Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thoughts on magic and space
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Shanshu Freeman
Forgive me if this has been covered, but I wanted to hear what my fellow dumpshockers thoughts are;

If someone were to transport a sample of HMHVV into space, what would happen to it? Would it revert to the state it was in before the awakening, or would it still be as we know it now? If it were to revert to a pre-awakening state, would it switch back upon reintroduction to a manasphere?

Can an HMHVV positive person survive in space? (No, right?)

Could a mage or magically active person survive a a trip in space if they were kept cryogenically frozen for the duration, or would they still be harmed?
sable twilight
I thought mages can survive space just fine as long as they don't astrally project or perceive or try casting spells.
GoldenAri
Yeah, but an HMHVV positive person is going to be dual natured.
moosegod
Your right on that account, sable. I think most infected races would be fine, since the changes are on a massive scale.

However, I think HHMVV samples, outside of the body, would degrade back into what they were, or just strands of protein, depending on their construction.
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (sable twilight)
I thought mages can survive space just fine as long as they don't astrally project or perceive or try casting spells.

so if they stick to that they can return to earth without loss of abilities?
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (moosegod)
However, I think HHMVV samples, outside of the body, would degrade back into what they were, or just strands of protein, depending on their construction.

would the samples reawaken when returned?
Jason Farlander
Anything dual-natured (or purely astral) is pretty much as good as dead once it leaves the atmosphere. Other than that, you should no problems unless you try to actively use magic. Banshees, formorians, vampires, wendigoes and dzoo-noo-qua are HMHVV-infected and are not dual-natured, so they shouldnt be affected by being in outer space unless I'm missing something.
Nath
I don't think the virus would return to a mundane form or disappear. Metahumans can go into space without becoming humans or being dissolved into primal proteins. However IIRC babies born up there are always humans (but do they goblinize when going back on Earth ? Damn, can't remember where do this come from...).
Neruda's Ghost
QUOTE (Jason Farlander)
Anything dual-natured (or purely astral) is pretty much as good as dead once it leaves the atmosphere.

Question: Does this include dragons?

I either haven't read it or I don't have the source book.
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (Neruda's Ghost)
QUOTE (Jason Farlander)
Anything dual-natured (or purely astral) is pretty much as good as dead once it leaves the atmosphere.

I'm going to really embrace my ignorance here, but I think I might have heard something about dragons hitching a ride on a comet or chunk of debris or something, and that's how they got to earth. Any truth to that, or am I on crack?
mfb
you're sorta on crack. Ghostwalker apparently used the mana spike caused by Halley's return to free himself from the metaplanes. that's not quite the same as riding a comet like a Harley, though.
Senchae
QUOTE (mfb)
you're sorta on crack. Ghostwalker apparently used the mana spike caused by Halley's return to free himself from the metaplanes. that's not quite the same as riding a comet like a Harley, though.

Wait, Ghostwalker was riding Harly? What's Frosty going to think of that?
Neruda's Ghost
Correct me if if this is all bunk, but about those photos in Dunkelzahn's will from Mars (the ones with the skeleton at the bottom.) Has anyone speculated what creature it is (dragon?) or do most people think its just a big hoax?

Yeah, those saucers do look kinda fake indifferent.gif
Reaver
QUOTE (sable twilight @ Feb 9 2004, 02:22 PM)

Actually, with filtering metamagic, you could cast spells in space. smile.gif

The bone samples from the "dragon" in the picture were proven to NOT be a dragon, but they weren't sure what it was. You'd have to play Mission Mars in the Missions adventure book to know the full details.
GoldenAri
you'd still have to be a hell of an initiate to get filtering to make spell casting resonable in space.
Reaver
QUOTE (GoldenAri)
you'd still have to be a hell of an initiate to get filtering to make spell casting resonable in space.

Never said it was easy, just said it was possible. wink.gif
Senor 187
QUOTE (mfb)

SOMEONE is a SR newbie!
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Shanshu Freeman)
QUOTE (Neruda's Ghost @ Feb 9 2004, 10:51 PM)
QUOTE (Jason Farlander)

I'm going to really embrace my ignorance here, but I think I might have heard something about dragons hitching a ride on a comet or chunk of debris or something, and that's how they got to earth. Any truth to that, or am I on crack?

I believe that this was a joking response in another thread.

As for dragons, my theory is that it's never been tested.

~J
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Shanshu Freeman @ Feb 9 2004, 06:27 PM)
QUOTE (Neruda's Ghost @ Feb 9 2004, 10:51 PM)
QUOTE (Jason Farlander)

I believe that this was a joking response in another thread.

As for dragons, my theory is that it's never been tested.

~J

Could very well be.

So are Dragons terrestrial then? Or do we not know?
Jason Farlander
Well, dual beings in outer space (including dragons) have to resist 14D damage every 3 seconds. The Body for a dragon (not great) lies anywhere between 15 and 24. Even with 24 dice, Mr. Dragon isnt pretty much guaranteed to die rather quickly.

Great Dragons have 25+ body dice to throw at it, which still isnt enough to survive. They may have some metamagical means of either supressing their dual nature or blocking the effects of a manawarp, or they may not. Nobody knows. (Particle Man)
BitBasher
Yeah, but an HMHVV positive person is going to be dual natured.

FYI: Vampires are NOT dual natured.
Jason Farlander
Hold on a sec... I feel something... coming...

QUOTE (Jason Farlander)
Banshees, formorians, vampires, wendigoes and dzoo-noo-qua are HMHVV-infected and are not dual-natured

Ahh... there it is...

I swear, some people just don't even bother...

BitBasher
OOps... biggrin.gif
Velocity
Shanshu Freeman wrote:
If someone were to transport a sample of HMHVV into space, what would happen to it?

I suspect nothing would happen to it, as it is neither Awakened nor astrally projecting. Hell, it would probably still be highly infectious.

Shanshu Freeman wrote:
Can an HMHVV positive person survive in space? (No, right?)

As others have pointed out, it mostly depends on which kind of "infected" you're talking about. Fr'instance, I suspect that ghouls would be in a world of hurt. On the other hand, there's no reason I can see why vampires, nosferatu or bain sidhe would have any trouble.

Shanshu Freeman wrote:
Could a mage or magically active person survive a a trip in space if they were kept cryogenically frozen for the duration, or would they still be harmed?

Again, as others have pointed out, as long as said mage remains firmly within the mundane world and refrains from astrally projecting or perceiving, they're golden.
snowRaven
Well, some sort of spell to simulate regeneration (or multiple Treat spells with lots of successes) coupled with a spell to increase body (hard for a GD, but with centering and karma pool and maybe a focus or three they could manage - or maybe cast it through a dragon-ritual...) and some form of the movement power (either threough a spell, or a metamagic like the one Horse shamans can learn) to speed up movement, maybe an increase quickness spell too...

I'm sure there are a few other spells that could be used - maybe a kick-ass Personal Astral Barrier would decrease the power of the damage? Or maybe using metamagic to make some sort of astral construct to protect them...

I'd say given enough preparation, a dragon could survive in outer space - at least for a short while. Long enough to go to Mars? Highly doubtful.

All speculation, of course. upsidedown.gif
Wu Jen
The way that I used to run it in my games was that if you go into space your magic will fail without mana or an eco system. If you are in a space habitat with other people and plant life there is enough mana not to go bonkers when astrally perceiving.

As for the HMHVV sample or a person infected. It would more than likely go dormant but when they came back to earth it would fully activate. Going into space would put the disease into remission and maybe some genetheraphy could be done to get it out of the system. (Since it wouldn't be active and trying to take over the system.)

Anyway its up to you the GM to decide how you want space to be. Just make sure to make it fun!
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (snowRaven)
maybe a kick-ass Personal Astral Barrier would decrease the power of the damage?

That would certainly be neccessary. No amount of Increase Body spells would help much against 14D per CT. You'd need, on average, 87 dice to get that down Serious, and you'd still be unconscious in 6 seconds. For a decent chance of surviving in space for any length of time, you'd need ~400 Body or more.

If you could drop the Power by 6, you'd only need ~65 dice to keep it up for maybe a few minutes -- which still requires a Western Great to almost triple his base Body. Dropping the Mana Warp level locally by 2 would allow decent survivability at ~50 Body -- I suppose that's attainable, but not exactly easy when you've only got 25 Body to start with.

So unless there's some way to significantly reduce the Power of that attack (by at least 9), lower the Mana Warp level by 3 or more, or add dozens of extra Body dice in addition to lower the Power or Mana Warp level a bit, dragons in space isn't going to work.
toturi
A drake with high attributes should be able to survive. Regeneration would heal all those wounds in 1 CT as long as it can stage down to serious.
Reaver
QUOTE (toturi)
A drake with high attributes should be able to survive. Regeneration would heal all those wounds in 1 CT as long as it can stage down to serious.

Provided of course that regeneration works properly in a mana warp. wink.gif
Austere Emancipator
That drake would still need some way of either reducing the Power of the attack or the overall Mana Warp level, because getting to the ~100 Body dice, which you'll need to stage 14D to Serious with any measure of certainty, might prove pretty difficult.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012