Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: There are Two Loren Colemans
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
FrankTrollman
So Loren Coleman contacted me with a request that I think is pretty reasonable. So I'm passing it on to the dumpshock community. The fact is, there are two people who are in the public eye to one degree or another who are named Loren Coleman. And neither one of them likes it when they are mistaken for the other. This got touched on in the original thread directly, but nearly two thousand posts later and some sub thread lockages, this statement is hard to find. So here we go:

The ongoing discussion about Loren Coleman, who is amongst the slightly less than ten owners of InMediaRes LLC (due to some shady ownership transfer documents, it's not clear that anyone knows exactly how many owners IMR has), is in all cases the person we are talking about on this board and during the ongoing scandal involving Catalyst Game Labs (an imprint of IMR) and their refusal to pay contracted royalties and wages to creditor companies and their employees. He has been writing licensed fiction since 1997, and his wikipedia entry lists him as Loren L. Coleman.

This in no way refers to the Cryptozoologist named Loren Coleman. There has been some confusion about this, in no way helped by the fact that the Loren Coleman we are talking about in this ongoing scandal is listed in his bio at Fantastic Fiction as having contributed to a book entitled "Mothman and Other Curious Encounters," while the cryptozoologist Loren Coleman appears to be the person who actually wrote that book. The cryptozoologist was born in 1947 and studies zoology and anthropology, and does investigations into rare creatures and urban legends. He is, completely irrelevant to the ongoing travails of Shadowrun, Battletech, Cthulhutech, and Eclipse Phase. The cryptozoologist from Virginia at no point voluntarily withheld royalty payments to WildFire LLC, Posthuman Studios, or Topps Inc., nor did he ever have any such royalty payments to make. He did not voluntarily decline to write checks to his employees in contravention of their contracts, nor does he have freelance employees whom he is required to pay. He did not take unscheduled cash withdrawals from a company in which he is only part owner, nor did he sell the same portions of a company he was part owner in to more than one person and pocket the difference.

Indeed, if anyone from here is sending nasty grams to Loren Coleman, the cryptozoologist from Virginia over this unfolding crisis, they need to stop doing that. Because he is a different person. The cryptozoologist lives in Portland, Maine. The man at the center of a web of corruption inside Catalyst Game Labs lives in Washington State. The cryptozoologist used to do anthropology at Brandeis, the guy who took investment money to start Holostreets and then never authorized payment to a programmer to make that happen was in the United States Navy. They are, and always have been, completely different people.

-Frank
Voronesh
LOL?
Stahlseele
Thanks Frank ^^
hermit
Dear Loren Cryptozoologist Coleman,

While I am as sorry as any sensible member of this internet community that you received attacks you did in no way deserve, maybe this is an opportunity for you as well, to study the habits and biology of the legendary creature commonly referred to as Internet Troll. While the circumstances no doubt are unfortunate, it may lead to interesting opportunities for your future research once you find that Mapinguari and a Rat King (are there real Rat Kings?).

Also, given the nature of this game, it got *me* interested in *your* work, which means you just sold a copy of Cryptozoology: Out of Time Place Scale (via amazon, paperback). I am personally rather interested in cryptozoology. So, see, dear Loren C. Coleman, something good came out of this, at least. Unless they never paid you for this book, of course.

Finally, I congratulate you for establishing the museum of yours in Portland, Maine (where else).

Have a nice day.
hermit
The ongoing discussion about Loren Coleman, who is amongst the slightly less than ten owners of InMediaRes LLC (due to some shady ownership transfer documents, it's not clear that anyone knows exactly how many owners IMR has)

(...)

nor did he sell the same portions of a company he was part owner in to more than one person and pocket the difference.

(...)

the guy who took investment money to start Holostreets and then never authorized payment to a programmer to make that happen

In the spirit of Mr. Loren C. Coleman:

Ftaghn!

That is all there is left to say about Loren L. Coleman.
Ascalaphus
He had to be living in Maine, of course.
hermit
Maine. Kinda like this.
Ascalaphus
QUOTE (hermit @ Apr 6 2010, 11:47 AM) *
Maine. Kinda like this.

Cute, in a mild case of brain damage kind of way.
Stahlseele
Maine. Where Steven Kings: IT is set O.o
GreyBrother
Stahlseele, you will discover that many Stephen King Novels are set in Maine or at least pay a visit there. Comes with the fact that he lives there, i guess grinbig.gif
ketjak
Are Loren L. Coleman's royalty payments to Loren Coleman current?
otakusensei
Wow, Loren L. Coleman co-wrote Chronomancer for AD&D? I hope the IRS gets a hold of him before my old DM does. The things I did with that book, looking back I feel like a bit of a bastard.
Endroren
And I have to say that I'm a HUGE fan of the OTHER Loren Coleman. His website, http://www.cryptomundo.com/, is fantastic. He approaches the subject of cryptozoology in a scientific and skeptical way while keeping an open mind. The general readership has the same approach. Furthermore, they are "true" cryptozoologists in that they are interested in more than bigfoot. Any previously unknown animal is fair game, even if it is some tiny South American tree frog.

If you've never visited cryptomundo, please do. It would be a great way to say "Sorry for the misunderstanding" AND I bet you'll love the site. If nothing else, you'll find some great inspiration for your campaigns!

PS: Thanks for posting this, Frank.
Ancient History
Funny story: the other Loren Coleman (cryptozoologist) actually got a mention in Runner's Companion in association with his work on yetis.
Adam
Cryptozoologist Loren Coleman actually contacted Catalyst right around the time the company went for the SR/BT license, asking that they be clear when referring to Catalyst/IMR's Loren Coleman as "Loren L. Coleman."
Tanegar
Yes, yes, that's all well and good. But the real question here is whether the correct plural of "Loren Coleman" is "Loren Colemans," "Lorens Coleman," or "Lorens Colemans." rotate.gif
rumanchu
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 6 2010, 04:12 AM) *
Maine. Where Steven Kings: IT is set O.o

While I applaud the reference to IT (which is my favorite of King's standalone works), I would be remiss if I failed to point out that the bulk of King's fiction is set in Maine.
Blade
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Apr 6 2010, 05:22 PM) *
Yes, yes, that's all well and good. But the real question here is whether the correct plural of "Loren Coleman" is "Loren Colemans," "Lorens Coleman," or "Lorens Colemans." rotate.gif

Or Loren(s) Colemen wink.gif
Tiger Eyes
This thread is so exactly why I love Dumpshock. spin.gif
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Tiger Eyes @ Apr 6 2010, 06:32 PM) *
This thread is so exactly why I love Dumpshock. spin.gif

Innuendo? ^^
Tanegar
QUOTE (Blade @ Apr 6 2010, 11:31 AM) *
Or Loren(s) Colemen wink.gif

Personally, I lean toward Lorenii Colemanen, but maybe that's just me.
augmentin
Possibly uninteresting, dull, and irrelevant information-
There appear to be two IMRs:
The first is INMEDIARES PRODUCTIONS: DUNS number: 020543613: 10124 3RD PL SE, LAKE STEVENS, WA.
The second is INMEDIARES PRODUCTIONS, LLC: DUNS number: 620826110: 303 91ST AVE NE, LAKE STEVENS, WA.
Source: publicly available information at dnb.com, zillow.com, & "the google."
The first is a modest home in a middle class neighborhood. The second appears to be a PO Box.
Thought that might shed some light on the unclear ownership. I'm not sure which is dba CGL?
Anyone wishing to obtain more complete ownership information could purchase a report from dnb.com or hoovers.com.
Please be aware, if you purchase said information it may or may not be classified as publicly available. You may wish to speak with the moderators before posting.
I really need to get off these boards. It's rather addictive and unhealthy for me.
Tiger Eyes
From Loren "The Cryptozoologist" Coleman's website:

A Tale of Two Lorens

twirl.gif
Tiger Eyes
QUOTE (augmentin @ Apr 6 2010, 12:29 PM) *
Possibly uninteresting, dull, and irrelevant information-
There appear to be two IMRs:
The first is INMEDIARES PRODUCTIONS: DUNS number: 020543613: 10124 3RD PL SE, LAKE STEVENS, WA.
The second is INMEDIARES PRODUCTIONS, LLC: DUNS number: 620826110: 303 91ST AVE NE, LAKE STEVENS, WA.
Source: publicly available information at dnb.com, zillow.com, & "the google."
The first is a modest home in a middle class neighborhood. The second appears to be a PO Box.
Thought that might shed some light on the unclear ownership. I'm not sure which is dba CGL?
Anyone wishing to obtain more complete ownership information could purchase a report from dnb.com or hoovers.com.
Please be aware, if you purchase said information it may or may not be classified as publicly available. You may wish to speak with the moderators before posting.
I really need to get off these boards. It's rather addictive and unhealthy for me.

Yes, InMediaRes Productions uses a Post Mail Box (PMB) to receive mail (the 303 91st Ave address). The "office" is in the first home of the Colemans (which they retained and began "leasing" to the company after moving into their much larger, custom built mansion that was started in... 2007... ahem). The office is in a residential home in a residential neighborhood which is not zoned for business, to the best of my knowledge.

It is the same IMR Pro.
hermit
Jesus, I sure hope the IRS did not audition Loren C. [which stands for 'the Cryptozoologist', just to clear up any confusion!] Coleman when they actually meant Loren L. Coleman. That'd be scary. If so, I'd wonder why nobody had noticed they were actualy in Maine, and not Washington State, which is on the opposite side of the nation.

And I am SO keeping this me&yeti pic for size and looks reference for sasquatches.
X-Kalibur
For what it's worth, the Cryptozoologist is simply Loren Coleman, while the one related to all these dealings is, correctly, Loren L. Coleman.

Also, you'd be amazed how often something as simple as an address is overlooked.
hermit
Cleared up. Hopefully. I never meant to mix up Loren Coleman and Loren L Coleman with a third, imaginary Coleman.
augmentin
And now we're getting somewhere.Snohomish County Planning and Development Services public records indicate this may be the aforementioned "custom built mansion."Very Private.Incidentally, do Loren & Bull play on the same football team?

Edit: Links removed. Dumpshock is for discussion of Shadowrun, not the posting of posting of personal info, such as home addresses and phone numbers.
augmentin
Here's at least one thing the Lorenii have in common. Too creepy?

Edited: I've removed the posted links to personal information. Dumpshock is for discussion of Shadowrun, not personal voting information. Look it up on your own time.
Endroren
QUOTE (augmentin @ Apr 6 2010, 02:13 PM) *
And now we're getting somewhere.Snohomish County Planning and Development Services public records indicate this may be the aforementioned "custom built mansion."Very Private.Incidentally, do Loren & Bull play on the same football team?

I assume you meant to post this stuff to the other topic? Poor Loren Coleman is getting overshadowed by Loren Coleman yet again.
hermit
Considering the awesomeness of his work, Loren the Cryptozoologist Coleman doesn't deserve this.
Ascalaphus
Did anyone else notice Loren L. Coleman abbreviates to the same initials as Limited Liability Company?
Method
augmentin: I don't mean to censor you or play moderator or whatever, but it might not be a wise idea to post links to someone's personal information on an open forum like this. Especially considering that the whole point of this thread is that there are other Loren Colemans who are getting nasty communications from some idiots on the internet.
Lady Door
I have to agree w/Method. Posting Mr. Coleman's address and telephone number (if they are indeed his) is crossing the line.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (augmentin @ Apr 6 2010, 01:13 PM) *

Edit: Links removed. Dumpshock is for discussion of Shadowrun, not the posting of posting of personal info, such as home addresses and phone numbers.

QUOTE (augmentin @ Apr 6 2010, 01:24 PM) *
Here's at least one thing the Lorenii have in common. Too creepy?

Edited: I've removed the posted links to personal information. Dumpshock is for discussion of Shadowrun, not personal voting information. Look it up on your own time.

I've removed the links from these posts, as the links have nothing to do with Shadowrun, and are not only invasive, but could lead to harassment that we do not need to be the source of.

The links are saved in a private section. Upon review, if it's decided the links should stay, they will be replaced. In the meantime, refrain from posting personal information.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Method @ Apr 6 2010, 08:15 PM) *
augmentin: I don't mean to censor you or play moderator or whatever, but it might not be a wise idea to post links to someone's personal information on an open forum like this. Especially considering that the whole point of this thread is that there are other Loren Colemans who are getting nasty communications from some idiots on the internet.

Agreed.
Method
Glad I didn't overstep my bounds... I was being careful. smile.gif
fistandantilus4.0
No, appreciated though. smile.gif
Caine Hazen
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 6 2010, 11:36 AM) *
Innuendo? ^^

Well some people have been underware shopping with her... grinbig.gif
Method
I really must have missed something there...
Remnar
Those more interested in the cryptozologist Coleman, and other cool stuff in general should check out Coast to Coast AM (coasttocoastam.com). Coleman is a fairly regular guest and the show covers a wide variety of topics for a guy who doesn't sleep often.
Tiger Eyes
QUOTE (Method @ Apr 6 2010, 09:33 PM) *
I really must have missed something there...

Dumpshock meet-and-greet. Didn't everyone go to Victoria's Secret for the meet and greet at GenCon 2009?
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Caine Hazen @ Apr 7 2010, 04:22 AM) *
Well some people have been underware shopping with her... grinbig.gif

Ack, i hope they got her to model some stuff and not bull <.<;,
Blade
As long as they don't steal the underwear.
augmentin
While I would argue that consolidating publicly available information into a public forum doesn't cross any lines, I can completely understand fistandfabulous's [sp?] line of thought that it was inappropriate to this forum. For that I am truly sorry.

I would also point out that since it was publicly available information and anyone with a internet connection and google could find the same information. My tips in this forum on where to look should probably be deleted in addition to the links.

Side note: how does one go about contacting a moderator around here, anyway? I spent more time trying to find a moderator than it took me to find said inappropriate links. Thanks!
Lady Door
Unless I'm mistaken, if you click on the mods/members name a drop down menu appears and one of the options is Send Message.
Draco18s
QUOTE (hermit @ Apr 6 2010, 06:47 AM) *
Maine. Kinda like this.

Oh [elder] god. Yes.

A very scary Solstice indeed.

*Hums Carol of the Old Ones*
o/` Up from the sea, from underground
Down from the sky, they're all around
They will return: mankind will learn
New kinds of fear when they are here o/`
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012