Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kellan & Lothan art (Work in Progress)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
joe12south
Click to view

Don't know if there are any fans of Stephen Kenson's SR novels, but I thought I'd share a work in progress inspired by two of his characters.

I used to play SR back in the day (late 80's) and am contemplating submitting work to the new rights holder.
pbangarth
I love the fire extinguisher. Nice touch.
Paul
Excellent work.
Bull
Awesome! Nice to see the Duels characters getting some love smile.gif
joe12south
Didn't realize there was a connection to Duels, just read the novels. Well, yeah, I guess I had a vague recollection that they were commissioned alongside a new card game.

I'll be sure to post again when this is finished. If anyone is interested, I have a few more pieces I can post.
Bull
"Action Figure" game, actually. smile.gif

http://pl.shadowrun.wikia.com/wiki/Cyberzombie_%28Duels%29

You can see pics of most of the figures on that page. They were cool, but at a 1:12 scale (About 6" for the human male figures), they were just too damn big to realistically be used as Miniatures game, plus the rules were a bit wonky. They'd have been a great Action Figure toyline if they'd have been a bit more poseable, but sadly the articulation was a bit... schizophrenic from figure to figure. Still better than most of McFarlene's toys, but... Eh.

Bull
exSaint
Very nice.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Bull @ Oct 28 2009, 07:36 PM) *
plus the rules were a bit wonky.

Wonky indeed, especially as relates to board size. On the recommended 4'x4' board with default equipment the Ork bouncer and his cattle prod ruled the day, while on an unlimited board the Elf Mage or the riflewoman tore up the place with their insane range and mobility. I never tried to make a truly broken character by trading gear, though…

~J
flowswithdrek
Nice, i like it.
BookWyrm
It's too bad the 3rd series of the figures never were produced. The Decker one looks great.
Malachi
Actually, I think the Lothan character was based on an existing illo: the troll mage from the SR3 GM Screen. The description of the staff that he carries is spot on.
Lok1 :)
Cool action figures, not how I imagined the characters at all. Especialy Street Decon, I imagined Lothan being older looking but the artworks good.
PS: Wheres Kellan's necklase? I don't see it in the picture.
Bull
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Oct 29 2009, 02:30 PM) *
Wonky indeed, especially as relates to board size. On the recommended 4'x4' board with default equipment the Ork bouncer and his cattle prod ruled the day, while on an unlimited board the Elf Mage or the riflewoman tore up the place with their insane range and mobility. I never tried to make a truly broken character by trading gear, though…

~J

Yeah. But that's true in any mini's game, to an extent. I know I always favored smaller boards, or boards with a ton of terrain on them whenever I played my Khorne Chaos armies in Warhammer Fantasy or 40K (Especially 40K), same with my Growler army in Vor. On a large, open field, melee based troops tend to get shot to pieces. But if they have lots of cover and can close quickly..

QUOTE (Malachi @ Oct 29 2009, 03:13 PM) *
Actually, I think the Lothan character was based on an existing illo: the troll mage from the SR3 GM Screen. The description of the staff that he carries is spot on.

Yup, he was. I was just pointing out that most of the characters from the Wizkids books were from the novel line.

Cool action figures, not how I imagined the characters at all. Especialy Street Decon, I imagined Lothan being older looking but the artworks good.
PS: Wheres Kellan's necklase? I don't see it in the picture.

http://pl.shadowrun.wikia.com/wiki/Kellan_Colt

You can see it in her accessories pile. That was one of the interesting things they did with the Duels line was the accessories the figures came with. Neat concept, though some didn't stay on well, or broke easy. :/

And I fudged my link up above a bit. Here's the main Duels page on taht site: http://pl.shadowrun.wikia.com/wiki/Shadowrun_Duels

Series 3, down at the bottom, was never released, though I'd LOVE to get my hands on some of those figures. A couple of the later Wizkids novels featrued some of them (The Scottish Elf and the Decker are Bannickburn and his decker GF from Jason Hardy's novel, Drops of Corruption, for example).

Bull
Sticks
Cool pic, just finished reading Born To Run, as i fill the gaps in the novel collection, and yeah loved the extinguisher
joe12south
I'll have to include the necklace. Been a few years since I read the books, so I'm fuzzy on a lot of the details. For some reason I always heard Kellsey Grammer's voice for Lothan, so I tried to give some of that attitude to my rendition.
joe12south
Click to view

Here's another SR work in progress. Not inspired by any particular published character.
Bull
Wow, fantastic stuff!
CynthiaCM
Great stuff.

I, too, am a fan of Kenson's novels. For some reason, the first one in particular is my favorite SR novel. I own a bunch of the figs as well.
Backgammon
QUOTE (joe12south @ Oct 30 2009, 06:31 PM) *
Click to view

Here's another SR work in progress. Not inspired by any particular published character.

I've never seen art with the angle like that on the floor come out looking so amazing. Very nice.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012