Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Spells
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Reaver
Got some new spells people may find interesting. Also looking for GM advice as to play balance. See what you think.
-----------------------------------------------
Subprocess

This spell was designed so that mages could better multi-task within thier often busy schedules. Subprocess allows the casting mage to allocate a small part of his mind to a certain task, like solving a problem or guarding a door. The mage will then forget it until the subprocess is finished and reunites with the main mind.
Subprocess allows a person to half learning times for knowledge-based skills, assimilating information and even learning a new spell. Target numbers to learn the material do not change, nor does it affect karma costs.

Type: Physical
Range: Personal
Target: 4
Duration: Sustained
Drain: +1 (M)
Category: Manipulation

--------------

Osmosis

Lets face it, sometimes you just need to absorb a certain amount of data fast! Osmosis was designed for this purpose. The caster holds the book, newspaper, etc. to his head. He casts the spell and absorbs the information at a base rate of 10 seconds per Mp worth of data. Each success will of course reduce the total time needed. The mage will be able to recite the absorbed data right out of his memory. Osmosis will not translate languages.
A separate version of Osmosis cane be used for electronic media, allowing the mage to pull data from P-secs, optical chips and the like. Electronic data is far more difficult to absorb however.

Range: Personal
Target: Object Resistance
Drain:
Hard Data: +1 (L)
Electronic Data: +1 (S)

------------

Multi-Tasking

Multi-tasking allows a person to make two different actions at the same time. The person can still only accomplish actions he is capable of performing at the same time. The person cannot do two separate magical actions at the same time, but could do a magical and a mundane action at the same time. Such a spell could even be used to program a computer and memorize a recording while carrying on a phone conversation. This would cut by 25% the normal required time needed to perform the tasks.
As the human mind does not normally work in such a way, so the caster must overcome the targets Willpower. Every two successes will allow the person to perform an additional simple action. The maximum number of allowed actions is one-half the persons Intelligence rating or the force of the spell; whichever comes first.

Range: Touch
Target: Willpower
Drain: +3 (S)

---------------

Contingency

Contingency allows the caster to program a set condition into the spell. The spell stays in effect until the condition happens. When that trigger event occurs, the contingency spell will activate a number of foci equal to the spells rating. The foci to be activated must be determined at the time the spell is cast. This allows the mage to save immense time activating foci.

Drain: -1 (M)

----------------

Avoid Traffic

This spell uses divination and detection to allow the mage to be better aware of traffic, which is nearby. This gives the mage the ability to dance around traffic easier.
In game terms, the spell provides one extra die per two successes gained in the spell-casting test, up to the maximum force of the spell. These bonus dice can only be used for vehicle tests. The spell only provides the bonus dice with vehicles; pedestrians do not count. Avoid traffic is an extended area spell.

Range: Limited
Target: See table, pg. 192
Drain: +2 (D)
Category: Detection

-----------------

Akira Bootleg

The Akira Bootleg allows the person to make stops and bootleg turns at any speed. The spell nullifies the inertial energy to allow better control when making such braking maneuvers. This spell can be used to make hairpin turns easier, or to come to a quicker stop.
The spell allows the caster to reduce the actual total speed when making a crash/control test. For every two successes, the actual speed is reduced by 10 kph. The spell only takes effect when braking is applied to the vehicle.

--------------

Strength of Steel

Designed as an aid for creating prototypes and strengthening important items. This spell gives any material a net strength many times greater than it had before. With this effect, balsa wood could be made stronger than the toughest steel alloys.
The spell increases the barrier rating of the material by +1 for every two successes. The amount of material that can be transformed is 5kg per magic rating attribute.

--------------

Longevity

Longevity is the magical version of the Leonization process. The spell halts the aging process for as long as the spell is active. Of course, it is obvious that this spell must be kept active for long periods of time to be beneficial. Longevity would be best as a quickening.
Longevity follows the same aging rules as Leonization.

Target: 10 - Essence
Drain: +1 (D)
Category: Health

--------------

Integrate

Integrate was designed to interface the mage to technological items. Integrate allows the mage to have complete mental control over a technological device as if he was connected to it via a datajack. The device could be something as simple as a digital watch or as complex as a cyberdeck.
The GM might allow a –1 TN under certain circumstances to reflect the ease in using the item the mage is integrated to.

Drain: -1 (D)

------------------

The Clapper

The Clapper is a nifty spell designed to turn the lights on with a whim, without flipping a switch. When the spell is cast, any light bulbs within the vicinity are flooded with a flow of electrons. The lights will remain on so long as the spell is sustained.
Every two successes will turn on one light fixture, up to the maximum force of the spell.

Range: LOS
Drain: +1 (L)

---------------

Charge Battery

Charge Battery is designed to magically recharge a battery.
The spell will recharge a battery with the equivalent of one charge per two successes. For example, a battery on an Ares Redline would get three shots back if six successes were made on the spell-casting roll. The battery cannot receive more charges than the maximum force of the spell.

Drain: +1 (L)

----------------

Dampen Explosion

Dampen Explosion simply allows the caster to reduce the explosive strength of any kind of explosive device.
When cast, the spell reduces the rating of an explosive device by 1 point for every two successes. This force reduction cannot go above the force of the spell of course. The damage code of the explosion is not changed. The spell targets a single explosive device per casting.

--------------

Enhance Explosion

Enhance Explosion simply allows the caster to increase the explosive strength of any kind of explosive device.
When cast, the spell increases the rating of an explosive device by 1 point for every two successes. This force increase cannot go above the force of the spell of course. The damage code of the explosion is not changed. The spell targets a single explosive device per casting.

----------------

Controlled Reaction

Controlled reaction allows the spell caster to effectively negate or expand any chemical reaction he chooses. For every two successes, the energy in a chemical reaction is increased or reduced by one point, up to the force of the spell.
At the GM’s discretion, too much added energy may produce an explosion.

Drain: +1 (S)

---------------

Etherealness

Etherealness allows the spell caster or a touched target to become insubstantial. The target can pass through solid objects, but not anything with an aura or magical barriers. Moving through the barrier is determined by the success of transformation. Movement is reduced by the barriers rating, minus 1 for every 2 successes gained in the casting. Movement cannot be reduced below a Quickness of 1.
While ethereal, a person is considered to have immunity to normal weapons, but worn armor has no effect.

Drain: +1 (S)

--------------------
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Reaver (emphasis mine))
Akira Bootleg

The spell nullifies the inertial energy to allow better control when making such braking maneuvers.

Could you cast this on a person to make him unable to do any damage in melee?
Reaver
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
QUOTE (Reaver (emphasis mine))
Akira Bootleg

The spell nullifies the inertial energy to allow better control when making such braking maneuvers.

Could you cast this on a person to make him unable to do any damage in melee?

I don't see why not. You'd just have to rewrite it.
Backgammon
Etherealness: too powerful IMO, scrap it completely
Intergrate: TN should be as per Object resistance
Avoid Traffic: This effect cannot be obtained through magic, since it includes aspects of divination. Besides, city spirit + guard = pedal to the metal with no accidents.
Contingency: No.
Osmosis: hmm... doubtful... it's kinda cool, though.
Austere Emancipator
-1 Power of all melee attacks per success, or something like that. Even better if you cast in on the bugger's katana -- no Resistance test.

You've got a lot of spells there that make energy appear or disappear. Making such spells that can have very varied results depending on what you cast them on might not be a very good idea. For example, the Controlled Reaction spell could be used to immediately stop all functions in a living being, and if sustained for a long enough time it will kill anyone. Strength of Steel might have similarly destructive uses.

This is one basic problem with magic: If you are capable of doing all the cool cinematic stuff, then logically you should be capable of killing people without any problem whatsoever. As long as the spells are took to extremes and are very specialized, the suspense of disbelief is easier. These spells might raise some serious issues.

However, many of them might work extremely well and be very fun.
Reaver

Etherealness: too powerful IMO, scrap it completely
Intergrate: TN should be as per Object resistance
Avoid Traffic: This effect cannot be obtained through magic, since it includes aspects of divination. Besides, city spirit + guard = pedal to the metal with no accidents.
Contingency: No.
Osmosis: hmm... doubtful... it's kinda cool, though.

You're right. Integrate should be OR for the TN, and I completeply forgot to change that. My bad. embarrassed.gif

Avoid Traffic uses detection to detect where cars are, not divination, so it could be obtained through magic just like you could use detect life to get through a room full of invisible people. I do like to city spirit idea as well thou. smile.gif

Contingency. Why no? Nothing in spell design states you can't do it. Just wondering why you say no. smile.gif

I thought Osmosis was cool too, hence the reason I wrote it. smile.gif
Reaver
-1 Power of all melee attacks per success, or something like that. Even better if you cast in on the bugger's katana -- no Resistance test.

You've got a lot of spells there that make energy appear or disappear. Making such spells that can have very varied results depending on what you cast them on might not be a very good idea. For example, the Controlled Reaction spell could be used to immediately stop all functions in a living being, and if sustained for a long enough time it will kill anyone. Strength of Steel might have similarly destructive uses.

This is one basic problem with magic: If you are capable of doing all the cool cinematic stuff, then logically you should be capable of killing people without any problem whatsoever. As long as the spells are took to extremes and are very specialized, the suspense of disbelief is easier. These spells might raise some serious issues.

However, many of them might work extremely well and be very fun.

That is a neat idea. I think I'll have to write that one at some point. Although, could just as easily make a kinetic barrier that robs the kinetic energy away from the incoming object.

Some spells aren't meant for direct killing though. The GM could rule that Control Reaction could control a specific chemical process... that you have to be able to see of course... so affecting such processes inside people would be a no go. Nice thinking though. I like your devious nature. wink.gif

Destructive nature with Strength of Steel? Potentially. You could increase the barrier rating of something soft and hit someone with it. Who would've thought that sponge would hurt so much? wink.gif
Zazen
As I recall there is a spell in MITS called Reinforce which does about the same thing as Strength of Steel.
nezumi
Another point, a lot of those shouldn't be manipulation. Technically, everything is some form of manipulation, so try to avoid that category whenever possible. For instance, at least a few of the first ones I'd put as health (multi-tasking most especially). Just a recurring problem throughout the game...
Austere Emancipator
(Un?)Fortunately Reinforce only increases the Barrier Rating of the target, it does not claim to actually make it stronger in any way. Instead with the Strength of Steel, cast it on a person and see what happens. A cheap Petrify with even worse consequences -- consider what would happen to a (meta)human body if every substance within suddenly became several times harder/tougher/stronger. I can't think of anything specific, but I'm sure it wouldn't be pretty.
Reaver
QUOTE (Zazen)
As I recall there is a spell in MITS called Reinforce which does about the same thing as Strength of Steel.

Shows you how much I pay attention. wink.gif
Reaver
QUOTE (nezumi)
Another point, a lot of those shouldn't be manipulation. Technically, everything is some form of manipulation, so try to avoid that category whenever possible. For instance, at least a few of the first ones I'd put as health (multi-tasking most especially). Just a recurring problem throughout the game...

That's a good point. Sometimes it gets hazy deciding what category a spell should go into. Thanks for the input thou, I will definitely move multi-tasking into health. smile.gif
Spookymonster
Contingency sounds too much like Anchoring without the initiation or karma cost. Consider a stacked Sustaining Foci containing Contingency-1 and Agony-5. The trigger is set so it goes off if anyone gets within 1 meter of the foci and has a gun in their hand. For 6 karma, you just built the magical equivalent of a reusable landmine.
Zazen
(Un?)Fortunately Reinforce only increases the Barrier Rating of the target, it does not claim to actually make it stronger in any way.

I think that Barrier Rating is as good a representation of the strength of a material as you'll find in SR.
Austere Emancipator
In Shadowrun, you can't assume that BR = strength of a material. Just like you can't assume that Power = penetration of an attack. Giving something a greater Barrier Rating might just mean that the target makes energy around it disappear.
Reaver
QUOTE (Spookymonster)
Contingency sounds too much like Anchoring without the initiation or karma cost. Consider a stacked Sustaining Foci containing Contingency-1 and Agony-5. The trigger is set so it goes off if anyone gets within 1 meter of the foci and has a gun in their hand. For 6 karma, you just built the magical equivalent of a reusable landmine.

Actually, that landmine wouldn't be useable for long. Your own shadow team would geek you from getting zotted by it cause they carry guns. wink.gif

However, it could be designed specifically as a spell to be anchored to balance it out.
Deep Blue
Contingency sounds like a spell version of trying to get a modified version of Anchoring metamagic, without innitiating -- specifically, the 'trigger' aspect of anchoring. Since having a spell trigger another spell is a metamagic, I'd say you can't just make it just a spell smile.gif

In addition, activating foci can only be done by the person to whom the foci are bonded. This means your friend can't activate them, and you shouldn't be able to cast a spell to activate them, either.

Etherealness as a concept is fine, I'd say: it's a transformation manip that makes you insubstantial. However, keep in mind that immunity to normal weapons isn't actual -immunity-. Electrical, fire, cold, etc. attacks will still kick your ass. The TN is way off: target should be Body, and there should be a threshold equal to 1/2 body to overcome. The amount of etherealness should be determing by the success of the spell, and you should find a way to work that into both the maximum barrier rating a person can walk through and the effectiveness of the immunity to normal weapons. The drain should be S (major physical change) +1 (physical spell) +1 (sustained), -1 Drain Level (touch range) for a final drain of +2M. Use the Transformation spell on 148 of MitS as a guide.

Longevity is only really a game-breaker if you're planning on running a compaign with a bunch of old guys. It should only slow a person's aging process, not stop it, for the duration of the sustaining (I assume it's regenerating cells and not slowing time?) based on the number of successes -- if you're planning on making a person young again with a single magic spell, well... This sounds like the realm of cybermancy or some wierd metamagical spell as yet undiscovered, and it should stay there IMHO.

I'd say Osmosis is fine, and you'll be able to spout whatever it is you've absorbed, but only as long as you sustain the spell. After that, the info goes bye-bye. There should be an upper limit on the amount of info that can be stored in this way. probably base on int or will.
Reaver
Contingency sounds like a spell version of trying to get a modified version of Anchoring metamagic, without innitiating -- specifically, the 'trigger' aspect of anchoring.  Since having a spell trigger another spell is a metamagic, I'd say you can't just make it just a spell smile.gif

In addition, activating foci can only be done by the person to whom the foci are bonded.  This means your friend can't activate them, and you shouldn't be able to cast a spell to activate them, either.

Here's my look at it. You're not having a spell trigger another spell, you have it trigger a focus. The focus is an actual object on your person and therefore can be affected by spell casting. If it can be targeted by spells and can be affected by mages, why can't you have a spell that activates it? That's just my view on it.

Etherealness as a concept is fine, I'd say: it's a transformation manip that makes you insubstantial.  However, keep in mind that immunity to normal weapons isn't actual  -immunity-.  Electrical, fire, cold, etc. attacks will still kick your ass.  The TN is way off: target should be Body, and there should be a threshold equal to 1/2 body to overcome.  The amount of etherealness should be determing by the success of the spell, and you should find a way to work that into both the maximum barrier rating a person can walk through and the effectiveness of the immunity to normal weapons.  The drain should be S (major physical change) +1 (physical spell) +1 (sustained), -1 Drain Level (touch range) for a final drain of +2M.  Use the Transformation spell on 148 of MitS as a guide.

I like those changes. I'm going to put that into the spell. Thanks Blue. smile.gif

Longevity is only really a game-breaker if you're planning on running a compaign with a bunch of old guys.  It should only slow a person's aging process, not stop it, for the duration of the sustaining (I assume it's regenerating cells and not slowing time?) based on the number of successes -- if you're planning on making a person young again with a single magic spell, well... This sounds like the realm of cybermancy or some wierd metamagical spell as yet undiscovered, and it should stay there IMHO.

Grumpy Old Shadowrunners? wink.gif

The spell does not make one younger, it just stops aging for as long as the spell is sustained. Could easily change it to 'slow' healing, but I was to lazy to hammer out rules for how much a person actually ages over time while the spell is active. Not to mention answer questions about what happens if the spell is dispelled a month into using it. wink.gif

I'd say Osmosis is fine, and you'll be able to spout whatever it is you've absorbed, but only as long as you sustain the spell.  After that, the info goes bye-bye.  There should be an upper limit on the amount of info that can be stored in this way. probably base on int or will..

Good point. I'm gonna add that in.

Thanks a lot deep blue. Your input is greatly appreciated. smile.gif
Zazen
Giving something a greater Barrier Rating might just mean that the target makes energy around it disappear.

If that's the case, wouldn't you say that the material is acting as if it were stronger?
Neon Tiger
Ok, what about this spell:

Magic Sword

Target: 6
Drain: (D)
Category:Transformation Manipulation

This spell creates a physically movable barrier that has a shape of a sword or similar edged weapon. The weapon has Reach of 0 and +1 Reach for every success beyond the first, up to maximum of half the spell's force or 3. Damage for the blade is (STR) M. It's wielded with either Edged weapons(Reach 0 or +1) or Polearms(Reach +2 or +3).
The Magic Sword maybe used by anyone. Because of it's magical nature, it is considered a magical weapon and will bypass Immunity to Normal Weapons. It deals (Force) M damage on spirits.
Reaver
QUOTE (Neon Tiger)

Magic Sword

This spell creates a physically movable barrier that has a shape of a sword or similar edged weapon. The weapon has Reach of 0 and +1 Reach for every success beyond the first, up to maximum of half the spell's force or 3. Damage for the blade is (STR) M. It's wielded with either Edged weapons(Reach 0 or +1) or Polearms(Reach +2 or +3).
The Magic Sword maybe used by anyone. Because of it's magical nature, it is considered a magical weapon and will bypass Immunity to Normal Weapons. It deals (Force) M damage on spirits.

That's an interesting idea. smile.gif
Neon Tiger
QUOTE (Reaver @ Feb 2 2004, 08:25 PM)
QUOTE (Neon Tiger @ Feb 2 2004, 06:23 PM)

Magic Sword

That's an interesting idea. smile.gif

Yeah, it's interesting, I was just looking for opinions on if it's too powerful or weak, and if it really is even possible by SR rules. So, everyone, what you say? biggrin.gif
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Zazen)
If that's the case, wouldn't you say that the material is acting as if it were stronger?

Not in all cases. If the spell really worked in such a way as to make energy around it disappear, you could still bend it as normal, and otherwise manipulate it, allowing the (meta)human body to still function somewhat normally. If human flesh actually became as hard as steel, moving would be a bitch. Living, too.
BitBasher
And you couldn't phsysically see it since light energy couldn't refract off of it.

It would look like a black hole in space.
Reaver
QUOTE (Neon Tiger)
Yeah, it's interesting, I was just looking for opinions on if it's too powerful or weak, and if it really is even possible by SR rules. So, everyone, what you say? biggrin.gif

It doesn't cause teleportation. It doesn't cause time travel. It doesn't attempt to conjure a spirit. So it's definitely doable in the rules according to MITS.

As to powerful or weak, I think you've got a good balance on it and I like the way the damage was done. Far better idea than having variable damage. smile.gif
Reaver
QUOTE (Zazen)

Not in all cases. If the spell really worked in such a way as to make energy around it disappear, you could still bend it as normal, and otherwise manipulate it, allowing the (meta)human body to still function somewhat normally. If human flesh actually became as hard as steel, moving would be a bitch. Living, too.

Strength of Steel wouldn't work on a living being however. It's designed to affect inanimate objects. You could write a spell that would affect living beings, but frankly I'd just stick with the armor spell. It's quicker and easier. wink.gif
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (BitBasher)
And you couldn't phsysically see it since light energy couldn't refract off of it.

That too... Hey, what'd happen if it could drain away potential energy, as from height etc?

QUOTE (Reaver)
Strength of Steel wouldn't work on a living being however. It's designed to affect inanimate objects.

So many of the spells have got Restricted Target: Inanimate Objects? Okay, that means the problem is at least delayed.

Less on-topic: Maybe the Manipulation = Too large a spell category could be avoided by splitting it into Energy Manipulations, Material Manipulations and Elemental Manipulations so that a Raccoon Shaman might have +2 dice on Material Manipulations for example. This would require a complete re-grouping of the spells, but I don't mind that. But would it work?
Zazen
QUOTE (Zazen)

Bending it would require adding energy to it, some of which should be absorbed by the spell. It should be harder to bend, just as it's harder to deform it with a bullet. However the spell works, the material should act stronger.
Reaver
QUOTE (BitBasher)

That too... Hey, what'd happen if it could drain away potential energy, as from height etc?

QUOTE (Reaver)
Strength of Steel wouldn't work on a living being however. It's designed to affect inanimate objects.

So many of the spells have got Restricted Target: Inanimate Objects? Okay, that means the problem is at least delayed.

Less on-topic: Maybe the Manipulation = Too large a spell category could be avoided by splitting it into Energy Manipulations, Material Manipulations and Elemental Manipulations so that a Raccoon Shaman might have +2 dice on Material Manipulations for example. This would require a complete re-grouping of the spells, but I don't mind that. But would it work?

Manipulation already has three different groupings as it is. And a specific category (manipulation) focus I believe still provides its dice for any spell within the actual 'manipulation' group.

The biggest problem with spell design sometimes is just deciding which group the spell better fits into, and manipulation often seems to be the catch all.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Zazen)
Bending it would require adding energy to it, some of which should be absorbed by the spell. It should be harder to bend, just as it's harder to deform it with a bullet. However the spell works, the material should act stronger.

Considering my extremely poor understanding of physics that may well be. In this case, just make a living-target Reinforce -- 100% proof near-immediate killing spell with a Drain of +1(M). The only downside is the Body(Treshold) Target, but it's surmountable because of the piddly Drain.

QUOTE (Reaver)
Manipulation already has three different groupings as it is. And a specific category (manipulation) focus I believe still provides its dice for any spell within the actual 'manipulation' group.

My point was that, instead of grouping Manipulation into the subgroups it currently has, Manipulation would be split into the mentioned main groups which would be separate in the same way that Illusion and Health are currently separate. There are so damn many ways of "Manipulating" stuff that putting it all under one header is perhaps a bit silly.

Health could be Living Tissue Manipulation, Illusion could be Mind Manipulation. Combat doesn't really fit in, because it includes stuff from all over what I'd consider Material and Energy Manipulations. Detections are quite different in their operating principle.
Reaver
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator @ Feb 2 2004, 07:03 PM)
QUOTE (Zazen)

Considering my extremely poor understanding of physics that may well be. In this case, just make a living-target Reinforce -- 100% proof near-immediate killing spell with a Drain of +1(M). The only downside is the Body(Treshold) Target, but it's surmountable because of the piddly Drain.

You'd have to change it into a damaging manipulation spell first... which would change the drain code to at least +1 (Damage Level).
Austere Emancipator
It wouldn't do damage. It'd just make living a bit too hard. Granted, this kind of logic doesn't really fit into Shadowrun, which makes it even harder to design logical spells.
Reaver
It wouldn't do damage. It'd just make living a bit too hard. Granted, this kind of logic doesn't really fit into Shadowrun, which makes it even harder to design logical spells.

Very true.
Lantzer
Spells like Charge battery shouldn't have TN 4. Try using the Object Resistance rating.

This way, lemons are easier to recharge than ordinary lead-acid car batteries, which are in turn easier to recharge than really high-tech batteries.
Reaver
QUOTE (Lantzer)
Spells like Charge battery shouldn't have TN 4. Try using the Object Resistance rating.

This way, lemons are easier to recharge than ordinary lead-acid car batteries, which are in turn easier to recharge than really high-tech batteries.

Good point. Thanks for catching that. I completely forgot. :o)
Fortune
QUOTE (Neon Tiger)

Magic Sword [snip]

The weapon has Reach of 0 and +1 Reach for every success beyond the first, up to maximum of half the spell's force or 3.

I don't mind the spell at all, except for the Reach factor. I think the reach should be kept static at 1.
Lilt
The Magic Sword idea is interesting. I was contemplating something like this, but using a touch-range elemental manipulation. Sorcery is rolled as the melee skill (rather than ranged skill) and damage is calculated from the spell rather than the strength of the mage. It's not overly useful but it could be used to get another damage-level from an elemental effect thanks to the touch range.

There is also the "Elemental Sword" spell (ala D&D's Flameblade) which would probably be similar to the Magic Sword spell, except that it ups the damage done by 2. It is a specialised version of the Flame Aura spell that drops the "All Round" flames and strike-back damage in-favour of a more focused, solid, blade of flame. Instead of 1cm/success over the whole body it reaches further, possibly gaining a reach bonus, but I'm not sure what that should be. Ideas?
Neon Tiger
QUOTE (Lilt)
The Magic Sword idea is interesting. I was contemplating something like this, but using a touch-range elemental manipulation. Sorcery is rolled as the melee skill (rather than ranged skill) and damage is calculated from the spell rather than the strength of the mage. It's not overly useful but it could be used to get another damage-level from an elemental effect thanks to the touch range.

There is also the "Elemental Sword" spell (ala D&D's Flameblade) which would probably be similar to the Magic Sword spell, except that it ups the damage done by 2. It is a specialised version of the Flame Aura spell that drops the "All Round" flames and strike-back damage in-favour of a more focused, solid, blade of flame. Instead of 1cm/success over the whole body it reaches further, possibly gaining a reach bonus, but I'm not sure what that should be. Ideas?

Well, I did some calculating for drain and made some other changes for the original Magic Sword spell I posted.

I changed it to touch range, and I think it should also be possible to use the spell to make a blunt weapon if you wanted to deal Stun damage. Maybe one could even use Sorcery for the melee skill, as if going Astral Combat. The new drain is +2 (M).

You could add elemental effect rather easily, maybe up the power by 2 and have it deal secondary elemental effects as per MiTS. That would change the drain to +2 (S).

Otherwise, the TN remains 6 and each success after the first adds +1 reach.
Lilt
Hmm... Yes. I suppose the TN of 6 is the only one you could use if you actually want to form a coherent weapon.

For the reach factor: I'd suggest +1 reach for every 2 successes, meaning 1 success gives you 0 reach (ala dagger) 2 successes give you 1 reach, 3 successes give you 1 reach, and 4 successes give you 2 reach. 3 reach (6 successes) should be very hard to obtain as there are no weapons that give it.

Secondly, and this one is carsh if combined with the above, I'd consider capping successes at 1/2 spell force, meaning that you need a force 2 spell for a dagger, a force 4 for a sword, a force 8 for a polearm, and a force 12 for an uberarm.

Unless you modify it somewhat; you could get virtually the full effect of the spell from an extremely low force. Taking your spell as read, force 1 is all that most people would want as edged weapons is more common (in PCs and NPCs) than polearms.
boodah
Since we are on the subject of spells, heres a good one for you (re: Diablo 2):

Corpse Explosion

With a resounding wet "thud," Corpse Explosion does fire and blast damage to everything within magic rating in meters around the corpse. The corpse instantly gibs, throwing body parts and fluids from the original point of origin. Body parts tend to roll on the ground rather than fly through the air, but internal fluids do spray.
The power of the blast is increased by +1 for every two points of body the corpse had.

Duration: Instant
Drain: +2 (Damage Level +2)

And heres one for you sword users:

Fury Blade

Fury Blade is a touch version of Energy Torpedo and similar to Flame Blade. The spell creates a web of shifting colored lightning across the length of the blade.
Fury Blade combines the effects of a mana bolt with the elemental effects of blast, fire, lightning and light.

Drain: +1 (Damage Level +4)
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (boodah)
Fury Blade
[...]

w00t! At Force 1 Light, this spell has a Drain Code of 3D. At Force 4 Moderate that goes up to 7D. Good luck casting it...

BTW, it should probably combine the effects of a Power Bolt with all that elemental stuff, and not those of a Mana Bolt.
Reaver
QUOTE (boodah)
Fury Blade
[...]

w00t! At Force 1 Light, this spell has a Drain Code of 3D. At Force 4 Moderate that goes up to 7D. Good luck casting it...

BTW, it should probably combine the effects of a Power Bolt with all that elemental stuff, and not those of a Mana Bolt.

With all the elemental effects, don't really need the power bolt. And the mana effect is for providing that extra little punch for those pesky spirits. wink.gif
boodah
the spell that furyblade is based off of has a drain code of +1 DL+7...Its an AOE version of furybolt. I cast it once, at force 5. Once.
Austere Emancipator
That almost makes me want to use Over-Drain instead of additional Drain Levels increasing the Power.

Player: "But I only cast it at Force 5 and I've got a Magic rating of 9, how can it kill me?!?!?!?1+1+1oneplusoneplustwo"
GM: "The drain was 3 Deadly + 12 overdamage. You had only 4 successes, so it overflowed into Physical with ten boxes. So shut up, bitch."
Reaver
That almost makes me want to use Over-Drain instead of additional Drain Levels increasing the Power.

Player: "But I only cast it at Force 5 and I've got a Magic rating of 9, how can it kill me?!?!?!?1+1+1oneplusoneplustwo"
GM: "The drain was 3 Deadly + 12 overdamage. You had only 4 successes, so it overflowed into Physical with ten boxes. So shut up, bitch."

ROTFL
boodah
Priceless.
Neon Tiger
QUOTE (Lilt)
Hmm... Yes. I suppose the TN of 6 is the only one you could use if you actually want to form a coherent weapon.

For the reach factor: I'd suggest +1 reach for every 2 successes, meaning 1 success gives you 0 reach (ala dagger) 2 successes give you 1 reach, 3 successes give you 1 reach, and 4 successes give you 2 reach. 3 reach (6 successes) should be very hard to obtain as there are no weapons that give it.

Secondly, and this one is carsh if combined with the above, I'd consider capping successes at 1/2 spell force, meaning that you need a force 2 spell for a dagger, a force 4 for a sword, a force 8 for a polearm, and a force 12 for an uberarm.

Unless you modify it somewhat; you could get virtually the full effect of the spell from an extremely low force. Taking your spell as read, force 1 is all that most people would want as edged weapons is more common (in PCs and NPCs) than polearms.

About the reach: Your approach is better, I have to agree. It would be just too damn nasty have a troll mage swing around a +3 reach weapons. eek.gif

About the force: Maybe change the damage to STR + (Spell's Force/2) (M). It would still deal Force(M) against spirits, though.
Reaver
QUOTE (Neon Tiger)
QUOTE (Lilt)

About the reach: Your approach is better, I have to agree. It would be just too damn nasty have a troll mage swing around a +3 reach weapons. eek.gif

About the force: Maybe change the damage to STR + (Spell's Force/2) (M). It would still deal Force(M) against spirits, though.

Perhaps have two different versions. One with a +1 reach and one with a +2 reach.
Neon Tiger
Ok, let's try this again:

Force Dagger:

TN: 6
Category: Trans. Manipulation
Range: Touch (or should this be self?)
Drain: +2 (L)

Creates a force field shaped as a dagger (reach 0). Every success after the first adds +1 to power of attack with the dagger, with maximum bonus of half the spell's force. Base damage STR (L). Because of it's magical nature, it can be used against materialized spirits and it ignores the Immunity to Normal Weapons. It deals Force (L) damage on spirits. Character wields the dagger with Edged Weapons skill.

Force Sword:

Drain: +2 (M)

Creates a force field shaped as a sword (reach +1). Every success after the first adds +1 to power of attack with the sword, with maximum bonus of half the spell's force. Base damage STR (M). Because of it's magical nature, it can be used against materialized spirits and it ignores the Immunity to Normal Weapons. It deals Force (M) damage on spirits. Character wields the sword with Edged Weapons skill.

Force Axe:

Drain: +2 (S)

Creates a force field shaped as a battle axe (reach +2). Every success after the first adds +1 to power of attack with the axe, with maximum bonus of half the spell's force. Base damage STR (S). Because of it's magical nature, it can be used against materialized spirits and it ignores the Immunity to Normal Weapons. It deals Force (S) damage on spirits. Character wields the polearm with Polearms skill.

Maybe there should be variant for each spell that deals stun damage instead(drain +1 (L), +1 (M) and +1(S) respectively). And of course, the elemental versions of each would add +2 to power of the attack and have the respective secondary elemental effects.

How about that?

Edit: Changed the spell names. Also, there could be mana versions of each spell, useful for creating an inpromptu "weapon focus" when going astral. Just lower the drain from +2 to +1 and be done with it.

Reaver
QUOTE (Neon Tiger)
Ok, let's try this again:

Magic Dagger:

Drain: +2 (L)

Creates a force field shaped as a dagger (reach 0). Every success after the first adds +1 to power of attack with the dagger, with maximum bonus of half the spell's force. Base damage STR (L). Because of it's magical nature, it can be used against materialized spirits and it ignores the Immunity to Normal Weapons. It deals Force (L) damage on spirits. Character wields the dagger with Edged Weapons skill.

Magic Sword:

Drain: +2 (M)

Creates a force field shaped as a sword (reach +1). Every success after the first adds +1 to power of attack with the sword, with maximum bonus of half the spell's force. Base damage STR (M). Because of it's magical nature, it can be used against materialized spirits and it ignores the Immunity to Normal Weapons. It deals Force (M) damage on spirits. Character wields the sword with Edged Weapons skill.

Magic Polearm(Gee, what a stupid sounding name for a spell):

Drain: +2 (S)

Creates a force field shaped as a polearms (reach +2). Every success after the first adds +1 to power of attack with the polearm, with maximum bonus of half the spell's force. Base damage STR (S). Because of it's magical nature, it can be used against materialized spirits and it ignores the Immunity to Normal Weapons. It deals Force (S) damage on spirits. Character wields the polearm with Polearms skill.

Maybe there should be variant for each spell that deals stun damage instead(drain +1 (L), +1 (M) and +1(S) respectively). And of course, the elemental versions of each would add +2 to power of the attack and have the respective secondary elemental effects.

How about that?

That does look better. smile.gif

You could call them Force Dagger, Force Sword and Force Axe as well... since the spell does create a magical field of force.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012