Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GERMS
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
k1tsune
How many people think about illness and/or pathogens in their games? I was thinking that someone- especially someone with "Weak Immune System" or a low body rating would be affected by a lot more than just the big evil deadly diseases. So why don't shadowrunners get colds? And if they do, does anyone impose modifiers? Because really, no one's going to shoot/run/think as well if they're sick. Even mildly sick.

Just pondering.

(badgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadger)
Sunday_Gamer
I had some runners once who fell in some glacial waters Upon exiting the water, they ran around for several hours outdoors on a chilly autumn night. Needless to say, they all started taking penalties for being cold and just surly. When they made it back home, they all rolled Body and several of them got pneumonia. Already being on the run, the decker hired a buddy to cover for him and the mage pressed on, intent on finishing the run. With their decker replaced by a less skilled stand in and their mage suffering +2 to all target numbers from the illness, the run was a complete fiasco and the mage never made it out alive.

I never really decided how I felt about how I had handled that.

Sunday
Dveeb
I'd think the vast majority of illnesses would be easily curable, with the possible exceptions of some antibiotic (or whatever) resistant bugs.
Siege
Truthfully, diease and illness has never manifested itself in games I've played in, unless it was a central element -- like ghouls or vampires.

I don't have a personal opinion one way or the other -- except to make sure you have mechanics for broad-spectrum anti-biotics and similar, run of the mill medical procedures.

-Siege
Lycanthropic Dreaming
QUOTE (Siege)
Truthfully, diease and illness has never manifested itself in games I've played in, unless it was a central element -- like ghouls or vampires.

Relatively recently, my team went on a middling-corp extraction run. We retrieved the entire family using extreme prejudice. devil.gif While we were holding them for the Johnson, they started getting real sick.

A healer finally figured out that they carried some deliberately introduced pathogen that the old corp was secreting into their food supply. Talk about employee health plan!! nyahnyah.gif
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (k1tsune)
How many people think about illness and/or pathogens in their games? I was thinking that someone- especially someone with "Weak Immune System" or a low body rating would be affected by a lot more than just the big evil deadly diseases. So why don't shadowrunners get colds? And if they do, does anyone impose modifiers? Because really, no one's going to shoot/run/think as well if they're sick. Even mildly sick.

Just pondering.

I think about it.
Something to think about next time you go sewercrawling. vegm.gif

~J
Jason Farlander
QUOTE (k1tsune @ Feb 18 2004, 09:05 PM)

Mushroom mushroom?

(Edit: added linkage)
Siege
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (k1tsune @ Feb 18 2004, 10:05 PM)

Just pondering.

I think about it.
Something to think about next time you go sewercrawling. vegm.gif

~J

S'why I always go to my street doc and have him do a blood test and pump me full of antibiotics after a sewer run and every three months after a special gig.

My GM gives me a curious look and I reply, "just in case".

-Siege
Crusher Bob
So then you can grow all sorts of resistant bacteria? No thanks. Any of your stomach fauna that lives through this is going to be an uber-resistant badass of a bacteria. Hope they don't exchange genetic material with something else you come down with. Best actually check to see if you are sick first.

There was a discusison about the common cold on the old forums. I think accelerated fatigue (so you are at +1 after a while) was one of the systems for dealing with it.

Also, if the run is just a few hours, you can probably live better through chemistry, at least for 2-6 hours.
Siege
Given the kind of crap that can grow in a sewer, never mind the sewers of 2060?

Thanks, no.

It's the same reason why flooding is so dangerous -- "Stagnant pond water + raw sewage does not equal Evion" (Evion being expensive bottled water).

By the time you start manifesting symptoms, the bug(s) have already taken hold and your life is just gonna suck.

I would imagine the counter-infection procedures for 2060 might be more advanced than today's "broad spectrum" approach, but I'd still rather opt for that rather than a "wait and see" tactic.

-Siege
Crusher Bob
Considering the amount of problems with resistant bacteria today, I would assume that the broad spectrum approach will be out. Look for careful monitoring of the immune system to check for infection first. Then followed by antibiotic usage (which may be very carefully controlled).
Fortune
QUOTE (Siege)
Evion being expensive bottled water

Just a note to say that it's Evian. It's easy to recall if you remember that it's actually naive backwards. smile.gif
BIG BAD BEESTE
Hmmm, bugs huh? Well apart from those nasty roaches etc. I've used colds and fevers for those teams who seam to like "adventuring" in the outdoors arenas, and who aren't prepared for them.

Generally theres exposure to cold/heat, taking a dip in contaminated water and imbibing the odd substance without going through health and safety regs on the medkit. Having the odd hangover and occasional spout of diahorrea can also be fun - especially if one of the NPCs is a practical joker with a load of troll-strength laxatives. (Or a spell to such effect that gets quickened and sent via ritual sorcery. Hmmmm [vegm])

Overall I only apply a couple of TN modifiers for minor ailments to represent lack of mental clarity, hallucinations, or physical symptoms like the shakes or sneezing. I expect my players to roleplay their way through the illness too or I mark down their Karma awards. Occassionally I add damage to the condition monitor, but then thats more for serious diseases like VITAS, meta-flu, and the screaming heebies.

With the amount of magical and advanced medi-tech out there in the Sixth World most ailments are short term inconveiniences rather than life threatening plagues. However, using the rules for cyber-rejection & stuff in Man & Machine (adapted for cancers etc.) and very rarely a bioweapon like Doom from Shadowtech can really make those runners sweat.
Savior
Also in sewars, you can bring in the hidden baddies like toxic fumes, diesel or other fuel floating on top of the water, stagnent air, which has interesting side effects. That is if you wanna be a real dick about it... hehe
Req
Shadowtech sez: Antibac and zeta-interferon are your friends.
k1tsune
QUOTE (Jason Farlander)

Mushroom mushroom?

Yep.
Jason Farlander
QUOTE (k1tsune)
QUOTE (Jason Farlander @ Feb 18 2004, 11:56 PM)

Mushroom mushroom?

Yep.

Excellent.
Req
On that note, might I recommend Scampi, as well?
REM
QUOTE (Req)
On that note, might I recommend Scampi, as well?

funny indeed.
k1tsune
I like.. Kenya, was it? Though there are no tigers in Africa...
Kagetenshi
Definitely the best use of Kuala Lumpur France in a long while.

~J
Req
I've seen things...I've seen them with my EYES!
k1tsune
I've seen things, they're often in disguise!
Shockwave_IIc
Like carrots, handbags, cheese.... damn forgot the rest
k1tsune
Carrots, handbags, cheese, toilets, Russians, weddings, Kuala Lumpur...
Req
Pygmies and Stalin are in there too.
Hecatonchires
you left out "hamsters, planets..."
REM
Squirrels doing good?
any way....
this is differant. but watch it.
Austere Emancipator
Wow. How's that for going off-topic...

I've always thought that by the 2060s, most people would be so full of antibiotics and whatever else that common virii and bacteria wouldn't stand a chance. Normally, I only consider diseases in extreme cases.

Someone with very weak resistance, like only 1 or 2 dice to resist diseases, would probably be whacked with diseases slightly more often, especially if they go drudging through sewers and the like.

(1: Shoot annoying squirrel. 2: Shoot yourself.)
Dogsoup
Rampant use of antibiotics just result in stronger strains.
Austere Emancipator
I believe in medical technology advancing faster than diseases evolve.

So I'm a naive, optimistic moron. Whatever.
k1tsune
From what I've heard, children are getting ill more often these days. It's been theorized that it's because of the more sterile environments they've been kept in... in other words, because of the fear of germs. They don't swallow their proper amount of dirt, and therefore end up getting sick when exposed to worse strains of things...

So would Corp kids and stuff be getting ill more often than street kids? Sounds backwards, but interesting.
Kanada Ten
Only if they leave the sheltered areas of the Corp.

IRL, kids mingle with those of different status... ISR, corps regulate who you interact with.

Isaac Asimov's story Nemesis mentions this "isolationist" phenomenon among the space colonies.

However, I think corps would inoculate their workers with continuously updated vaccines for nearly everything... unless they want to encourage isolationism.
Siege
Given the current progression of virus and icky stuff development, antibiotics or their future counterparts will have to show an upward mobility in effectiveness.

As of right now, they're maintaining a straight line (visualize a line graph) with bugs slowly inching towards the line of antibiotics.

-Siege
Crusher Bob
The 'dirt theory', iirc, says that the immune system needs the 'practice' of beating up 'basically harmless stuff' so that it is ready for actually dangerous stuff. With the sterile environments of today, you don't get enough 'basically harmless stuff' so your immune system is not up to fighting off the worse things, so you get noticable sick more often. Some research has been done into whether you could get better immune response by feeding people small quantites of 'dirt' (really various bacteria usually found in dirt), the inital work looked interesting, but I'm not sure where it's gone since then.
Raptor1033
oh man my players are so going to hate you guys for letting me see the badger thing. now it's gonna show up somehow when i gm and i guarantee it won't be pretty, maybe a pc death or 2 :vegm.gif:
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012