Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I knew they'd ruin it!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Ophis
http://www.shadowrun4.com/wordpress/2010/0...gibson-edition/

Damn CGL!
They get rid of AH and now they release a new edition which ruins everything we love about the game.

Curse them, curse them to hell.

Happy April guys!
Headshot_Joe
You know, upon reading the preview...I'd give it a chance.
Stahlseele
Hey, at least it won't be mage/adept-run this time around.
nezumi
I would probably give it a go, if only for the awesome 80s of it.
Warlordtheft

You do know what day it is, don't you?

grinbig.gif
DireRadiant
Time to go Hack the Gibson!
DWC
I know I'd buy a copy.
Critias
Nothin' wrong with a little Cyberpunk from time to time.
AngelisStorm
... needs more dragons with assault cannons.
Draco18s
Not as cool as the dragons from a couple years ago.
Wesley Street
...needs less noir.
tete
LOL actually back when I started with SR we pretty much played it as cyberpunk, leaving out the magic.
rumanchu
QUOTE (tete @ Apr 1 2010, 10:22 AM) *
LOL actually back when I started with SR we pretty much played it as cyberpunk, leaving out the magic.

I've actually been kicking around some ideas of modifying the Eclipse Phase rules for Shadowrun, but the magic part has been causing me trouble; I thought to convert the Psi rules over, but magic in SR just does *more* than Psi does in EP. My current thought is to limit magic use to (basically) adepts, which would let me use the Psi rules pretty much as written.

ANYWAYS, this is only moderately related to your post...just something that I was reminded of.
Caadium
QUOTE (Ophis @ Apr 1 2010, 06:58 AM) *
http://www.shadowrun4.com/wordpress/2010/0...gibson-edition/

Damn CGL!
They get rid of AH and now they release a new edition which ruins everything we love about the game.

Curse them, curse them to hell.

Happy April guys!

And then someone looked at the calendar, and the history for pranks on this day, and said, "Was this the best they could come up with today?"

I mean really, if they wanted to try to get some buy-in I'd have suggested making a play on the controversy going on right now. How to do that delicately I'm not sure, but it could have gotten some people truly fooled and created a funny hysteria.
Dr.Rockso
Unexpectedly, Halley’s Comet was delayed by 18
months, and when it finally arrived most people were rather
nonplussed and really would have preferred to know more
about Latin America.

That part made me chuckle more than a little
Dread Moores
I think I'm most appreciative of how much Gibson is mocked. I like that, since he's so worthy of mockery. Most especially for his writing.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Caadium @ Apr 1 2010, 01:42 PM) *
And then someone looked at the calendar, and the history for pranks on this day, and said, "Was this the best they could come up with today?"

It was so over the top as to be painfully obvious that they were joking and making fun of Gibson (and stopped being funny and was instead painful to read because it was full of "hey, get it? Haha, right nudge nudge, wink wink!").
otakusensei
QUOTE (Dread Moores @ Apr 1 2010, 12:52 PM) *
I think I'm most appreciative of how much Gibson is mocked. I like that, since he's so worthy of mockery. Most especially for his writing.

We are no longer friends.
JM Hardy
QUOTE (Caadium @ Apr 1 2010, 12:42 PM) *

I mean really, if they wanted to try to get some buy-in I'd have suggested making a play on the controversy going on right now. How to do that delicately I'm not sure, but it could have gotten some people truly fooled and created a funny hysteria.

Yes, because after the past two and a half weeks, I'd found myself thinking "You know what's been lacking in Shadowrun circles lately? Hysteria!" wink.gif

Jason H.
kzt
QUOTE (JM Hardy @ Apr 1 2010, 11:26 AM) *
Yes, because after the past two and a half weeks, I'd found myself thinking "You know what's been lacking in Shadowrun circles lately? Hysteria!" wink.gif

notworthy.gif
Ophis
QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ Apr 1 2010, 05:37 PM) *
You do know what day it is, don't you?

grinbig.gif

Thursday?
Ophis
QUOTE (JM Hardy @ Apr 1 2010, 07:26 PM) *

Jason H.

Nicely put sir. Good gag from your lot, I was worried that given the troubles you've been having that you wouldn't do anything this year.
Critias

Yeah. He had nothing at all to do with defining the genre that's the only reason Shadowrun exists or anything. We should insult him some more! Oh, and make sure to knock that Tolkien hack while we're at it.
kzt
As part of our homage to Gibson we should all stop using computers and just use mechanical typewriters, which is what Gibson the technophobe used into the 1990s IIRC.
Emy
The joke is that Catalyst is releasing something.

Watch for the Gibson Edition errata, coming 2014!
Prime Mover
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Apr 1 2010, 01:02 PM) *
Not as cool as the dragons from a couple years ago.

Hey I liked this one http://www.catalystgamelabs.com/download/p...ers_preview.pdf
Draco18s
QUOTE (Prime Mover @ Apr 1 2010, 05:55 PM) *

Yes, that is in fact the one I was referring to as having liked muchly.
BookWyrm
Gods above & below, I despise April Fool's Day.
Stahlseele
i still want my battlerun 2 ._.
Draco18s
QUOTE (BookWyrm @ Apr 1 2010, 07:27 PM) *
Gods above & below, I despise April Fool's Day.

Hey now, The One Toad released Dwarf Fortress 0.31.01 today. It can't all be bad.
(And at least its not last year where Youtube and damn everyone else Rick Rolled visitors).
Critias
Battlerun, BEST EVER, was a fantastic product.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Critias @ Apr 1 2010, 03:37 PM) *
Yeah. He had nothing at all to do with defining the genre that's the only reason Shadowrun exists or anything. We should insult him some more! Oh, and make sure to knock that Tolkien hack while we're at it.

Tolkien never ridiculed or spat upon Shadowrun. Of course, he wasn't exactly alive when the game was released, but that's neither here nor there. Here's one of Gibson's quotes from 2003:

"SHADOWRUN: GAG ME WITH A SPOON. No relationship. No permission. Nothing. Nary a word exchanged, ever. Except that the admixture of cyberspace and, spare me, *elves*, has always been more than I could bear to think about. I've just been ignoring it for years, and hope to continue to."

I'm not exactly sure why anyone would need his permission for daring to include common cyberpunk elements into their works considering, you know, he didn't even coin the word "cyberpunk" and has even admitted in other quotes that people have as much of a rate to be angry at him for "stealing" from them. But apparently they do. Especially if they want to include elves.

Anyway, yeah... Insult the hell out of him. He's well deserving of it, the pompous ass.
Dwight
QUOTE (Critias @ Apr 1 2010, 02:37 PM) *
Oh, and make sure to knock that Tolkien hack while we're at it.

Thanks but I think I've filled my quota on that till at least the end of 2015. But I'll try stop by in 5 years if you really think he needs another piling on for the scores of flaccid, droning novels he has inspired to be written.
Delarn
For a company that has passed through hell, it's good to have them at humor. I can say dark one but still, they try to.

A+ for the effort and the courage to do it !
Dread Moores
QUOTE (Critias @ Apr 1 2010, 03:37 PM) *

Yeah, I should have kept the insult out. Sorry, I'm just not a Gibson fan. I never really cared much for cyberpunk by itself. I cared for Shadowrun. I never felt they were the same thing. I did like Tolkien though. smile.gif
Shrike30
Will it be shaped like a spoon, and come with a mouthguard?
(edit: aww, Dr. Funk mentioned it before me)
Critias
QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ Apr 1 2010, 08:13 PM) *
Tolkien never ridiculed or spat upon Shadowrun. Of course, he wasn't exactly alive when the game was released, but that's neither here nor there. Here's one of Gibson's quotes from 2003:

I'm not exactly sure why anyone would need his permission for daring to include common cyberpunk elements into their works considering, you know, he didn't even coin the word "cyberpunk" and has even admitted in other quotes that people have as much of a rate to be angry at him for "stealing" from them. But apparently they do. Especially if they want to include elves.

Anyway, yeah... Insult the hell out of him. He's well deserving of it, the pompous ass.

It's fine to dislike the guy, don't get me wrong. I'm sure he's as arrogant a prick as any other author with a name as recognizable as his -- even if they're not pretentious before selling a lot of copies, it sure seems to do the trick once they get popular -- and I'm not a big fan of his attitude either. I think it's silly for him to imply anyone needed his permission for anything, and I think it's unfortunate he never, apparently, even gave Shadowrun a once-over to see if he liked it.

But there's a difference between disliking him as a person and acting like he wasn't in any way an influential or talented writer. I can dislike George Clooney's politics but still appreciate that he's a wildly popular actor, for instance. Hating on Gibson is one thing, but hating on him and pretending he wasn't important to cyberpunk as a genre (and as such Shadowrun, which grew out of that, at least initially) is just kind of silly.
Dread Moores
QUOTE (Critias @ Apr 1 2010, 10:52 PM) *
But there's a difference between disliking him as a person and acting like he wasn't in any way an influential or talented writer. I can dislike George Clooney's politics but still appreciate that he's a wildly popular actor, for instance. Hating on Gibson is one thing, but hating on him and pretending he wasn't important to cyberpunk as a genre (and as such Shadowrun, which grew out of that, at least initially) is just kind of silly.

More than agreed there. I don't like the guy's writing. Who mentioned once that he wasn't influential? I don't think he's a strong writer (his style and my tastes don't mesh well), but he's certainly had a significant impact on the genre. I don't think anybody in the thread (myself included) implied otherwise. So, I'm confused why there's defensiveness for a non-existent argument.

Blue DragonFly
If you follow the rules of "geek the mage first" eventually every run is just cyberpunk with elves right? Dosen't matter what game I play casters go first, unless there are giant bugs real or spirit, those definitely go before mages.
Ol' Scratch

I never said he didn't have any influence. I said he deserves the mockery for being a pompous, self-absorbed twat for thinking anyone and everyone who wants to visit the genre has to seek him out and beg for his permission to do so. Screw that.
Ol' Scratch

I never said he didn't have any influence. I said he deserves the mockery for being a pompous, self-absorbed twat for thinking anyone and everyone who wants to visit the genre has to seek him out and beg for his permission to do so. Screw that.
darthmord
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Apr 1 2010, 05:59 PM) *
Yes, that is in fact the one I was referring to as having liked muchly.

I just wish they had completed the whole section...
tete
QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ Apr 2 2010, 05:21 AM) *

That would be most writers of any halfway popular novel after copyright law became renewable. Especially authors whos fan base has goobs. Face it there are Shadowrun fans out there who no one really wants to meet without first hosing them down and applying massive amounts of soap, then taking them to classes on social do's and donts'. Oh and BUY THEM CLOTHING THAT FITS!!!!
nezumi
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 1 2010, 07:55 PM) *
i still want my battlerun 2 ._.

It inspired my brother to make an SR4/Battletech crossover ruleset.

(However, not playing SR4 OR Battletech, it really didn't do a whole lot for me.)

But yes, I'd love it if they made more for the line. I'm really curious to hear more about their "Marisoo" character class too.
Stahlseele
I wrote a Battletech/Shadowrun Crossover Story some years ago . . i could claim they stole my idea, but i don't have any proof . .
nezumi
And well, you know... they own both IPs...
HardSix
At least it wasn't an announcement of Shadowrun: d20 grinbig.gif (Shadowrun: Drizzizzzizzzt Edition, now with 20% more angst FREE!!11!1! wobble.gif )
Stahlseele
QUOTE (HardSix @ Apr 2 2010, 08:42 PM) *
At least it wasn't an announcement of Shadowrun: d20 grinbig.gif (Shadowrun: Drizzizzzizzzt Edition, now with 20% more angst FREE!!11!1! wobble.gif )

We had that 2 or 3 years ago if i remember correctly.
BookWyrm
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Apr 1 2010, 07:59 PM) *
Hey now, The One Toad released Dwarf Fortress 0.31.01 today. It can't all be bad.
(And at least its not last year where Youtube and damn everyone else Rick Rolled visitors).

Granted, but I've never played Dwarf Fortress, so I don't know.

I was speaking a general despisement of April Fool's Day. Consistently, things have happened on AFD that have made me think in the past that I may have the Cursed negative quality. No pranks, thankfully, but 'every-day evils' that have caused me to have a few more grey hairs than normal, all on AFD.
Adam
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 2 2010, 02:50 PM) *
We had that 2 or 3 years ago if i remember correctly.

Six; it was 2004.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012