Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ultrasound
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Karoline
So, an argument has brought up a question I hadn't even really thought was something at issue before:
Can a mage use ultrasound to target a spell?

Now, obviously I'm talking about the implanted headware version, as the contact lens version obviously doesn't work.

Here is the relevant quote for those who don't feel like trawling through their book:
QUOTE (SR4A p.183)
A metahuman spellcaster can target anyone or anything
she can see directly with her natural vision. Physical cyber- or bio-
enhancements paid for with Essence can be used to spot targets, but any
technological visual aids that substitude themselves for the charac-
ter's own visual senses - cameras, electronic binoculars, Matrix feeds,
etc. - cannot be used.

Now, this seems fairly clear to me. If it is an enhancement and it has been paid for with essence, then you can target someone with that enhancement. This line seems very purposefully included to allow the use of cybereyes by mages.

Apparently though, the problem for some people comes from the second half of the sentence that says ", but any technological visual aids that substitute themselves for the character's own [vision]....". Some people seem to think that specifically excludes ultrasound from being included in the 'enhancements paid for with essence' part that can be used to target for spells. I figure however, that if anything that is a 'technological visual aid that substitutes itself for the characters vision' can't be used to target spells (Despite paying for it with essence) then a cybereye would fall very directly into this category. It is quite obviously a piece of technology that aids in your vision. A camera is even specifically pointed out as being one of those technological visual aid things, and a cybereye isn't much more than a fancy camera that goes in your eye socket.

Edit: (stupid enter button)
So, if you're one of those people who answers no to the poll above, can you please explain to me in what way a cybereye would qualify to allow someone to target spells and ultrasound would not, given that they are both vision enhancing technological devices paid for with essence and the only real difference between the two is that one uses light to function and the other uses sound.
hahnsoo
You forgot to mention the ultrasound headware (not eyeware or visionware) quote (SR4A p339):
"Ultrasound Sensor: This is an implanted version of the ultrasound sensor (p.333). "

Hrm. That doesn't say much. Let's see what p 333 says (SR4A p 333):
Ultrasound: "The ultrasound accessory consists of an emitter that sends out continuous ultrasonic pulses and a receiver that picks up the echoes of these pulses to create a topographic ultrasound “map” that is laid over (or replaces) the user’s normal visual sensory input. While ultrasound vision is perfect to “see” textures, calculate exact distances, and pick up things otherwise invisible to the naked eye (like people cloaked by an Invisibility spell), it is less adept at other tasks like perceiving colors and brightness. It cannot penetrate materials like glass that would be transparent to optical sensors.
The ultrasound sensor can be set to a passive mode, in which it does not emit ultrasonic pulses but still picks up ultrasound from outside sources (such as motion sensors or someone else’s ultrasound sensors on active mode)."

At issue is whether or not it constitutes a brand new sense that counts as a visual sense for the purposes of spell targeting (in other words, natural vision). The wording is a bit vague and doesn't clarify whether they mean:
1) You can use natural vision OR you can use Essence enhancements.
2) You can use natural vision AND this natural vision can be modified by Essence enhancements.

The fluff reason behind all of this brou-ha-ha is that you cannot cast a spell if you can't connect with its aura, and electronic images do not convey an aura (technically, by astral perception, you don't see anything but a greyish mush on the screen/visual field/etc.). The fluff says that you cannot use an electronic image just like you can't use a picture or photo to cast a spell (sympathetic magic aside, which works on a different principle for targeting).

The only way you can perceive the new information given to you by ultrasound is not a vision enhancement, it's an electronic overlay. If the gear itself says "This headware allows you to use Ultrasound just like natural vision in every way." then I'd probably have less problems with it. Instead, there's a poor one-sentence reference to a description clearly intended for a device that isn't cybernetic in any way at all.

EDIT: By the way, I commend Karoline for moving this to a brand new thread. *applause*

EDIT 2: Also, I'm not sure if the scope of this argument is 4th edition only, but from 3rd edition Shadowrun (Man and Machine, p 18):
"ULTRASOUND VISION
Ultrasound vision systems have three components: an emitter, a receiver, and a processor. The emitter device installed in one eye sends out continuous ultrasonic pulses, sweeping forward from side to side. The receiver installed in the other eye (creating a necessary angle of deflection) receives the echoes of these pulses and converts them to electrical signals, which are fed to the processor. The processor (also built into the eyes) builds a topographic image from these signals, showing depth, forms, and texture as depicted by the echoes.

When activated, the ultrasound "map" overlays the user's vision (in much the same way that thermographic vision overlays natural sight; see p. 49). Shapes and forms are outlined and textured, allowing the user to distinguish objects that other vision systems can't detect.

GAME EFFECTS
Ultrasound vision reduces visibility modifiers (p 232, SR3) by half (round up). If installed with high-frequency hearing modification, reduce the ultrasound vision cost and Essence Cost by 20 percent.

Because this system builds images from sound and transforms them into visual input, indirect illusion spells that affect sight do not affect this system. For example, a character cloaked by an invisibility spell would be visible to a character with ultrasound vision as an outline and faintly textured image. However, because the character is not being viewed directly, they cannot by targeted with magic. Modify by +4 the target numbers for any other actions directed at the characters "visible" only through ultrasound.

Indirect illusion spells that affect sound will affect ultrasound vision, however. The silence spell affect ultrasound sight in the same way that invisibility affects normal vision. Characters cloaked using a silence spell do not show up as ultrasound images, and may not be located by an empty space in the ultrasound map image.

White noise also affects ultrasound vision. Add a number equal to the rating of the white noise generator to the target numbers of any actions performed using ultrasound vision.

Cybernetic ultrasound sight is affected by mana-based indirect illusion spells (in addition to physical spells), because it has been purchased with Essence."

Wow, it's more detailed and confusing! *grin*
McCummhail
A cyber-eye replaces your eye and as it is paid for with essence acts physically and spiritually like your eye.
Ultrasound overlays (or replaces) "natural vision".
It acts like a feed augmenting what you see. It is not your "natural vision".

Unfortunately, this will still boil down to semantics and opinion.
Dahrken
I voted "no".

This could be justified by the fact that the ultrasound, like the radar, is not in the eye itself, but is a technological sensor implanted someplace else in your body feeding it's information through an image link where a cybereye or eye mod, while similar, replace/improve an already existing sense and is more directly connected to the optical nerves of the user.

But honestly I feel this is more a game balance perspective (same as radar) than from a logical analysis.
Karoline
(or replaces) the user’s normal visual sensory input.

That seems to indicate that ultrasound can be used as 'normal vision' and not exclusively as an electronic overly. It can in other words be taken to your brain in the exact same manor as cybereyes take the vision they provide to your name.

1) You can use natural vision OR you can use Essence enhancements.
2) You can use natural vision AND this natural vision can be modified by Essence enhancements.

That's a good way of putting it. If 1. is correct (Which I think is the way to read it) then ultrasound seems to be on the menu for targeting spells. However if 2. is correct, then I don't know that cybereyes would qualify as natural vision. Cybereyes are after all cameras and thus hardly natrual.

The fluff reason behind all of this brou-ha-ha is that you cannot cast a spell if you can't connect with its aura, and electronic images do not convey an aura (technically, by astral perception, you don't see anything but a greyish mush on the screen/visual field/etc.). The fluff says that you cannot use an electronic image just like you can't use a picture or photo to cast a spell (sympathetic magic aside, which works on a different principle for targeting).
Agreed. The fluff is entirely a connection to the aura. The reason that the electronic images provided by a cybereye work (I don't think anyone can really argue that cybereyes use electronics to create their images) is because it is paid for with essence and thus connected to your aura. An ultrasound implant would very similarly use electronics to create an image (The only difference being that it uses information based on sound, not light to create this image) and pass it directly to the brain (as vision that replaces your natural vision, exactly like cybereyes do, as you're natural vision is gone when you have cybereyes because your natural eyes are gone). And since it is also paid for with essence, it should, in all theory, provide the exact same link that the cybereyes provide.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Karoline @ Jan 9 2010, 03:15 AM) *
That seems to indicate that ultrasound can be used as 'normal vision' and not exclusively as an electronic overly. It can in other words be taken to your brain in the exact same manor as cybereyes take the vision they provide to your name.
Or it can indicate that you can ONLY see the overlay and not your natural vision, if you choose. There's no way of knowing from that sentence.

QUOTE (Karoline @ Jan 9 2010, 03:15 AM) *
Cybereyes are after all cameras and thus hardly natrual.
Actually, we have no idea of knowing this. They could be an artificial retina, which connects to the natural optic nerve in the same way a normal retina does. They include an image link and eye-recording unit for free, but I don't think that the rules specifically state that "Cybereyes are cameras and nothing else."

Agreed. The fluff is entirely a connection to the aura. The reason that the electronic images provided by a cybereye work (I don't think anyone can really argue that cybereyes use electronics to create their images) is because it is paid for with essence and thus connected to your aura. An ultrasound implant would very similarly use electronics to create an image (The only difference being that it uses information based on sound, not light to create this image) and pass it directly to the brain (as vision that replaces your natural vision, exactly like cybereyes do, as you're natural vision is gone when you have cybereyes because your natural eyes are gone). And since it is also paid for with essence, it should, in all theory, provide the exact same link that the cybereyes provide.
This is your extrapolation on my statement, but I would like to state that I don't support this explanation, and in no way does my statement explore this possibility. Cybereyes can also work (note: I'm not saying this is the way cybereyes work) because they are a direct neural feed to the brain that works the same way as a retina, without replacing the optic nerve. It would work the same way that replacing your eyes with a bioware enhancement, only with an electronic interface instead of a biological one. Perhaps a mage can see an aura reflected on a target at the moment of spellcasting specifically through vision because they have mentally trained to do so. *shrugs*

There's no "inner eye" in cybereyes to look at the electronic image and deduce an aura from that information. There's also no indication that what a person sees as a mage is an electronic image, in the same manner as looking at a computer screen and seeing nothing on the astral plane. Maybe they have "special" cybereyes for Awakened that still allow them to spellcast, and we aren't given that fluff because it's totally assumed.
Karoline
QUOTE (Dahrken @ Jan 9 2010, 02:05 AM) *
I voted "no".

This could be justified by the fact that the ultrasound, like the radar, is not in the eye itself, but is a technological sensor implanted someplace else in your body feeding it's information through an image link where a cybereye or eye mod, while similar, replace/improve an already existing sense and is more directly connected to the optical nerves of the user.

But honestly I feel this is more a game balance perspective (same as radar) than from a logical analysis.

An implanted ultrasound wouldn't use an image link (or at least wouldn't have to) as it would have direct access to your brain just like cybereyes do. If you wanted to, you could even have the image the ultrasound provides passed directly through the optic nerves if that would make any kind of difference.

I don't see ultrasound being much of a balance issue. It has basically the same range as normal vision, and basically always provides a vision penalty (Which translates directly into a penalty to your spellcasting test) and can't generally see any more than cybereyes can. The biggest advantage it would provide would be the same as mundanes get from it in that invisibility doesn't work on it.

Now radar I can agree as being a balance issue due to the massive ranges at which it could operate, but I'm more focused purely on ultrasound here.
Karoline
QUOTE (hahnsoo @ Jan 9 2010, 02:17 AM) *
Actually, we have no idea of knowing this. They could be an artificial retina, which connects to the natural optic nerve in the same way a normal retina does. They include an image link and eye-recording unit for free, but I don't think that the rules specifically state that "Cybereyes are cameras and nothing else."

Hmm, that is something to think about. If a cybereye is basically just a new lens and not a replacement of the actual eye then it would make somewhat more sense in allowing it and not ultrasound, though the essence cost seems oddly high if you are only replacing a small fraction of the eye. Also, though hardly RAW of any kind, the picture on p332 (SR4, not sure where/if it is in SR4A) showing a cybereye seems to indicate that the entire eye is replaced, or at the very least the inside of the eyeball.

Also I seem to recall descriptions of how cybereyes can look basically however you want, including having the 'whites' of the eye be metalic and such, which once again suggests a replacement of the entire eye.

Edit: Oh, and lets not forget the eye drone mod you can get. That definitely seems to indicate that the entire eye is artificial.

Edit2: With all the specific mention of the optic nerves, that brings up the question then: If using that 'weird eye location' cybereye or whatever it is called, would a mage be able to target with that as well? If not, what exactly makes the cybereyes put in the eye sockets special, and if so, why can't ultrasound communicate with the brain in the exact same manner?
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Karoline @ Jan 9 2010, 03:21 AM) *
An implanted ultrasound wouldn't use an image link (or at least wouldn't have to) as it would have direct access to your brain just like cybereyes do. If you wanted to, you could even have the image the ultrasound provides passed directly through the optic nerves if that would make any kind of difference.
Note, we aren't told this at all, in RAW. All we are told in RAW is that it's an implanted version of the ultrasound sensor. All that could mean is a pouch in a convenient location in the brain with wires stuck into it. The essence cost could simply be an image overlay interface for the eye. We don't know. Nothing in RAW indicates that you have a direct neural interface to your implanted ultrasound system.

"Then why would you ever get it?" Because you are (read: I am) a lazy mundane who wants to hide it in his/her body? *shrugs*

EDIT: Changed "enhancement" to "sensor" to be more accurate to the RAW writing. Whatever that means.

Also, you can have a full orbital replacement of the eye and spare the optic nerve. It doesn't JUST have to be an artificial retina. It can be a full structural replacement of the eye, but it leaves the optic nerve and retinal interface intact, albeit with an artificial retina. From a cost perspective, this makes sense (why destroy a connection that's already there?), and you'd be able to use similar artificial retinal mods for cybereyes as well.

We also know nothing about whether the SR world has special "mage eyes" for just this purpose. I'd assume that it doesn't, since there's no mention of it, but it's something to think about.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Karoline @ Jan 9 2010, 02:25 AM) *
Edit2: With all the specific mention of the optic nerves, that brings up the question then: If using that 'weird eye location' cybereye or whatever it is called, would a mage be able to target with that as well? If not, what exactly makes the cybereyes put in the eye sockets special, and if so, why can't ultrasound communicate with the brain in the exact same manner?

1) Yes. I think that's been addressed.

2) Because of the SPU doing calculations to figure out what the data looks like, effectively rendering the signal--however it gets to the brain--as an electronic one, and unusable for spellcasting. Now, an awakened bat: sure. They could use a cyber version of ultrasound for spellcasting as it'd be skipping the SPU and they'd be using their own gray matter. They'd likely also be able to use radar and UWBR wired in in the same way.*

*I would however question the ability to cast through walls even so, due to the fact that the wall is still perceived and Magic doesn't pass through walls** in any other form of casting.

**Opaque to the visible light spectrum objects.
Karoline
No, we aren't told in RAW that there is a DNI of any kind with the ultrasound implant, but at the same time it isn't indicated that you require an image link to make it work. This would make the implanted version rather pointless if you didn't also have cybereyes, as if you lose your glasses/goggles/whatever that provide the image link you lose the ultrasound, regardless of if it is implanted or in the glasses/whatever.

I suppose I'm a bit confused as to your interpretation of how a cybereye works. If the retina is artificial and thus the low-light vision or thermographic vision is being provided by some sort of technology, how does that differ from a contact lens?
Karoline
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jan 9 2010, 02:46 AM) *
1) Yes. I think that's been addressed.

2) Because of the SPU doing calculations to figure out what the data looks like, effectively rendering the signal--however it gets to the brain--as an electronic one, and unusable for spellcasting. Now, an awakened bat: sure. They could use a cyber version of ultrasound for spellcasting as it'd be skipping the SPU and they'd be using their own gray matter. They'd likely also be able to use radar and UWBR wired in in the same way.*

*I would however question the ability to cast through walls even so, due to the fact that the wall is still perceived and Magic doesn't pass through walls** in any other form of casting.

**Opaque to the visible light spectrum objects.

So, if the cybereye doesn't process what it sees at all, how can it provide low light or thermographic vision? I figure some kind of processing must be done for thermographic as our eyes can't normally detect IR light, and if the modification was purely so our eyes could do so, I don't know that our brains would be able to turn that into an image of any kind.

Oh, and ritual spell casting passes through walls, so there is some president for casting through a wall, though of course ritual spellcasting breaks basically all the normal rules of spells. An awakened bat sounds awesome, even if it can't get an UWBR implant to cast spells through walls.

Edit: Much as I hate to drop out of the discussion (As it is going well and I seem to be the only one who thinks ultrasound should work) it is super late, so night all. Happy debating. I'll see if I can catch up in the morning.
Heath Robinson
I voted no. The Ultrasound sensor states that it overlays or replaces normal vision, which means that it is excluded as per the second half of the sentence. Cybereyes do not overlay or replace natural vision - they are natural vision. Cloned eyes are, after all, just a form of sensor wrought from cells instead of inorganic materials, and they're made with technology, and artificially. You could make an argument that cloned eyes are technological.
Muspellsheimr
Low Light amplifies the amount of light your retina (natural or artificial) receives.
Thermographic broadens the frequency of light your retina (natural or artificial) receives.

Neither requires processing in any form.
Neither requires an image link or alternate display method.

You can target with line of sight, not with digital images. Both radar & ultrasound are clear in that they use non-visual methods of gathering information, which they then use to create a digital image, which overlays or replaces your natural vision.

Until you can provide a rules quote stating that Ultrasound (not the overlay it generates, but the emitter/receiver itself) is visual, your stance cannot be supported as anything other than a House Rule (& a rather stupid one, at that). The same applies for Radar (Ultra-Wideband or otherwise).
TheOOB
The fact that mages can cast through fiber optics(mage sight) is a pretty good argument for saying that spell targeting requires you to see through reflected light(which also explains why casting through a window works). As mentioned above, low-light and thermo vision both still use light, just light amplification and light outside the normal visible spectrum respectively.

Even as a cyber eye mod, ultrasound does not use light, it uses sound. It it gathers sonic data, and then a computer compiles that data and presents a computer approximation of the surroundings. It shouldn't allow for spell targeting any more that your image link drawing a picture of a person where it detected a commlink with the scan program would.
Glyph
That's the key, to me. It's not a new sense - it's a computerized representation of the data from the sensor, rather than the raw feed itself.
Kliko
Has it been paid for with essence -> yes

Not? -> no
Muspellsheimr
So you are saying that an ultrasonic (sound-based) system without the digital overlay is a visual sense? Because the rules specifically forbid digital feeds (which includes image-link overlays such as Ultrasound & Radar) effects from being used as spell targeting, regardless of if they have been paid for with Essence or not.
Kliko
I'm an sr3 players, so yeah, perhaps you have a good point/are right or my memory is letting me down...
Zormal
I voted no. Lemme try a confusing and roundabout way of explaining my opinion nyahnyah.gif

The spell (Improved) Invisibility "makes the subject more difficult to detect by normal visual
senses". It has no effect on Ultrasound, so ultrasound is not a visual sense when it comes to magic biggrin.gif

--

Then for a less tongue-in-cheek explanation:

I tend to lean towards intuitive/emotional explanations, when trying to explain magical effects. For me, it doesn't matter where the wires go in the brain. Sound is sound, and sensing by sound is hearing, not seeing, even if you plug a computer in between and reroute the information to your visual cortex.
Kliko
Ah well, it appears I spoke up to soon, even for sr3 it's there on m&m p 18...
nezumi
1) It CAN be used for targeting elemental manipulations, since they do not require LOS.

However, it CANNOT be solely used for targeting direct spells like manabolt.

This is all a moot point however since the ultrasound vision only reduces vision modifiers - it augments your normal vision. Mechanically, you cannot see someone ONLY with ultrasound vision (unless you're using the scope). I would argue that the modifiers of UV do count for targetting spells.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Karoline @ Jan 9 2010, 02:54 AM) *
Oh, and ritual spell casting passes through walls, so there is some president for casting through a wall, though of course ritual spellcasting breaks basically all the normal rules of spells. An awakened bat sounds awesome, even if it can't get an UWBR implant to cast spells through walls.

Ritual Spellcasting isn't casting spells through walls. It's a spell effect that you spend 12 hours establishing a magical link through Hammerspace with the target, then using "like is like" fireball something in front of you and the effect is passed onto the target.

But you're right, an awakened bat sounds awesome. I could see GM Fiat making one that does cast spells through walls just to fuck with players. Because that would be an awesome fight.
KarmaInferno
Biosonar metagenic quality should work fine for targeting, though, no?

By RAW, yes. It is a natural sense the character has.
TheOOB
QUOTE (Kliko @ Jan 9 2010, 05:32 AM) *
Has it been paid for with essence -> yes

Not? -> no

According to that logic, if I pay for my cyberears with essence I can cast spells through it, or maybe I can cast spells at icons if I pay for an internal commlink!

Spell targeting requires you to see your target, ultrasound is not sight, even if it is installed in your eyes.
tagz
Now matter how I look at it I keep coming back to "no".

Looking at the fundamentals of how vision itself works helps for me. A natural eye takes light, filters it through a lens and the brain processes the nerve sensations.

A cybereye would be able to do the same thing in a mechanical method. The information sent to the brain would be rather similar once translated into bio-electric stimuli. A change to low-light or thermograthic would be a small change to either the amount of light shown (amplifying ambient light for low light) or allowing a higher area of the color spectrum to be viewed (thermographic).

Ultrasound, essence paid or not, is fundamentally different. It doesn't use the visual spectrum at all. Instead it reflects sound and interprets this via echolocation. If this was connected DIRECTLY to the VISUAL sense it would almost defiantly cause visual synesthesia as the information would be in a different format then the brain is used to receiving.

The various companies in the sixth world wouldn't spend countless time and money on software to translate this information into a form the brain could process as natural vision directly when the ability to take raw data and create a simple overlay with it has been in use for years. Why would anyone NEED to see naturally with ultrasound when they can just use an artificial overlay instead?

Ultrasound is viewed by overlays, it's the only thing that makes sense to me. Whether you overlay only a portion of your vision or the whole thing doesn't matter, an overlay is an overlay. You're basically changing out the real visual scope for a "cartoon" version of it, even if the cartoon is more detailed then regular vision it's not the same thing.
Muspellsheimr
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jan 9 2010, 11:57 PM) *
By RAW, yes. It is a natural sense the character has.

By RAW, no. It is not a visual sense.

The same applies for bats & anything else that is capable of echolocation or similar effects. It is a highly acute audio sense, and your brain receives the information as such. It is then 'converted' into a form you are capable of recognizing - for metahumans, this is typically a visual representation, as that is what they are most used to. Regardless, the information is still gathered through non-visual means, & thus cannot be used for spell targeting.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ Jan 10 2010, 06:29 AM) *
By RAW, no. It is not a visual sense.

Ah, you are right, it does specify visual sense.
Tyro
Has nobody mentioned the pre-crash thread where this was hashed out over many pages and weeks or months of argument? I didn't see it mentioned during a quick once-over and ctrl-F, but that isn't definitive. Synner himself (the line developer at the time) came out and posted the RAI - to wit, that ultrasound is not a visual sense and was never meant to allow spell targeting. Based on the arguments used, I would extend this to other nonvisual senses such as UWB radar, SURGEd echolocation etc.
Draco18s
I agree, but I still think an awakened bat could cast spells with its echolocation. Mainly because "they invented it," and all that.

Never a player option though.
pbangarth
I voted no.

Different form of energy, different form of connection... doesn't work. I would say any form of electromagnetic radiation detection should work if it is tied (including with essence cost) into the natural visual system which is designed to detect electromagnetic radiation. Radar for example.

Sound is not electromagnetic radiation.
Fuchs
Clear "No". It's not a visual sense.
Ascalaphus
I've been puzzling over this question for the weekend while away. Rather than try to argue point for point, let me offer some ideas, and decide for yourself if you like any of them.

This Wikipedia article on visual perception is perhaps useful to get into the mood. Important points in it:
- "Visual perception is the ability to interpret information and surroundings from visible light reaching the eye." (Link to visible light : "The visible spectrum is the portion of the electromagnetic spectrum that is visible to (can be detected by) the human eye." A rather convenient definition; if you can see it, it's visible light. Since radar is also electromagnetic radiation (photons), if you can see radar, it is visible light to you.
- The impact of light on the retina is not the same as "seeing"; it needs extensive processing by the brain to be turned into a 3D representation of the object seen.

Based on the first point, I think radar and UWB are basically the same as normal-light, low-light and thermographic sight; they're mechanical perception of electromagnetic radiation, that is processed and then sent to the optical centers of the brain.

Further, we're told that astral perception allows the targeting of LOS spells, and that astral perception isn't precisely "sight"; it's a sixth sense that also picks up emotional content and suchlike.

The description of how spellcasting works in SR4 gives some more context:
QUOTE (SR4 p.167)
On the Manipulation of Mana
Magical skills are defined as the manipulation of mana. Sorcery is the manipulation of mana to create effects known as spells; conjuring manipulates mana to call forth, create, or affect spirits.
Sorcery involves the intuitive manipulation of the mana field by a magician, who shapes it in certain ways for certain effects. A good metaphor for this is to equate the mana field with the airwaves, making the use of Sorcery the transmission of certain radio signals that create different effects. To cast a spell, a magician channels mana through herself and transmits it on a specific frequency. The act of channeling is fatiguing to a magician, and causes drain. The signal that the magician creates is based on a spell formula that the magician has learned, determining its form and effect. The target of the spell is the radio signal receiver, and the signal is sent on the target’s frequency. When the signal is received, it channels mana through the target to create a specified effect (thus Direct Combat spells bypass armor, because they affect the target from within). All of this occurs on the same plane—physical or astral—as the magician and the target.
Area-effect spells work roughly the same way, except that instead of transmitting a signal to one target, the caster
sends the signal out on multiple frequencies corresponding with the targets within the area of effect. If there are targets
within the area that the caster cannot see, they will not be affected, because the caster cannot synchronize with them
to transmit the spell signal on a frequency they will receive.
The metaphor continues with counterspelling, which equates to “jamming” the mana field, disrupting all frequencies within an area of effect so that a spell is jammed and thus disrupted.

As I read it, this specifies that the point of touch, visual perception or astral perception, is to create a clear, unique and uninterrupted connection from the spellcaster to the target. This entire connection must also be mana-conductive, like electrical cable. Anything paid for with Essence is conductive, any external, "dead" sensors are nonconductive.

Not all senses are suitable to find this channel. Touch is clearly suitable, hence why it's one of the standard spell ranges. Light is suitable, because it gives a clear unique image of the target under normal circumstances. Light also moves fast enough that the "perception delay" is not an issue. Astral perception, which is something else than sight, is also a good connection; it's obviously a mana-conducting medium.

Taste is usually preceded by touch anyway, so it doesn't matter. Smell is rather imprecise and non-immediate. I don't think that'll work.

So how about sound? Normal hearing certainly won't do; it's not precise. It's hard to locate someone by hearing alone. Sound also moves slower, so that increases the inaccuracy.

Ultrasound maybe? It's very precise. It can be converted into visual input for the brain, and this conversion can be done inside a paid-for-with-Essence implant. I can see a few reasons why it still won't do though;

- "Signal conversion" is just a no-no, for some arbitrary reason.
- Sound moves too slow to have enough "bandwidth" for spellcasting
- It's not precise enough (hard to believe when ultrasound can be more accurate than eyesight)
- Sounds (not the implant, the sound itself) is "dead"; it can't conduct mana. If this is the case however, how to sound-based magical attacks like some critter powers work? Elemental-magic-sound? Could this be replicated magically with a very subtle Manipulation or Detection spell?

These are the thoughts I have on the theoretical angle of whether it should be possible. There's also the desirability/game balance factor. Mages that use UWB to cast spells through walls are clearly a scary thought. But walls cast a shadow on the astral plane; they're opaque. This could mean you can't target through objects, or indulgently, that you merely need to bypass an additional Object Resistance for the wall (rarely below 3)
Muspellsheimr
Generally good points - I even brought up the electromagnetic radiation bit in regards to radar in the lost thread.

However, none of those arguments actually work. You cannot use Touch to target Line of Sight spells. You cannot use Olfactory or Audio senses, regardless of how acute. And the radar implant (& other radar systems, which is irrelevant for this discussion) do not work by transmitting the data to your visual centers - they work by processing the data into a visual image, which is then overlayed upon your normal vision. This is effectively how Ultrasound overlays work, remote camera overlays work, etc.

Rules as Written is very clear as to "You cannot use Ultrasound or Radar to target spells". I continue to fail to understand how people are unable to grasp this basic & clear concept, regardless of perceived balance issues or lack thereof.
Ascalaphus
QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ Jan 12 2010, 12:13 AM) *
And the radar implant (& other radar systems, which is irrelevant for this discussion) do not work by transmitting the data to your visual centers - they work by processing the data into a visual image, which is then overlayed upon your normal vision. This is effectively how Ultrasound overlays work, remote camera overlays work, etc.

The problem is that the definition of "normal vision" is completely arbitrary. Radar and thermographic vision are both light that is normally outside the visible spectrum. I think it's nonsense that one can be integrated into normal vision and the other one can't. Btw, SR4 talks about natural vision, augmented by anything paid for with Essence.

As for the overlay:

Radar Sensor: This device emits ultrawideband and terahertz radar in short stepped-frequency pulses. An expert system analyzes the Doppler shift in the bounced signals and converts the information into a three-dimensional “map” that overlays (or replaces) the user’s visual senses, similar in some ways to ultrasound.

So here you have it; overlays are not mandatory, and it is visual. It's paid for by essence, too.

QUOTE ( @ Jan 12 2010, 12:13 AM) *
Rules as Written is very clear as to "You cannot use Ultrasound or Radar to target spells". I continue to fail to understand how people are unable to grasp this basic & clear concept, regardless of perceived balance issues or lack thereof.

Well, it doesn't literally say that, does it? It might have been what they meant to write, but they didn't. They wrote a lot of fluff, that can be used to argue that you can do it.

QUOTE (SR4 p. 173)
The next thing a magician must do when casting a spell is choose her target(s). A spellcaster can target anyone or anything she can see directly with her natural vision. Physical cyber- or bio-enhancements paid for with Essence can be used to spot targets,

These enhancements do not need to be in the eyes; they just need to be visual. It also raises no objections to overlays.

QUOTE (SR4 p. 173)
but any technological visual aids that substitute themselves for the character’s own visual senses—cameras, electronic binoculars, Matrix feeds, etc.—cannot be used.

These aids that substitute themselves for your senses are meant to be aids outside of the body. You "own" all the senses you paid Essence for. But only those senses that are visual are suitable.

Note by the way that the Ultrasound in SR4 p. 324 is a Vision enhancement. If you got an implant version, it would logically work.

(Why there isn't a cybereye ultrasound is a mystery to me, since they fit on a contact lens, so why not in a cybereye?)
Draco18s
While RA.D.A.R. is electromagnetic radiation, just like visible light, the RA.D.A.R sensor we're referring to is not a "see radio wavelengths" thingy. It's a pulse-and-receive system, as seeing raw radio waves would be completely pointless, as you would see sources of radio transmission, which are not generally people.

You'd see glowing blobs around wireless devices.
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jan 11 2010, 09:58 PM) *
While RA.D.A.R. is electromagnetic radiation, just like visible light, the RA.D.A.R sensor we're referring to is not a "see radio wavelengths" thingy. It's a pulse-and-receive system, as seeing raw radio waves would be completely pointless, as you would see sources of radio transmission, which are not generally people.

You'd see glowing blobs around wireless devices.

Which would be perfect to pinpoint Technomancers on a crowd silly.gif

*ducks and get cover*
Draco18s
QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Jan 11 2010, 09:10 PM) *
Which would be perfect to pinpoint Technomancers on a crowd silly.gif

*ducks and get cover*

Though, TBH, you'd have to have the right frequency. The UWBR system uses two specific bandwidths and the analogy above as a perception of "all of them." If your "radio vision" only covered the band right around 101.2 FM, you'd only see the broadcast of that radio station as a visual blur (the data in the broadcast being too small and too fast to observe visually).
Da9iel
I voted no. Synner said so, so I chose to take his point of view. It's not a natural visual sense. I wish we could search up the long argument over UWB radar.

Now if an awakened spellcasting bat could cast through its echolocation and then chose to get its bat-echolocation replaced with ultrasound, I would totally allow it to cast spells through ultrasound. silly.gif

/edited because I can never leave well enough alone.
Axl
No. As others have mentioned, ultrasound uses sound waves, subsequently converted by the technology into a visually overlaid image.

I don't allow magicians to target with their hearing either.
Ascalaphus
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jan 12 2010, 01:58 AM) *

Radar emission is akin to using a flashlight to make sure there's normal light to see by.

QUOTE (Da9iel @ Jan 12 2010, 08:05 AM) *
I voted no. Synner said so, so I chose to take his point of view. It's not a natural visual sense. I wish we could search up the long argument over UWB radar.

I don't like to base my rules off what someone said on a forum, but didn't bother to put in errata.

Cybereyes aren't normal vision either. The text in SR4 says that you can use natural vision, AND enhanced vision. Because thermographic vision is just as unnatural to humans as radar.

QUOTE (Axl @ Jan 12 2010, 09:37 AM) *
No. As others have mentioned, ultrasound uses sound waves, subsequently converted by the technology into a visually overlaid image.

I don't allow magicians to target with their hearing either.

Ultrasound imaging is visual input however, while normal hearing isn't.
Smokeskin
QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Jan 12 2010, 02:41 PM) *
Ultrasound imaging is visual input however, while normal hearing isn't.

That doesn't really matter. Apparently, photons carry the astral signature so you can target through them. Sound waves don't, otherwise you'd be able to target with your hearing.

Ultrasound imaging is based on mapping sound wave input, and even if this is translated to visual input, it doesn't make the sound waves carry the astral signature.

Cray74
QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ Jan 9 2010, 04:37 AM) *
So you are saying that an ultrasonic (sound-based) system without the digital overlay is a visual sense? Because the rules specifically forbid digital feeds (which includes image-link overlays such as Ultrasound & Radar) effects from being used as spell targeting, regardless of if they have been paid for with Essence or not.

So mages cannot target with cybereyes, which provide digital image feeds from visual and infrared detectors?
Mr. Unpronounceable
Meh - if you can't see colors* on the target, you can't target the spell. Ultrasound gives topographical maps, radar gives shapes/densities instead.

*colors being used in the widest possible way here - "shades of grey" would work, for instance.
Cray74
Before I go further, I'd state: I voted "no, not even if Essence was paid." But I'm finding a number of arguments here lacking.

1) If vision is so important to spell casting then how do blind casters, like Ghouls or mages with the blindness flaw, cast spells?

2) I keep reading that ultrasound cybereyes are somehow different than other cybereyes, but I don't see how. Even plain, unaugmented cybereyes probably take light, receive it with an electronic receiver (e.g., a CCD used in today's digital cameras), and then process that signal from the electronic form to a form that optic nerves or the brain's optic center can understand. There's even more processing involved in infrared imaging because you're taking a fundamentally invisible radiation (to most metatypes) and converting it to a visible signal that the brain can interpret as a visual image. This is exactly the kind of processing that makes non-cyber electronic cameras unsuitable for targeting spells.

Ultrasound is no different. It gets converted through cyberware electronics just like conventional cybereye vision systems into a visual signal used to see.

At the end of the day, I wouldn't allow ultrasound cyberware for spellcasting. An internally consistent explanation would be nice, though.
Ascalaphus
QUOTE (Smokeskin @ Jan 12 2010, 02:56 PM) *
That doesn't really matter. Apparently, photons carry the astral signature so you can target through them. Sound waves don't, otherwise you'd be able to target with your hearing.

Apparently? It's not written down anywhere. It's just an assumption people make, because the text calls for visual senses. But ultrasound is a vision augmentation, not a hearing augmentation. The text requires you to "spot" a target. You don't necessarily need colors for that, you need to be able to separate it from it's surroundings, know where it is in space.

The text that describes how spellcasting works as mana manipulation, talks of sending out shaped mana to a receiver.. you need to be able to clearly identify a receiver, which topographical mapping with radar or ultrasound are pretty good at.

QUOTE (Smokeskin @ Jan 12 2010, 02:56 PM) *
Ultrasound imaging is based on mapping sound wave input, and even if this is translated to visual input, it doesn't make the sound waves carry the astral signature.

It's not so sure that only light can carry the signature. Astral perception isn't sight per se, and there certainly isn't any light there like there is on the physical plane. So light is not an exclusive way of perceiving targets.
Smokeskin
So we could implant a seismograph and then target spells with that, through vibration?
Draco18s
QUOTE (Cray74 @ Jan 12 2010, 03:21 PM) *
1) If vision is so important to spell casting then how do blind casters, like Ghouls or mages with the blindness flaw, cast spells?

Two words:

1) Astral
2) Perception
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012