Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sample character
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Mana Child
Edit: Putting a new character in here soon.
Shadow
I will only comment on the Flaws.

They are kind of a cop out because magic using characters rarely use simsense or are jacked into something . Sensitive system especially. Your a shaman, and you probably won't get any bio or cyberware so in essence you are giving your self points without accounting for them.

My two nuyen.
Mana Child
so how would you change this? what would you replace the edges and flaws with?
Kanada Ten
I wouldn't worry too much. I hear J's games are lethal, you'll need every twink point you get with a Moon shaman.
Mana Child
twink point?

he made that character in question and i told him i didnt want a character so bent into nature so he said hell fix it. havent heard from him yet though.
ShadowPhoenix
yeah, I would only have a problem with the edges /flaws myself, since they seem like they are flaws taken which will hardly if ever come into play. I'd change them to flaws that are more likely to be flaws to the character, not just something they wouldn't do anyway. but if the GM wrote it up, that changes everything. nyahnyah.gif
Crusher Bob
I'd jack up heal, iirc the number of boxes you can heal is based off the force of the spell. Maybe change out biotech for negotiation? You'll probably want some athletics as well.
Mana Child
kagetenshi made it thinking i wanted a nature thing cuase i mentioned somthing that was suggested to me by someone else about some form of secret garden.....
Crimson Jack
Twink - as in to twink out a character to make the most of edges/flaws/rules/min-maxing, to ultimately create a starting character that may not make sense in a story, but can make the most of rolling lots of dice and capitalizing on bending rules to make your character more powerful than they should be. Its technically fine, but you'll have troubled sleep at night as you try to justify your share of the karma.

heh. j/k nyahnyah.gif

Mana Child
meh i think me wanting to make a witch was damn stupid now.
I prefer playing hermatics to shamans and all witchs are are mages with a diffent theme. Who really cares...well i dont anymore.
Mana Child
will post my own character here soon. all i need to do is make a mage how hard can it be?
oh well you guys hopefully are willing to help me fix it if its broken
Grey
I think the Allergy is a cool one and goes well with the theme of the character. Sensitive System is fine too, cause you never know when you'll get something installed. I rarely play magic users that don't have at least a datajack.

The simsense flaws are a cop-out though... Come up with a background for the character and work flaws into the story of the character.
Mana Child
nooooooooooooooooooo cause i aint making a witch mage
Grey
what does that have to do with it? my point is that every character you make should have a background story and a good personality. work your edges and flaws into what fits with the character, not what gives you the most points. eventually you'll be able to do both. wink.gif
k1tsune
Fact: I made Kitsune, my first character, before I even had a single book. It was mostly a very confused Ariel deciding "I want an Otaku!" and Jon walking me through each step of the process. Using the Priority System.
The stats quite frankly sucked. I didn't even really understand them... but I had a good grasp of the character, and managed to play her.
Now I've been playing Kitsune for what... a year?
Recently, Jon (Kagetenshi. SotSW GM) let me re-do the character with the points system and my much-improved grasp of the game and the rules. Now, I'm pretty satisfied.

Moral? If you have a good GM, the stats don't matter near as much as how you play it.
Mana Child
thankyou for the advice i found that very good thanks K1tsune

edit: what is kitsune?
k1tsune
QUOTE (Mana Child)
thankyou for the advice i found that very good thanks K1tsune

No prob. I look forward to playing with you. Or maybe GM'ing for you. Either way. ^_^
Mana Child
please i'd like that
Sunday_Gamer
I suppose it depends on the game you're in and how the GM runs it but from where I stand the complete lack of knowledge skills is a problem. Surely she knows something about something? KS: Magic or Spirits or Critters, something.

I'd definitely bring up that heal.

Kong
toturi
Pretty good build actually, just like something one of my players would build. Yes, they are properly trained. biggrin.gif Besides, having no/very limited access to cyber is definately going to bite you in the ass sometime, like when the guy without Sensitive System goes Smartlink 2 (Delta), Boosted Reflexes (Delta), and Synaptic Accel or some other goodie combo. You can only drool.

I would like to see some Knowledge skills though. BTW, good job on the Int 6, now you have 30 points to spend on KS.

You might want to drop that Hot Patato and Heal for some other spell. Afterall, you already have Biotech 6. Maybe go for a Armour and Spell Shield.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (ShadowPhoenix)
yeah, I would only have a problem with the edges /flaws myself, since they seem like they are flaws taken which will hardly if ever come into play. I'd change them to flaws that are more likely to be flaws to the character, not just something they wouldn't do anyway. but if the GM wrote it up, that changes everything. nyahnyah.gif

The flaws would be more a copout if I didn't enforce the fact that simsense and the Matrix are EVERYWHERE. Also, keep in mind that Simsense Vertigo affects things like Smartlinks, so that permanently seals off the possibility to become a gunbunny in addition. The SNS is more arguable, though I'm taking the fact that anyone can take it to mean that anyone will, at times, be in a position to be affected by it, so only a luddite would be able to take it risk-free.

~J
Mana Child
I'm making my own character from scratch without help then i will post it here for people to look at and comment on.

i know i can make somthing on my own whether its good or not is another thing.
Kagetenshi
Probably the best option. I find that it's often difficult to get into a character you didn't make yourself unless you just click with the character, and that isn't that common.

~J
Mana Child
yeah i'm wondering whether you can make a character thats say a "Pitfighter"
Xel naga
Na mate na, just isn't gona happen.
Glyph
If you're thinking about a pit-fighter type character (by which I am assuming you mean someone who fights in quasi-legal mixed martial arts tournaments or street fights), then you either want someone heavily cybered or an adept. Also, trolls are the best for it, although being naturally tilted towards certain skill sets makes them limited in other ways. Orks and dwarves are also good. All three can start out with higher Body and Strength, before you even start adding powers and enhancements.

An adept is really the best way to go, because for melee combat, you are comparing your successes with your opponent's. Initiative is not very important to a melee character. You can attack someone and take damage, or they can attack you and wind up taking damage. Adepts have the Improved Ability power, which lets them get up to 6 extra dice in certain skills. If you are rolling 6 more dice than someone else, then they can be tougher and capable of doing more damage, and they will still lose. Adepts also have access to powers such as Killing Hands (making their fists lethal weapons that can even affect spirits) or Mystic Armor (giving them natural impact armor).

Cybered characters are not as good at this - they make great generalists, but are not as good at single specialized roles. But you can still make a passable pit-fighter. Take Dermal Sheath: 3 and Ceramic Bone Lacing, and you have someone who does more damage with his fists, has +4 Body, and has 4 extra points of Impact armor. You can add things like a shock hand (to do electrical stun damage in addition to a punch), or Muscle Replacement to make you punches hit harder and to boost your Combat Pool. If your GM allows bioware, you can get enhanced articulation and a reflex recorder to add more combat dice, and muscle toner/augmentation or a suprathyroid gland to make yourself tougher. There are lot of little cyber-goodies a cybered pit fighter could take.

If you do make a pit fighter, though, make sure he's not too specialized. Give him at least one ranged skill, and be sure you have the basic skills (stealth, etiquette, athletics).
toturi
QUOTE (Glyph @ Feb 19 2004, 03:51 PM)
An adept is really the best way to go, because for melee combat, you are comparing your successes with your opponent's.  Initiative is not very important to a melee character.  You can attack someone and take damage, or they can attack you and wind up taking damage.  Adepts have the Improved Ability power, which lets them get up to 6 extra dice in certain skills.  If you are rolling 6 more dice than someone else, then they can be tougher and capable of doing more damage, and they will still lose.  Adepts also have access to powers such as Killing Hands (making their fists lethal weapons that can even affect spirits) or Mystic Armor (giving them natural impact armor).

Even if you are not using the martial arts rules, the full defense combat option is still a totally viable move to use. Remember you can't cause damage on full defense.

And with respect to initiative, I recommend Quick Strike, not Improved Reflexes. In fact, I feel a high initiative is BAD for melee. Imagine this: You are in the first initiative pass of the Combat Phase. You get hit bad, but you have already commited to an Offensive maneuver (Sweep/Throw/Kick Attack), so you execute it. But you cannot change the maneuver until the next Combat Phase! So even if you wanted to go Full Defense now that you are hurt, you can't.
simonw2000
QUOTE (toturi)
Adepts also have access to powers such as Killing Hands(making their fists lethal weapons that can even affect spirits)

If you WANT to fight spirits, get Astral Perception as well! biggrin.gif
Crimson Jack
And counter strike is an awesome combo with a high unarmed combat skill. Max out on counter strike and goad people into attacking you. Give yourself a moderate killing hands and you've got a punch that'll sting for days.
k1tsune
Allow me to say once again that (don't click, players-mine)

[ Spoiler ]
Fortune
QUOTE (simonw2000)
If you WANT to fight spirits, get Astral Perception as well!

Why? It's perfectly viable to only fight Spirits that have manifested, especially since they have to do so to have any effect on the character.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012