Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Astral Barriers Damage Code
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
turlumbule
Hi,
I had a question concerning Astral Barriers. As I understand in the 3rd edition rules, in order to disrupt an astral barrier, a character must make an Opposed Test using Charisma vs Force or use a spell.

But the part I don't get is in the Astral Damage code table, the have a damage code for Astral Barriers at (Force)M Damage.
What the heck ?!?.

Am I missing something
please help

Jason Farlander
If you engage the astral barrier in astral combat, the barrier will defend itself, using its force for the counterattack and dealing a base of Force(M) damage if it generates more successes than the attacker, staged up as normal. Lesson: Do NOT engage force 20 astral barriers in astral combat.
RedmondLarry
I don't think you're missing anything, turlumbule. I haven't seen what, in 3rd edition, would require knowing that an Astral Barrier had a "damage code" of (Force)M. They don't fight back in the way that Jason says.

Overcoming an astral barrier (to pass through or to destroy it) is in SR3 p. 176. Barriers don't have a "Condition Monitor" for tracking damage. Instead, a successful attack on a barrier temporarily lowers its Force. When the force reaches zero the attacker can pass through the barrier, or attempt to destroy it with a test of Charisma (target = twice Force).
darloth
But i believe an unsuccessful attack has a negative consequence... although i can't remember whether its temporary magic loss, or physical damage.

However, if it were physical damage, that would make sense with the above.

Although i'm -not- quoting rules there.
Jason Farlander
Page 176, SR3

Astral Objects
    Astral objects are non-intelligent astral forms like barriers and foci, which only fight in astral combat if attacked. Astral objects inflict physical damage in astral combat.  Similarly, they can only be affected by physical damage.  The owner of a barrier or focus knows automatically if it is attacked in astral combat.

The confusion comes in when you consider that there are two types of astral combat -- the "contest of wills type" and the "I hit you" type. The rules for the contest of wills version are listed beneath the passage I quoted, and again in the spirit section as a special case when dealing with manifested spirits.

An adept with killing hands or a weapon focus could choose to punch or hack at the barrier or focus, engaging in a normal melee attack. The barrier or focus would defend itself as I already described.
RedmondLarry
darloth, the barrier doesn't strike back with physical damage. An unsuccessful attack by a Spirit causes loss of Force, and unsuccessful attack by a Magician causes loss of Magic. The rules on p. 176 describe the details and how these losses can be recovered.
turlumbule
wink.gif Thank you all for your quick replies !!! biggrin.gif

Jason Farlander: The confusion comes in when you consider that there are two types of astral combat -- the "contest of wills type" and the "I hit you" type. The rules for the contest of wills version are listed beneath the passage I quoted, and again in the spirit section as a special case when dealing with manifested spirits.

An adept with killing hands or a weapon focus could choose to punch or hack at the barrier or focus, engaging in a normal melee attack. The barrier or focus would defend itself as I already described.

But like OurTeam said that Barriers don't even have a condition monitor. so how would you apply the staged damage ?

Secondly, why would an awakened character NOT engage a barrier in normal astral combat where he would have access to his Astral combat pool. As I understand it, the Contest of wills type, that Awakened character has no pool (aside for his Karma pool) at his disposal ?

Thanks all
dead.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012