Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Scary Flaw/Skill Combos
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Digital Heroin
Alright, so I only have one at the moment. Picture this...

Demolitons + Gremlins

Even at level one there's a chance of a screw up which requires the object to be struck against a hard surface to work. Say you happen to be wiring the detonator on very sensitive fuel air bomb... eek.gif

Anyone got others?
Crusher Bob
If you are working with sensitive explosives and have the gremils flaw, you are not too bright. Most good explosives aren't impact sensitive, so why worry?

There are plenty that can go wrong with things that go boom, going off when smacked is usually not one of them.
Glyph
In the Cage Fight game, I play Rat, the face (by default), who also has the Uncouth Flaw. So you have a "face" who does things like burping loudly and wiping his mouth with the tablecloth. biggrin.gif
Panzergeist
Incompetence: Negotiation or Incompetence:Intimidation could be good for a laugh. Imagine saying "I eat pieces of shit like you for breakfast," or "We got payed way more than that when we ran a datasteal against your corp last year." And how about Aptitude: conjuring and spirit bane? "The force 8 storm spirit is summoned successfully. It attacks you." Or how about aptitude:stealth and allergy:grease paint?
toturi
Liar and Braggart.

Runner A "And there we were just about to grab the merchandise when suddenly, Lowfyr showed up..."

Runner B "You are a bloody liar..."

Runner C "Duh! What was your first clue, man?"
REM
A large troll with the Blind flaw and a heavy weapons(vigorous Assult Cannon) 7(9)
Equiped with said assult cannon.
Herald of Verjigorm
Liar, braggart, low willpower, griffon shaman.
If anyone contests his bragging lies, there's a fight to death.

Albino sun shaman with a severe allergy to sunlight.

Any oceanic totem + sea madness.

Anyone who takes hunted and amnesia...
Kagetenshi
Hunted, Amnesia, Mysterious Cyberware. Beautiful combination, that.
There are any number of nasty ways someone can screw themselves over with Flashbacks.

~J
Phaeton
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
There are any number of nasty ways someone can screw themselves over with Flashbacks.

~J

Are you kidding, man?! That's more or less the exact combo I took for my character! It's FUN!!! biggrin.gif grinbig.gif
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Phaeton)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Feb 14 2004, 11:59 AM)

~J

Are you kidding, man?! That's more or less the exact combo I took for my character! It's FUN!!! biggrin.gif grinbig.gif

Yes, but, you see, you're a loon. biggrin.gif

~J
snowRaven
QUOTE (Digital Heroin)

Demolitons + Gremlins

Even at level one there's a chance of a screw up which requires the object to be struck against a hard surface to work. Say you happen to be wiring the detonator on very sensitive fuel air bomb... eek.gif

Anyone got others?

Add on Incompetence(Demolitions), Color Blind and Compulsion(Blow things Up)

Or how about an Otaku with Sensitive Neural Structure 2, Simsense Vertigo, Incompetence(Computer), Codeblock and Choker

A decker with Jack Itch and Matrix Addiction 3
Panzergeist
Braggart, Liar, Vindictive.
Incompetence: Semiballistics Welcome to Delta airlines, we are now entering the stratosphere and oh shit a blimp!
Phaeton
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Phaeton @ Feb 14 2004, 03:15 PM)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Feb 14 2004, 11:59 AM)

~J

Yes, but, you see, you're a loon. biggrin.gif

~J

Oh yes. All that and Dark Secret. He went by an alias (my username here) because he forgot his real name. You have three guesses, Kagetenshi, to guess what my GM felt we should give him as his real name. grinbig.gif
toturi
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

~J

Not if the trigger is when you are unconscious. And the Flashbacks tell you the parts of your history that your Amnesia hide - like your name, etc.
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (toturi)
Not if the trigger is when you are unconscious.

Depends on how nightmarish your past was. You may end up with a character that can only stay asleep by either a stunbolt or drugs.
Jason Farlander
QUOTE (snowRaven)
QUOTE (Digital Heroin @ Feb 14 2004, 10:08 AM)

Demolitons + Gremlins

Even at level one there's a chance of a screw up which requires the object to be struck against a hard surface to work. Say you happen to be wiring the detonator on very sensitive fuel air bomb...  eek.gif

Anyone got others?

Add on Incompetence(Demolitions), Color Blind and Compulsion(Blow things Up)

I swear I had a player who carried those flaws around with him to each new character he made, without ever actually gaining the points for them. On 3 or 4 separate occaisions his first "demolitions expert" character almost got the entire party killed by bringing along a sack filled with 20 kilos of C-12, but, by incredible luck, and once forcing the entire party to blow their hand of god, they never actually went off. Circumstances (involving the character becomming completely owned by CATCo) lead him to retire that character.

So the next character he makes is, you guessed it, a demolitions expert. He also failed to learn the dangers of keeping 20 kilos of C-12 with him, though he did "learn" to keep it a secret from the other players. One time the team was trying to infiltrate a secret research facility, and discovered a locked hatch leading down into said facility. Not wanting to "waste time," he decided to blow the hatch.

The mage warned him that there was a great form hearth spirit in the room, but this bit of information was *ignored* because "it wasn't attacking them." The rest of the team decided to wait outside, but it didnt matter. The campaign ended that day.
Diesel
Who am I? And why are these people shooting at me?

Oh yes, I am soooo playing that next chance I get.
REM
I am playing a shapeshifter with amneisia, Flashbacks, And a severe allergy to something i have yet to figure out.
Also he has high charisma and looks like a girl. He is also Ambisexual.
Fun fun fun ^_^
Phaeton
Yes. Hunted + Amnesia + Mysterious Cyber + Dark Secret + Flashbacks = many opportunities for RPing a character to the hilt. grinbig.gif

*still waiting for Kagetenshi to list three guesses*
Kagetenshi
Hmm... Damien Knight? wink.gif
Burnout (or whatever the name of that cyberzombie that
[ Spoiler ]

Gonna save my third guess 'till I come up with a better idea.

~J
Phaeton
Nope. Jake Armitage. biggrin.gif grinbig.gif rotfl.gif
Sahandrian
I had completely forgotten that name idea. Anyway, they've only tried to kill him... three times so far. And they keep finding him, but he can't figure out why. This lead to him getting 6 physical, 6 stun, and using his bike for cover (which wound up with the bike at 9 boxes) at one point.

Phaeton, click this tag and the sniper doesn't miss next time.
[ Spoiler ]
Bölverk
QUOTE (Digital Heroin)

Demolitons + Gremlins

Picture it? Heck, I've played it! Though that particular case hasn't really come up much, as I didn't realize when making the character that with a Demolitions skill of "only" 5, both the street sam and the Face (!) are more skilled than he is...
Digital Heroin
That is pretty sad... I mean a face shouldn't have any need for demolitions, the sammie maybe, but there are better expenditures of skill...
Diesel
Negotiations / Plastic Explosives - 4/6.

Heh. Hehehe.
Sahandrian
Sahandrian is a Face and he has a high demolitions skill...
simonw2000
Just for the Record, Jake Armitage was the main character from the SNES version of the Shadowrun computer game.
Digital Heroin
I think anyone who's ever played the game realized that...
Kagetenshi
Those of us who only played it a few times before giving up in annoyance after being wasted by the Ork in the alley needed the hint.

~J
k1tsune
I love my current batch of masochi- players.

2 characters with both Amnesia and Flashbacks,

One with Hunted and Dark Secret.

Muahahaha.
GunnerJ
Last night, we were discussing the odities of a flaw one of the players gave his character: True Beliver in Chaos. The inspiration was the chaos style of magic in MitS. We asked the player how chaotic it was to have a limitation on his potential actions that prevented him from doing things to harm "chaos." I said, "It's sort of like an element of order in his life, that he has a rule which says he can't do something... wouldn't he be obliged to break that rule in the name of chaos?" The player then explained that he was part of a "chaos cult" and this stricture applied to avoiding any action that harmed the cult, or its leader, who was a "Friend in High Places." I said, "So let me get this straight: this 'chaos cult,' devoted to randomness and disorder and not following the rules, has a well-organized hierarchy of authority?"

We came up with a few alternate flaws in the same vein... I give you True Believer: Nihilism and True Believer: Self. grinbig.gif
Moonstone Spider
There is also the classic Monowhip + Incompetence (Whips). That tends to lead to badly damaged characters fast.
k1tsune
I wanna see a Quadriplegic Adept.
Kagetenshi
Quadraplegic and any of the following: Diving, Athletics, Throwing Weapons, Unarmed Combat.

~J
k1tsune
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Quadraplegic and any of the following: Diving, Athletics, Throwing Weapons, Unarmed Combat.

~J

I just had this vision of someone throwing weapons by gripping them in their teeth and swinging their head.
ShadowPhoenix
I think a Quadropalegic Adept with killing hands distance strike is pretty nasty, or worse, a quadropalegic with an oral whip biggrin.gif
k1tsune
QUOTE (ShadowPhoenix)
I think a Quadropalegic Adept with killing hands distance strike is pretty nasty, or worse, a quadropalegic with an oral whip biggrin.gif

The question is... Could it be "Killing Bite"? And could I essentially have him crawling around screaming "Come back here and I'll bite your kneecaps off!"?
ShadowPhoenix
Killing Bite I would so allow it in my games, it's just plain creative and makes sense for a quadropalegic to adapt his skills to meet his handicaps.
nezumi
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Quadraplegic and any of the following: Diving...

I've seen a character like that. His name is "Bob".
Feyd 47
That, was terrible, really, really, terrible frown.gif

Killing Bite I would so allow it in my games, it's just plain creative and makes sense for a quadropalegic to adapt his skills to meet his handicaps.

Can just see that in a news report now:

"A man was found dead today in a Belleview suburb, a lone quadraplegic was seen in the area at the time and Lone Star officials are asking him to come forward to see if he witnessed the attack. The man's cause of death is as yet unapparent but the assailant left a wound that one observer described as "One gross Hicky"...."
REM
buahahaha
any way
here is an idea we just cooked up you need to use the point system and get an ungodly amount of reasourses so you can buy a railgun and a vehicle to mount it on. then you make james the quadraplegic who was trained by the military to be nothing more than a brain for said railgun. he has intelligence of 6 and a quickness of 5 all other atributes are at 1 he has hisrating 3 vcr and a gunnery skill of 6 and a vehicle (car) skill of 5. you can justify his railgun because he is essentialy a part of it. He has since defected from the military.
moosegod
Like the military would let THAT get out of their hands.

IE- Any GM who allows that needs a good twacking.
REM
i never said it should be allowed as a PLAYER charicter vegm.gif
moosegod
Uh-oh.

This makes my wacky Scientology™(SM) thing look calm by comparison
REM
yesss. And the greatist part is you could have him working as a member of lone star.
k1tsune
Now do you want to know the STUPID thing about this?

He told the GM.
moosegod
I hope the GM gave him karma for his theft.

Assuming he stole the stats and everything else.
k1tsune
QUOTE (moosegod)
I hope the GM gave him karma for his theft.

Assuming he stole the stats and everything else.

The GM being myself. I'm not stealing it. I'm not touching it with a 20 foot pole. I just could.
REM
i could be scared yes. But i just enjoy spreading the genius.
k1tsune
QUOTE (REM)
i could be scared yes. But i just enjoy spreading the genius.

You should be scared.

On another note, some flaws (like "Vindictive") aren't really flaws for evil characters.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012