Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Battletech is the same world as Shadowrun?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Valashar
If you went strictly by the calendar year in BattleTech (31st century), then it would still be solidly in the first half of the Sixth World (started in 2011, and the cycles are on a roughly 5000 year rotation). The Horrors wouldn't be due for another millennia or so. Our group (mainly just the GM and I, since we're roomies) have banded 'what ifs' and 'maybe this' ideas about blending concepts from BT into SR, but usually just when one of us (generally me) is fairly hammered. Spent most of the time discussing how to use the astral forms of given planets as a means of interstellar communication to bypass the HPG networks and other such silliness.
hermit
There is no "have to". If your want to play your infected as chaste emos or goths engaged in byzantine plots that's perfectly valid - but I really can't see how this is a problem of the rules, your criticism is like intentionally driving your car into a wall and then complaining that it's possible and the results are what could be expected.

They are unnescessary as PC option. They don't add anything to a game except emoness or more bloodlust and gorn.

And the rules support this, with emotional bond when feeding, cannibalist food requirements, ect. Also, they retconned the infected massively with RC, making a number of them suddenly sentient, and making wendigos effectively ghousl with hiar, which takes away the entire concept of a wendigo.

The rules are crap. They may work as intended, but within canon, within the game world, and looking at them from a perspective of what they add to a game, it comes down to emoness, gorn and nothing else.
Sengir
QUOTE (hermit @ May 7 2010, 12:33 PM) *
The rules are crap.

Und wenn der Bauer nicht schwimmen kann ist die Badehose kaputt, oder das Wasser nicht griffig genug.

If you can only play vampires as emos and goths, your vampire PCs will obviously be emos and goths - that's a problem with the playing style, not with the rules

and making wendigos effectively ghousl with hiar

And influence power, and the need for human auras (no eating rats and stuff), and mages across the board, and of course the fluff still mentions their fondness for secreat cabals wink.gif
Grinder
QUOTE (Sengir @ May 7 2010, 03:20 PM) *
If you can only play vampires as emos and goths, your vampire PCs will obviously be emos and goths - that's a problem with the playing style, not with the rules

The RC-stuff about Infected is debatable, but do so in another thread, ok?
tete
This has been a long debated issue and the official answer over the years has been Yes and No. Meaning any cross overs you see (at leased in the beginning) we not done on purpose, where later authors chose to drop hints (if any)was entirely inside jokes. For the record Comstar (while spooky and all knowing) is not made up of Immortal Elves or Dragons.
Furluge
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ May 6 2010, 04:15 PM) *
Anybody remember the Orca Class Mech for Battletech? *snickers*

Ha ha, yeah, I've got that little gem saved somewhere...

But then WizKids spoiled it by actually making Colossal class mechs that were over 100 tons. I nearly #%@! a brick when I saw it.

QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ May 6 2010, 04:27 PM) *
I once believed this, but was informed that Battletech has history back to the Soviet Union which verifiably lacks the Awakening.
~J

Yeah, there is that. There's also the fact that Battletech (1984 with Battledroids) is about five years older than Shadowrun, which means they'd have had to have planned for Shadowrun to be in the background before Battledroids had taken off. That's a pretty tall order considering it wouldn't add much to Battletech's fiction. Now the Earthdawn/Shadowrun connection seems to be much more likely.
Stahlseele
Bah, the Colossal Class is only 135t at maximum, and has 3 legs . . and a crew of 3 . .
The Orca is a 200t monstrosity on 2 legs with one pilot, as it should have been with the colossals ^^
Sengir
QUOTE (Furluge @ May 7 2010, 08:32 PM) *
But then WizKids spoiled it by actually making Colossal class mechs that were over 100 tons.

But only in that other game wink.gif
Furluge
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ May 7 2010, 04:56 PM) *
Bah, the Colossal Class is only 135t at maximum, and has 3 legs . . and a crew of 3 . .
The Orca is a 200t monstrosity on 2 legs with one pilot, as it should have been with the colossals ^^

Yep, but it's still a mech over 100 tons, the exact number and details didn't really phase me, just that I saw a mech with 100+ tons.

Besides, the Orca was just plain silly. rotfl.gif

QUOTE (Sengir @ May 7 2010, 04:57 PM) *
But only in that other game wink.gif

Well remember the promise was that everything for MWDA was going to be converted to Battletech. They even printed a set of record sheets for converted units. Of course that got quickly dropped off and with MWDA dying it's been pretty much scrapped and all the record sheets from that set are invalid anyway it seems. However, considering that CGL is putting out TROs further and further into the future (3085 is the one being worked on now), they're slowly starting to cross over into MWDA territory and create new official designs for MWDA units. That means eventually we might see those Colossal class things again.

Also apparently they're getting close to finishing new rules for LAMs.

In light of those two factoids, you are all permitted to panic. ;p
Tanegar
QUOTE (Furluge @ May 7 2010, 08:18 PM) *

LAMs, you say?
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (otakusensei @ May 5 2010, 03:56 PM) *
Ouch, I just read up on that. So Running Wild trumps SR4A on critter powers?

I believe so, yes. And for whatever damage I've done, I apologize.
Banaticus
QUOTE (otakusensei @ May 5 2010, 10:52 AM) *
I always loved the fact that vampires in SR have nowhere to run on sucking blood. They need to do it, and when they do it they do massive and irreparable harm to their victims. Self aware victims. They can't suck rats and cry about how tortured they are. If they continue to live they are monsters, and that makes me very happy.

Look, it's darn expensive to grow an arm or an eye, right? It's a lot cheaper and easier to just force grow a type O clone and harvest what you need. That's according to the book. Now, what do you think they do with the rest of the clone? That's right, there's a thriving underground market for all the lovey-duvvy vampires to just order in a few clones and suck 'em down. When a vampire orders in Chinese, he's, well, he's really ordering in some Chinese, you know?

That being said, of course every animal has emotions -- tie 'em down and start putting matches to them and watch them squeal, then try to come back and say that the rules are wrong, they shouldn't have emotions.
HappyDaze
Vampires can exist on rats, puppies, or kittens - so long as they have a Great Form Guardian spirit use Endowment to grant the critter Sapience!
Stahlseele
Or a sperm whale, or a pot of petunias . .
Sengir
QUOTE (Furluge @ May 8 2010, 12:18 AM) *
That means eventually we might see those Colossal class things again.

In light of those two factoids, you are all permitted to panic. ;p

Ok then...PAAAAAAANIIIIIC, WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIIIIEEEEE.

In the meantime: RC says that vampires have a Dietary Requirement for metahuman blood and the description for the Essence Drain power clearly states that it only works on critters if they have the Sapience power. So regardless of the whole instincts vs. sapience vs. emotion thing, rats are out (although the trick with endowing Sapience certainly is creative biggrin.gif). Clones should be OK for the Dietary Requirements, but since force-grown clones don't even have enough brains to have a Stirrup interface installed, they can't feed the hunger for essence.

Or course if you want to make things really easy for infected PCs you can accept the RC sidebar on Dietary Requirements which says "Cloned metahuman flesh and blood, including bioware, can satisfy some of these dietary requirements", thereby directly contradicting the canon fact that the Infected cannot survive on cell cultures and need something which once had a metahuman aura.
hermit
Vampires can exist on rats, puppies, or kittens - so long as they have a Great Form Guardian spirit use Endowment to grant the critter Sapience!

Sentience, not Sapience, is required. Anything able to suffer will do, and that DOES include most animals.
Sengir
QUOTE (hermit @ May 8 2010, 01:53 PM) *
Sentience, not Sapience, is required.

4A BBB, p. 294:
Essence Drain can only target physical sentient beings (characters and nonastral critters with the Sentience power).

(since there is no power called "Sentience" the author obviously meant "Sapience". The German printing corrects this)
HappyDaze
Yeah, it is pretty obviously supposed to be the Sapience power, which is why the Endowment trick to allow a Vampire to live off of the Essence of creatures granted Sapience is perfectly legal. Tricky workaround, certainly - something a Loki (Trickster) magician could use to great effect bargaining with the Infected!
otakusensei
QUOTE (HappyDaze @ May 9 2010, 09:30 AM) *
Yeah, it is pretty obviously supposed to be the Sapience power, which is why the Endowment trick to allow a Vampire to live off of the Essence of creatures granted Sapience is perfectly legal. Tricky workaround, certainly - something a Loki (Trickster) magician could use to great effect bargaining with the Infected!

It's also equally as bad as doing to a creature who was born with Sapience. Maybe worse if you consider that you are going that extra step not onyl to torture the poor thing, but to make sure it is aware of what you are doing to it.

That's the reason I like the Sapience requirement. It gets rid of the hand waiving that has defanged the concept of the vampire. If it can do what it does with a straw just as well, I say it is no vampire.
HappyDaze
QUOTE (otakusensei @ May 9 2010, 10:21 AM) *
It's also equally as bad as doing to a creature who was born with Sapience. Maybe worse if you consider that you are going that extra step not onyl to torture the poor thing, but to make sure it is aware of what you are doing to it.

That's the reason I like the Sapience requirement. It gets rid of the hand waiving that has defanged the concept of the vampire. If it can do what it does with a straw just as well, I say it is no vampire.

Equally as "bad" perhaps, but not equally illegal. PETAES (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals Endowed with Sapience) or some other bleeding heart pussies might bitch, but there's no laws against using Endowment to provide a cow with Sapience and draining it's Essence right before it's sent to the butcher for everyone else to eat.
Patrick Goodman
Don't have time for this part of the discussion, but man, some of you go out of your way to make things difficult. More later, I'm sure.
Sengir
QUOTE (HappyDaze @ May 9 2010, 05:52 PM) *
there's no laws against using Endowment to provide a cow with Sapience and draining it's Essence right before it's sent to the butcher for everyone else to eat.

Well, there are not even laws against killing various sapient beings...like vampires for example wink.gif
hermit
QUOTE (Sengir @ May 9 2010, 07:51 PM) *
Well, there are not even laws against killing various sapient beings...like vampires for example wink.gif

With RC, of course there are. It is illegal now to lynch your neighbourhood vampire unless maybe in self defense. Because, hey, you have to push your inane PC options. See Emergence.
Delarn
QUOTE (Valashar @ May 7 2010, 03:18 AM) *
Spent most of the time discussing how to use the astral forms of given planets as a means of interstellar communication to bypass the HPG networks and other such silliness.

Metaplanes are planes ... aren't they ?

Edit: Equinox is the 8th world ... but in their presentation page they said that mankind tamed mana.
QUOTE (Redbrick LLC)
The universe looks vastly different from the one those early pioneers saw when they took to the stars. Thousands of years ago, in the golden age of ancient Earth, mankind managed to tame the mystic cycles that brought magic to their homeworld and colonies. Mankind prospered and excelled at developing their control over the mystical forces, technology, and eventually even a fusion of both.

So they are still in the 6th world of magic but in the future.
Grinder
Mankind found ways to store mana to overcome the mana ebb during the 7th world.
Dread Moores
I'm all about those vampires in Battletech...oh, wait... wink.gif
Furluge
QUOTE (Dread Moores @ May 9 2010, 11:04 PM) *
I'm all about those vampires in Battletech...oh, wait... wink.gif

Somewhere in a coniferous northern forest a pale-faced vampire with a greaser hairdo is out with a girl wearing frumpy flannel. They spend the next five minutes staring at the ground and just glancing at each other before the vampire speaks up and says, "I've got a horrible secret I must tell you. You must know why we never go out when it's sunny. Look, I glitter, isn't that just horr-," At that exact moment a Mad Cat bursts through the treeline, it's chicken foot squishing the vampire into a greasy red paste beneath one of it's chicken feet with a metallic thud, red and green lasers licking at it's armor as an Atlas and a Marauder hammer it with fire, the Mad Cat falling down, crushing the camera, the screen going black as the title appears.

Twilight (of the Clans)
Stahlseele
BWAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAAAHAAAAAAHAAAAAA! ^^
Sengir
QUOTE (hermit @ May 9 2010, 10:59 PM) *
With RC, of course there are. It is illegal now to lynch your neighbourhood vampire unless maybe in self defense.

RC is quite clear that vampiric Infected are only granted basic rights in very few jurisdictions (probably those on the list of Infected-friendly in RW). Ghouls may have made some progress, but vampires are still considered little more than prey.
hermit
RC is quite clear that vampiric Infected are only granted basic rights in very few jurisdictions (probably those on the list of Infected-friendly in RW).

The listed countries include all major settings - UCAS, CAS, most of Europe, Hong Kong, California. Unless your campaign is set in Quebec or Russia, it is illegal for you to 'murder' an Infected - just like ghouls are now allowed to spread the iinfection freely. Whether the same applies if he kills you by feeding on you depends on local juristiction. It does NOT apply in Amazonia.
Dread Moores
QUOTE (Furluge @ May 10 2010, 02:36 AM) *
Somewhere in a coniferous northern forest a pale-faced vampire with a greaser hairdo is out with a girl wearing frumpy flannel. They spend the next five minutes staring at the ground and just glancing at each other before the vampire speaks up and says, "I've got a horrible secret I must tell you. You must know why we never go out when it's sunny. Look, I glitter, isn't that just horr-," At that exact moment a Mad Cat bursts through the treeline, it's chicken foot squishing the vampire into a greasy red paste beneath one of it's chicken feet with a metallic thud, red and green lasers licking at it's armor as an Atlas and a Marauder hammer it with fire, the Mad Cat falling down, crushing the camera, the screen going black as the title appears.

Twilight (of the Clans)

Fantastic. Now that's an SR/BT crossover I can get behind. smile.gif
hermit
What, someone has already built the Twilight Vampires via RC? Got a link to the stats?
Dread Moores
*points off to the right* It's right over there. In some other thread that talks about RC.
Grinder
This thread is about Runner's Companion? grinbig.gif
Kid Chameleon
QUOTE (Grinder @ May 10 2010, 08:24 AM) *

The MechRunner's Companion. Next book for BattleRun.
Sengir
QUOTE (hermit @ May 10 2010, 12:02 PM) *
The listed countries include all major settings - UCAS, CAS, most of Europe, Hong Kong, California.

Huh? This is the list of Infected-friendly nations from RW:
    Amazonia
    Asamando
    Aztlan
    California Free State
    Czech Republic
    Euskal Herria
    France
    Philippines
    Salish-Shidhe Council
    Yakut

And seriously, RW is the source for Infected unless you need the chargen tables wink.gif
Grinder
QUOTE (Kid Chameleon @ May 10 2010, 04:35 PM) *
The MechRunner's Companion. Next book for BattleRun.

My fault! rotfl.gif
hermit
QUOTE (Sengir @ May 10 2010, 04:38 PM) *
Huh? This is the list of Infected-friendly nations from RW:
    Amazonia
    Asamando
    Aztlan
    California Free State
    Czech Republic
    Euskal Herria
    France
    Philippines
    Salish-Shidhe Council
    Yakut

And seriously, RW is the source for Infected unless you need the chargen tables wink.gif

Yes. The quote was about the stuff from Runners Companion. Obviously you would NOT find it in the RW, then.

The relevant passage is in (german) RC, pages 63 and 64, "Wer sind die Infizierten?". Please note that SINless technically do have human rights.

And since RC is a CORE rule book expansion, while RW is but a sourcebook, RC, not RW, sets the standards. Sad as that is.
Dread Moores
QUOTE (Grinder @ May 10 2010, 09:24 AM) *

You know, I seem to remember somebody writing something about that a while back. In a crazy colored font even. Oh, yeah, that's right!

QUOTE (Grinder @ May 7 2010, 08:53 AM) *
The RC-stuff about Infected is debatable, but do so in another thread, ok?

rotate.gif
Sengir
QUOTE (hermit @ May 10 2010, 04:46 PM) *
Yes. The quote was about the stuff from Runners Companion. Obviously you would NOT find it in the RW, then.

The relevant passage is in (german) RC, pages 63 and 64, "Wer sind die Infizierten?".

Yep, this passage says that Infected can apply for a criminal SIN in the CAS,NEC and UCAS, but just a page earlier it also says:
It is telling that only 35 nations around the world afford equal rights and citizenry to HMHVV infected, and those only to some.

So I guess "debatable" is the correct word. "Poor/missing QA" (as the authors themselves have said) would be another good one wink.gif

Please note that SINless technically do have human rights.

Since there are standing bounties on all Infected (ghouls included) I guess that does not apply to Infected and possibly non-homo sapients. That wouldn't make sense? Well, we are talking about immigrations laws.

But if we want to continue this discussion it should ge into a seperate thread, we've strained Grinder's patience enough grinbig.gif
hermit
QUOTE (sengir)
But if we want to continue this discussion it should ge into a seperate thread, we've strained Grinder's patience enough

True enough. Cont'd here.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ May 4 2010, 07:02 PM) *
I don't see the Battletech setting as the 8th world (or even the 7th) whatsoever. Just because FASA incorporated elements from Shadowrun into Earthdawn, that doesn't mean all their settings are related. If so, I demand my street mage have access to a TARDIS or, at the very least, a Constitution-class starship.

Emphasis mine.

An original Connie, or refit from the films? (I'd link to my STRPG support site, but it's such a different system that some folks would throw things at me.)
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ May 10 2010, 07:57 PM) *
An original Connie, or refit from the films?

Got any rules for one of those Apple iConstitutions built in the deep canyons of Iowa from the reboot timeline? silly.gif
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (RunnerPaul @ May 10 2010, 06:45 PM) *
Got any rules for one of those Apple iConstitutions built in the deep canyons of Iowa from the reboot timeline? silly.gif

Actually, there is a writeup for both the Enterprise and the Kelvin from that film, though not for the FASA system. I don't know that I necessarily agree with the writeups, but someone went to some trouble to make them, and so I host them. Check out http://strpg.patrickgoodman.org and scroll down to the Starships section.

And I really need to stop this threadjack before I get even more off topic than I am already.
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Furluge @ May 7 2010, 07:18 PM) *

Aah, I still remember what got LAMs banned in my regular weekly games...

Me kicking the head off an Atlas in the first rounds of a game, before it had even fired a shot.

Go go hover charge.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012