Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Smartlink
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Doc Byte
I'm a bit confused. Is it possible to save one slot point by getting a smartlink as an internal accessory? Who would ever use a modification? Or is that just a matter of costs? (1.000 vs. weapon cost)

"Many firearms are equipped with a smartgun system, either off-the-rack, as an internal or external firearm accessory, or as a weapon modification." (Arsenal)
Tycho
Internal Smartgun and the Smartgun Mod cost both weapons cost, so there is not even a difference in price.

cya
Tycho
Rotbart van Dainig
Both the internal accessory and the modification cost the same.
Personally, I use the modification rules for internal things available as both as accessory and modification where I think they make more sense as a mod, and accessory rules where they don't:

So a build-in Smartgun is a mod, as is the Advanced Safety or a Gas-Vent system – those should be well-integrated. Getting a Silencer as a mod is better than getting it as an accessory, so it's a matter of choice.
Adding a Skinlink, however, is an accessory, as is an Airburst link (in fact, there isn't even a mod) and since a Smartgun has a Device Rating of 3, it's small Camera has Rating 3 as well, meaning it can take up to 3 Vision Enhancements as accessories. Upgrading it further needs the Camera Upgrade modification, though that can't get it past Rating 6. Improving the Range Finder is a mod, too – there simply isn't a corresponding accessory.
Dakka Dakka
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Mar 7 2010, 06:30 PM) *
Improving the Range Finder is a mod, too – there simply isn't a corresponding accessory.
There is a hint in Arsenal that other gear may also be modded:
QUOTE ('Arsenal p. 129')
At the gamemaster’s discretion, other gear may have slot maximums as well, though he will need to decide these values on his own
Mod slots without mods would be silly, so it is possible that other devices can be modded as well.
At least at my table an external smart gun system can be modded with an improved range finder as well.
Doc Byte
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Mar 7 2010, 06:30 PM) *
... as is the Advanced Safety or a Gas-Vent system – those should be well-integrated.

Why? Mod vs. accessory

Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Doc Byte @ Mar 7 2010, 10:07 PM) *
Why?

Because even the accessory can't be removed afterwards.
Ed_209a
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Mar 7 2010, 06:55 PM) *
Because even the accessory can't be removed afterwards.

Sure it can. Otherwise there would be no need for the smaller metal piece. You screw it onto the end of the barrel when you don't have the muzzle brake installed. It is there to protect the threads
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Ed_209a @ Mar 8 2010, 01:04 AM) *
Sure it can.

QUOTE (SR4A @ p. 322, Firearm Accessories, Gas-Vent System)
Installing them takes up the barrel mount and requires an Armorer + Logic (8, 1 hour) Extended Test; once installed, they cannot be removed.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Ed_209a @ Mar 7 2010, 06:04 PM) *
Sure it can.

I think he meant rules wise.
Method
I figure an accessory is anything designed to slide onto a rail or can be installed by the average guy with a little more than a screwdriver. Anything that requires more extensive work, affects precision parts or needs machining should be a mod.
SpellBinder
Too bad that rule quoted from SR4a is word for word exactly the same as in the SR4 book as well.

I would say you can remove a gas vent system that's been installed. You just replace the barrel. Doubtful that the heavy or extended barrel mods mentioned in Arsenal will come with or unequivocally require the exact same gas vent that was previously installed.
Method
If you were to use that houserule (i.e. replacing the barrel to remove gas vents) the extended and heavy barrel mods give you some precedence in terms of cost, time, threshold, etc...
SpellBinder
Not a bad idea. And definitely a house rule I'd use.
AngelisStorm
If it's an accessory, it's an accessory. If it's a mod, then it's a mod. You have a limited number of both; if you can make an uber gun, good job. *shrug*
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012