Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Free spirits questions.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Tiny Deev
I'm planning my first SR campaign using the 3rd edition rules. Naturally, I have some questions. Heres one of them:
Free spirits, can I just build one?
I want the big bad, the guy who ruins my players day, the 'person' who runs the run, to be a free spirit. Atleast, if that is possible.
So, can I just make one up? And, how would I go about that?

Thank you,

Tiny.
Godwyn
Runners Companion has the rules for building a Free Spirit as a character. However, as the GM you are, of course, only partially bound by those rules.
Tiny Deev
Thank you, Godwyn. smile.gif
Tanegar
Was there a Runner's Companion for 3rd edition?
Tiny Deev
I.. I have no idea.
Tanegar
I ask because the only one I know of is for 4th edition.
Pendaric
3rd ed you want magic in the shadows. wink.gif
BRodda
QUOTE (Tiny Deev @ Jan 19 2010, 03:47 AM) *
I'm planning my first SR campaign using the 3rd edition rules. Naturally, I have some questions. Heres one of them:
Free spirits, can I just build one?
I want the big bad, the guy who ruins my players day, the 'person' who runs the run, to be a free spirit. Atleast, if that is possible.
So, can I just make one up? And, how would I go about that?

Thank you,

Tiny.

I just made a Free Spirit to post on DS so I'll give the the quick guidelines for making a NPC Free Spirit.

1) No stats or skills can be higher than its force. Its magic equals its force.
2) Make sure that it's force is in line with other big bads. An AVERAGE Great Dragon has Magic 12.
3) Feel free to load up on spells and powers; this is an NPC after all.
4) Spirits do not use spirits. No conjuring or binding available. Not even watcher spirits.

Just keep in mind that above force 10, your in dragon territory. Keep the parties power levels in mind.
Tiny Deev
Thanks BRodda! biggrin.gif
Platinum
QUOTE (BRodda @ Jan 19 2010, 12:09 PM) *
I just made a Free Spirit to post on DS so I'll give the the quick guidelines for making a NPC Free Spirit.

1) No stats or skills can be higher than its force. Its magic equals its force.
2) Make sure that it's force is in line with other big bads. An AVERAGE Great Dragon has Magic 12.
3) Feel free to load up on spells and powers; this is an NPC after all.
4) Spirits do not use spirits. No conjuring or binding available. Not even watcher spirits.

Just keep in mind that above force 10, your in dragon territory. Keep the parties power levels in mind.

Don't forget about spirit energy. Rules for free spirits start on 113 for Mits.

You can also have blood spirits and toxics spirits that are free, really upping their thread rating.
Omenowl
Spirits have specific goals and actions they want regardless of logic. Make sure they stay within this limitation. Have the runs mirror these oddly weird missions. Let the players think they are working with a mad man. IE I want you still 200k of BTL chips. The chips are blank or even fried/useless, but for some reason the entire mission centered around this. Keep the players guessing.

You may even want a toxic spirit that has two agendas such as to blow up chemical tanks, but it also hurts the bottom line of a company. Oh we are trying to hurt the company, no you are not doing anything except polluting the land...
Tiny Deev
Thanks for the tips. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012