Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Ignite Spell
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Feb 21 2010, 06:32 PM) *
Just as a nitpick: a part of any automatic weapon's design is the cooling mechanism (even if just the appropriate amount of bare metal) to keep the barrel from overheating. A successful Force 11 Ignite spell will have greatly overcome the cooling mechanism. A red hot barrel is step one of a very nasty surprise if you keep firing.

and lets not forget... most weapons (as in the above example with OR3) will be completely consumed and non-functional (due to the inflicted damage) when they take that 11 points of damage...

Keep the Faith
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Feb 21 2010, 07:13 PM) *
You're still thinking about ignite as a shroud of fire applied to an object. That's not what it is. It's kenetic agitation until the object itself is so excited that it begins to combust. By its very description, the material in question, is on fire. It's not a fire applied to a target, but a target which has gotten so hot, that it bursts into flame. The material is the source of the fire. I guess you could compare it to the mutant power of Gambit of the X-Men. The mage excites the object's molecular structure, like some kind of psychic microwave, up to the point that it catches fire and ignites nearby combustibles.

Also, a citymaster would need at least a force 5 spell to surpass the "extreme" OR threshold of 4+, which is not that easy to pull off. Still it's too easy, especially for those "natural materials" like, say, a whole forest..
I guess just adding a "volume of affected material" qualifier to the threshold would calm the spell down considerably. Like +1 to OR/threshold for every m³ of affected material beyond the first. That way a tree with a volume of 3 m³ would have a threshold of 3 while a barrel of crude oil would have a threshold of 1 still. Meanwhile the citymaster with a volume of, say, 4 cubic meters of metal/material would have a near impossible threshold of 7 to set alight, though its tires would be a simpler threshold of 2.

If that were the case, however, then most fires that exist would extinguish fairly quickly with no assistance, which is not the case...

Keep the Faith
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Feb 21 2010, 10:13 PM) *
You're still thinking about ignite as a shroud of fire applied to an object. That's not what it is. It's kenetic agitation until the object itself is so excited that it begins to combust. By its very description, the material in question, is on fire. It's not a fire applied to a target, but a target which has gotten so hot, that it bursts into flame. The material is the source of the fire. I guess you could compare it to the mutant power of Gambit of the X-Men. The mage excites the object's molecular structure, like some kind of psychic microwave, up to the point that it catches fire and ignites nearby combustibles.

Also, a citymaster would need at least a force 5 spell to surpass the "extreme" OR threshold of 4+, which is not that easy to pull off. Still it's too easy, especially for those "natural materials" like, say, a whole forest..
I guess just adding a "volume of affected material" qualifier to the threshold would calm the spell down considerably. Like +1 to OR/threshold for every m³ of affected material beyond the first. That way a tree with a volume of 3 m³ would have a threshold of 3 while a barrel of crude oil would have a threshold of 1 still. Meanwhile the citymaster with a volume of, say, 4 cubic meters of metal/material would have a near impossible threshold of 7 to set alight, though its tires would be a simpler threshold of 2.

While the spell is being sustained it is exciting the materials making it burst into magical fire once it is made permanent it is a fire a non magical fire, a force X fire. I don't care if it is happening all through the vehicle if force X isn't above the barrier rating it is going out. If the object would not burn normally from that level of heat, once the magic is gone the fire goes out IMO. Without it going out you've turned a useless spell into a useless and brokenly overpowered spell. Its like giving the players a nuke, sure its useless in almost every situation but when you use it it breaks the game. For my games I don't mind a low force spell being mostly useless, I do mind when an interpretation of how a spell works breaks the game.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012