less effective than existing Clan LRMs).

Daishi
QUOTE (Adam)
WizKids said "Yo. We don't want people being confused between the MechWarrior RPG and MechWarrior: Dark Ages. Change it, dudes."

What would be absolutely smashing is if the memo actually used those exact words. biggrin.gif
Daishi
QUOTE (Swansonegger)
QUOTE (Mr. Boombastic @ Feb 2 2004, 01:06 PM)

It's a Canadian thing. wink.gif

As a fellow Canadian, I must hereby pronounce the lot of you as official "weenies" and power up my BNC-3S Banshee* to prove this mathematically. wink.gif

*May actually be a 3cm tall pewter figure.
lodestar
Then I might have to mobilize the 43 Guards Motorized Rifles to contest you, and we don't want that to hppen.
Mana Child
lol its kinda funny what this thread has turned into rofl
JongWK
The current CBT setting is 3067...Hanse has appeared in the 3025 era and 3050 era, so I'm not sure just which books you read.

I read two full triologies: one set around 3025 (Melissa Steiner-Davion being kidnapped, Fed-Com invasion of Capellan Confederation, etc), and another one set in the 3050: IIRC, it was Blood of Kerensky (Clan invasion, Kai Allard-Liao, ComStar vs. Clans, Hanse Davion's death). I also read a novel or two about a top-secret mission against the clans' homeworld (Smoke Jaguars' Huntress, I think... the last one I read ended with Morgan Hasek-Davion poisoned... I so hate when the bookstore stops bringing novels). dead.gif

That's about it. I've heard Natasha Kerensky got killed at some point, and that the Wolf clan got axed, but that came from an old PC game. cyber.gif

Hmm... if I secure my current job, I have a mile-long list of SR/ED/BT/MW stuff to get wobble.gif Time to make my SR/D&D players complete followers of the First Church of FASA Reborn! (aka FanPro) silly.gif
Cray74
QUOTE (JongWK)
I read two full triologies: one set around 3025 (Melissa Steiner-Davion being kidnapped, Fed-Com invasion of Capellan Confederation, etc), and another one set in the 3050: IIRC, it was Blood of Kerensky (Clan invasion, Kai Allard-Liao, ComStar vs. Clans, Hanse Davion's death).

Ah, then you're not all that far out of date.

After Operation Bulldog and Task Force Serpent whupped on the Clans and crushed the Smoke Jaguars...

The Capellans had a bit of a resurgence and claimed some of their worlds near Terra, taking them back from FC (which had kinda split into Lyran Alliance and Federated Suns halves).

The FWL helped out, retaking some of its lost worlds.

The Capellans formed the "Trinity Alliance" with the Majestracy...Magestracy?...of Canopus and Concordat, which then retook St. Ives while the FS was busy elsewhere.

Then, because Victor Steiner-Davion's sister Katherine was making a play for the FS throne without quite correct credentials, there was a civil war between the FS and LA over who was the correct boss of the FS. Major bloodshed and mayhem. IIRC, Katherine got exiled and ran off to the Wolves, while the LA and FS stayed separated.

And the new Star League was declared to be dissolved, because it was just political ploy to fight the Clans.

That's about it. There's big things afoot. The Word of Blake was not happy with the dissolution of the Star League and is about to throw history's greatest tantrum, the Jihad, at the end of 3067, but the timeline hasn't advanced that far yet.
lodestar
QUOTE (JongWK)
That's about it. I've heard Natasha Kerensky got killed at some point, and that the Wolf clan got axed, but that came from an old PC game. cyber.gif

Which was based on the scenario book Falcon and the Wolf which chronicled the Trial of Annihilation between Clan Wolf and Jade Falcon resulting in the Wolves relocating to the inner sphere, the temporary creation of the Jade Wolves and the significant loss in Jade Falcon military power. Later the new Jade wolves became the Wolves again. It was during this trial that the infamous Black widow perished on the sands of Twycross. Phelan Kell/Ward became the Khan of the wolves.
Swansonegger
QUOTE (lodestar)
Which was based on the scenario book Falcon and the Wolf which chronicled the Trial of Annihilation between Clan Wolf and Jade Falcon resulting in the Wolves relocating to the inner sphere, the temporary creation of the Jade Wolves and the significant loss in Jade Falcon military power. Later the new Jade wolves became the Wolves again. It was during this trial that the infamous Black widow perished on the sands of Twycross. Phelan Kell/Ward became the Khan of the wolves.

Well, seeing as you mobilised the 43 Guards Motorised Rifles to help protect me against Daishi (never thought I'd say I am glad he picked a Banshee, but at least he didn't take his namesake wink.gif ), I feel bad about adding to your post. But I just want to clarify a couple things.

[ Spoiler ]
Cray74
In the Dark Age storyline (in 3132 or something), the two Clans still haven't rejoined.  In fact, it looks like a third Wolf Clan has been created (the Steel Wolves).

No, the Steel Wolves aren't a third Clan. They're more like a bunch of second and third generation expatriates who really, really want to be as cool as the Real Wolf Clans, and so they formed a club and are launching wars of conquest. There's quite a few expatriate factions like that in the 3130s.
lodestar
I gave up on getting new BT stuff after Tech readout 3067 came out. Some of the mech designs just seemed silly or redundant. Most of the IIc mechs are interesting, but in particular I hate the drawings of most of the clan vehicles, none of which seemed terribly realistic or even futuristic. The exception being the Epona. My favorite book is still the old 3025 or the 2750 readouts.

I used to have the 43rd's TOE listed on CBT.com but it seems to have disappeared. I probably don't go there as much as I should, but OTOH I don't get many chances to play anymore - so my rules knowledge is a little dated. You probably won't find anyone else who has the hit charts memorized though. I still love the old heavies and employ them whenever I get the chance. TDRs, WHMs, ARCs and CRD with the odd GHR for fun.
JongWK
Dumpshock character: Lodestar

Relevant skills: English (Battletech jargon) 4 (6)

grinbig.gif
lodestar
Already ahead of you. wink.gif
JongWK
You scare me eek.gif
lodestar
I Try. wink.gif

The 43rd is only the largest unit I can field with BT minis being of regiment size (1Mech Btn, 1Tank Btn, 2Infantry Btns with attatched recon, arty and AA companies not to mention a heli assault company) Unfortunately space and time are never available to use it en masse, its more of a work in progress - touching up the paint and what not. Most are lead minis too if that gives you an indication of how long I've had most of them. I also have a few stars of Ghost Bear, Nova Cat and Diamond Shark marked mechs, and a few other independent lances and companies for whatever gaming situation might arise. Once again I just don't have the time to dedicate to the collection anymore and more than a few are in various stages of being painted and assemled.
Mana Child
what have i started ;(
Swansonegger
QUOTE (JongWK)
You scare me eek.gif

He scares everyone. When ever I am home in Calgary and I see a small plane flying nearby, I tend to duck for some cover. wink.gif

Sounds like you have quite the impressive collection there lodestar. I have nowhere near that many minis. And for the record, he was discussing the Thunderbolt, Warhammer, Crusader, and Grasshopper heavy battlemechs. Old standbys of the 3025 era. I personally preferred the Kurita variant of the Warhammer.

Here is an obscure rule for ya lodestar. What is the Stackpole Rule?
Swansonegger
QUOTE (Daishi)
As a fellow Canadian, I must hereby pronounce the lot of you as official "weenies" and power up my BNC-3S Banshee* to prove this mathematically.  wink.gif

*May actually be a 3cm tall pewter figure.

Hey, nothing wrong with being a weenie.

Time for me to measure my Wolvie.

<puts mini on top of 6-sided die>

Hah! 3.5 cm. Got ya beat. wink.gif
Mr. Boombastic

Actually in most one on one duels ( at least when some cover is avaliable ) due to its superior manouverability a Wolverine will outdo a Banshee.
Daishi
QUOTE (lodestar)
The 43rd is only the largest unit I can field with BT minis being of regiment size (1Mech Btn, 1Tank Btn, 2Infantry Btns with attatched recon, arty and AA companies not to mention a heli assault company)

For a second there, I was about to have a heart attack. A combined arms regiment, I can deal with, but I initially read it as though you had enough minatures for an RCT equivalent. And that's just wrong. Awesome, but wrong.

It's still quite an impressive collection and far more than what I could field in terms of minis. I cap out at 'mech demi-battalion, a power-armor company, and armor demi-company. Almost all are 3025 'mechs, though. Save my green & black namesake, which I don't even use to play.

As for memorizing the hit charts, I thought that was a given for any serious BTech player. wink.gif

Okay, WHM-6K? No, no, no... Granted, dropping the MGs for heat sinks are a good move, but I've found that only 6D has a realistic shot at battlefield survivability in the games I play. However, I guess it should be noted that I often consider a Dragon to be a recon 'mech in our games... I guess we like it heavy. wink.gif

I'm sure Freud would have a lot to say about us comparing our minatures, so I'm just gonna run away from that topic like a man on fire. wink.gif

As for a BNC vs. WLV, I'd still go with the BNC. Granted, the BNC is nearly stationary by comparison, but the WLV has to stay at range. The majority of a WLV's weaponry is short-range, and to use them effectively, he would have to close up real tight to the BNC. Short range against any assault 'mech is just a world of hurt, and the Steiner Banshee upholds that tradition quite well. The WLV pilot is going to be staring down twice the close range guns as he can bring to bear. So most of the work with the WLV requires hit-and-fade with the large laser. A single large laser against a BNC is almost pea-shooter territory. Although they won't hit as often, the BNC pilot is replying with 2 PPCs and an AC/10; nearly four times the firepower.

Against a BNC-3S, I would rather have a Treb with a jerk for a pilot than any Wolverine.

Gah! I'm debating theoretical 'mech combats on the net! Now I'll never get laid! grinbig.gif
Mr. Boombastic
Wrong thinking there. The battle will be in infight distance.
- if the WLV has the initiative it jumps into the BNCs back
- if the BNC has the initiative, the WLV jumps behind the next hill ( into level 2+ water, behind some woods .. ) and waits for the next turn.
Believe me this works. Of course in a mass battle the BNC S is superior to any other 3025 mech
Cray74
QUOTE (Mr. Boombastic @ Feb 5 2004, 03:38 PM)
Wrong thinking there. The battle will be in infight distance.
- if the WLV has the initiative it jumps into the BNCs back
- if the BNC has the initiative, the WLV jumps behind the next hill ( into level 2+ water, behind some woods .. ) and waits for the next turn.
Believe me this works. Of course in a mass battle the BNC S is superior to any other  3025 mech

If you have a handy hill within 5 hexes that a 4/6 Banshee cannot climb, sure, that'll work. However, even a 3/5 mech can usually surmount a hill and make this tactic non-viable for such a limited jumper.

Typically you need much higher jumping rating to keep a hill within viable range. LAMs can use this tactic to horrific effect.

LAMs...pulse lasers...hills...my 3/5 super assault mech...no...the shakes are back...the horror...the horror...where's my medication?
gknoy
QUOTE (Cray74)
[To play the Battletechboard game ] you'll also need a hex map, 2d6, and some counters/minis

I still have my lucky (yet also cursed) 2d6 from my BattleTech days. I love them. I use them whenever I feel I need to roll 2d6.

I :heart: BattleTech. I haven't played it in about 8 years, but I loved it with a passion back then. I remember when i could spec out a 'mech on paper (custom design, that is) in the middle of class with no reference materials. (Of course, this wouldn't be ANY mech, but just one of the heavy ones that I'd use in the daily lunchtime games, so it's not THAT impressive. *grin*)

I'd love to start playing BattleTech again. I don't really have a clue where I'd go to do that, tho -- no board game playing friends around anymore, lol.
Daishi
Boombastic: Any self-respecting BNC pilot is going to force at least some dead ground between himself and proper cover. Five hexes is sometimes a lot, and sometimes not much at all. The best the WLV pilot can do is stay at large laser range moving from cover to cover with maximum movement and try to work the BNC into a closer position that he can try to flank him. The BNC pilot can typically largely play a holding action and maintain himself at an optimum distance.

The hit and run scheme requires very specific terrain to pull off. I've done it quite effectively with a Jenner eliminating a medium battle lance with only some cover fire from a Wyvern. (That was a good day.)

Cray: LAMs? *hissssss*
Also, if the BNC pilot is using a 4/6 Banshee, then he does deserve to fail. So flawed. BNC-3S: So awesome.

gknoy: Glad to see I"m not the only one who idled away class time designing 'mechs. Most of my high school math notes have series of numbers with cryptic notations beside them that specced out designs for a variety of 'mechs. I only ever knew 3025 weapons by heart, and maybe 10 fusion engine ratings. (300 is 19 tons, and 250 is 12.5. Those came up a lot.)
Mr. Boombastic
@ Cray the BNC S is a 3/5 Mech
@ Daishi you need cover ( like I said in my first post on this subject )

@ all even if the WLV can only jump 5 hexes this is enough on most standard maps. Like Daishi said the hit and run tactic allowed him to destroy a medium lance with a Jenner. This means it worked against a quicker opponent with a mech that can absorb a lot less damage and can only jump 5 hexes.
Cray74
QUOTE (Mr. Boombastic)
@ all even if the WLV can only jump 5 hexes this is enough on most standard maps. .

Actually, Daishi said, "The hit and run scheme requires very specific terrain to pull off."

Like Daishi said the hit and run tactic allowed him to destroy a medium lance with a Jenner. This means it worked against a quicker opponent with a mech that can absorb a lot less damage and can only jump 5 hexes.

Again, as Daishi said, "Any self-respecting BNC pilot is going to force at least some dead ground between himself and proper cover. Five hexes is sometimes a lot, and sometimes not much at all."

Sometimes this ping pong approach will work, but I suspect you need odd maps with a lot of tightly clustered 2-level+ hills. Other times, I suspect the Banshee can successfully play "king of the hill" and deny that critical cover to the Wolverine, or get out into the open.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012