Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Your Fake SIN and You
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
JoelHalpern
A couple of thoughts:
1) It does seem likely that shadowrunners are going to get stopped once in a while. If the normal way SINs are handled is an opposed test between the scanner and the SIN, then those stopps are going to blow up very badly. For game-play reasons, I don't like that
2) In SR Missions, in the Denver series, they give explicit rules for border crossings. Now, whether the following rules make sense or not, I don't know. But if borders aren't using SIN scanners, I don't know where they would be used.
The test is a threshold test by the players, of Charisma + Etiquette + SIN Rating. The target is a variable number which I would interpret as the Scanner rating. And they allow a teamwork test for the part.

As I say, I don't know whether that rule is realistic. But it has the advantage that the players get to roll to determine their fate. And most of the time, the players will succeed. If you declare that the border is on alert, up the target number. (Border patrol upped the sensitivity, knowing they would take longer and get more false alarms, but detecting more problems as well.)

Yours,
Joel M. Halpern
Nows7
QUOTE (kzt @ Mar 12 2010, 06:55 PM) *
You cannot get a court order.

Try to get a court order to search the Russian embassy.

Exactly my point.
Rotbart van Dainig
Your point is missing what ZO is about.
Nows7
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Mar 13 2010, 10:43 AM) *
Your point is missing what ZO is about.

Not sure what you are saying here....

I said

Also, I think that one of the idea's of shadowrun is that all these Corp's don't PLAY NICE with each other - if they did, we'd all be out of work. If Ares investigators come around to a MCT building asking to please have MCT's security tapes from last night, MCT will tell them to fuck off unless they have a court order - which is expensive. Same goes for their databases - does Horizon want EVO people "just checking some ID's" in their database? Corps hoard their data, and aren't going to hand it over when asked nicely.

My point is that Megacorp A won't help Megacorp B unless they have to. There are always some random legal BS that Corp B can pull to MAKE corp A give them a modicum of help, but such things are SLOW and EXPENSIVE - and by the time you get it, the runners are already gone, and the Johnson who hired them is sipping martini's on the 87th floor after he gave his boss the paydata.

Corps PRETEND to play nice with each other... "We are helping Lonestar investigate this tragic occurance at our rival's production facility" really means "we're doing everything we can to make them look like idiots so that their stock price will drop, and we can grab market share."
Blackb1rd
I think Rotbart Von Dainig is refernencing Zurich Orbital. It's where the Corporate Court is headquartered.

I agree with him personally, one could petition for CC Order to investigate some allegedly Fake SINs using another Corps database. However the likelihood of this happening is small. All the corporations are screwed over by thousands of runners with Fake SINs every day. They're not going to micromanage finding that information too much it less it is something of some serious importance. And if the Corp does want to micromanage it ca do so internally, they have plenty of money and a re highly unlikely to go through official channels to get information.
Blackb1rd
I think Rotbart Von Dainig is refernencing Zurich Orbital. It's where the Corporate Court is headquartered.

I agree with him personally, one could petition for CC Order to investigate some allegedly Fake SINs using another Corps database. However the likelihood of this happening is small. All the corporations are screwed over by thousands of runners with Fake SINs every day. They're not going to micromanage finding that information too much it less it is something of some serious importance. And if the Corp does want to micromanage it ca do so internally, they have plenty of money and a re highly unlikely to go through official channels to get information.
kzt
But do keep in mind the fact that they can't get a warrant doesn't mean they can't get the data.

All the security chiefs for the megas in Seattle know all the other security chiefs for the megas and the PD chiefs. They all know that next week they might need the help of one of them to deal with an issue. And nobody you screw over will be helping you out. Do not bet on them not not getting the data they need no matter what the official policies are, particularly if anyone got killed.

Security guys have NO reason to protect runners. They would generally just prefer to put their heads on pikes outside the gate.
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (kzt @ Mar 14 2010, 04:13 AM) *
Security guys have NO reason to protect runners. They would generally just prefer to put their heads on pikes outside the gate.

Well, sure. But their bosses might think that asking other corps for help might be a show of weakness anyway. In the end it is up for each GM to describe the corps as he/she sees best.
Nows7
QUOTE (Blackb1rd @ Mar 13 2010, 08:10 PM) *

Emphasis mine.

Which is my point.

Side note: If you're doing runs that are coming to the attention of the CC in the Zurich Orbital, you're probly screwed no matter your SIN nyahnyah.gif
kzt
QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Mar 14 2010, 12:19 AM) *
Well, sure. But their bosses might think that asking other corps for help might be a show of weakness anyway. In the end it is up for each GM to describe the corps as he/she sees best.

Pretty much. But it should be pretty obvious that managing to make a Mega corp that has more resources than any modern first world country notice your hostility is going to be as bad for your health as picking a fight with the Soviet Union/Russia. The dose of Polonium-210 that the FSB used to kill Alexander Litvinenko is estimated to cost about $15 million, though given the traces found all over London there was a lot more than that used in the assassination.
Omenowl
I always viewed the Sin as they do a check of you against said SIN. Not a database wide search for all matches. This way when anyone checks a SIN it cross references who gave you the sin and your biometrics. This goes to said database and then they send back the answers you are looking for. This cuts down on identity theft because the reviewer never gets to see the actual information they can only do a true or false statement. It also allow corporations to use spies with with multiple real sins to exist or be unavailable for their own database. Plausible deniability. Yes, the spy for ares has an actual sin, but Ares blocks it or manipulates it. The spy also has a real sin with MCT. Use the appropriate SIN depending on where you go and what you do.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012