Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: When good drones go bad
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
KarmaInferno
I would like to point out a very significant flaw.

If it is to truly be a murdercycle, it needs a total of four sidecars.

QUOTE (crizh @ Feb 27 2010, 07:26 AM) *
That's the way I always use a Heimdall, zero scatter for the win.....

This is extremely bad form... it completely ignores the purpose of a warhead... and how warheads operate.

Just to take some common types... HESH, self-forming penetrator, HEAT, etc....

They all rely on exploding prior to hitting the target, or squashing 'harmlessly' on the target then exploding. They do next to nil damage through kinetic impact... and if you let them kinetic impact the warhead would be ruined and not function properly.

Other ones such as a KE penetrators... for those who remember star fleet battles... Slug drones (missiles w/ no 'explosive' just the equivalent of a depleted uranium armor slug to slam through certain types of energy barriers). In that case, sure heimdall would make a great 'guided kill' kinetic vehicle. Probably giving it an armor penetration bonus to ramming damage from the 'warhead'.

Other rounds such as fragmentation... the entire point is the round is designed to fragment. The explosive bursting charge is small, and the damage comes from the spalling. Which is exactly what they'd do on direct impact w/ any kind of high speed impact.... they'd fragment on impact leaving the warhead neutered (if even still functional).

crizh
As I understand it the 'standoff distance' is a mechanical factor of the dome on the top of the warhead in most cases.

The front of the projectile is essentially a switch that is placed the ideal distance from the front of the shaped charge.

AFAIK YMMV etc...
Falconer
QUOTE (crizh @ Mar 28 2010, 07:10 PM) *
As I understand it the 'standoff distance' is a mechanical factor of the dome on the top of the warhead in most cases.

The front of the projectile is essentially a switch that is placed the ideal distance from the front of the shaped charge.

AFAIK YMMV etc...

Correct, I thought you were talking about ramming the vehicle w/ the heimdall for damage, then doing the warhead damage.

Mea Culpa.

It's sorta like when throwing adepts try to bean people w/ contact fused grenades... the grenades explode right when they reach the target and suddenly start to decelerate doing explosive damage, you don't get a twofer (throwing ad damage, and grenade damage).
Faraday
Found the perfect picture for my headless murdercycle. biggrin.gif
http://www.freakingnews.com/pictures/59000...Biker-59340.jpg

Ol' Scratch
For a better picture of how goofy these vehicles would actually look, there's this one.
Faraday
QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ Mar 28 2010, 06:51 PM) *
For a better picture of how goofy these vehicles would actually look, there's this one.

Goofy, but oh so effective! wink.gif
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Mar 28 2010, 01:13 AM) *
I would like to point out a very significant flaw.

If it is to truly be a murdercycle, it needs a total of four sidecars.

For reference: (first ten seconds)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5x89Ppl85k

QUOTE (Falconer @ Mar 28 2010, 06:56 PM) *
Correct, I thought you were talking about ramming the vehicle w/ the heimdall for damage, then doing the warhead damage.

Mea Culpa.

It's sorta like when throwing adepts try to bean people w/ contact fused grenades... the grenades explode right when they reach the target and suddenly start to decelerate doing explosive damage, you don't get a twofer (throwing ad damage, and grenade damage).

If you target something with a missile and it can't autosoak the 3P damage from a body 1 collision, then you've just wasted your missile.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012