Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun on Ipad
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
pbangarth
QUOTE (Kerenshara @ Apr 8 2010, 08:55 PM) *
dark green is hard to read in the default palate.
It leaves a bad taste in your mouth? wink.gif
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Adam @ Apr 6 2010, 01:28 PM) *
I wasn't going to get one, but I've decided to get an iPad. Now, do I wait for Canadian pricing to be announced, or just get a WiFi one from the USA before then?

When the Canadian one is available, so will the 3G version. Depending on the level of wi fi access and where you use it, you might want the 3G version.

And a note on the e readers, the kindle app for example allows you to flip to light text on dark background which helps with glare and eye strain issues.
Kerenshara
As a separate thought...

Warning: Wall O’ Text behind the fold...

[ Spoiler ]

Anyhow, that’s my two centinuyen.

Based on Pepsi Jedi's report, the single most important function I was waiting for is as functional as I could have hoped. With the cell phone option, I can chuck my Air Card - I only need it for light browsing 99% of the time anyhow. And it shouldn't be long before somebody concocts an AP to turn the thing into a mobile hotspot, anyhow. Finally, the critics jumping up and down about lack of multi-tasking... I see something about OS 4.0 supporting multitasking, available summer 2010. No, this device is an absolute must-have for me... as soon as I can figure out how the hell to afford it.

Kerenshara
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Apr 8 2010, 11:16 PM) *
It leaves a bad taste in your mouth? wink.gif

Pallete? I'm pretty sure it's not Pallet (how many of those did you want me to ship?).

*Kerenshara smacks Peter with a large mouth bass*
Kronk2
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Apr 4 2010, 10:00 PM) *
Pepsi: can the iPad get web pages? If so then you can use random.org and use their truly random d6 roller. The nice thing about it is that you can select up to 16 dice. Not too shabby for an average 'Runners dice pool.

It comes preloaded with Safari, and can surf the web. Also it has optional 3g data service.
Banaticus
rpol.net allows 20 dice in their games if you're playing by post. If you're playing real life and just using it to roll dice, then use random.

Kerenshara, can I quote your wall of text on the iPad on another forum at rpol.net?
Kerenshara
QUOTE (Banaticus @ Apr 9 2010, 02:26 AM) *
Kerenshara, can I quote your wall of text on the iPad on another forum at rpol.net?

I don't see why not, so long as you credit the author. *wink*

I've had that particular conversation quite a few times IRL... I'm glad somebody found it useful.
Lansdren
although I am partly tempted to go the route of the asus eeekeyboard and a set of those wearable screen glasses for a cyberdeck look

Kerenshara
QUOTE (Lansdren @ Apr 9 2010, 08:36 AM) *
although I am partly tempted to go the route of the asus eeekeyboard and a set of those wearable screen glasses for a cyberdeck look

Yeah NOBODY on THIS board thought of that, or even considered buying the damned thing.

Thank gods for some of us, technology's real-life march made that thing as obsolescent as the 6th World comlink made the old Cyberdeck. *grin* Can't be a real gadget-freak using old tech, now can we?
Chrome Tiger
I would write a book on it using the bluetooth keyboard. I just happened to have one of the nifty aluminum Mac ones laying around or I would not have even thought of getting one. Still, screen size alone would keep most away from extensive word processing work on it. What I want is PDF annotation, but that is an app feature that someone needs to allow, not hardware.

This is a field that depends on the person. I can decimate my brother in data management and overall general operation on my iPhone versus him with his Blackberry, and he is pretty savvy in the world of Blackberries. Typing is the same deal. I went to the iPhone from an HTC Tilt and it took some time to get used to the iPhone's onscreen keyboard but now I fly with it. I am going to say that the differences between these devices chalks up to the amount of experience a person has with it. I can make my way around a Blackberry, but not as well as I can my iPhone or any of the phones I have had before. Not without using one for a while. Blackberries are excellent phones, well suited for their purpose, I just think that what you are rating against each phone has more to do with the level of expertise of the person using it.

Did it redefine the smartphone? Sure as hell did. It did not invent the concept, it merely improved on it. Just look at the market. After the iPhone was released, everyone scrambled to make touchscreen smartphones. That, to me, is redefining. Seriously, before the iPhone, smartphones were limited to geeks and business goons. Now, a large chunk of regular Joe Q. Publics either have an iPhone or some sort of smartphone that was inspired by or brought to market to compete with the iPhone like the Android, HTCs, Blackberries (though this was around before iPhone). And they currently own the largest chunk of the smartphone market.

The iPad is going to be the same way. There already are people that have actually used one that love them, a couple that have used one and decided it was not for them, and a oddly huge chunk of people that have never touched one that think they know everything about them and are usually bashing them. I own one. It is an amazing device, and I really do have a need for one in my line of work, being a Crestron automation programmer these make awesome touchpanels for media systems. Is it for everyone? No, and that is okay. For those that want/need one, they will likely be happy with it.

It has also spurred a renaissance in tablet/slate devices. Redefined the market, if you will. Just like when the iPhone was released, the iPad was announced and suddenly everyone and their uncles is developing a tablet device. The JooJoo has already been released, tagged as an iPad "killer" and already they have a 33% return rate because the thing is awful slow and not very functional. HP's Slate looks VERY promising, and I will likely end up with one of those as well, but it is reporting a 5 hour battery life. That is going to be the big hurdle that any competitor is going to have to beat to be competitive. The battery life.
X-Kalibur
I will fully admit to not having yet used an iPad. I also, as a hardcore geek and technophile, can find no way to justify spending that much money on the device. Book PDFs? I know it sounds antiquated, but I prefer my physical copies, I'll lug a backpack around if I have to take more than 2 or 3 (which is too large for my every day bag). As a long time PC and console gamer ( >20 years) I find it's functionality relating to any shared purposes I already have covered sorely lacking.

It's a neat device, sure. I wouldn't call it revolutionary, and as I've said, had they gone the route of actually putting out a tablet, I'd have been on board with it. As it stands, I'll wait till the 2nd or 3rd generation (which I should have gone with my iPhone. Launch ones were...well... let's say I'm much happier with my 3GS than my first phone). And while I could easily afford the sticker price on one... I find it a tad exorbitant, like most Apple products.

Actually, I could think of one great use for it. I'm an LVN/LPN, and they could potentially be revolutionary for Electronic Medical Records.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Kerenshara @ Apr 9 2010, 05:53 AM) *
Yeah NOBODY on THIS board thought of that, or even considered buying the damned thing.

Thank gods for some of us, technology's real-life march made that thing as obsolescent as the 6th World comlink made the old Cyberdeck. *grin* Can't be a real gadget-freak using old tech, now can we?

I hate to back-to-back post, but... You'll find that to be a major point of contention amongst tech enthusiasts. For example, I still use spring loaded keyboards for the feel they provide, despite being totally antiquated.
D2F
QUOTE (Chrome Tiger @ Apr 9 2010, 04:47 PM) *
There already are people that have actually used one that love them, a couple that have used one and decided it was not for them, and a oddly huge chunk of people that have never touched one that think they know everything about them and are usually bashing them. I own one. It is an amazing device, and I really do have a need for one in my line of work, being a Crestron automation programmer these make awesome touchpanels for media systems. Is it for everyone? No, and that is okay. For those that want/need one, they will likely be happy with it.

Since you seem to use in a business context, you can probably answer a question: Can the iPad finally fully interact with an exchange server or does it fail as spectactulary as the 3GS?
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Apr 9 2010, 10:11 AM) *
For example, I still use spring loaded keyboards for the feel they provide, despite being totally antiquated.

You and me both.
Stahlseele
What's so bad about spring loaded keyboards?
hell, if it would not be so annoying to have it all the time, i would use the icq soundfiles that make typing in ICQ sound like an old school type-writer to try and set up my complete windows like this . .
D2F
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 9 2010, 05:27 PM) *
What's so bad about spring loaded keyboards?
hell, if it would not be so annoying to have it all the time, i would use the icq soundfiles that make typing in ICQ sound like an old school type-writer to try and set up my complete windows like this . .

Then I am pretty sure you will like this!
X-Kalibur
I would use that forever.
Stahlseele
Me too!
Steampunk Computronics for the Win!
knasser
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Apr 7 2010, 10:50 PM) *
I think calling Laptops the new Desktop is a bit of a leap... and that might be a bit of sarcasm.

Laptops will never run up to spec relating to proximity of parts vs heat generated. Cost and Modification are also issues. I can build a tower that will run faster and smoother than a comperable laptop, and when future issues arise, I can easily swap parts provided the MoBo is compatable.

I don't know if people are calling laptops the new desktop or not (perhaps I move in the wrong circles), but it occurs to me that the capabilities of both are increasing. I propose that there is a cut-off point at which the power of a device is sufficient for people's needs and after that point, further increase of power has a low value. Assuming that both laptops and desktops can reach that level, then laptops would indeed be the new desktop because greater power of the desktop would be irrelevant. The issues then become cost, convenience of the form factor, etc. A desktop may compete on any of these in the right circumstances, but the point is that arguing desktops will always be ahead because of greater power is, assuming the cut off point of meeting needs exists, is false. There is also the possibility that tablets can complement a desktop. I expect to have some sort of tablet and it will be linked over my home network to my desktop which (if I were a bit more tech-savvy) I could probably set up to do heavy lifting for me. I'm sure it must be possible somehow to have all my horribly, horribly large spreadsheets from work running on my desktop and have just the interface showing on the tablet. Or at least it should be and if it isn't it will become possible.

On the subject of getting an iPad, it looks great and being able to walk around with a digital clipboard would be really convenient for me. But I owe this thread for the links to the Norton Ink thing as this looks like it might be better as does the HP slate, so I'm going to wait a bit on this and see what the competition looks like.

K.
knasser
QUOTE (D2F @ Apr 9 2010, 05:30 PM) *
Then I am pretty sure you will like this!

That is fantastic. biggrin.gif

K.
D2F
QUOTE (knasser @ Apr 9 2010, 07:20 PM) *
That is fantastic. biggrin.gif

K.

Yeah, he's built some crazy stuff! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012