Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cyberware, Capacity, and you
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Marcus
Hey Chummers,

I'm down here in NC and we gotta small by expanding group of players, which of course leads to a lot character creation.
Along the way we stumbled upon a couple things that I found to be puzzling, I'm certain there were specific rules on this
sometime in a previous edition, but I can't find them in 4E. So I'm hear asking ya to tell it to me straight!

Capacity in Cybereyes and Cyberears, I assumed (that is probably my first mistake) could only have those things that were listed
on the same table as the basic models are list (see SR4E20th Edition page 341). Now under Cyberwares general rules it does say you can put capacity into
Cyberlimbs, which i took to mean Arms legs skulls etc. But when I had a fellow player show up at our table with streetsam that had a Commlink in his eye
and olfactory booster in his ears, i was left wondering.
We talked it over peaceably after the game but couldn't find a rule one way or another, though it does talk about putting datajacks in cyber eyes somewhere in the cybereye section. All and all it does not seem to have any major effect on our game, but I do want know.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
-M cyber.gif
Dikotana
I can't document it, but I have always assumed that cybereye capacity can only be used for eye enhancements, cyberear capacity can only be used for ear enhancements, and limb/torso/skull capacity can be used either for enhancement of that bodypart or for sticking in whatever fits and doesn't need a specific home. That would put the SR4 rules more in line with SR3, which didn't give eyes or ears capacity at all, just free essence for enhancements.
Ayeohx
QUOTE (Marcus @ Nov 2 2009, 08:16 PM) *
Hey Chummers,

Capacity in Cybereyes and Cyberears, I assumed (that is probably my first mistake) could only have those things that were listed
on the same table as the basic models are list (see SR4E20th Edition page 341). Now under Cyberwares general rules it does say you can put capacity into
Cyberlimbs, which i took to mean Arms legs skulls etc. But when I had a fellow player show up at our table with streetsam that had a Commlink in his eye
We talked it over peaceably after the game but couldn't find a rule one way or another, though it does talk about putting datajacks in cyber eyes somewhere in the cybereye section. All and all it does not seem to have any major effect on our game, but I do want know.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
-M cyber.gif

Wow. Punch that gamer for making things difficult for you. Afterwards, give em credit for trying.

I wouldn't allow it. Capacity differs depending on body placement. For instance, a smartlink takes 3 eyeware capacity. Foot anchors, spikes that shoot out of the bottom of your feet, also take 3 capacity.
gtjormungand
Please read the section headers for each type of cyberwear (headwear, eyewear, earwear...). It specifically says what can fill with their capacities. For instance, eyewear and earwear can only be put in cybereyes and cyberears, respectively, and those devices cannot accept devices from other sections. However, headwear gear can be put in cyberlimbs if it has a capacity listed.
KCKitsune
Though considering that commlinks can be made pretty small there might be a version that fits in cybereyes (make it 4 capacity and roll with it).
Marcus
QUOTE (gtjormungand @ Nov 2 2009, 11:22 PM) *
Please read the section headers for each type of cyberwear (headwear, eyewear, earwear...). It specifically says what can fill with their capacities. For instance, eyewear and earwear can only be put in cybereyes and cyberears, respectively, and those devices cannot accept devices from other sections. However, headwear gear can be put in cyberlimbs if it has a capacity listed.

That what i had always read it as. Appreciate the Insight Chummers. cyber.gif

Muspellsheimr
QUOTE (SR4A p.343)
STANDARD CYBERLIMBS
Obvious Limbs
Full Arm
Full Leg
Hand/Foot
Lower Arm
Lower Leg
Torso
Skull

QUOTE (SR4A p.338)
These small complex devices are inserted into the head (typically constructed via less-invasive
nanosurgery). Items that have a Capacity rating may be installed in cyberlimbs instead, costing
capacity rather than Essence.

QUOTE (SR4A p.341)
Bodyware that does not have a Capacity rating must be installed
directly into the user’s body; it cannot be installed into cyberlimbs.
Bodyware with a Capacity rating may be installed in cyberlimbs, costing
capacity rather than Essence.

QUOTE (SR4A p.344)
Cyberlimb enhancements use up the Capacity of the cyberlimb they
enhance.

QUOTE (SR4A p.339)
Eyeware subsystems either take up Capacity in a cybereye or
Essence in a natural eye (not both).

QUOTE (SR4A p.341)
Like eyeware, earware can be installed within a complete cyberear replacement
(costing Capacity)
or as an inner ear modification (costing
Essence). Upgrades usually involve both ears, so the user’s hearing is
not unbalanced.
Ravor
Although not really needed in Fourth Edition due to the wireless 'Trix, it bares noting that you used to be able to have a cybereye that held a datajack.
Ayeohx
QUOTE (Ravor @ Nov 3 2009, 01:37 AM) *
Although not really needed in Fourth Edition due to the wireless 'Trix, it bares noting that you used to be able to have a cybereye that held a datajack.

Yeah, and that's freakin creepy!
Traul
QUOTE (Marcus @ Nov 3 2009, 04:16 AM) *
But when I had a fellow player show up at our table with streetsam that had a Commlink in his eye

He is still playing nice: with the same rules, he could have fit a grenade launcher in his cybereyes.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Ayeohx @ Nov 3 2009, 09:40 AM) *
Yeah, and that's freakin creepy!

Why is it more creepy when people stick a cable into their artificial eye than it is when people stick a cable into their real skull?
Ayeohx
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Nov 3 2009, 02:24 AM) *
Why is it more creepy when people stick a cable into their artificial eye than it is when people stick a cable into their real skull?

Huh, for some reason that seems perfectly normal to me. Heck, I'd love a datajack. I'd let em drill a hole in my head and wire it into my brain tomorrow if I could. But messing with your eyes, that's just crazy. smile.gif
Garou
Forget the friggin datajack. As one of my players and fellow dumpshocker, Brazilian Shinobi would say. "Forget datajack. I would sell my liver and kidney to have one thing, and one thing only: Sleep Regulator!"

Unnecessary to say that Shinobi is a guy that is struggling through a computer sciences undergraduate course... smile.gif he has his reasons.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Garou @ Nov 3 2009, 11:03 AM) *
Forget the friggin datajack. As one of my players and fellow dumpshocker, Brazilian Shinobi would say. "Forget datajack. I would sell my liver and kidney to have one thing, and one thing only: Sleep Regulator!"

Unnecessary to say that Shinobi is a guy that is struggling through a computer sciences undergraduate course... smile.gif he has his reasons.

Sleep Regulator All the Way.... But hey... A Sleep Regulator AND a Datajack... Hmmmmmmmmm

Keep the Faith
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (Garou @ Nov 3 2009, 03:03 PM) *

And here I am taking a break on my graduate thesis at 1:30 AM just to visit dumpshock...
Truth be told, while I would gladly give a piece of my liver and a kidney for a sleep regulator, I think I'm overpricing it. NOW, I would gladly give a liver and a kidney AND my eyes for a sleep regulator, digestive enhancement and cyber-eyes cyber.gif
Ayeohx
QUOTE (Garou @ Nov 3 2009, 11:03 AM) *

hell no! I got RSI and a bunch of other arm/wrist nerve issues. A datajack would be a dream come true. Though cyberarms would fix my current issue as well. And I could put "toys" in them.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Ayeohx @ Nov 4 2009, 12:23 AM) *
hell no! I got RSI and a bunch of other arm/wrist nerve issues. A datajack would be a dream come true. Though cyberarms would fix my current issue as well. And I could put "toys" in them.

"Toys" are good...

Keep the Faith
Ravor
silly.gif Mind out of the gutter... Bad Tymeaus Jalynsfein. silly.gif
sqir666
This is correct.

Perhaps I need to visit NC and smack that "player" into a different game system.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012