Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: If IMR/CGL retains the license, will you:
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
augmentin
This one shamelessly plagiarized from Bull.
Grexul
I am of the opinion that #1 is only possible if #2 is accomplished.

Grexul
Banaticus
Where's the "I don't frakking care as long as CGL doesn't go bankrupt"? Is that #1?
BookWyrm
what changes will Randall make? Is there a link to a list?
Kid Chameleon
If IMR/CGL retains the license, will you:

d) celebrate the end of these polls.
Angelone
I'll play regardless. Unless they change the system to d20 or something like that.
BlueMax
QUOTE (Kid Chameleon @ May 1 2010, 11:54 PM) *
If IMR/CGL retains the license, will you:

d) celebrate the end of these polls.

I hope this isn't considered a personal attack:
Dreamer.

You and I both know that no matter how this ends, there will be years of bitterness popping up here on DumpShock.

BlueMax
Udoshi
QUOTE (BookWyrm @ May 2 2010, 01:23 AM) *
what changes will Randall make? Is there a link to a list?

Curious minds - who haven't kept up with all 5 CGL debate threads - wish to know. Anyone?
LurkerOutThere
QUOTE (BlueMax @ May 2 2010, 01:58 AM) *
I hope this isn't considered a personal attack:
Dreamer.

You and I both know that no matter how this ends, there will be years of bitterness popping up here on DumpShock.

BlueMax

On what planet would this be considered a personal attack? Someone (you, not the poster) seems to have taken their overly sensitive pill this morning. Actually I'm fairly certain that with the exception of a few people like AH and others directly affected there won't be a lot of bitterness over the whole thing unless it leads to the end of shadowrun basically.
Ascalaphus
Eh. This endless speculation and fighting is rather dreary.

I just want my Corporate Guide.
JM Hardy
QUOTE (Udoshi @ May 2 2010, 03:14 AM) *
Curious minds - who haven't kept up with all 5 CGL debate threads - wish to know. Anyone?

There is not a list of all the detailed changes, because a lot of it is internal business matters. Some of it is simple stuff like changing how checks are signed and who signs what checks. Others involve implementing new accounting procedures that will help each project be individually profitable (and make those profits clear), which will mean each project will generate the revenue to fully pay off those who worked on it (that's been the goal for a long time, but procedures were not in line with that goal). There are other changes happening that I'm not aware of simply because I'm not on that side of the business.

Jason H.
Doc Byte
QUOTE (Angelone @ May 2 2010, 09:57 AM) *
I'll play regardless. Unless they change the system to d20 or something like that.

QFT
imperialus
As long as CGL continues to put out books that I find useful or entertaining in my campaigns I will continue to buy them.
BookWyrm
I agree with imperialis.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (BookWyrm @ May 2 2010, 10:50 AM) *
I agree with imperialis.

Hard to argue with Imperialis... that is my general outlook on most game materials...

Keep the Faith
Tyro
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ May 2 2010, 10:24 AM) *
Hard to argue with Imperialis... that is my general outlook on most game materials...

Keep the Faith

Ditto.

[Edit:] 900 posts!
Prime Mover
I will continue to support Shadowrun as long as it continues on the path its on. If the quality/content drop into the crapper I'll move on, I'll shed a tear but I'll move on. If number 2. is accomplished and great material starts pouring out of the pipeline again I'll be happy to support it. Looking forward to completeing DotA and its follow up and all the great stuff on the schedule but I'll reserve my opinion beyond that until I have some hard copy in my hands.
Dumori
I'll likey suport the licence holder no matter what how ever this would likely be grudingly if CGL dosen't clean up its act I'll only buy any new books that I feel I NEED no more buying every SR book ever if I don't feel CGL deserves my custom.
Aristotle
I don't plan to support IMR/CGL. I just can't get past the fact that some portion of my money would go to those responsible for putting my favorite game in jeopardy. If the offending parties were removed I'd certainly reconsider.
DigitalSoul
If the product is good, people will buy. As much as I don't like employee/employer maleficence that won't stop people that don't know anything about this drekstorm from actually buying the content that's actually good. Handing the license over to another company that manages on their own system or stays with this one doesn't matter as long as they make good on the content as well. If either way it goes bad with horrid writing or an excessive need for errata then people might not buy as the content is no good from infighting dragging down progress or a company that doesn't know anything about Shadowrun.

In the end, all we can really hope for is a quick, clean resolution to this that doesn't cause more than the already unavoidable damage to the creative process of making the content currently in place.

Content is King.
Nifft
I will continue to buy good products at reasonable prices.

I don't really care if they're in financial trouble. If they can crawl out, great! If they can't, oh well, hopefully the next guy does better. It's not my job to balance their books, nor to oversee their accounts: I'm not a shareholder.

Well, I guess if the company were ritually sacrificing innocent children on a blood-soaked ziggurat, I'd give their products a pass, no matter how good & cheap those products were. But short of human rights violations, I don't much care. Give me good products at reasonable prices.
BookWyrm
Hear hear, Nifft.
Saint Sithney
It's easy enough to say "as long as they keep cranking out the hits," but after they shit on the talent so hard during this whole mess, I'm not sure that's going to happen.

They sure as hell don't have to ask my forgiveness, but they're going to have to try real hard to convince me that they're not just pushing shit out of the door. There are parts of 10 Jackpointers which didn't even enjoy a spellcheck sweep...
Tyro
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ May 3 2010, 03:54 AM) *
<snip>
There are parts of 10 Jackpointers which didn't even enjoy a spellcheck sweep...

Really? Yeesh!
GreyBrother
Let's see what the future brings. I started losing interest in the whole mumbo jumbo after ... 3 Weeks? I even ignore the speculation threads, the only one i read is on the german SR-Nexus and there you just have the important info.
Jaid
QUOTE (GreyBrother @ May 3 2010, 01:24 PM) *
Let's see what the future brings. I started losing interest in the whole mumbo jumbo after ... 3 Weeks? I even ignore the speculation threads, the only one i read is on the german SR-Nexus and there you just have the important info.

i'm not sure how you could determine which threads contain the 'important info', actually. if it was easy to tell, then presumably there'd be a lot less people who have missed important information posting comments in the speculation thread here.
Darkeus
Shadowrun is bigger than the people who hold the license so I will play Shadowrun regardless of who has the license.

If the license goes to someone else, as long as the system doesn't go d20 (Please God no!) or way off track then I will be okay. Otherwise, I'll stick with 4th edition...
Adam
When was the last time that a print publisher released a new d20 title that was not designed to be D&D support material or competition in the same market? It's been ages. d20 stopped kicking your sand-castle over years ago. It did its good, and its damage -- now rebuild. nyahnyah.gif
Dixie Flatline
QUOTE (Adam @ May 3 2010, 04:24 PM) *
When was the last time that a print publisher released a new d20 title that was not designed to be D&D support material or competition in the same market? It's been ages. d20 stopped kicking your sand-castle over years ago. It did its good, and its damage -- now rebuild. nyahnyah.gif

Is 4th ed even OGL? I don't remember it being.

I want to see three things happen, in the listed order.

1. Pay the f*cking freelancers who write most of SR's material. Consistently. I'm going to actually broaden this and say "pay all your debts off, on time".
2. Ship the goddamn product that they've taken money in advance for in a timely manner.
3. Put out material that is worthwhile.
Heath Robinson
QUOTE (Dixie Flatline @ May 4 2010, 12:46 AM) *

Nope, it has a new licence that is pretty shitty for anybody that signs it. Some people have just gone ahead and made material for 4e without signing the licence as it seems that the licence is mostly a way to legitimately include the "4e Compatible" logo on your products, but nothing stops you from actually printing compatible products without signing the licence at all.
Cthulhudreams
They'd need a major quality lift. Books like runners companion are not worth the prices being asked.
augmentin
QUOTE (Dixie Flatline @ May 3 2010, 07:46 PM) *

I want to see three things happen, in the listed order.

1. Pay the f*cking freelancers who write most of SR's material. Consistently. I'm going to actually broaden this and say "pay all your debts off, on time".
2. Ship the goddamn product that they've taken money in advance for in a timely manner.
3. Put out material that is worthwhile. [emphasis mine]

QFT.
I was originally very upset about the situation, mostly because I was once in a similar situation and took out a 2nd on my home to to make sure all appropriate parties were paid. As the speculative threads wear on, I've softened my stance to how it actually affects me as a consumer. I guess it's just really none of my business what happens on the corporate side. Unless significant freelancers and/or former employees ask us to boycott CGL/IMR, I'll continue to support Shadowrun regardless of licensee. Provided, of course, Dixie's point 3 is met. (I buy pdfs exclusively, so item 2 is not relevant to me.)
Surt
If shadowrun continues to be a good product I would have no problem supporting it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012