Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Called Shots and Burst Fire Mode
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Dakka Dakka
The rules for called shots are IMHO a bit weird. You can call a shot using BF mode but you can't according to RAW do that if you fire the same amount of bullets in FA mode. On the other hand you could, with the gamemaster's permission, use a called shot on a wide burst. Spray and Pray kinda contradicts the idea of a called shot.

So I have a proposal for a houserule or even an erratum.

Shots can be called in any firing mode but no more than three bullets may be fired. There are no Called Shots on Wide Bursts.

Another houserule came to my mind but this makes mounted weapons extremely powerful:

Called Shots may be made in any Firing Mode but only if the recoil is completely compensated.
Karoline
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Sep 29 2009, 05:09 AM) *
Called Shots may be made in any Firing Mode but only if the recoil is completely compensated.

Called shot: Head. Weapon of choice: Vindicator minigun

I totally see that working out well nyahnyah.gif

Anyway, FA fires a minimum of 6 bullets, which is why it is disallowed for called shots. I'd imagine the reason you can combine called shot and burst fire mainly for things like trying to shoot the tires out of a car.
Stahlseele
Called shot with Ares Viper Sliver Gun or Savalette Guardian or Ruger Thunderbolt
Dakka Dakka
QUOTE (Karoline @ Sep 29 2009, 01:46 PM) *
Called shot: Head. Weapon of choice: Vindicator minigun
A) There is no called shot to the head, since there are no hit locations in SR4. All you can do is use a called shot to increase damage. If the result is right, the GM may describe it as a head shot. B) I already said that this rule makes vehicle mounted and compensated weapons extremely powerful. Probably too powerful.

Anyway, FA fires a minimum of 6 bullets, which is why it is disallowed for called shots.
This is not true:
QUOTE ('SR4 p. 143 @ SR4A p. 154)
Characters can use a weapon in full-auto mode to fire bursts, as noted above, each taking a Simple Action. Full-auto weapons can also be used to fire long bursts with a Simple Action or full bursts with a Complex Action.

I'd imagine the reason you can combine called shot and burst fire mainly for things like trying to shoot the tires out of a car.
Why put only one bullet into a vital body part, when you can put three there?

@Stahlseele, while this may be the case I have less trouble imagining a called shot from an assault rifle or a shoulder fired SMG than from these spray and pray guns. Same goes for the Ingram Smartgun X
Stahlseele
There's Shotguns with BF too right?
SMGs are spray and pray, they can do full auto too.
And usually not with enough Recoil Compensation.
Heavy Pistols on the other hand?
Get a firm grip, heavy barrel, strong hand.
All 3 Points negated, much bang behind the bullets.
Dakka Dakka
Yup, there are also BF/FA Shotguns and machine guns on bi- or tripods, all of which should be easier to control than a machine pistol or heavy pistol in one hand. I just did not mention all possibilities.

Negating three points is actually overkill for the called shot. The first Burst is only at -2 and only one Called Shot can be attempted per Action Phase since calling a shot costs a Free Action
Stahlseele
*shrug*
I do it anyway.
Heavy Barrel, Kustom Grip, Strength of 6. 3 points of Recoil Reduction.
So someone with less than 6 points in STR can STILL shoot that thing.
Without too much trouble at least ^^
McCummhail
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Sep 29 2009, 05:09 AM) *
The rules for called shots are IMHO a bit weird. You can call a shot using BF mode but you can't according to RAW do that if you fire the same amount of bullets in FA mode. On the other hand you could, with the gamemaster's permission, use a called shot on a wide burst. Spray and Pray kinda contradicts the idea of a called shot.
Empasis mine.
I fail to see the issue.
A gun set to full auto mode is harder to control than a gun in burst fire mode even if they are squeezing out the same number of bullets.
If all you object to is the wide burst than fixing it is as simple as not allowing called shots on a wide burst.
Dakka Dakka
This is where we have different opinions. For me a three round burst is a a three round burst, whether you have to release the trigger at the end or not. And besides the rule for Called Shots a three round burst is the same thing mechanically no matter which firing mode is used. If hitting a small target is so much more difficult in FA than in BF, why does the US Navy order its MP-5s only with SA/FA even if there are SA/BF/FA trigger groups?
McCummhail
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Sep 29 2009, 09:17 AM) *
This is where we have different opinions. For me a three round burst is a a three round burst, whether you have to release the trigger at the end or not. And besides the rule for Called Shots a three round burst is the same thing mechanically no matter which firing mode is used. If hitting a small target is so much more difficult in FA than in BF, why does the US Navy order its MP-5s only with SA/FA even if there are SA/BF/FA trigger groups?
I would conjecture that the US Navy finds the SA sufficient for "selective fire" and BF not sufficiently necessary when FA fills the role of "fill them full of lead" subscribing to the notion of 'Keep it simple.'
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (McCummhail @ Sep 29 2009, 07:30 AM) *
I would conjecture that the US Navy finds the SA sufficient for "selective fire" and BF not sufficiently necessary when FA fills the role of "fill them full of lead" subscribing to the notion of 'Keep it simple.'

I would say that it is to keep it simple and have only 2 modes... they are highly enough trained to consistently pop off 3 round bursts, even in FA mode... Not really all that hard really, once you have had the training...
Paul
Remember folks it's a game, not a reality simulator. There's going to be flaws!
Draco18s
QUOTE (Paul @ Sep 29 2009, 03:13 PM) *
Remember folks it's a game, not a reality simulator. There's going to be flaws!

If you want a reality simulator, look for Dwarf Fortress. Albeit with less reality than reality, but we're getting there (I mean, how many games do you know that care about the tensile elasticity of metals? Shear yield? Torsion fracture? MOLAR MASS?).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012