Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Casting from Astral Space
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
jgalak
So here's a question my group's been trying to resolve. Can a mage in astral (projecting) affect people in the physical world? Can a mana spell be cast from astral against the aura of an unawakened person? How about an awakened person who is not astrally perceiving? How about a mage who is astrally perceiving (and therefre is dual-natured)?

What about a projecting mage who then manifests back into the physical world? Can he cast spells at people/things in the physical?

I'm trying to figure out if a mage who is present at a scene astrally can do anything (with spellcasting that is) if all of the opponents stay on the physical plane.

This is all under SR4a.

Thanks.
WalksWithWiFi
magicians on the astral plane can only cast mana spells on those with an astral presence.
So, other spirits, magicians on the astral.
Also, they can cast mana spells on dual natured entities.
though in no way can that effect the physical world beyond.

So no nuking the ghoul via astral with a mana ball and expecting it to traverse the realms.

and manifesting just makes a ghostly image of them on the material world-
they still can't effect the really real world.
Summerstorm
Didn't we have this question... like... two days ago?
DireRadiant
Yes. Question comes up often.

An astrally projecting mage can indirectly affect the physical world by commanding a spirit to Materialize. Note that this is still a case where the astral entity, the spirit, must make itself Physical to interact with the physical plane.

I think the only exception is a sustained spirit power which can be sustained by a spirit on a different plane. Though it must be in the same plane to start the power to begin with.
darthmord
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Jan 29 2010, 01:02 PM) *
Yes. Question comes up often.

An astrally projecting mage can indirectly affect the physical world by commanding a spirit to Materialize. Note that this is still a case where the astral entity, the spirit, must make itself Physical to interact with the physical plane.

I think the only exception is a sustained spirit power which can be sustained by a spirit on a different plane. Though it must be in the same plane to start the power to begin with.

Correct on the spirit sustaining a power.

The only exception to the rule of a projecting mage affecting planes (which isn't really an exception) would be if the mage somehow had the ability to Materialize like spirits do. If the mage can do that (as opposed to Manifesting), he takes on a Physical Plane presence which would be combined with his astral presence (making him dual-natured) just like a spirit that materializes would. Then he could affect the Physical with spells without issue.

This is why a mage may want to get an Endowment of Materialization from a spirit.
Medicineman
Here it is
http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=29590

with a reocurring Dance
Medicineman
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012