Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: texting in 2070
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
vollmond
What is the minimum that would be required for hands-free texting? There would have to be some form of neural interface, correct? Like a datajack, simrig, or implanted commlink?
Karoline
QUOTE (vollmond @ Oct 20 2009, 12:31 PM) *
What is the minimum that would be required for hands-free texting? There would have to be some form of neural interface, correct? Like a datajack, simrig, or implanted commlink?

You would require some form of DNI.

DNI comes from implanted commlinks, datajacks, and trodes (Nano and regular). Sim modules require DNI to operate. I think simrigs count as DNI, but I'm not 100% sure.

Edit: Oh, and you could also set it up to do voice to text I'm sure.
vollmond
Ok, that makes sense. Thanks!
Shadowfox
Edit: Oh, and you could also set it up to do voice to text I'm sure.

Well, I honestly don't see the point because at that point you can simply record your voice in your head. I've always viewed it sort of how in Ghost In The Shell when they talk to each other over the Net' but it's all echo-y to be distinct from noises coming from outside of your head.
Ascalaphus
I'm sure you could also have a small microphone on your throat and a program that translates your whispers to text (if you dont want implants or DNI.) Programs like that would be trivial in the 2070s.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Shadowfox @ Oct 23 2009, 01:51 PM) *
Well, I honestly don't see the point because at that point you can simply record your voice in your head. I've always viewed it sort of how in Ghost In The Shell when they talk to each other over the Net' but it's all echo-y to be distinct from noises coming from outside of your head.

as a personal experience, text is sometimes more practical then voice for getting the message across. Especially if one is giving instructions or codes, unless one can do the whole military radio alphabet thing...
Traul
I'm not sure texting exists as we know it. The sender can choose any input method. It can be text, DNI, speech,... The receiver can choose any output method: DNI, sound, text,... Since text-to-speech and speech-to-text are mastered, the input and output media do not have to be related anymore.
hobgoblin
yep, i kinda recall that shadowtalk, while presented in text in the books, involve full VR personas poping in to make comments, and that was why the older books talked about deleting massive amounts of data after a flame war or similar...
TBRMInsanity
There is a hierarchy of transition of information. This hierarchy is based on how long it takes someone to process the information in their head. Texting is one of the lowest means of transmitting information to someone else and as literacy decreases, so does the effectiveness of texting (you might as well be sending mores code to some people). Voice mail or even better video mail would be the most effective way to send a message to someone else (and the Matrix can handle that amount of bandwidth easily).
Ascalaphus
The main advantage of text would be to visualize structure of information, like tables or a list of items. The structure tends to be more obvious when it's visualized.
Ayeohx
I believe that some of the new fiction mentions local area chatting through text taking place. I pictured this as a spamming of information to everyone within a certain area (probably definable by the receiver and user). Would be fun for social situations. Kind of like a very local Facebook where everyone is your friend.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012