Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SotA Targets
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Prime Mover
So I think there was a similar post awhile back and with some new folks being around lately I thought it might be interesting to revisit.
Years ago back in first edition I ran alot of games involving datasteals,extractions and object retrievals. Bread and butter stuff.
One that stands out from first edition was the team running into a state of the art rigger capable cyborg. R.O.C.(Rigger Operated Cyborg) 13.
Imagine my glee when 3 editions later someone put pretty much exactly what I had used into cannon. My players glared at me as if I had something to do with it.

Some time ago there was mention of a book proposal that never made it to print involving weird science/corporate research. I think this would have been a great gaming tool.

So this brings me to the end of my rambling and to my question. What state of the art or unique magic/tech has shown up in your games?
Tell us about your most outlandish/memorable creations.
Rotbart van Dainig
Back in SR3, I had a biodrone kraken being used as a biological fork-lifter. On Mars.
It played a bit of peek-a-boo through the shelves and crates in the in storage facility, then bitch-slapped the finder.
MJBurrage
Stirrup WIMPS do exist smile.gif
Prime Mover
Kraken could be fun, would luv to see more warforms statted out.
As far as the wimps I've gone that route as well. Hell ya gotta have an army of Vat Grown Ninja's (V.G.N.'s).
Aerospider
In my uni days, as an end of term 'fun run', had the whole team kidnapped and dumped in Steve Jackson Games' Warehouse 23. [Can't do the proper link right now, but I imagine it will probably still be there at sjgames.com.]

Warehouse 23 was modelled on the government warehouse at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark where they kept all the Secrets Man Was Not Meant To Know. On the website people could submit their ideas for what might be kept in there and you could 'open' crate after crate to read randomly selected submissions ranging from adventuring items (often with stats) to real life conspiracy theories (like proof that JFK was killed by Elvis) to truly bizarre stuff.

So I printed a load of the more interactive ones off, added some of my own and put them all in a bag to draw from. The characters each awoke in a separate crate and had to open other crates at random (whilst avoiding/fighting the warehouse security) until they found a way out which IIRC made use of a wormholey-thing to get outside (there being no doors or windows) and an inflatable rigger (for one of the staff helicopters). Very silly fun.
Dr.Rockso
QUOTE (Aerospider @ Apr 28 2010, 10:51 AM) *
In my uni days, as an end of term 'fun run', had the whole team kidnapped and dumped in Steve Jackson Games' Warehouse 23. [Can't do the proper link right now, but I imagine it will probably still be there at sjgames.com.]

Warehouse 23 was modelled on the government warehouse at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark where they kept all the Secrets Man Was Not Meant To Know. On the website people could submit their ideas for what might be kept in there and you could 'open' crate after crate to read randomly selected submissions ranging from adventuring items (often with stats) to real life conspiracy theories (like proof that JFK was killed by Elvis) to truly bizarre stuff.

So I printed a load of the more interactive ones off, added some of my own and put them all in a bag to draw from. The characters each awoke in a separate crate and had to open other crates at random (whilst avoiding/fighting the warehouse security) until they found a way out which IIRC made use of a wormholey-thing to get outside (there being no doors or windows) and an inflatable rigger (for one of the staff helicopters). Very silly fun.

http://www.warehouse23.com/basement/
this should be it. Fun stuff
Ascalaphus
So, (crazy) SOTA targets..

- DNI Nanites: very much within reach already. You can put them in a drink, gel rounds with carcerands-DMSO, or in carcerands in a gas grenade. Within moments (perhaps a few minutes) you DNI to people whether they want it or not.

- Implants to make you nearly impossible to kill in combat; these could be neat to scare the players with at some point.
Mongoose
Deamonseed Elite could probably confirm that I was asking about some of the technologies central to the Renraku Arco plot shortly before it was published (close enough so that he was worried about a non-disclosure leak). Turned out we'd just both given a lot of through to the notion of skillsoft / personafix programming as applied to gestault personalties.

I'd like to see the concept of matrix-enabled telepathy / mind melding taken further; its not only a good "powwa boosta", but also a cool / scary / weird way to explore the definition of individuality and identity.
Demonseed Elite
QUOTE (Mongoose @ Apr 28 2010, 04:38 PM) *
I'd like to see the concept of matrix-enabled telepathy / mind melding taken further; its not only a good "powwa boosta", but also a cool / scary / weird way to explore the definition of individuality and identity.

*grins* It's quite possible I was working on something along those lines just today.
Method
A technomancer's brain in a jar... from 2052. cyber.gif
And a list of that dude's offspring. devil.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012