Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Astral Perception and Binoculars
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Shadow
Can you gain any benefits from looking through binoculars while astrally perceiving? I don't see how. The astral isn't amplified through the optics like light are. So here is what I am asking, not opinions, but canon. Is there any canon reference to this?
Kanada Ten
Not exactly. However, according to a response from info@ about opacity of glass on the astral which paraphrased says "the genral rule is if you can see it on the physical, you can see it on the astral."

And my opinion is: yes, it works.
Jason Farlander
No, you cant. Astral perception is a purely psychic sense. Optical enhancements have no impact on it whatsoever. If anything, the binoculars would restrict what lies in your field of vision, hindering your ability to astrally percieve.

Note that, while the Official Shadowrun FAQ does indicate otherwise, there are no in-book canon references to the fact that you can see through glass on the astral (glass is a physical barrier, afterall, and such things are generally astrally opaque). Since the official FAQ consists of optional rules clarifications, you are free to ignore them (in which case the binoculars would block astral perception altogether)
toturi
QUOTE (Jason Farlander @ Feb 4 2004, 10:25 AM)
No, you cant.  Astral perception is a purely psychic sense.  Optical enhancements have no impact on it whatsoever.  If anything, the binoculars would restrict what lies in your field of vision, hindering your ability to astrally percieve.

Note that, while the Official Shadowrun FAQ does indicate otherwise, there are no in-book canon references to the fact that you can see through glass on the astral (glass is a physical barrier, afterall, and such things are generally astrally opaque). Since the official FAQ consists of optional rules clarifications, you are free to ignore them (in which case the binoculars would block astral perception altogether)

Since there are NO canon references that states the case either way, the definative "suggestion" by the Official FAQ should be the most "canon". Hence yes, the binos should enhance your astral perception. I'll simply rationalise it as the bino being some sort of scrying crystal ball.

As a GM you can conveniently ignore any and all rules(even if it is Canon) if it suit you. But you are going to have a hard time justifying it if the FAQ/Canon says otherwise. smile.gif
Zazen
I also say it works.

If you really wanted to get nitpicky you could always point out that glass should be clear if water is clear since they're both transparent fluids. And I'm halfway sure it says somewhere that water is clear.
Fortune
I have no problem with someone looking through the binoculars with Astral Perception. Whether or not the binoculars actually improve their vision by amplifying what they see is anoter matter entirely.
Snow_Fox
The astral plane is seeing life energy. binoculars work by focusing light, but since that doesn't exist on the astral plane, there is nothing to focus.
toturi
QUOTE (Snow_Fox)
The astral plane is seeing life energy. binoculars work by focusing light, but since that doesn't exist on the astral plane, there is nothing to focus.

But the psychic intent of a pair of optical binos is to enhance the vision/perception of the user.

Look, you can rationalise it either way, but it still doesn't over write the fact that the FAQ say it can ok?
Fortune
QUOTE (toturi)
Look, you can rationalise it either way, but it still doesn't over write the fact that the FAQ say it can ok?

No, the FAQ states that glass is clear on the Astral, so can be seen through. It never states that binoculars amplify vision on the Astral in any way, shape, or form.
danbot37
If optics can be used for los for spells, then why not for astral perception? Related enough that I'd say technically, it would, but it just doesn't sound right... (thats the best arguement I could come up with against it)
Jason Farlander
I'm certainly not ignoring canon rules, and I, personally, do allow people to astrally percieve through glass. As Zazen points out, there is a specific canon reference to your ability to astrally percieve through water without problem (except for stuff living in the water or background count from pollution), and glass is technically a clear liquid, so it does make sense. Clear plastic, not being a liquid, is another issue altogether... but I'll even ignore that for the sake of simplicity.

However.

There are problems with the blanket statements made in the FAQ, which is why I treat them as helpful suggestions rather than canon rules. For example, should you be able to astrally percieve through a piece of colored glass? Do different levels of tinted glass affect astral perception? Some darkened glass is impossible to see through physically... but why should physical alterations to glass that do not significantly affect its chemical makeup have any effect on astral perception?

Furthermore, optics and light bending have nothing to do whatsoever with astral perception. Blindness has no effect on astral perception. Should a blind person be able to look through binoculars and more clearly astrally percieve? If a person with 20/20 vision looks through binoculars in a large room with no light whatsoever, will they amplify what the astral aura of a person on the other end?

Having binoculars amplify astral perception is just silly, because astral perception is in no way based on physical vision. Since you can see through the binoculars, you can astrally percieve things on the other side, sure. But I'll say it again... astral perception has NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with the way light behaves, so the fact that the glass in binoculars is curved rather than straight should have no effect on your ability to astrally percieve something. Furthermore, the sides of the binoculars are not glass, and are neither physically nor astrally transparent, so sticking binoculars up to your eyes will restrict what you can see astrally in your immediate vicinity, just as they do when you arent astrally percieving.

Edit: woah... lots of posts in the interim there....
toturi
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (toturi @ Feb 4 2004, 02:46 PM)

No, the FAQ states that glass is clear on the Astral, so can be seen through. It never states that binoculars amplify vision on the Astral in any way, shape, or form.

OK, I meant casting through Binos while astral perceiving. IE the guy is astrally perceiving(he is not projecting), he spots the dual critter on the binos, he fires off a spell. His vision is still enhanced via the binos, he can still cast through the binos, so it "enhances" the vision of the caster.
Fortune
QUOTE (toturi)
OK, I meant casting through Binos while astral perceiving. IE the guy is astrally perceiving(he is not projecting), he spots the dual critter on the binos, he fires off a spell. His vision is still enhanced via the binos, he can still cast through the binos, so it "enhances" the vision of the caster.

That is assuming that the binoculars actually enhance Astral sight. I readily admit that binoculars can help with regular spellcasting, but have a problem with them enhancing vision while Astrally Perceiving. As Jason states, Astral Perception is not based on sight whatsoever, so by extension vision augmentation should not work. Does Thermographic Vision work while Perceiving? How about Ultrasound? Low Light? Vision Magnification? Microscopic Vision?
Deep Blue
If you really wanted to get nitpicky you could always point out that glass should be clear if water is clear since they're both transparent fluids. And I'm halfway sure it says somewhere that water is clear.

I suppose I should point out that glass is not really a liquid. At all. It's not even a supercooled liquid (a common misnomer).

check out http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Gene...lass/glass.html

Jason Farlander
Interesting... I guess I just *learned* that somewhere along the line from someone I percieved to be an authority on the subject, and I never had any real personal reason to question it. Heres an excerpt taken from the Wikipedia article on glass that is somewhat less technical in its explanation.

Does glass flow?
It is sometimes claimed that glass may show some of the properties of liquids that flow at room temperature, albeit very slowly. This has led to controversial statements such as the claim that "glass is a supercooled liquid". It is sometimes claimed that old windows are often thicker at the bottom than at the top, and that this might be due to flow. It is a bit unclear where this belief came from, or if there was ever any evidence to support it.

One possible source of this belief is that when panes of glass were commonly made by glassblowers, the technique that was used was to spin molten glass so as to create a round, mostly flat and even plate (the Crown glass process, described above). This plate was then cut to fit a window. The pieces were not, however, absolutely flat; the edges of the disk would be thicker due to centrifugal forces. When actually installed in a window frame, the glass would be placed thicker side down for the sake of stability. There is anecdotal evidence that occasionally such glass has been found thinner side down, as would be caused by carelessness at the time of installation.

The "glass flows" issue has been discussed at great length in the alt.folklore.urban newsgroup, and the consensus there (supported by citations from glass experts) is that glass does not flow at room temperature. Note, however, that glass can and does 'creep' , just like crystalline solids do, in response to a load. Furthermore, in some applications (such as some laboratory thermometers), glass gets heated above the transition temperature at which it actually does become a supercooled liquid. This can cause the calibration of thermometers to change slightly over the course of many years of use.

Arguments against glass flow:
if medieval glass has flowed perceptibly, then ancient Roman and Egyptian objects should have flowed proportionately more - but this is not observed.
if glass flows at a rate that allows changes to be seen with the naked eye after centuries, then changes in optical telescope mirrors should be observable (by interferometry) in a matter of days - but this also is not observed.
Zazen
You'll note that I said fluid, not liquid, because there are a lot of different names for what glass is. Whether it flows or not is a different question.

Your link tries hard to dispel the notion of flowing glass, but is unable to do so with certainty. It admits that the phenomena is observed but claims that it is more easily explained with other theories. That is an opinion.

I'm certainly not saying that I'm definitely right, but that link isn't enough for me to consider myself definitely wrong.
toturi
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (toturi @ Feb 4 2004, 02:59 PM)

That is assuming that the binoculars actually enhance Astral sight. I readily admit that binoculars can help with regular spellcasting, but have a problem with them enhancing vision while Astrally Perceiving. As Jason states, Astral Perception is not based on sight whatsoever, so by extension vision augmentation should not work. Does Thermographic Vision work while Perceiving? How about Ultrasound? Low Light? Vision Magnification? Microscopic Vision?

Did you go blind when you astrally perceive?

If not, why not? You can see the target via vision enhancement. You can tell if it is astrally active via astral perception. QED.
Jason Farlander

In a manner of speaking, yes. At least, thats always been my assumption. You shift your vision into the astral plane, and no longer percieve the physical world with your eyes, except as shadows and auras on the astral plane. Hence the stuff about distraction and +2 TN mods to purely physical tests and so on. I've never heard anyone argue that you see the astral auras and things superimposed on what you physically see...

Note that shapeshifters, which are dual-natured, still have to use a simple action (not free) to astrally percieve. (SRC, pg 36). Since theyre always astrally active anyway, it would be silly to ever turn off astral perception if it overlapped with physical sight.

Looking through the books, I don't see any absolutely clear statements indicating one way or the other. The only thing that comes close is the statement that "astral perception does not rely on physical vision in any way; it is a psychic sense." (SR3 171), but even that doesn't mention whether the two are mutually exclusive. Perhaps this should be erratad or FAQed?
Fortune
QUOTE (toturi)

If not, why not? You can see the target via vision enhancement. You can tell if it is astrally active via astral perception. QED.

Alright! So my blind mage (who can still use Astral Perception just fine) can now use binoculars while Perceiving to better his LOS. Excellent!

This must be true, since Astral Perception is not based on vision, yet you claim that vision augmentation aids Astral Perception. QED. smile.gif
toturi
QUOTE (Fortune @ Feb 4 2004, 01:53 PM)
QUOTE (toturi)

Alright! So my blind mage (who can still use Astral Perception just fine) can now use binoculars while Perceiving to better his LOS. Excellent!

This must be true, since Astral Perception is not based on vision, yet you claim that vision augmentation aids Astral Perception. QED. smile.gif

Your Blind mage can't see normally in the first place. He can't even use binos.

QED. He can't use binos in conjunction with his Astral Perception.

It "aids" astral perception if you can use the binos in the first place.

Also about being effectively Blind if you use astral perception, shouldn't you impose a Blind modifier before applying the mods for astral in the first place? Wouldn't this have been covered in the examples in SR3 Magic or Combat sections if this was the case?

QED. Astral perception could be used in conjunction with natural sight.

Also Astral perception doesn't actually have range modifiers, therefore you have no need for astral binos, they are free so to speak. As long as you have astral LOS, you can see it no matter how far. Therefore I don't understand this thing about needing binos to cast in the first place.
John Campbell
I know that you can use those fiberoptic security system thingies (I forget the name) for spell targetting... can you astrally perceive through them as well?
Jason Farlander
Also about being effectively Blind if you use astral perception, shouldn't you impose a Blind modifier before applying the mods for astral in the first place? Wouldn't this have been covered in the examples in SR3 Magic or Combat sections if this was the case?

Umm... no. Note that ghouls, which are effectively blind, suffer no such blind fire penalties. You can see both living and purely physical things when astrally percieving or astrally projecting, and so, while you are effectively blind insofar as you are not physically seeing anything, you can still sense (astrally see) the presence of things and how far away those things are. This is also why mundane characters get a -6 flaw for being blind, while awakened characters only get a -2. Astral perception replaces all visibility modifiers to combat with a flat +2 TN. Its a snazztastic ability. (It does, however, also preclude any vision modifications, making the base TN for any ranged attack 6)

Page 82, MITS: "the light level on the physical plane has no effect on astral visibility"

And no, SR3 is actually rather bad about failing to include examples of common occurrences, IMO.
Fortune
QUOTE (toturi)
It "aids" astral perception if you can use the binos in the first place.

How, being that Astral Perception is not based on sight?

No because, as is stated in canon, Astral Perception is not based on sight.
Also Astral perception doesn't actually have range modifiers, therefore you have no need for astral binos, they are free so to speak. As long as you have astral LOS, you can see it no matter how far. Therefore I don't understand this thing about needing binos to cast in the first place.

The question didn't come about because of the need to cast a spell. It initially came about because a player wanted to Astrally Perceive while using binoculars for some (non-spellcasting) reason. Otherwise I agree with you that there is no real point. smile.gif
Jason Farlander
QUOTE (John Campbell)
I know that you can use those fiberoptic security system thingies (I forget the name) for spell targetting... can you astrally perceive through them as well?

The answer to this question depends on whether you think you can astrally and physically percieve at the same time. The terminology used to describe astral perception is unclear in this regard (the combat section describes astral perception as a "shift" of vision into the astral, while the magic section describes it as an "extension" of senses into the astral).

toturi is arguing from the standpoint that astral perception is a modification to physical perception, whereas I (and, I presume, Fortune) are arguing from the standpoint that astral perception is completely seperate from physical perception.
toturi
QUOTE (Jason Farlander @ Feb 4 2004, 02:29 PM)
QUOTE (John Campbell @ Feb 4 2004, 12:24 AM)

The answer to this question depends on whether you think you can astrally and physically percieve at the same time. The terminology used to describe astral perception is unclear in this regard (the combat section describes astral perception as a "shift" of vision into the astral, while the magic section describes it as an "extension" of senses into the astral).

toturi is arguing from the standpoint that astral perception is a modification to physical perception, whereas I (and, I presume, Fortune) are arguing from the standpoint that astral perception is completely seperate from physical perception.

No. Actually I'm arguing that it doesn't matter what you use to enhance your physical sight, your astral perception doesn't have a range limit. As long as you have "astral LOS" to the target, you can cast/shoot/fire a cannon at it using astral perception.

With respect to the fibreoptic system, I think that while you have physical LOS(thus you can cast at a physical form) you do not have astral LOS hence no casting at astral.

The telescope/bino comes in when you have a sniper trying to shoot at someone. He might have only an SMG(but no scope for any reason, too many attachments maybe) and a pair of binos. He spots the unfortunate guy with the bino, astrally perceives to reduce the range TN, brings up his SMG and fires away.
Fortune
QUOTE (toturi)
No. Actually I'm arguing that it doesn't matter what you use to enhance your physical sight, your astral perception doesn't have a range limit. As long as you have "astral LOS" to the target, you can cast/shoot/fire a cannon at it using astral perception.

I don't believe anyone is disputing that. There is no actual 'range limit' on normal sight either (barring the horizon). The dispute is whether a person can augment their Astral Perception with visual enhancements (whether necessary or not).
With respect to the fibreoptic system, I think that while you have physical LOS(thus you can cast at a physical form) you do not have astral LOS hence no casting at astral.

That is my take on it as well. smile.gif
toturi
What I meant was that there's a limit to which you can make out details physically. That was what I meant by range limit.

No so for astral perception. There is no limit as long as you have astral LOS.

So a guy doing discrete surveillance can look at his target in a crowded stadium with a bino and tell his moods, feelings, etc by using astral perception.
Lilt
If you accept the FAQ ruling then you can see through binoculars on the astral. Why?
The basic rule of thumb is this: if you can see through it in the physical world, then you can see through it on the astral plane.
(emphasis mine)

IE:
Can you see through binoculars on the astral?
becomes
Can you see through binoculars on the physical?

Wether you get a bonus, lowering of TNs or something, is still another matter.
Prototype
Howdy y'all, I'm here to save the day.

Fundamentally, all physical objects in the astral plane appear the way they do in the real world except that they are rendered in 'uniform grey' (Pg.82 MitS) which makes them difficult to pick out.

It is also stated (Pg.82 MitS) that 'semi-opaque things like water, fog, smoke, or fire can limit visibility' whilst on the astral.

I think it's fair to say that physical objects on the astral have the same 'transparency' settings as their real world counterparts... so if that glass is totally transparent then it will be so on the astral, if it's slightly tinted, then it will be so on the astral.

Now, moving on... 'astral perception does not rely on physical vision in any way; it is a psychic sense.' (Pg.171 SRIII) To me this makes it patently obvious that whilst you 'see' the astral plane, as it is entirely psychic there is no light or optical effects involved.

So, moving onto our binocular question, the only logical answer that can be supplied using canon material is that they WOULD NOT affect astral sight.

You would be able to see through the lenses in astral space as they are transparent, but those lenses would have no effect on how you percieved what lay beyond them as you are not 'seeing' via the optical medium that they would improve.
toturi
But the binos would enable you to pin point where someone is, so if you are assensing for someone is a crowd, it would be easier since you already found his physical position.
Jason Farlander
toturi:

Before I discuss this issue any further with you, I would like to make sure that I understand your stance correctly. Please, correct me if I am wrong on anything I say regarding your stance on how astral perception works, and fill in any detail that I have left out. (note: I am certainly not summarizing my own view, rather, I am attempting to summarize toturi's)

-When you use astral perception to look at someone someone, you are simultaneously viewing that person with your natural vision and your astal sense.

-Astral perception overlays a person's aura over their physical appearance

-While astrally percieving, distance has no effect on your ability to notice detail

-If you were looking through binoculars at someone and thn decided to astrally percieve, you would still be physically viewing the person through the binoculars.

-The fact that you are still using physical vision to view the person, combined with the fact that physical distance in the astral has no impact on your ability to detect detail, means that you would thus be able to see a magnified version of the person's aura in the binoculars (because the vision enhancement isnt actually enhancing your astral perception, which is already perfect, its just helping to single out a target)

One point of contention I *can* make now, though, concerns this statement:

QUOTE (toturi)
. He spots the unfortunate guy with the bino, astrally perceives to reduce the range TN, brings up his SMG and fires away.

Astral perception does indeed get rid of visibility penalties, but it certainly does *not* eliminate range penalties. Range penalties are not based on your ability to see a target nearly as much as the fact that slight errors in your aim become magnified over great distances. Just because you can assense an aura at any distance without any increase in difficulty (assuming youre assensing a single target standing alone on an open plain) does not mean that you can shoot that same target just as easily as if he or she were 4 feet away.
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (toturi)
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Feb 4 2004, 11:43 AM)

But the psychic intent of a pair of optical binos is to enhance the vision/perception of the user.

Binoculars are not living, they do not have intent any more than your cereal bowl has intent to hold chereos.
Dax
The only way I could see binoculars helping on the astral plane would be if the bincoulars themselves were an astral construct, as was covered in Target: Awakend Lands.

Of course, the chance of finding an astral construct that happend to be shaped like a pair of binoculars would be abou the same as a snow ball surviving in hell.
Rev
I once tried to do a glass flowing experiment, and in the end I had no evidence that glass flows at room temperature.

What I did is took a very thin (0.1mm) 2cm long glass microscope slide coverslip and anchored it in some clay. Then with another piece of clay I attatched a fairly heavy chunk of lead (any heavier and the coverslip would break) to the end of it causing the coverslip to deflect by about 1mm. I reasoned that if glass can flow down a pane just under gravity enough to be noticable in a hundered years that this very thin coverslip should surely bend under 1000x the force within a few weeks. I put this thing on the shelf for three months or so. At the end of these months I removed the weight and the coverslip sprang right back becoming, to my ability to observe, perfectly flat again. This left me thinking that the whole glass flowing thing is a myth.

Hmm I should try this again for a few years.

PS: I think optics should not work in astral space except at the base level that what is transparent stays transparent.
Nikoli
Well folks, it may be time to go back to 1st Ed. for this one.
While I don't have the book in front of me, it stated something along the lines of that vision enhancements such as goggles with thermo, night vision or vision magnification would not allow you to gain LOS on a target in the dark, HOWEVER if you had those same enhancements through cyberware, which is bonded to your very being through the payment of essence, these can be used to gain LOS. I also refer you to the fibre-optic system in 3rd ed (I forget the book) that allows you, as a mage, to cast spells to different parts of the building. This works because there is a cybernetic implant in the mage that allows them to use the fibre-optic cable.

This tells me that binocs do nothing for magic.
nezumi
The question isn't whether you can cast a spell through these apparati, but whether you can astrally perceive through them. You can't cast a spell through electronic binoculars, as you don't have LOS through anything electronic you haven't paid essence for.

Apparently my game flies in the face of everything anyone else does, but I'll put it down anyways...

Astral sense is a psychic sense, not visual. But there's nothing to indicate the user cannot see the physical when he is perceiving as well. So I'd say that astral space is projected on top of what he'd see normally (barring binoculars and the like). I'd also say that he could NOT see through glass, or anything solid. This is probably not canon, but it doesn't make a lot of sense that how visible light interacts with something has any bearing whatsoever on how psychic emanations interact with it. So if it's solid, it's opaque. Which means, in my game, if you put binoculars up to your eyes, you're simply getting the "black" of 'there is a wall here in the astral' overlaid over whatever you'd see through the binoculars with normal vision. I'd also argue that you'd effectively have 20/a billion vision (hope I got those in the right order, you can see anything at any range) in regards to noticing astral details on anything without binoculars. It's psychic, so you can "focus" on anything you have LOS on for the purpose of magic/psychic stuff (spell casting and aura reading). Physical actions still rely on the physical vision, unfortunately for you, both because of what was said earlier. So having a scope on your gun doesn't help the blind mage, but for astral reconn, he doesn't need it anyway. As I said though, this is just in my game.
Shadow
Ok here is what I decided. No.

You cannot use binocs to enhance your astral perception. It's crazy talk!

Astral perception is not overlayed your normal vision. If this were true you could read a book or a sign, which you can't do. Switching to Astral turns of your normal (light based) vision and turns on you astral vision.

And there is a rang limit on AStral perception, the same there is for normal vision, the horizon.

Fortune
QUOTE (Shadow)
Ok here is what I decided. No... [snippage]

Sounds about right to me. smile.gif
toturi
QUOTE (Shadow)
Ok here is what I decided. No.

You cannot use binocs to enhance your astral perception. It's crazy talk!

Astral perception is not overlayed your normal vision. If this were true you could read a book or a sign, which you can't do. Switching to Astral turns of your normal (light based) vision and turns on you astral vision.

And there is a rang limit on AStral perception, the same there is for normal vision, the horizon.

Binos do not directly enhance astral perception. Agreed.

Astral perception is not overlayed over normal vision. Disagree. No Canon sources agreeing with or disproving this notion. Only Canon rule with any bearing is the +2 TN for any purely mundane action. If normal vision was shut off, driving would be HAZARDOUS. Blind vision modifiers would need be imposed.

Range limit is horizon. Agreed, but where is the horizon? The horizon is significantly further if you are up on Mt Everest. For me, range is limited by astral LOS, ie you can assense something on the moon if you can physically see it.
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (toturi @ Feb 4 2004, 09:28 PM)
If normal vision was shut off, driving would be HAZARDOUS.

*searches for large blunt object*
How often are people going to ignore the fact that purely mundane objects are still visible from the astral?

The only aspect of driving that would cause trouble when astrally perceiving is that colors all appear as shades of grey. Light and dark are clearly discernable (there is a quote likening light to water) so you can tell which light at an intersection is currently lit. Sped limit signs might be read as "not as fast" or "speed up you slug," but the exact number will be lost.
toturi
Purely mundane objects may be visible on the astral but you are still driving Blind. So if you happen to be driving in an area with heavy background count, you are SOOO blind even if your physical eyes can ok?

If astral perception is a purely psychic sense and you lose the sense of sight if you turn it on, why can't you lose you sense of taste or hearing or touch? Why must it be sight? Does it mean that if someone flashbangs you physically when you are astrally perceiving you are ok? Even if your eyes are actually seeing stars?
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (toturi)
If astral perception is a purely psychic sense and you lose the sense of sight if you turn it on, why can't you lose you sense of taste or hearing or touch? Why must it be sight?
Sight is the primary sense in humans. The optic nerve carries data much faster than any other sensory conduit in humans. Vision also has the most advanced nerve bundle for any human sense. It is how you understand the world, so it is what your psychic sense mimics. Awakened cave fish would find a sort of astral smell as their sense.
Does it mean that if someone flashbangs you physically when you are astrally perceiving you are ok?
Since you don't get a glare penalty when you are blind by any other means.

A heavy background count is trouble to awakened drivers whether they are astrally percieving or not. An astrally percieving driver would see that the background count is ahead, and be able to avoid it (if conditions permit). Much the same way you can avoid other hostile driving conditions if you see them first.
toturi
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
QUOTE (toturi)
If astral perception is a purely psychic sense and you lose the sense of sight if you turn it on, why can't you lose you sense of taste or hearing or touch? Why must it be sight?
Sight is the primary sense in humans. The optic nerve carries data much faster than any other sensory conduit in humans. Vision also has the most advanced nerve bundle for any human sense. It is how you understand the world, so it is what your psychic sense mimics. Awakened cave fish would find a sort of astral smell as their sense.
Does it mean that if someone flashbangs you physically when you are astrally perceiving you are ok?
Since you don't get a glare penalty when you are blind by any other means.

A heavy background count is trouble to awakened drivers whether they are astrally percieving or not. An astrally percieving driver would see that the background count is ahead, and be able to avoid it (if conditions permit). Much the same way you can avoid other hostile driving conditions if you see them first.

Negative, astral perception has been also been described as taste and smell as well.

It is a purely psychic sense, it does not make use of your physical eyes. So why would you be blind? or deaf? A blind man should be deaf or have no feeling when he turns on his astral perception since hearing or touch is now his "main" sense.

Nothing, absolutely nothing in the rules say that astral perception overrides a physical sense. Which make sense since AP is a purely psychic one.
mfb
the thing is, binocular lenses twist light. if you hold a pair of binoculars a foot away from your face, you're not going to be able to see through the lenses. those lenses are, technically speaking, transparent--they don't hinder the amount of light that passes through them; they just twist it around in funny ways.

so, the question is, could you see through the lenses of a pair of binocs held a foot away from your face, using astral perception? if the answer is no, then binoculars do enhance astral perception. if the answer is yes, then they do not. i don't see how the answer could be 'yes', since the basic rule is that if you can see through it on the physical, you can see through it on the astral. ergo, the answer--to me--must be that lenses work on astral perception the same way they do physical perception.
Fortune
No-one is disputing whether the lenses can be seen through. That is pretty much a given. Whether the lenses actually enhance one's perception on the Astral is another matter entirely.
Jason Farlander
I wipe my hands of this debate. I believe everything worth saying has already been said, and, in general, people seem to largely ignore what I have to say anyway.

To everyone: its your game, do as thou wilt.
Artemis
It always occured to me that when a person split percieved the world around them, it was something similar to natural thermographic vision. Suddenly the people around you expand into glowing auras and the colors and movements within their auras speak more than any tell-tales in the normal universe. But if someone ignites a flashbang in front of you, it still blinds you because you are half way between being fully astral and fully physical. Your physical senses are still able to take damage and distract you from the astral world. Likewise the astral world can easily distract you from the physical world under the right conditions.

The distractions are certainly enough to make driving a car much more hazardous than performing massage therapy on a living subject. (+2 to all target numbers for tasks in the physical world.) Which brings up an interesting point... phsyco-therapy and physical therapy related skills would suffer the least from split percieving individuals. They both concern working directly with a living subject and reacting to their pains, pleasures and relief. All things that seeing someone's aura could make even easier for a professional than a doctor without the ability. Just a fun little thought.

But the only way that driving wouldn't have such high penalties would be if you were driving across open grassy plains... and every obstacle you had to drive around was covered in mold or bacteria. Yes, you can see the world as it is... but without living things around to act as beacons of light in an otherwise dark universe, you're staring off into walls and roads that are as void of life as driving at night without headlights. Possible, but as mentioned before... hazardous.

Granted, it's all a matter of perception. But that's the way I've come to understand the astral, and I'm sure a few other people see it the same way.

Actually, I thik Jason's made some good points in this debate. Glass is typically a tough material to give traits to on the astral plane. Reflective glass seems to serve well when you want to cast off the surface of a mirror, and it also protects drivers and passengers within mirror windowed vehicles. The way my group has treated it is thus: you aren't percieving light, so lenses cannot refract, distort, or improve a person's perception. However, glass itself remains somewhat invisible, but with reflective properties.
Herald of Verjigorm
That is a supported possible viewing method. I was basing my post on the canon ruling that mundane ojects can be seen as grayscale from the astral, so you don't typically need physical sight except to read. If you aren't using your meat eyes, they will probably be closed and you will be ignoring anything you see on your eyelids.

Indeed, if you want to read while percieving, a flashbang will be just as annoying. I've only had dual natured characters try to use both sets of senses at once.
Artemis
Interesting. Typically our players rarely will close their meat eyes while astrally percieving, prefering to have senses in both planes at once to maximize their perception of reality. Of course, when someone calls “Light's out!” most eyes go shut and hands go over the face.

How I've heard it described, split percieving is the most twisted version of astral perception because of this: you see the astral plane, but still as if through your eyes and face. Even if your eyes are removed, you still see the astral as if you still had them. Likewise, when a hand covers your face... you are blinded by the presence of the aura your very own hands produce.

Whether eye lids produce the same effect as your hands, I can't say. I would venture a guess that they do not, since the perspective seems to come from there, but it still doesn't rely on whether you have eyes or not. I suppose that's more of an individual group or GM's take on the physics and realities of their Shadowrun universe.
mfb
fortune, i am debating whether or not the lenses can be seen through in certain circumstances. sure, when you hold a pair of binoculars close to your eyes, you can see through them easily--but when you hold them further away, you can't see through them, because the lenses distort your view too much. if you hold to the rule of thumb of 'what you can see through in the meat, you can see through with astral perception', then you you can't astrally percieve through the lenses of your binoculars if you're not holding them up to your eyes--because you couldn't see through those lenses with your meat eyes.

that line of reasoning supports the idea that binoculars also magnify astral perception. since the lenses distort astral perception when you're not using them correctly, it stands to reason that they'd enhance it when you do.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012