Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 0 attribute
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Ol' Scratch
The brunt of hurlg's effects comes from the hallucinogens, not the alcohol.
KnightIII
Personally, I am in the 0 attribute=incapacitated camp. But that being said, theres no definitive reason why it cant work with 0's or negatives. Though, this is an RPG. RPing is heavily implied as RAW. If you have drugged yourself to a 0 Logic, then I expect you to RP accordingly, with 0 cognitive ability. If you cannot do so, I'll GMPC you until the drug wore off. Do it alot and Addiction anf Burnout rules come into play.

Oh, and Strength RAW are pretty incapacitating. You can lift and carry Str x 10. 0x10=0. Your max capacity that number x 2. 0x2=0. So if you aquire 0 strength you can carry and wear nothing. You'd be buck naked and feel'in the breeze.
Patrick the Gnome
QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ Apr 6 2010, 05:38 PM) *
The brunt of hurlg's effects comes from the hallucinogens, not the alcohol.

What hallucinogens? Hurlg contains nutmeg, which in large quanities produces a hallucinogenic effect but certainly isn't on the same scale as LSD or a similar drug. No, the primary component that makes Hurlg do what it does is the 180 proof.

And I do agree with KnightIII that if a character was brought down to 0 logic and allowed to function, they would have to roleplay as slavering morons, but at least they'd be able to walk (and drink more Hurlg).
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Patrick the Gnome @ Apr 6 2010, 09:37 PM) *
What hallucinogens? Hurlg contains nutmeg, which in large quanities produces a hallucinogenic effect but certainly isn't on the same scale as LSD or a similar drug. No, the primary component that makes Hurlg do what it does is the 180 proof.

Really? I don't recall alcohol ever doing Stun damage to me, either, and I've had some seriously near-blinding swigs of moonshine before. Apparently, the combination (in addition to the things not mentioned to be in it) is pretty flippin' powerful. But to say it's purely the alcohol is stupid, especially since the rules themselves say it includes hallucinogenic properties, too. Bad science-to-rules? Probably. But this is Shadowrun. You remember Dikote don't you?

And, again, disliking a specific use of a rule (Hurlg being able to incapacitate its drinker) is completely different than disliking the general rule (being incapacitated by having an attribute hit 0). Don't agree that a single swig of a drink can incapacitate you? Fine. Change the rules for Hurlg, then.
Patrick the Gnome
QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ Apr 6 2010, 09:46 PM) *
Really? I don't recall alcohol ever doing Stun damage to me, either, and I've had some seriously near-blinding swigs of moonshine before. Apparently, the combination (in addition to the things not mentioned to be in it) is pretty flippin' powerful. But to say it's purely the alcohol is stupid, especially since the rules themselves say it includes hallucinogenic properties, too. Bad science-to-rules? Probably. But this is Shadowrun. You remember Dikote don't you?

And, again, disliking a specific use of a rule (Hurlg being able to incapacitate its drinker) is completely different than disliking the general rule (being incapacitated by having an attribute hit 0). Don't agree that a single swig of a drink can incapacitate you? Fine. Change the rules for Hurlg, then.

You can say its a specific rule but really, where else is this going to come up? There's very little that decreases attributes besides magic and drugs and the drugs that do it either decrease logic or reaction, with Ripper being the only drug that decreases Willpower (and really, when was the last time you saw a character with 1 Willpower?). In those cases of drugs that decrease Reaction or Logic, almost all of them only decrease the attribute by 1. Some of them decrease Reaction by 2 or more, with Crimson Orchid decreasing Reaction by as much as 3. But those drugs that do decrease attributes (Bliss, Zen, Red Mescaline, and Crimson Orchid for Reaction Reducers and eX and Hurlg for Logic reducers) are all illegal except for Hurlg. The ones that produce a -1 penalty to Reaction (Bliss and Red Mescaline) can be discounted for the purposes of this argument because their users are either going to have a Reaction high enough to not have to worry about hitting 0 or are going to be completely sedentary anyway. Zen isn't likely to be used by players as there are much better drugs out there that increase Willpower with more flavor than "A psychedelic hallucinogen, zen is popular among those looking to escape reality or seeking trance-like states." Crimson Orchid is just awful by any standard and is likely only going to come up if players are involved in a Triad drug war and are accidently exposed to the substance or poisoned with it. eX is most likely going to be used by humans or elves who will have Logic attributes higher than 1 and also won't have to worry about hitting 0. Hurlg is the only substance commonly used by a demographic of players who are likely to have a Logic attribute of 1 and as such is the only drug that actually matters for this discussion. It may happen that a low/mid Reaction character gets exposed to Crimson Orchid, but that's relying so much on GM fiat that the GM may as well have whatever happens follow his own scenario anyway.
Ol' Scratch
So basically you're saying that because it barely comes up in existing rules, the basic rule should be removed rather than those handful of minor and rare rules? That's kinda like saying, in real life, that if you get shot by a dart containing an extremely rare poison from the heart of the Amazon, you die within seconds. But hey, how often is that going to come up, right? Let's change it so that no poisons, darts, or anything at all, really, can kill you within seconds. Because, you konw, those poison darts are so rare.

ohplease.gif

Whatever floats your boat, man.
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Apr 5 2010, 03:04 AM) *
I mean we're talking about a beverage for Orks which causes 8S unresisted damage. That's not just a glass - not just a sip - that's a bottle. A big'un. That's drinking until you can't drink anymore.

Again this. Orks, Trolls and Dwarves take 8S unresisted from this cocktail. Humans and elves suffer that and -2 to all actions. This is not a beverage. It is a poison.

Sure, the big tough Troll is going to shake off the effects in an hour, but for that hour, he's going to be rolling on the ground with his nervous system all tore up and shooting sparks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012