Delarn
P.58 running wild
One common weakness that all expressions of HMHVV share
is an allergy to sunlight. The body’s cells become extremely sensitive
to the ultraviolet band of frequencies in natural sunlight. Typically,
these frequencies are not found in most artificial light sources. You
won’t find many vampires or banshees at nightclubs with a lot of
black lights in use, however.

So vampires are infact allergic to UVs !
Starmage21
QUOTE (Delarn @ Feb 22 2010, 03:12 PM) *
P.58 running wild

So vampires are infact allergic to UVs !

which is balls, because now all of a sudden their allergy has gone from common to "i cant leave the house, evar", thanks to the highly common use of UV lights in clubs and such where they would normally make their prowl.
Delarn
QUOTE (Starmage21 @ Feb 22 2010, 03:20 PM) *
which is balls, because now all of a sudden their allergy has gone from common to "i cant leave the house, evar", thanks to the highly common use of UV lights in clubs and such where they would normally make their prowl.

Chose one :
Ultraviolet C or (UVC) range, which spans a range of 100 to 280 nm. The term ultraviolet refers to the fact that the radiation is at higher frequency than violet light (and, hence also invisible to the human eye). Owing to absorption by the atmosphere very little reaches the Earth's surface (Lithosphere). This spectrum of radiation has germicidal properties, and is used in germicidal lamps.
Ultraviolet B or (UVB) range spans 280 to 315 nm. It is also greatly absorbed by the atmosphere, and along with UVC is responsible for the photochemical reaction leading to the production of the Ozone layer.
Ultraviolet A or (UVA) spans 315 to 400 nm. It has been traditionally held as less damaging to the DNA, and hence used in tanning and PUVA therapy for psoriasis.

Not all black light have those 3 !

Edit : Commercial black light uses UVA and UVB http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_light
Karoline
QUOTE (Starmage21 @ Feb 22 2010, 03:20 PM) *

I don't think UV lights are -that- common in 'clubs'. Common in rave party type places maybe, or somewhere that basically only does rock music, but otherwise I think you'd be largely okay.

Another option is to house rule it that it has to be natural light that produces the UV radiation. Could be something magic related to real light.
Delarn
QUOTE (Karoline @ Feb 22 2010, 03:44 PM) *
I don't think UV lights are -that- common in 'clubs'. Common in rave party type places maybe, or somewhere that basically only does rock music, but otherwise I think you'd be largely okay.

Another option is to house rule it that it has to be natural light that produces the UV radiation. Could be something magic related to real light.

It would be nice that we manage to make a better cause than UVs alone. It make the vampire a lot less powerful (UV flashlights ! )
The Monk
besides they may prowl a nightclub but they won't pounce until they get outside.
Delarn
Or later, Con(Seduction) Can make you have any girls you want in your coffin !
Starmage21
QUOTE (The Monk @ Feb 22 2010, 03:52 PM) *
besides they may prowl a nightclub but they won't pounce until they get outside.

Are you gonna be on your game if youre constantly uncomfortable where youre at? Or worse, youre a Nosferatu and your flesh is burning.
AngelisStorm
Bah, if you require "natural sunlight" then mages will make a "natural sunlight spell," and mundanes are out of luck (again). Let the little vampies BURN; go UV!

Anyway, personally it would go a long way if they made their extra IP stack with other IP enhancements (max of 4 total, as usual). It's nice that Vampires are all "scary and fast" (at least compared to a normal dude on the street); but kinda lame/stupid that a Vampire Adept (or Deltaware Street Sam) gets no faster unless they spend over 2 power points (or Wired whatever II).
DireRadiant
Magic and Physics don't mix. It'll make your brain explode thinking about it.
Delarn
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Feb 22 2010, 04:03 PM) *

Tinker gnomes did that all the time ! They got in space with the giant miniature space hamsters also !
Brazilian_Shinobi
Not 3 weeks ago there was a thread about this, it got almost 110 replies. Here
AngelisStorm
(BBBBuuuuuuuurrrrrrrnnnnnnnnn! *maniacal cackle*)
Delarn
QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Feb 22 2010, 04:51 PM) *
Not 3 weeks ago there was a thread about this, it got almost 110 replies. Here

I know I was on there but I got the rule to back it now and I didn't want to pop that thread back up.
Daylen
how about a SPF 55 sunblock or better?
Delarn
spf 90 !
Caadium
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Feb 22 2010, 01:03 PM) *

QUOTE (Delarn @ Feb 22 2010, 01:09 PM) *
Tinker gnomes did that all the time ! They got in space with the giant miniature space hamsters also !

I'm fairly certain the Tinker Gnomes exploded at least 1 brain, and who knows what else, in the process.
Delarn
QUOTE (Caadium @ Feb 22 2010, 06:08 PM) *
I'm fairly certain the Tinker Gnomes exploded at least 1 brain, and who knows what else, in the process.

Yeah but they have the best reproduction rate wink.gif
Daylen
also, how does one know how not to explode brains other than to learn how to blow them up?
Squinky
Simple solution, give your vampire some Zero smile.gif
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (Delarn @ Feb 22 2010, 03:50 PM) *
It would be nice that we manage to make a better cause than UVs alone. It make the vampire a lot less powerful (UV flashlights ! )

I consider that a good thing. Vulnerabilities that you can just decide to ignore, hey I'm nocturnal aren't really limitations IMO. Let people go into vampire lairs with vampyre killing floodlights.

Every time vampires come up I think of darkwing duck and the Vampire potato episodes.

Red Tators you can reason with, russets they's just plain mean.
Patrick Goodman
I was wondering if anybody had, in fact, read that.
Tachi
QUOTE (Salma Hayek)
That's why I use SunBlock 5000...

Warning: Frequent use may cause skin cancer.
Mordinvan
I have a serious problem with this, the idea that some super regenerating virus can't handle a sun burn, but can repair you if you're physically on fire is beyond absurd. Guess its time for custom sun blocking nanopaste disguises, alleviate allergy spells, or better yet, a very highly specialized version of physical invisibility which simply deflects U.V. lights.

As for vampire hunting, get some custom made UV glow sticks, and put the fluid in a couple of dart gun rounds and hit a vampire with one, now he's got U.V. emitting fluid in his blood stream, and is not likely to be able to regenerate for at least the next 8 hours while that glow lasts. And given its carrying the allergen straight to his brain if you add a touch of DMSO to the dart, it should cause massive brain swelling and realistically death as his brain expands and is forced down his spinal column.
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (Mordinvan @ Feb 23 2010, 12:04 AM) *
I have a serious problem with this, the idea that some super regenerating virus can't handle a sun burn, but can repair you if you're physically on fire is beyond absurd. Guess its time for custom sun blocking nanopaste disguises, alleviate allergy spells, or better yet, a very highly specialized version of physical invisibility which simply deflects U.V. lights.

As for vampire hunting, get some custom made UV glow sticks, and put the fluid in a couple of dart gun rounds and hit a vampire with one, now he's got U.V. emitting fluid in his blood stream, and is not likely to be able to regenerate for at least the next 8 hours while that glow lasts. And given its carrying the allergen straight to his brain if you add a touch of DMSO to the dart, it should cause massive brain swelling and realistically death as his brain expands and is forced down his spinal column.

Are you saying you have a problem with the Vampire mythology because a magical creatures, magical regeneration powers don't make logical sense?

And yes that dart sounds awesome to me..
tete
nevermind misread post...
AngelisStorm
QUOTE (Mordinvan @ Feb 23 2010, 12:04 AM) *

Except that the allergy is only Moderate. No physical damage in game. Oh, and keep your "realistically" in reality, thank you.

But yup, UV bullets. Brought to us by Underworld. Just as UV flashlights and Flashpaks are brought to us by Blade and Vampire Hunter D.

Out of curiosity, why do you think a very specialized version of physical invisib is better then alleviate allergy? (Don't forget your motorcycle helmet or sunglasses, if you're going to try and go the sunscreen route. Eyeball burn sucks.)
Starmage21
QUOTE (AngelisStorm @ Feb 23 2010, 05:14 AM) *
Except that the allergy is only Moderate. No physical damage in game. Oh, and keep your "realistically" in reality, thank you.

But yup, UV bullets. Brought to us by Underworld. Just as UV flashlights and Flashpaks are brought to us by Blade and Vampire Hunter D.

Out of curiosity, why do you think a very specialized version of physical invisib is better then alleviate allergy? (Don't forget your motorcycle helmet or sunglasses, if you're going to try and go the sunscreen route. Eyeball burn sucks.)

Nosferatu have the severe version. Their flesh melts in UV light biggrin.gif
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Starmage21 @ Feb 23 2010, 11:20 AM) *
Nosferatu have the severe version. Their flesh melts in UV light biggrin.gif

I tried to make it so that mutaqua just burst into flame, but I think they talked me down in development. And I think a couple of words might have gotten chopped in development, because I seem to remember making it a little more vague than that. "...{S}eems to be in the ultraviolet band..." was what I remember writing, but it's been a while and I'm not close to my original manuscript.
Delarn
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Feb 23 2010, 02:01 PM) *
I tried to make it so that mutaqua just burst into flame, but I think they talked me down in development. And I think a couple of words might have gotten chopped in development, because I seem to remember making it a little more vague than that. "...[S]eems to be in the ultraviolet band..." was what I remember writing, but it's been a while and I'm not close to my original manuscript.

Thanks Patrick ! Can I tell you that running wild is awesome !

Edit: AWhat happened with the Protean in the 3rd ed ... they didn't pass to the 4th ?
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Delarn @ Feb 23 2010, 01:21 PM) *
Thanks Patrick ! Can I tell you that running wild is awesome !

I'm inordinately happy that you like it. Even more so that you seem to enjoy my little contribution.
Edit: AWhat happened with the Protean in the 3rd ed ... they didn't pass to the 4th ?

Haven't got a clue. I know there were quite a few beasties that didn't make it in there, and at one point John was talking about doing a PDF supplement to fill in some holes, but I don't know what became of that.

I've got an idea for a PDF follow-up for the Infected, but I'm not sure I'm going to be able to do anything with it because I'm starting back to college soon and my life's fixing to be quite eventful in that regard....
Mordinvan
QUOTE (AngelisStorm @ Feb 23 2010, 03:14 AM) *

Because the spell would completely route the allergen around you because according to some very specific readings of the effects of an allergy on a regenerating creature they can't heal while in its presence even if they are no longer allergic to it. But if the spell diverts or blocks to U.V. completely then you can't actually have someone use that overly stringent reading of the rules to prevent regeneration from occurring.

As far as eyeball burn. some good contacts should fix that.
Delarn
Alleviate allergy is just removin the effect you are still allergic.
Mordinvan
QUOTE (Delarn @ Feb 23 2010, 05:25 PM) *
Alleviate allergy is just removin the effect you are still allergic.

I've heard people argue that means you can't regen while in contact with the allergen. A spell which specifically blocks UV would however mean you are not coming in contact with the allergen, and as such could actually regenerate just fine while in broad daylight.
Squinky
I know I said this earlier, but why even use an alleviate allergy spell? Just does up on Zero, it removes a lot of allergy headache for vamps. Nosferatu will still take damage though....
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Feb 23 2010, 08:49 PM) *
I'm inordinately happy that you like it. Even more so that you seem to enjoy my little contribution.

Just wondering, were you the guy who invented the Temu? I loved them and I was wondering why they have no base price. sarcastic.gif
Mordinvan
QUOTE (Squinky @ Feb 23 2010, 06:05 PM) *
I know I said this earlier, but why even use an alleviate allergy spell? Just does up on Zero, it removes a lot of allergy headache for vamps. Nosferatu will still take damage though....

Cause unless you actually somehow keep the UV off you, you don't get to regenerate by some readings regardless of how suppressed your allergy is.
Delarn
QUOTE (Mordinvan @ Feb 23 2010, 09:13 PM) *
Cause unless you actually somehow keep the UV off you, you don't get to regenerate by some readings regardless of how suppressed your allergy is.

Point is ... alleviate allergy alleviate only the effect and not the actual allergy. Meaning you still suffer from it but you don't have the drawback.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Feb 23 2010, 07:20 PM) *
Just wondering, were you the guy who invented the Temu? I loved them and I was wondering why they have no base price. sarcastic.gif

Nope, not me. Can't remember offhand who's contribution that was, but I'll go look later and see.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Feb 23 2010, 07:20 PM) *

The temu is either Adam Large or John Dunn's creation; I seem to recall they both co-wrote that chapter, so I'm not sure who gets the credit (or blame, as the case may be) for the critter's actual genesis.
Brazilian_Shinobi
Well, thank you. I'll try contact them and see if I get more info.
Karoline
QUOTE (Delarn @ Feb 23 2010, 09:25 PM) *
Point is ... alleviate allergy alleviate only the effect and not the actual allergy. Meaning you still suffer from it but you don't have the drawback.

Maybe it is just me, but being unable to regenerate sounds like a drawback to me. It also sounds like an effect of the allergy. Since alleviate allergy removes the effects of the allergy, and being unable to regenerate is an effect of the allergy..... 1+1=2?
Dr.Rockso
QUOTE (Squinky @ Feb 23 2010, 08:05 PM) *

Aren't vampires immune to drugs and pathogens? Though I agree that alleviate allergies is a great idea.
pbangarth
Points on each side of the issue:

PRO GENERAL UV:
There is a lot of precedent in literature and movies for UV weapons being effective against vampires. The first that comes to mind is the cool-looking but terribly written Blade series of movies.

PRO SOLAR UV:
The sun is a source of complex, multi-band radiation. It's radiation may be different enough from simple, mechanically produced radiation to be the only kind damaging to vampires. The sun may itself be alive in the fashion of Gaea, providing some form of 'living radiation' that is anathema to the 'undead'.
Delarn
QUOTE (Karoline @ Feb 24 2010, 09:15 AM) *
Maybe it is just me, but being unable to regenerate sounds like a drawback to me. It also sounds like an effect of the allergy. Since alleviate allergy removes the effects of the allergy, and being unable to regenerate is an effect of the allergy..... 1+1=2?

1+1 = 3 in biology !
Drawback = Dice pool mods. The allergy is still active but you don't suffer the dicepool modifier or the damages.

I think that regeneration has this flaw to it.
From SR4a
Regeneration
Type: P • Action: Auto • Range: Self • Duration: Always
A critter with Regeneration rapidly heals any damage. At the end
of a Combat Turn, make a Magic + Body Test. Each hit regenerates 1
point of Physical or Stun damage. If a critter has already taken enough
damage to enter into Physical damage overflow, the critter is not considered
dead until it has had a chance to make a Regeneration Test. After
a critter has made a Regeneration Test, if the damage overflow is still
greater than the critter’s Body attribute, then the critter is dead.
Certain types of damage cannot be regenerated from this power.
Damage to the brain or spinal cord (for example, from a called shot
to the head) cannot be healed this way. Likewise, magical damage
from weapon foci, combat spells, critter/adept powers, or other
magic may not be healed through Regeneration. If the critter has
an Allergy, the critter cannot regenerate damage until the allergen’s
presence is removed.

The matter is not if the allergen actually does damage or not. it's a matter of presence or not. Even in alleviate, the allergy is still present so the Regeneration is not working.
Delarn
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Feb 24 2010, 01:12 PM) *
Points on each side of the issue:

PRO GENERAL UV:
There is a lot of precedent in literature and movies for UV weapons being effective against vampires. The first that comes to mind is the cool-looking but terribly written Blade series of movies.

PRO SOLAR UV:
The sun is a source of complex, multi-band radiation. It's radiation may be different enough from simple, mechanically produced radiation to be the only kind damaging to vampires. The sun may itself be alive in the fashion of Gaea, providing some form of 'living radiation' that is anathema to the 'undead'.

Vehiculed by the UVs ?
Dr.Rockso
Are eco-vampires allergic to SUVs?
Delarn
QUOTE (Dr.Rockso @ Feb 24 2010, 02:54 PM) *
Are eco-vampires allergic to SUVs?

Yes and they barf bacons when they are in one !
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Feb 23 2010, 07:49 PM) *
Haven't got a clue. I know there were quite a few beasties that didn't make it in there, and at one point John was talking about doing a PDF supplement to fill in some holes, but I don't know what became of that.

I've got an idea for a PDF follow-up for the Infected, but I'm not sure I'm going to be able to do anything with it because I'm starting back to college soon and my life's fixing to be quite eventful in that regard....

Do you know who did the juggernaut?? It is sissier than a basic 4 door car.

Sorry pet peeve of mine, the juggernaut went from awesome in 1e to mediocre at best in 2e to a total sissy in 4e. It was hands down my favorite paranormal creature back in the day with the best shadowtalk about it. Now I feel like I can pop it with a heavy pistol as long as I have the right ammo.
Apathy
But once you Warform it and invest it with a high force Ant spirit it's lots of fun.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012