Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cyber for a Technomancer
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
lunavoco
It looks like my technomancer is going to lose a single point of essence to cyber/bio for RP reasons. Now that I have a point to play with, what else can i take to fill in some holes?

I was looking at Cerebral Booster and a datajack, so that leaves me about .5 essence to play with.

What's up with Tailored Pheromones being forbidden?!

Slightly related note, What do I need to run an ARE Virtual Person as a TM? Just Comlink?
Dumori
A data-lock implanted for seurical acessonly get the touch link echo and bam sucre only you data storage if any one can rip you open to take a look your screwed enough not to care you could enven have sprite on it to whipe it clen as soon as a physical device is linked to it.
Pat
QUOTE (lunavoco @ Mar 9 2010, 06:33 PM) *
Slightly related note, What do I need to run an ARE Virtual Person as a TM? Just Comlink?

Yup, just a commlink as far as I know or better yet, spend a Karma, and buy it as an unrated program converted to a complex form biggrin.gif

lunavoco
QUOTE (Pat @ Mar 9 2010, 05:49 PM) *
Yup, just a commlink as far as I know or better yet, spend a Karma, and buy it as an unrated program converted to a complex form biggrin.gif

May I assume that's in Unwired? If so, that's permissible by GM say so only for now.

How many BP would 1 karma come out to?
Pat
QUOTE (lunavoco @ Mar 9 2010, 05:56 PM) *
May I assume that's in Unwired? If so, that's permissible by GM say so only for now.

How many BP would 1 karma come out to?

If I remember correctly its actually 2 Karma or 1 BP. Using the unwired rules for CFs for no rating programs like smartgun and stuff. But don't quote me until I get home to double check unwired.

Faraday
Keep in mind that cerebral booster has a rating of up to 3, giving you an awesome +3 logic. If you don't need the logic so much, grab it at rating 1 or 2 and try to make it alpha or betaware as it will reduce to a clean fraction of essence and is pretty cheap to start. Very good essence return on investment.

Aside from that, I would look at a pain editor. .3 essence, 18F, AND 40k for standard, but +1 will/-1 intuition and ignoring the effects of stun damage when active is a BIG DEAL for mages, TMs, and even steet sams.
A trauma damper would be a good alternative. Only .2 essence and 8R, but also 40k. It would reduce any stun damage you take by 1, so you can deal with more fading at a time. Doesn't work with a pain editor though.
The PuSHeD genetic enhancement is pretty awesome in general. Only .1 essence, no legality issues (assuming they can even FIND it), and 15k. It's a straight +1 DP to all logic tests but takes a month to do the procedure.
LurkerOutThere
I recommend:

Cybereyes with smartlink and other visual pluses of your choice
Cyberears with the same and also encorporate the datajack
Platlet factories are great for staving off drain

If your not planing on going the mesh reality route level 1 wired reflex's will give you more actions per round even in the meat or AR>
Udoshi
QUOTE (lunavoco @ Mar 9 2010, 03:33 PM) *
It looks like my technomancer is going to lose a single point of essence to cyber/bio for RP reasons. Now that I have a point to play with, what else can i take to fill in some holes?

I was looking at Cerebral Booster and a datajack, so that leaves me about .5 essence to play with.

Platelet factories(sr4) for .2 essence, and trauma dampener(aug) for another .2

Enhanced pheromone receptors(aug) aren't restricted, like tailored pheromones.

PuSHeD geneware helps with most of your TM-ey-shit. Threading, hacking, EW - all logic linked

Pain Editors are hilarious for a TM, because you basically can't be knocked offline while its on, unless there's black IC involved, due to how their living avatar takes damage.
Johnny B. Good
Attention coprocessors man. I'll take all of the perception I can get, especially being a squishy squishy technomancer. Also look at getting a Rigger box in ya, so you get that nifty +2 dice pool for rigging.
SpellBinder
Sleep Regulator so you can stay awake for hours on end while you probe those higher end nodes.
Saint Sithney
There's lots of great things you can get stuffed in to a single point of essence, but since you're doing this for RP reasons, I won't tempt you with stuff that would be beneficial but not make much sense. (hurr hurr cyberfoot packed with goodies.)
Tyro
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Mar 9 2010, 09:58 PM) *
There's lots of great things you can get stuffed in to a single point of essence, but since you're doing this for RP reasons, I won't tempt you with stuff that would be beneficial but not make much sense. (hurr hurr cyberfoot packed with goodies.)

Cyberhands cost less.
The Jake
Nanohive and nanites are too awesome. I think everyone else has covered the basics.

- J.
lunavoco
I don't see Head Memory anywhere. How can I get internal, non wireless, storage without resorting to TM echos?
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (lunavoco @ Mar 10 2010, 10:05 AM) *
I don't see Head Memory anywhere. How can I get internal, non wireless, storage without resorting to TM echos?

You buy the perfect memory quality grinbig.gif
Aerospider
QUOTE (lunavoco @ Mar 10 2010, 01:05 PM) *

Any cyberware that doesn't just sit in place (e.g. dermal plating) comes with a computer which has effectively limitless storage. Turn off the wireless and you're done.

Then you have to take care of input/output which is as easy as a datajack, trodes or an external port.
lunavoco
Ok, so I can buy a datajack and call it a day?
Or does datajack count as immobile for this purpose?
Aerospider
QUOTE (lunavoco @ Mar 10 2010, 01:52 PM) *
Ok, so I can buy a datajack and call it a day?
Or does datajack count as immobile for this purpose?

Yep, a datajack on it's own will do just fine (sorry, I should have specified that better).
Ascalaphus
QUOTE (lunavoco @ Mar 9 2010, 11:33 PM) *

Well, they're meant to sway the innocent public, aren't they? It's somewhat like mind control, the kind of thing that makes Jane Public nervous.
Aerospider
QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Mar 10 2010, 01:57 PM) *
Well, they're meant to sway the innocent public, aren't they? It's somewhat like mind control, the kind of thing that makes Jane Public nervous.

The date-rape implications alone might be enough ...
lunavoco
QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Mar 10 2010, 08:57 AM) *

Double sigh. My wife and I have this argument all the time. If some lady rolls up on me with tailored pheremones, she'll quickly realize she wasted alot of money. However, if I ever cross paths with a hotie cult priestess sporting a cerebral booster I'm pretty sure I'd be in a world of trouble.

If datajack has neigh limitless memory then I'll take two just to say that I can store infinityx2! rotfl.gif
Aerospider
QUOTE (lunavoco @ Mar 10 2010, 02:31 PM) *
Double sigh. My wife and I have this argument all the time. If some lady rolls up on me with tailored pheremones, she'll quickly realize she wasted alot of money. However, if I ever cross paths with a hotie cult priestess sporting a cerebral booster I'm pretty sure I'd be in a world of trouble.

If datajack has neigh limitless memory then I'll take two just to say that I can store infinityx2! rotfl.gif

Could you elaborate? Why don't the pheromones do anything to influence you whilst the cerebral booster (bonus to Logic) is a threat?
Squinky
Truthfully, all cyber, regardless of its function has storage space. The datajack makes sense though for many reasons.

You can get that jack installed in a cyber-hand though, and still have room for a nano-hive in it. There are some awesome options in the nanite section for more cerebral characters.
lunavoco
This is a jab at an argument that my wife and I frequently have. It has nothing to do with SR specifically.

My outlook and beliefs are most easily influenced by a well thought out and reasoned argument, one that coldly reflects reality. I generally view emotional responses as interference. Emotions get in the way of clear thinking by -temporarily- reprioritizing our values in a way that affects decision making and opens us up to regret (bad judgement.) It's rarely (if ever) possible to understand all of the factors in a decision, but if we could I think the same decision should be reached.

My Wife on the other hand reacts from a core of emotion. Frequently she will make a decision and then chage that decision later because she feels (read: has a different reigning emotion) at the moment. Mood has more sway on decision making than reason or facts.

Side stepping the issue of right/wrong or correct/incorrect, both methods have thier dis/advantages.
One of the advantages of my thought process is that I am unlikley to be impressed or swayed by a "pretty face" unless her beauty is somehow relevant to the argument. But as I rarely discuss makeup techniques these days it usually isn't a factor.

It just seems odd that It's ok to give out stat bumping cyber in one category, but not another. I get the whole date rape argument, but shurely there are certainly enough non-nefarious uses for this cyber to warrant a lesser restriction
Squinky
Tailored pheromones work on a level beyond mental rational. If confronted by a person with them, even the most logical person would have a harder time resisting them.

lunavoco
QUOTE (Squinky @ Mar 10 2010, 12:08 PM) *
Tailored pheromones work on a level beyond mental rational. If confronted by a person with them, even the most logical person would have a harder time resisting them.
I can respect that. I guess if it's uncontrollably effective, and easily likened to a mental compulsion, it could be considered a violation of sorts to be on the recieving end of what amounts to a chemical manipulation.

It still seems like sloppy game design then. They figured out how to allow +1-3 bumps to other stats without getting the law involved. I'm sure a creative way could have been found here too.

• Advanced oratory processors
• Cadence regulators

There, I came up with two ideas in 5 minutes. CGL can use them for free, with no need for my consent and without notifying/crediting me. I strongly support an effective and legal option for Charisma modification!

(This message contains no snark or blame, only frustration. Viva CGCL.)
Tyro
QUOTE (lunavoco @ Mar 10 2010, 09:00 AM) *
<snip>
My outlook and beliefs are most easily influenced by a well thought out and reasoned argument, one that coldly reflects reality. I generally view emotional responses as interference. Emotions get in the way of clear thinking by -temporarily- reprioritizing our values in a way that affects decision making and opens us up to regret (bad judgement.) It's rarely (if ever) possible to understand all of the factors in a decision, but if we could I think the same decision should be reached.

My Wife on the other hand reacts from a core of emotion. Frequently she will make a decision and then chage that decision later because she feels (read: has a different reigning emotion) at the moment. Mood has more sway on decision making than reason or facts.
<snip>

http://ww2.cs.mu.oz.au/~rafe/sexlogic.html

John Cleese FTW nyahnyah.gif
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (Squinky @ Mar 10 2010, 08:35 AM) *
Truthfully, all cyber, regardless of its function has storage space. The datajack makes sense though for many reasons.

You can get that jack installed in a cyber-hand though, and still have room for a nano-hive in it. There are some awesome options in the nanite section for more cerebral characters.

But, if you drop in a datajack, you won't have enough room for an Ultrawideband Radar system to give you the ability to see through walls. At least not without over-modding the hand/foot with enhanced capacity. Which is entirely possible and costs no greater amount of essence...
Tyro
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Mar 10 2010, 07:12 PM) *
But, if you drop in a datajack, you won't have enough room for an Ultrawideband Radar system to give you the ability to see through walls. At least not without over-modding the hand/foot with enhanced capacity. Which is entirely possible and costs no greater amount of essence...

I've thought for a while that the cyberhand/foot exploit was silly :-/

You just brought it from silly to scary O.o
Aerospider
Idling through the gear section of Unwired I rediscovered nanomemory for a wholey Essence-free solution.

At 200 nuyen.gif per use and a 24-hour life span it's not the most cost-effective of data storage techniques and you'll lose your data if you forget about it and sure, it takes some faffing about to apply and wash off and it can be easily recognised and then of course there's the issue of environmental and combat damage corrupting the data and the fact that it has no firewall, but nevertheless ... no sod that, take the Essence hit.

Wow, that's an unappealing bit of gear!
Dumori
I can see a use for it but only if you are in an area where you cyber is turned off and you need to get that paydata out. And you're good at stealth really its a very specislies item.
Faraday
QUOTE (Aerospider @ Mar 11 2010, 04:31 AM) *
Idling through the gear section of Unwired I rediscovered nanomemory for a wholey Essence-free solution.

At 200 nuyen.gif per use and a 24-hour life span it's not the most cost-effective of data storage techniques and you'll lose your data if you forget about it and sure, it takes some faffing about to apply and wash off and it can be easily recognised and then of course there's the issue of environmental and combat damage corrupting the data and the fact that it has no firewall, but nevertheless ... no sod that, take the Essence hit.

Wow, that's an unappealing bit of gear!

Y'know, you could just get a commlink with a skinlink adaption and turn off the signal.
Squinky
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Mar 10 2010, 10:12 PM) *

Truly, you don't need the datajack for storage anymore with the hand anyway.
Faraday
QUOTE (Squinky @ Mar 11 2010, 08:40 PM) *
Truly, you don't need the datajack for storage anymore with the hand anyway.

That leads me to wonder how a datajack is necessary or even helpful to someone who is interested in hacking.
SpellBinder
Try uploading a data chip when the only commlink around is what's implanted in your skull.

Datajacks aren't prone to jamming, and not all nodes have a signal rating. There are, however, other ways around this to an imaginative technomancer that has no cyberware.
Aerospider
QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Mar 12 2010, 07:56 AM) *
Try uploading a data chip when the only commlink around is what's implanted in your skull.

It was my understanding that an implanted commlink (particularly a cranial one) would have a chip slot. Even if it doesn't come with one as standard it would be trivial to have one installed along with the link.
Dumori
Datajacks are chip slots.
Aerospider
QUOTE (Dumori @ Mar 12 2010, 11:56 AM) *
Datajacks are chip slots.

Datajacks have chip slots, yes, but so do commlinks.
Dumori
but a comlink deep in your skull as nothing bar DNI not even a sim module.
lunavoco
The character is completed now, thanks to the advise here.

I'll post the full specs and what not on the Motoko thread to show how far he changed through the design process after I finish writing the back story on paper, but for now the cyber ended up being:

Datajack (Delta)
Cerebral Booster (1)
Trauma Dampener
Sleep Regulator
Silky Skin

Originally I had a Cerebral booster at rating three, but the GM reminded me that this campain restricts Avail to 8 for Char Gen. We house ruled that increasing the grade of cyberware increases Avail by 2. Since Datajack is Avail "-" I can still take the delta version. When all is said and done I have the above + Cerebral booster 3 and this will come to 5.0 essence left.

BTW: by RAW, what is the Cyberware upgrade procedure? Bioware?
Dumori
take it out iut leaves an essence hole that you can fill. But bio and cyber leave too diffrent hole for you to track YAY. However holes can be turned back to essence (slowly) via an expensive treatment.
Aerospider
QUOTE (Dumori @ Mar 12 2010, 12:23 PM) *
but a comlink deep in your skull as nothing bar DNI not even a sim module.

There's no reason a commlink would be implanted any 'deeper' than a datajack. The description for the commlink implant refers you to the standard commlink description which includes a chip player. True, it doesn't specify physical access in the way the datajack description does, but there really is no reason why this functionality can't be included with the implanted link at negligible expense. I'd leave it up to the player to decide whether he opted for physical access or not at the time of implantation.
Squinky
Agreed. Its not specifically covered rules wise, but thats how I have always figured it.
Saint Sithney
Or, you could just have a skin-linked chip slotting armband that costs 80¥ and will interface with your internal com. That way, you can still claim that the internal comlink is hidden from view, rather than breaching the skin and leaving visible signs of its presence.
Udoshi
Fingernail data storage, out of arsenal 63 is pretty much exactly what you're looking for. Wireless or cabled read/write capabilities for 200NY and no essence.

Yeah.
Tyro
QUOTE (lunavoco @ Mar 12 2010, 04:29 AM) *
The character is completed now, thanks to the advise here.

I'll post the full specs and what not on the Motoko thread to show how far he changed through the design process after I finish writing the back story on paper, but for now the cyber ended up being:

Datajack (Delta)
Cerebral Booster (1)
Trauma Dampener
Sleep Regulator
Silky Skin

Originally I had a Cerebral booster at rating three, but the GM reminded me that this campain restricts Avail to 8 for Char Gen. We house ruled that increasing the grade of cyberware increases Avail by 2. Since Datajack is Avail "-" I can still take the delta version. When all is said and done I have the above + Cerebral booster 3 and this will come to 5.0 essence left.

BTW: by RAW, what is the Cyberware upgrade procedure? Bioware?

Delta clinics have an Availability of 24. I believe it's in Augmentation; AFB atm.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012