Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: biggest payout
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Daylen
whats the biggest payout per char for a single run?

1.75M nY for me.
Ophis
3 mill. Each.

It was a high powered campaign, during the corp war, as lead troops to sieze the Fuchi Delta Clinic for Novatech.
The Jake
I think similar ballpark here. Last time I had such a haul in any game was over 10 years ago but it was around that mark. Back in wee SR2 days some guy became a high ranking Yakuza with some sort of unofficial standing within MCT and as such, had near unlimited resources at his disposal. Mind you, I think I was 16 at the time I was running these sessions... (And it was his retirement run).

- J.
Mikado
QUOTE (Daylen @ Jan 31 2010, 07:23 PM) *
whats the biggest payout per char for a single run?

1.75M nY for me.

My group finished the old Dunkelzahn's Will run where the group goes to the metaplanes to retrieve a gem of some form... Was "asked" by Lofwyr to hand it over to him instead of Hestaby (well, as our game went. not sure if that’s how the run really goes.) we where offered basically anything... 100mil nuyen.gif or more, delta cyber... basically it was the end of the campaign and starting new characters
CanadianWolverine
Darn it, I was worried it might be a OP with only a number. Pretty please, with sugar on top, if we brag about our fictional big score, may it be with a story (like other posters already did) of how your / team attained such spectacular wealth, then we can all get into discussions on how your GM is either too generous or how such a run should have netted yet more treasure. biggrin.gif

For the record, my character pretty died on its first (and last) run to a sniper but someone revived him anyways and even let me have my cut, so IIRC, my record so far is a earth shattering 10, 000 Y which I should count myself lucky it wasn't 0 Y nyahnyah.gif It was a (railroad) job to hijack a docked boat on short notice from a little used dock of one no name corp and deliver it to some other no name corp without tampering with its cargo. Somehow the place didn't have the time for a timely pick up of their cargo but had plenty of time to put into place 4 hidden snipers other than the usual rent-a-cop corp sec walking sentry in the middle of the night. Well, I should probably stop there in describing my only SR gaming session so far before I show the chip on my shoulder too much nyahnyah.gif
toturi
QUOTE (Mikado @ Feb 1 2010, 08:44 AM) *
My group finished the old Dunkelzahn's Will run where the group goes to the metaplanes to retrieve a gem of some form... Was "asked" by Lofwyr to hand it over to him instead of Hestaby (well, as our game went. not sure if that’s how the run really goes.) we where offered basically anything... 100mil nuyen.gif or more, delta cyber... basically it was the end of the campaign and starting new characters

That's probably from SOTF.
Summerstorm
Holy... that... that are big numbers. I can't remember clearly but i think highest for me was about 80.000+ a rating 5 muscle toner system/treatment (experimental and highly efficient... you see the 5?) + loot and paydata.

But i think we (as a group) stole more sometimes then we were paid *g*. And then you just have to murder your people to get it all *g*.
Daylen
why get rid of the other pc's? why not just be the face, be the only one at the pay meet, toss the other players just enough to get by and not have to worry about finding new runners to team with?
Maelstrome
2.5 kilos of orichalcum. gm didnt realize what he did.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
1,000,000 Nuyen in Resources and A Permanent Luxury Lifestyle (on a small intercoastal Island) - It was a retirement Run from SR2 (the character retired with 387 Karma)...

Keep the Faith
Rystefn
5 mil. Minus 115,575:nuyen: for expenses, divided by eight runners gave us 610,553.125:nuyen: each. Not bad for two weeks of work. It was a pretty intensive run, with metric assloads of planning and prep, including the purchase of more than one custom vehicle just for the run, and hacking the NYC subway system to divert several trains.

What was the run, you ask? Stealing an original Apollo 11 spacesuit. Yeah, it was a top-end run. 350-400 Karma runners in a game that had been running at that point for just shy of four years. Highlight of the run: Rocket-assisted motorcycle modded to run on subway rails racing a train head-on to the tunnel exit (yeah, the hacker missed one).

Second place: 4 mil. After expenses, payout came to 388,000¥ per person plus Form Fitting Body Armor Shirt, Survival Knife, 100m Microwire, Rappelling Gloves, Novatech Airware Commlink, Iris Orb OS, Trodes, Analyse 3, Encrypt 3, Liguasoft Speretheil 5, Linguasoft Gailic 5, Mapsoft Belfast 6, Mapsoft Tir Na nOg 6, Street Clothes, Armored Clothing in the form of a winter Long Coat (Insulation 6), Survival Kit, Medkit 6, Glasses w/ Low Light, Flare, and Image Link, Poket Binoculars with Vision Mag, Sleeping Bag, and a Dawnglider. The run was to rescue a high-up in Evo that had been vacationing in Tír na nÓg when militant human separatists launched a terrorist attack and was caught up in a sweep. Highlight: HALO drooping into the Tir in kilts, blasting Queen while dropping smoke/gas grenades filled with eX and Zen.
Maelstrome
might i add i got the orichalcum in the middle towards the beginning of the campaign.XP
Smokeskin
Why were your characters paid that much? It seems totally out of line. Isn't it reasonable to assume that they'd do it for less? Is so, why weren't they offered less? If they really didn't want to do it for less, weren't there other people with similar capabilities that could be hired for less?

Just about the only reason I can see to pay someone that much would be if they stole something valuable and you had to give them an incentive to actually hand it in rather than resell it themselves.
toturi
QUOTE (Smokeskin @ Feb 1 2010, 08:58 PM) *
Why were your characters paid that much? It seems totally out of line. Isn't it reasonable to assume that they'd do it for less? Is so, why weren't they offered less? If they really didn't want to do it for less, weren't there other people with similar capabilities that could be hired for less?

Just about the only reason I can see to pay someone that much would be if they stole something valuable and you had to give them an incentive to actually hand it in rather than resell it themselves.

Evidently not.
Smokeskin
QUOTE (toturi @ Feb 1 2010, 02:36 PM) *
Evidently not.

I was actually hoping to hear what unique capabilities warranted such high pay, rather than a snide remark.
toturi
QUOTE (Smokeskin @ Feb 1 2010, 10:08 PM) *
I was actually hoping to hear what unique capabilities warranted such high pay, rather than a snide remark.

What makes you think it needs be unique capabilities? Why can't the characters get such high pay without such?

I was questioning your preconceptions. I was hoping that you could see that such high pay could be par for the course.
Smokeskin
QUOTE (toturi @ Feb 1 2010, 03:16 PM) *
What makes you think it needs be unique capabilities? Why can't the characters get such high pay without such?

I was questioning your preconceptions. I was hoping that you could see that such high pay could be par for the course.

I like to have people behave at least somewhat realisticly. This means that people who have millions to spend on getting a job done, will generally be savvy enough to not waste millions overpaying runners unless there's a very good reason for it.
Ophis
QUOTE (Smokeskin @ Feb 1 2010, 02:08 PM) *

In my example it was the culmination ofa series of runs that helped Novatech emerge as a winne rin the corp war. To a great degree they were company men for Villiers doing a lot of serious runs and making tons of money, which was mostly converted into Fuchi produced cyberware. So their special skill, known loyalty and reliability.
Doc Byte
QUOTE (Maelstrome @ Feb 1 2010, 03:36 AM) *
2.5 kilos of orichalcum. gm didnt realize what he did.

I was running a little online game. We rescued a runner who stole several tons of orichalcum ore somewhere in Siberia. Got 750k out of it and spent 600k on upgrading from middle lifestyle to high (sold the old one for 400k) and moving from Hawai'i to New Monaco.

2. place: 135k
3. place: 4x 100k
4. place: 2x 80k
Jaid
QUOTE (Smokeskin @ Feb 1 2010, 09:08 AM) *

perhaps you should look at the charts that indicate typical levels of ability then.

look at the kinds of people who have a skill of 6. most are quite literally the kinds of people who make millions every year. legitimately. without getting shot at or risking life imprisonment.

people with a skill of 7 have as examples people who are basically the best of the best. you're talking about people who are (or should be) legends (in fact, the descriptor for the category is "legendary").

i would be surprised if the average PC runner team didn't have at least one person with a skill of 6 or 7. even a skill of 5 is likely enough for someone to make a million a year in some of the areas.

runners who have a 6 or a 7 in the skill are legitimately not going to be cheap to hire.
Summerstorm
QUOTE (Doc Byte @ Feb 1 2010, 05:23 PM) *
I was running a little online game. We rescued a runner who stole several tons of orichalcum ore somewhere in Siberia. Got 750k out of it and spent 600k on upgrading from middle lifestyle to high (sold the old one for 400k) and moving from Hawai'i to New Monaco.

2. place: 135k
3. place: 4x 100k
4. place: 2x 80k

Wait...someone stole TONS of orichalkum? The same orichalkum where about 10 gram is a unit sold for about a hundred thousand? (Ah i see, now a unit costs 50.000). But even so... TONS of orichalcum makes you a superpower in money. (And also you could buid something like those Theran-Magic-Batteries with such amount, or not?) I mean hell even in its raw form it probably magnets all kinds of weird and/or horrible people and "things from beyond" to you, or?

Phew... Well, my group just earned 100k+XXk (for all 4,5 people together) for their FIRST BIG RUN (If they don't make any mistakes now). If they keep doing good i reckon they may one day get a job where they will be offered a million flat. I could even think about something where they may get some stuff and equipment and such extra. But paying five million or more for a team for ONE job.. it better is like the work of god himself.
Draco18s
Our groups currently working on that other biggy in Big D's will as we'll be crashing Deus.
Machiavelli
1,5 billions. It was intended to be a retirement-run, but it didn´t prevent me from buying a rolly-royce phaeton with chaufeur and nearly all the clubs we are using for run-meetings.^^
Doc Byte
QUOTE (Summerstorm @ Feb 1 2010, 07:12 PM) *
Wait...someone stole TONS of orichalkum?

No, not refined orichalcum just raw ore.
Mordinvan
QUOTE (Smokeskin @ Feb 1 2010, 07:08 AM) *

Could be looking at something along the lines of cost vs probability of success.
Rystefn
QUOTE (Smokeskin @ Feb 1 2010, 01:58 PM) *

Like one of the original Apollo 11 spacesuits? A piece of history that would easily go for millions on the open market? That's basically like paying a group of people to steal the original Wright Brothers plane today, you know. No, we wouldn't do it for less. We were offered less and refused. Like we said to Mr. J: "If you think you an find someone who'll do it for less, you go right ahead, but you come trying to hire us to bust them out of the joint before they sell you out or steal it out of an evidence locker afterwards."
DireRadiant
My character got paid with his life.
Ophis
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Feb 1 2010, 09:15 PM) *
My character got paid with his life.

That hardly counts as a big payoff, life is after all cheap.
TheMidnightHobo
My team got away with just over 100k and a Force 2 Power Focus (after expenses and fencing), for recovering a sword possessed with the soul of an ancient Japanese warlord (I'm assuming the item was made up by my GM, but I'm not too sure...).
toturi
QUOTE (Smokeskin @ Feb 1 2010, 10:44 PM) *
I like to have people behave at least somewhat realisticly. This means that people who have millions to spend on getting a job done, will generally be savvy enough to not waste millions overpaying runners unless there's a very good reason for it.

And they are behaving realistically. I do not think that millions for runners of the PCs' caliber and experience to carry out high risk activity is overpay.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Jaid @ Feb 1 2010, 10:04 AM) *
perhaps you should look at the charts that indicate typical levels of ability then.

look at the kinds of people who have a skill of 6. most are quite literally the kinds of people who make millions every year. legitimately. without getting shot at or risking life imprisonment.

people with a skill of 7 have as examples people who are basically the best of the best. you're talking about people who are (or should be) legends (in fact, the descriptor for the category is "legendary").

i would be surprised if the average PC runner team didn't have at least one person with a skill of 6 or 7. even a skill of 5 is likely enough for someone to make a million a year in some of the areas.

runners who have a 6 or a 7 in the skill are legitimately not going to be cheap to hire.

*Sarcasm
But Jaid.... Why would you think that? That would actually make some sort of sense (and it is something that I have been arguing for for a very long time)...*

I do agree with you wholeheartedly...

Keep the Faith
Daylen
BLASPHEMY!!! everyone should have 5-7 in combat skills or any other skills! runners should be paid in shoelaces (not even leather shoes) from which they should have to make soup for sustinence! Bullets are something they should buy at start and never be able to afford after! Upgrade, no! sell off cyber to eat YES!
Smokeskin
QUOTE (Jaid @ Feb 1 2010, 06:04 PM) *

Are you kidding? Maybe if their skills applied directly to extremely popular sports, they could make lots of money. But I don't really see that as an alternative for most runners.

There are tons of people with great illusionist skills, but hardly any of them get to be David Copperfield and make millions. There are lots of geniuses with great creativity and technical skills, but how many get to be Bill Gates or Steve Jobs? Just having better social skills than Bill Clinton isn't enough to become President of the United States.

Being awesome at sneaking past guards and shooting an assault rifle, that might get you a job in the army, which won't lead to a life in luxury. (In SR, an Urban Brawl career might make things different of course). If you take the 100 best shooters in the world, what do you think their income is? Shooting isn't golf...

Most runners just don't have the option of dropping into civilian life - they're mostly SINless, they have a criminal past which at least would get them blackmailed if they hit the limelight, and many of them have all sorts of issues that fit very poorly with the discipline and consistent performance required for civilian succes - much less to become rich in the process.

On top of that, you have to wonder how often rolling 2-3 dice more really makes so much difference that it is worth millions to the employer. Planning skills, special knowledge, reliability and other "soft" capabilities can be very valuable in the right circumstances, but just being a good shot doesn't really make that much of a difference.

I can agree that they won't be cheap to hire, but "not cheap" is very different from making millions - and just having high skills doesn't justify that at all.

Smokeskin
QUOTE (Daylen @ Feb 2 2010, 03:08 AM) *
BLASPHEMY!!! everyone should have 5-7 in combat skills or any other skills! runners should be paid in shoelaces (not even leather shoes) from which they should have to make soup for sustinence! Bullets are something they should buy at start and never be able to afford after! Upgrade, no! sell off cyber to eat YES!

Yeah, the only alternative to making millions is to be paid in shoelaces. Obviously.
Ascalaphus
QUOTE (Smokeskin @ Feb 2 2010, 11:59 AM) *
There are tons of people with great illusionist skills, but hardly any of them get to be David Copperfield and make millions. There are lots of geniuses with great creativity and technical skills, but how many get to be Bill Gates or Steve Jobs? Just having better social skills than Bill Clinton isn't enough to become President of the United States.

A "great" illusionist probably has a skill rating of 4 ("Veteran").

Why are good shooting skills worth millions? Because the sniper will get only one shot at the president, and he has to die before he signs the bill that's on his desk.

As for the "2-3 dice extra" argument.. the skills have been defined to mean a particular level of skill in-game. NPCs should react to that.

Sometimes the bonuses from equipment rather overshadow the importance of skill; that's unfortunate. I rather like the optional rule that the limit on bonus dice is the character's base Attribute+Skill rating.
Platinum
QUOTE (Smokeskin @ Feb 1 2010, 07:58 AM) *

What does it matter? It's obvious that they pulled off the job. The corp or power players stood to make hundreds of millions. I would gladly payout thousands of dollars to make 10 or 20 times that.

Now bring that up to corporate levels. Betting 6 million to make 600 million by being first to market with new tech or to delay your competition from cutting into your profits.

I don't care who does it as long as they can do it.
Platinum
QUOTE (Ophis @ Feb 1 2010, 04:19 PM) *
That hardly counts as a big payoff, life is after all cheap.

Your life is cheap. My life is worth a fortune. It's a matter of perspective.
Machiavelli
If you stand on the wrong side of my character, your life is worthless. So nearly 6 billion people in the world don´t care about your life and the only one who disagrees is yourself. Doesn´t sound like a draw to me.^^
Draco18s
QUOTE (Platinum @ Feb 2 2010, 05:54 PM) *
It's a matter of perspective.

My last character pretty much valued his companions as bullet magnets. Because thats what they did. They were good at it. He didn't care if they died because they didn't seem to care either (case in point, the player who made a vampire who decided to melee a guy with a shotgun, the shotgun won...he recovered later, but basically took lead to the face and was down for the count).
lordnth
SR2 I was the GM

I offered 5 Million nY for some job. I forget the run and the job. But the PCs all killed each other. The last guy left showed the goods to Mr. J and he was capped by snipers nearby....

Daylen
QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Feb 3 2010, 05:57 PM) *
If you stand on the wrong side of my character, your life is worthless. So nearly 6 billion people in the world don´t care about your life and the only one who disagrees is yourself. Doesn´t sound like a draw to me.^^

I love it when people talk tough over the internet about their character.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Feb 2 2010, 07:51 AM) *
Sometimes the bonuses from equipment rather overshadow the importance of skill; that's unfortunate. I rather like the optional rule that the limit on bonus dice is the character's base Attribute+Skill rating.

I do like this rule, and generally use it for my characters regardless of whether the GM enforces it or not... always worked out well for me...

Keep the Faith
RedeemerofOgar
QUOTE (lordnth @ Feb 3 2010, 08:13 PM) *
SR2 I was the GM

I offered 5 Million nY for some job. I forget the run and the job. But the PCs all killed each other. The last guy left showed the goods to Mr. J and he was capped by snipers nearby....

Perfect.
RedeemerofOgar
QUOTE (lordnth @ Feb 3 2010, 08:13 PM) *
SR2 I was the GM

Perfect.
Smokeskin
QUOTE (Platinum @ Feb 2 2010, 11:47 PM) *
What does it matter? It's obvious that they pulled off the job. The corp or power players stood to make hundreds of millions. I would gladly payout thousands of dollars to make 10 or 20 times that.

Now bring that up to corporate levels. Betting 6 million to make 600 million by being first to market with new tech or to delay your competition from cutting into your profits.

I don't care who does it as long as they can do it.

So you think that corporations that make profits don't care about cost? How long do you think a Johnson lasts if he pays 6 million to runners if his boss knows someone could do it for 10% of that? This sort of thinking "we're going to make 600 million on this project, so we can easily pay 10 times the salary to the runners", does that apply to everyone on the project, or just the runners?

The whole "they make so much money they're not going to care about a few millions", it is frankly ridiculous.
toturi
QUOTE (Smokeskin @ Feb 10 2010, 04:25 PM) *
So you think that corporations that make profits don't care about cost? How long do you think a Johnson lasts if he pays 6 million to runners if his boss knows someone could do it for 10% of that? This sort of thinking "we're going to make 600 million on this project, so we can easily pay 10 times the salary to the runners", does that apply to everyone on the project, or just the runners?

The whole "they make so much money they're not going to care about a few millions", it is frankly ridiculous.

I think the Johnson would last quite long, as long as the runners deliver the expected results.

If his boss knows someone who can do the job for 10%, then his boss would have gotten that someone to do it at 10%; the reason why the boss didn't, is that he knows the other guy can't do it at 10%.

At one end is the low end shadowrun where there is a oversupply of guys who can do the job. On the other end is the high end shadowrun where there may be a handful of guys/teams that maybe can do the job. It is not every day you make billions of dollars of profit, when you have the opportunity, how much would you be willing to pay for success? Sure, if the GM thinks the market rate of breaking and entering into Mitsuhama's vaunted zero zones is a couple of thousand of nuyen, then it is his game, he can set whatever pay he wishes.

The whole "they make so much money they're not going to care about a few millions" may be ridiculous, but that is what happens. It even happens when they lose money too.
The Monk
QUOTE (Smokeskin @ Feb 10 2010, 03:25 AM) *

It's hard for me to imagine the money spent on hiring criminals is making it into some corp's P&L. Maybe I'm just imagining it, but the way you put it makes it seem like the Johnson is an HR guy sitting behind a desk.

"You got that expense report on the NeoNet extraction, Mr. Gibbons?"
"Oh yes Mr. Lumbergh, I'll send it up right away."

Ascalaphus
If I'm choosing which Johnson to use, consider this choice:

A) Johnson requires 6million to earn 600million with 80% chance of success
B) Johnson2 requires 600k to earn 600million with 40% chance of success

I know which one I'd pick. 5.4 million "insurance premium" to double my chances of earning those 600million.

Look at the real world: corporations are certainly willing to spend a lot of money to earn far more money. They won't just jeopardize their chance of the big bucks for comparatively small savings.
toturi
QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Feb 10 2010, 05:13 PM) *
Look at the real world: corporations are certainly willing to spend a lot of money to earn far more money. They won't just jeopardize their chance of the big bucks for comparatively small savings.

I know some bosses who are willing to pay 10 times the going rate for a mere 20% better performance. I also know some bosses who don't but those companies folded.
Smokeskin
There's still this assumption that the Johnson gets more for paying 6 million to the group than if you paid them 600k. That's mostly a wrong assumption.

First off, most groups would still do it if they were offered only 600k. Why pay the same people more to do something they're willing to do for less? How often are 600k jobs turned down?

Secondly, aren't there other groups able to do it? If this specific group of PCs are the only ones that can do it reliably, there are two options. Either, they're the only ones this good - if you're playing a campaign where your runners are the best in the world, that's a valid point, but if you're playing such a high-powered campaing, come out and say it. The alternative is they have insider knowledge, a history with the target, or some other unique aspect that warrants extraordinary pay.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012