Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No material links in SR4?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Tanegar
I don't do much with magic in Shadowrun, so it took me until now (I'm making a magic cheat-sheet for a friend) to realize that there's no reference to material links in the section on ritual spellcasting in SR4. Is this a deliberate omission or simply an oversight?
Matsci
It's in Street Magic
TheOOB
Yeah, with just the main book ritual magic is fairly useless. With Street Magic and the rules on material and sympathetic links it can be quite useful...to some characters.
Ravor
Meh, ritual magic is always useful.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Ravor @ Oct 21 2009, 12:57 PM) *
Meh, ritual magic is always useful.

Always... It is just in how you use it...

Keep the Faith
I think it's actually a touch easier in 4th edition, to the point that I wish I had another mage in the group. Pretty sure we could shorten up a few runs.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (3278 @ Oct 21 2009, 02:32 PM) *
I think it's actually a touch easier in 4th edition, to the point that I wish I had another mage in the group. Pretty sure we could shorten up a few runs.

You can do Ritual Magic by yourself you know...

Keep the Faith
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Oct 21 2009, 10:33 PM) *
You can do Ritual Magic by yourself you know...

Yeah, I actually considered it on a recent run, but there's little explicit mention of the ability of the spotter to be the leader of the ritual group [group of one, in this case], and I didn't want to make our [very delightful!] GM work any harder than he's already been doing.

In previous versions, I've done this a time or two, but in the end...I don't know, I always feel like I have it too easy as the mage [and our group's magic expert, to boot] already. Being able to end the world from my easy chair...
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (3278 @ Oct 21 2009, 04:25 PM) *
Yeah, I actually considered it on a recent run, but there's little explicit mention of the ability of the spotter to be the leader of the ritual group [group of one, in this case], and I didn't want to make our [very delightful!] GM work any harder than he's already been doing.

In previous versions, I've done this a time or two, but in the end...I don't know, I always feel like I have it too easy as the mage [and our group's magic expert, to boot] already. Being able to end the world from my easy chair...

Use a spirit for the Spotter... You can do that you know...

Keep the Faith
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Oct 22 2009, 12:28 AM) *
Use a spirit for the Spotter... You can do that you know...

You know, I'd actually missed that in SR4: I just recently got dragged into SR4 via playtesting, having been particularly anti-4th since its publication, and thus still behind on actually reading the rules. Good tip. You used to have to use a Free Spirit or else an Ally - not necessarily your own - but it appears now you can use any spirit at all. That's...well, insane. You pitching to have my GMs angry with you or something?
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (3278 @ Oct 21 2009, 05:42 PM) *
You know, I'd actually missed that in SR4: I just recently got dragged into SR4 via playtesting, having been particularly anti-4th since its publication, and thus still behind on actually reading the rules. Good tip. You used to have to use a Free Spirit or else an Ally - not necessarily your own - but it appears now you can use any spirit at all. That's...well, insane. You pitching to have my GMs angry with you or something?

Nope, just pointing out options...

Keep the Faith
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012