Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GE Autocannons and firing them...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Jonny Reload
In Arsenal, I was looking at the GE Autocannons under Vehicle Weapons, it states the Autocannons use the rules for Miniguns. My question is under the rules for Miniguns, it doesn't state you need to waste a simple action to get the barrels rotating. It only states that under the Vindicator section, do Autocannons need to spend a simple action to get the barrels rotating or can you just press and destroy?
nezumi
Autocannons have only a single barrel, so no, you don't need an action for that. You do, however, need the weapon to be braced, since it's too large for a metahuman (except, possibly, trolls) to haul around and actually use.
Jonny Reload
Oh pfff, screw that that. It's mounted on a vehicle, I'm not even gonna try to start min/maxing how to recoil compensate a -15 grinbig.gif
Dumori
Oh its easy-ish XD High Str. gyro-harness, foot anchors, gas vent and what ever else can but put on a minigun should be 10-12 min. Though autocannons cant made man-portable by RAW.
hobgoblin
just watch out for the doubling of uncompensated recoil when firing heavy weapons...
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Dumori @ Apr 7 2010, 11:49 PM) *
Oh its easy-ish XD High Str. gyro-harness, foot anchors, gas vent and what ever else can but put on a minigun should be 10-12 min. Though autocannons cant made man-portable by RAW.

Even if your "Man" can lift and carry and throw Motorcycles? O.o
See Trolls/Metavariants/Ghouls and Drakes for example. Maybe even Shape-Shifters.
And yeah, Recoil-Compensation of 12 means still missing 3 points which are doubles to 6.
Still a big dent in the dice pool . .
X-Kalibur
Lifting/throwing is very different though, you aren't holding it for a long period of time in a braced position and taking recoil.
Udoshi
QUOTE (Jonny Reload @ Apr 7 2010, 02:08 PM) *
Oh pfff, screw that that. It's mounted on a vehicle, I'm not even gonna try to start min/maxing how to recoil compensate a -15 grinbig.gif

I keep on hearing/remembering a rule that says vehicle mounted weapons don't suffer recoil (which is why the not-so-optional arsenal optional rule of RC=body exists), but IS there actually a ruling that says so?
Faraday
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 7 2010, 03:28 PM) *
See Trolls/Metavariants/Ghouls and Drakes for example. Maybe even Shape-Shifters.
And yeah, Recoil-Compensation of 12 means still missing 3 points which are doubles to 6.

Yeah, your choice of +15 DV or a -15 to *their* dodge dice is, like, nothing. Why would you even bother?
Udoshi
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 7 2010, 03:28 PM) *

Give it to a Cyborg. Between their high strength(and boostable with cyberlimb strength enhancements), and a Body Stabilizer, getting 3 more points of RC shouldn't be too hard - hitting strength 14 can handle those last 3 points of RC.

... of course, you could just put it on a cyborg with a Weapon Mount and a Gyro Link(turret required), and do the same thing while -sprinting- about at no penalty.
Dumori
That body 10 combat drone (for get the name) is nasty for that. I mean when you have a 11 base DV autocannon for one arm and the other has an inbuilt AR/GL all using the same skill and plus its quite possible to ad a spur or such in to the mix. On top of 20 hardened armor and such makes for a very nasty drone.
Dumori
QUOTE (Udoshi @ Apr 8 2010, 12:02 AM) *
I keep on hearing/remembering a rule that says vehicle mounted weapons don't suffer recoil (which is why the not-so-optional arsenal optional rule of RC=body exists), but IS there actually a ruling that says so?

Read arsenal. Just before the rules on weapon mounts iirc
Jonny Reload
QUOTE (Udoshi @ Apr 8 2010, 12:02 AM) *

Page 105, Arsenal
Udoshi
QUOTE (Jonny Reload @ Apr 7 2010, 05:11 PM) *
Page 105, Arsenal

That's the one I knew about. Rather, the first line of it: "Theoretically, vehicle weapons mounted in a weapon mount do not suffer negative recoil modifiers". Great. Now where's the rule that says -that- is true. Is it in the core book somewhere? Or was it one of the rules taken out in Anniversary edition. Because as far as I can tell, without Arsenal, vehicles get no recoil-love at -all-.
Faraday
QUOTE (Udoshi @ Apr 7 2010, 05:21 PM) *
That's the one I knew about. Rather, the first line of it: "Theoretically, vehicle weapons mounted in a weapon mount do not suffer negative recoil modifiers". Great. Now where's the rule that says -that- is true. Is it in the core book somewhere? Or was it one of the rules taken out in Anniversary edition. Because as far as I can tell, without Arsenal, vehicles get no recoil-love at -all-.
That's because, theoretically, they don't need any. They just ignore recoil and go about their day. The point is that a 5 ton vehicle isn't going to care about the puny forces emitted by a 10 pound assault rifle.
Faraday
Needs less double post.
D2F
QUOTE (nezumi @ Apr 7 2010, 09:32 PM) *
Autocannons have only a single barrel, so no, you don't need an action for that. You do, however, need the weapon to be braced, since it's too large for a metahuman (except, possibly, trolls) to haul around and actually use.

It is reasonable to assume that the GE autocannons from arsenal are actually multi-barreled rotary autocannons. Very much like this one!
Jonny Reload
QUOTE (D2F @ Apr 8 2010, 03:55 AM) *
It is reasonable to assume that the GE autocannons from arsenal are actually multi-barreled rotary autocannons. Very much like this one!

Actually, under the the Light GE Autocannon, it specifically states it is similar in model to the Vindicator Minigun.... I'd assume their talking about the barrel system otherwise why even mention it.
D2F
QUOTE (Jonny Reload @ Apr 8 2010, 04:08 AM) *
Actually, under the the Light GE Autocannon, it specifically states it is similar in model to the Vindicator Minigun.... I'd assume their talking about the barrel system otherwise why even mention it.

That's why I said it's reasonable to assume wink.gif
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (Jonny Reload @ Apr 7 2010, 07:08 PM) *

Because It can only fire FA bursts at 20 rounds/pass?

As for why it may not be a gatling system such as the Avenger, perhaps this picture might best explain it. I dunno though. I only know that it never mentions the need to spin up to speed, so I always pictured it like the old double-barreled AA guns. You know, where it fires from two independent barrels using two independent mechanisms to give it twice as long to recoil each time. Those 30mm suckers are so big, it's just silly.
Stahlseele
No, Silly is what you can get up to with reasonable firing speed.
8.8cm FLAK/PAK for example.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HK_GMW < = there's a nice example of silly that might pass as an Autocannon.
40mm fully automatic grenade launcher.
Sengir
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 8 2010, 09:24 AM) *
No, Silly is what you can get up to with reasonable firing speed.
8.8cm FLAK/PAK for example.

The 88 was still loaded manually, though wink.gif

But the word "autocannon" really can mean a lot of things: Gatling guns, revolver cannons, chainguns, gas/recoil-operated systems with one or more barrels...and while probably most people agree that something like the PzH 2000 (which even has a burst-fire mode for three shells) or naval artillery with autoloaders does not qualify as autocannon, drawing the exact line between "autocannon" and "cannon with autoloader" is difficult.
Stahlseele
And it's STILL firing pretty fast.
Sengir
Pre-tuned by German engineers grinbig.gif
Stahlseele
Building Killing Stuff. German Engineering Corps. We are the best at what we do, and what we do ain't nice!
nezumi
Sorry, I was thinking ASSAULT cannons. I don't know that I'm familiar with any auto cannons. You can safely ignore my comments smile.gif
augmentin
When I was a grunt 12 years ago, our battalion had 3 of these. That's 3 per 800 marines or so. Each required a four man team to operate. Hearing protection or no, when they fire, they have an extremely gratifying thump-thump-thump-thump (pause) boom-boom-boom-boom. Usually, they are mounded to a HMMWV or light armor, but I've seen them man packed. Well, really several men packed and no one was ever happy about it. The point is with a tripod, it's doable. Now if 4 marines each, say STR4 could do it, could our STR15 zombietroll?

Heck, it makes we want to create a character just thinking about it.
D2F
QUOTE (augmentin @ Apr 8 2010, 02:37 PM) *
When I was a grunt 12 years ago, our battalion had 3 of these. That's 3 per 800 marines or so. Each required a four man team to operate. Hearing protection or no, when they fire, they have an extremely gratifying thump-thump-thump-thump (pause) boom-boom-boom-boom. Usually, they are mounded to a HMMWV or light armor, but I've seen them man packed. Well, really several men packed and no one was ever happy about it. The point is with a tripod, it's doable. Now if 4 marines each, say STR4 could do it, could our STR15 zombietroll?

That's not an autocannon, though.
Dumori
Do we care wink.gif
Tyro
More dakka!
knasser
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 8 2010, 12:50 PM) *
Building Killing Stuff. German Engineering Corps. We are the best at what we do, and what we do ain't nice!

Now that's a quote. Definitely going to crop up in a game of mine! biggrin.gif

K.
Stahlseele
Tell them "who'se responsible this" if they moan about having to fight german super science weapons built by Saeder-Krupp or one of the other German Megas ^^
Kid Chameleon
Sadly when I worked for GE, we didn't get the corporate discount on miniguns.
Stahlseele
Who or what is GE and did they allready have those when you were working there oldtimer? *snickers*
Kid Chameleon
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 9 2010, 01:37 PM) *
Who or what is GE and did they allready have those when you were working there oldtimer? *snickers*

General Electric? The company Edison started and is one of the biggest in the world. I'm not that old. Yet.
D2F
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 9 2010, 07:37 PM) *

GE = "General Electric" One of the biggest US corps. A true Megacorp. Dabbling into anything from medicine to military. Including heavy industry.

EDIT: damn, Kid was fater =)
Eratosthenes
More importantly, GE made this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M61A1
D2F
QUOTE (Eratosthenes @ Apr 9 2010, 07:53 PM) *
More importantly, GE made this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M61A1

Too small nyahnyah.gif
Sengir
Megalomania Industries presents: The Rotary Automatic Dora 800. When thor shots are just too ordinary
Stahlseele
*shrugs*
not good with american corporations, especially not with the abbreviations being used for their names
D2F
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 9 2010, 08:59 PM) *
*shrugs*
not good with american corporations, especially not with the abbreviations being used for their names

I highly doubt anyone expected you to be. It's rather specific knowledge.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (augmentin @ Apr 8 2010, 08:37 AM) *

Yeah, the Mk. 19 is a nice weapons system... Pretty reliable, lots of Bang... Mmmmmmmm Destruction...
And the Vulcan Cannon... is a beauty to behold...

Keep the Faith
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012