Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Silencing a Shotty
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Marwynn
Going by Rules As Written it doesn't specifically forbid Shotguns (or Longarms in general) from using Silencers or Sound Suppressors. I can accept a suppressed Ares Alpha a lot more than a suppressed Remington 990.

But it seems to be okay. Thoughts? Have I missed something?
Tyraxus
There are already shotty silencers (IIRC, there's a company in England that makes them) but current technology only allows a reduction in noise level of about 5-10db, compared to the 20-30db for a pistol/longarm silencer. I don't see any reason why 60 years of dystopian firearms technological advancement couldn't close that gap.
kzt
IIRC, there is a "special purpose" soviet shotgun that used a round that fully contained the gas. The round would telescope out when fired. I can't remember if anyone has reported test-firing it.
Marwynn
Good enough for me, thanks guys. Wasn't much of a Longarms fellow till recently so this was rather new to me.
Dahrken
One thing to keep in mind is that a silencer is used to reduce the noise level, bu also to alter it and change it's spectral caracteristics. This make it less audible but also less identifiable as a gunshot.

You can design a silencer even for very large weapons. It won't totaly silence it, but it will reduce it to the level of something much less powerful (like turning a .50 BMG antimaterial rifle into a 7.62).

The largest specimen I've seen a picture of was a silencer for a tank ! Granted, the thing was a static mount, several meters long and probably weighting several tons, but it existed. It was part of a testing range and I guess it's purpose was to make the overpressure and noise more bearable for the tank crew and observers, and also reduce the neighborhood disturbance.
Saint Sithney
Someone needs to brush up on their modern cinema.
I seem to remember a shotgun with a sort of rotary baffler in No Country For Old Men. grinbig.gif
Wolfshade
Pulling from my oh so great memory( ohhhh yeah) I seem to remember flechett weapons cannot be silenced. So the sound suppressor would work for slugs only. I think.
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Dahrken @ Oct 9 2009, 11:33 PM) *
The largest specimen I've seen a picture of was a silencer for a tank ! Granted, the thing was a static mount, several meters long and probably weighting several tons, but it existed. It was part of a testing range and I guess it's purpose was to make the overpressure and noise more bearable for the tank crew and observers, and also reduce the neighborhood disturbance.

It's also hilariously shaped.

QUOTE (Wolfshade @ Oct 9 2009, 10:07 PM) *
Pulling from my oh so great memory( ohhhh yeah) I seem to remember flechett weapons cannot be silenced. So the sound suppressor would work for slugs only. I think.

Shot rounds are subsonic, so they work well with suppressors. Flechettes aren't shot though. They tend to tear through their wad too early, on account of the fins, and would easily get stuck in the suppressor.
Karoline
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Oct 10 2009, 06:23 AM) *
Shot rounds are subsonic, so they work well with suppressors. Flechettes aren't shot though. They tend to tear through their wad too early, on account of the fins, and would easily get stuck in the suppressor.

Come on now, you know full well you're not allowed to apply real world physics to a game. wink.gif

I don't remember ever seeing anything about flechette rounds being excluded from being silenced.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Karoline @ Oct 10 2009, 05:35 AM) *
Come on now, you know full well you're not allowed to apply real world physics to a game. wink.gif

I don't remember ever seeing anything about flechette rounds being excluded from being silenced.

Because they are not excluded... None of the special ammunition is restricted from being silenced... though silencing the initial shot from a high velocity round is all well and good from the shooters perspective, the supersonic rounds tend to give away the game when they are used to target people... that Supersonic "crack" as the round passes through the atmosphere is not at all subtle, especially if you are intimitely familiar with the sound...

want to silence firearms, use subsonic rounds, it makes it so much easier...
crash2029
QUOTE (Wolfshade @ Oct 10 2009, 01:07 AM) *

Ares Viper.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (crash2029 @ Oct 10 2009, 04:02 PM) *
Ares Viper.

Bingo...
Catsnightmare
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Oct 10 2009, 12:41 AM) *
Someone needs to brush up on their modern cinema.
I seem to remember a shotgun with a sort of rotary baffler in No Country For Old Men. grinbig.gif

Which is complete Hollywood-Bullshit. To the limits of my research ability nobody had developed any type of shotgun silencer back in 1979/1980 time period when that movie was set. Even then if it did exist it would probably be at least twice as large/long as the one seen in the movie if not more and would not even reduce the noise level anywhere near what was shown in the movie. Even modern day shotgun silencers are not that good.
Karoline
QUOTE (Catsnightmare @ Oct 11 2009, 01:59 PM) *
Which is complete Hollywood-Bullshit. To the limits of my research ability nobody had developed any type of shotgun silencer back in 1979/1980 time period when that movie was set. Even then if it did exist it would probably be at least twice as large/long as the one seen in the movie if not more and would not even reduce the noise level anywhere near what was shown in the movie. Even modern day shotgun silencers are not that good.

No need to get so worked up over it wink.gif At least 95% of anything related to science (physics in particular) in a movie is Hollywood Bull. Guns and gunshots fall under physics biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012