Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bug Spirits and DNA
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Steel Eyes
Okay, when a bug spirit infests a host (either good or bad merge), does it change the DNA or Astral DNA of its host body?
Nikoli
It's been a while since I read or had anything to do with the UB storyline. My guess is that is does not, no more-so than possession does.
Gordon
I would suspect they do; the host body exhibits radical changes physiologically.
spotlite
I would certainly say they do change it. True forms obviously don't because they emerge as fully fledge spirits which I would imagine don't have DNA!

Flesh forms though, as Steel Eyes said, exhibit such strong irreversible physiological effects that their DNA really has to change to some extent. What extent is unclear though. They may still be identifiable as the host if analysis was done, depending on the extent of the changes, or they might only be identifiable as 'was once a troll' or 'a dog' etc. Its really a GM call. Its magic so just about anything is possible. Its not like a normal possession remember - its permanent and irreversible. Even if you banish the spirit the person the carcass used to belong to is gone forever.
Nikoli
Wow, never knew that. Will definitely have to remember that for later...
Savior
It sounds as if someone is thinkin of cloning some of those "changed" beings... Well at least i am Ala Aliens Ressurection
sable twilight
QUOTE (spotlite)
They may still be identifiable as the host if analysis was done, depending on the extent of the changes, or they might only be identifiable as 'was once a troll' or 'a dog' etc.

I didn't know you could use non-sentient beings as bug spirit hosts. That makes things a lot more dangerous, since it could take quite a while before people start noticing a bunch of stray missing.
spotlite
Threats 2 details this, but it IS there in the bug rules in MITS. P128, Summoning Insect Spirits, para 2, sentence 2:

'This (host) body is usually that of a metahuman, but in a pinch other bodies, such as animals and paracritters, will serve as well'

Threats 2 talks of a certain corporation-who-should-know-better's efforts to breed and control bug hives, using things like hellhounds and other nastiness.

I'm guessing they use metahumans (like trolls, which is REALLY nasty) in preference because a good merge can infiltrate human society and gather more hosts more easily than an animal can. For soldiers though, animals make more sense - they're generally faster and have built in weaponry for a start off.
Nikoli
Heh, a corp that should know better. Ya know, SR would have a lot fewer issues if the powers that be would sit down and watch some old flat vid sci-fi horror and take it to heart.
Jason Farlander
QUOTE (spotlite)
Flesh forms though, as Steel Eyes said, exhibit such strong irreversible physiological effects that their DNA really has to change to some extent. What extent is unclear though. They may still be identifiable as the host if analysis was done, depending on the extent of the changes, or they might only be identifiable as 'was once a troll' or 'a dog' etc. Its really a GM call. Its magic so just about anything is possible. Its not like a normal possession remember - its permanent and irreversible. Even if you banish the spirit the person the carcass used to belong to is gone forever.

A quickened Transform spell also produces major permanent physiological changes. Would you say that said spell alters the subject's DNA? I wouldn't, for the same reason I don't need to know the precise chemical reaction that changes organic tissue into limestone when the petrify spell is cast -- there isn't one. Its just magic.

The irreversibility in this case is the result of a "merge" between the host's essence and that of the insect spirit.

Oh, and if the DNA *were* altered/clonable I'm sure Ares would have figured that out *really* quickly.
Req
I'd look at it as the process of merging acts much like permanently sustaining a spell on the host that is responsible for the changes. For much the same reason I'd think Control Emotions doesn't directly stimulate seratonin/dopamine levels in the brain; it just Controls their Emotions.

I think magic follows different laws, and in the SR world, we're not so clear yet on what they are.
spotlite
QUOTE (Jason Farlander)
A quickened Transform spell also produces major permanent physiological changes. Would you say that said spell alters the subject's DNA? I wouldn't, for the same reason I don't need to know the precise chemical reaction that changes organic tissue into limestone when the petrify spell is cast -- there isn't one. Its just magic.

I did allow for the fact that its magic, so anythings possible, including both changing and NOT changing the DNA. But a being which had a quickened transform spell on them would show as human under DNA analysis because as soon as its seperated from the main body it will revert back to human flesh. If you could check DNA without taking a sample - which is impossible as far as I know. To run it through a machine requires the dna being analysed is seperated from the cell its from, never mind the being itself! - then I might well rule that the DNA was changed. Its a physical spell. It literally changes the subject.

But that's by the by. The point I was making is that its a GM call. I was more suggesting reasons why you could justify to your players why (or why not) the DNA was changed.

Heh, a corp that should know better. Ya know, SR would have a lot fewer issues if the powers that be would sit down and watch some old flat vid sci-fi horror and take it to heart.

I'm talking about a specific corp, who really should know better. I'm just trying (and probably failing) to not give the game away to people (or players) who might not have the threats 2 books, is all. I mean yeah, I agree with what you're saying, I just wanted to make clear I'm not being all that naive - of COURSE you wouldn't be surprised to learn of a corp doing this kind of thing. Its just a bit odd in this case.
ShadowPhoenix
I just had a nasty thought vegm.gif imagine what would happen if bug spirits managed to take over one of those Doc Wagon Cloning facilities vegm.gif if I remember correctly, bug spirits can be really intelligent, wonder if they could make the facility continue to spew out clones for conversion. Anyone know if a clone merge would work well? I've got evil plans for my players vegm.gif
spotlite
I see no reason why not, depending on whether or not you buy the official line about it being 'impossible' to create a viable human clone. If they aren't mentally viable, its probably not possible for the bug to possess them. i base this assumption on the fact that you can get a good merge which possess the abilities and knowledge of the original (which answers your other question - can they run a cloning facility? sure, if they good merge one of the medicos). If you can get a good merge, it stands to reason that they use the mind of the host as well. Without that mind, there may be nothing suitable astrally to 'get hold' of. note - I don't mean NOTHING astrally, just maybe nothing suitable.

Edit: Personally, I'd say why not have them take over the city pound? They can round up strays and host them, using the good merges (ex pound employees) to seek out new prey. you can increase your chances of getting a good merge by sustaining an increased willpower spell on your victim when you incubate them, giving them additional successes (more successes the better for a good merge remember) thereby reducing the number of people who go 'missing' which raises suspicions, and you'll have yourself an army of host bodies in a few weeks and no-one will have noticed except for the lack of wild dog packs in rougher areas, which people will actually be HAPPY about.

Good Gawd, I'm evil.
Crimson Jack
I'd agree with the "doesn't change the DNA" camp, but it seems like a GM judgment call to me.

Ugh, the Doc Wagon cloning idea needs to be kept on the down-low. Don't want anyone getting any good ideas, heh.
Gordon
I'd say that a Transform spell temporarily supercedes / creates an 'overlay' to the subject's base DNA, which is in effect and prevents the base DNA from reasserting itself as long as the spell is in effect.

Rendering it permanent via Quickening renders the overlay permanent, but the core DNA is still there, and would reassert if the spell ever goes away. A DNA scan performed on such a character would reveal two sets of DNAs, much like Astral Perception would reveal both the presence of the spell, and the Transformed subject's aura.

Now, a merge with a Bug and a host...that results in a completely unalterable change to the host's physiology: it can't change back. And removal of the Bug spirit (by whatever means) doesn't result in the host changing back to it's original physiology; the merged host will retain it's new appearance, even after death (when presumably the Bug is completely gone).

By this logic, a DNA scanner would read and document only the new, Bug changed DNA.
Req
QUOTE (Gordon)
I'd say that a Transform spell temporarily supercedes / creates an 'overlay' to the subject's base DNA, which is in effect and prevents the base DNA from reasserting itself as long as the spell is in effect.

Whoa. So you're saying, I Transform someone into a whale, and the spell changes their DNA and then the body changes to follow suit? Or the spell changes their body, which includes new DNA as a subset of that?
ShadowPhoenix
QUOTE (spotlite)
I see no reason why not, depending on whether or not you buy the official line about it being 'impossible' to create a viable human clone.

well there certainly are a lot of clones if you read Man and Machine, when you purchase a Doc Wagon Platinum they always keep 1 full clone of you, so you don't have to wait forever for cloned parts, they just lop it off of your clone in their "holding" facility. I imagine the holding facility just keeps these full clones in conditions barely suitable for human life, and in fact I've run a campaign where my party released the clones from a facility, it was funny, especially when they met their own clones. I ruled they had child-like minds. Half the party killed their own clones.

so going with the M&M book saying that clones exist, I'm just wondering if anyone has some solid info on how merges happen and what's required to get a good merge.
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (ShadowPhoenix)
Half the party killed their own clones.

meanies.
Nikoli
Had a sammeit aht wanted to go mage.. I had considered making him play his doc-wagon clone instead, since there is no rule basis for learning magic from scratch.
Gordon
QUOTE (Req)
Whoa.  So you're saying, I Transform someone into a whale, and the spell changes their DNA and then the body changes to follow suit?  Or the spell changes their body, which includes new DNA as a subset of that?

Hmmm...is that legal? I dunno, don't have the Transform rules in front of me.

Nah, what I'm saying hypothetically is -- by my own logic, granted -- the whale's DNA 'masks' the character's base DNA and therefore tricks the body into spontaneously mutating into the whale (the connection between the Aura and DNA is subverted by the 'mask'/overlay...the Aura still reflects a person...but the physical body is more interested in what the DNA says, and what the overlay says is the subject is and always has been a whale! biggrin.gif ).

The original DNA is still there, just 'masked' by the 'whale DNA'. Once the Transform spell expires, the body spontaneously changes back to the original shape.
ShadowPhoenix
QUOTE (Crimson Jack)
QUOTE (ShadowPhoenix @ Feb 19 2004, 06:08 PM)
Half the party killed their own clones.

meanies.

When you're a professional shadowrunner, and you know the escape of your clone could get you in trouble that you didn't even cause, damn skippy you kill your clone nyahnyah.gif especially when the GM is as evil as I vegm.gif the other half is paying upkeep costs to nannies and tutors to educate and babysit their clones, raising them like their own kids nyahnyah.gif I love it.
Req
QUOTE (Gordon)
QUOTE (Req)
Whoa.  So you're saying, I Transform someone into a whale, and the spell changes their DNA and then the body changes to follow suit?  Or the spell changes their body, which includes new DNA as a subset of that?

Hmmm...is that legal? I dunno, don't have the Transform rules in front of me.

Nah, what I'm saying hypothetically is -- by my own logic, granted -- the whale's DNA 'masks' the character's base DNA and therefore tricks the body into spontaneously mutating into the whale (the connection between the Aura and DNA is subverted by the 'mask'/overlay...the Aura still reflects a person...but the physical body is more interested in what the DNA says, and what the overlay says is the subject is and always has been a whale! biggrin.gif ).

The original DNA is still there, just 'masked' by the 'whale DNA'. Once the Transform spell expires, the body spontaneously changes back to the original shape.

That's what I thought you were saying. Problem is, "spontaneous mutation" is mad wack. DNA -> RNA -> Protein is a non-quick process. If Transform worked that way, I'd think the time for it to take effect (after casting - and if it worked AT ALL which I'd doubt) would be days to months.

sable twilight
How I like the World of Darkness, Mage: the Ascension way of doing things so much better.

DNA is simply a Technocracy "construct" used to explain to the sleepers, and themselves how life forms develop and inherit trains from their parents. In reality, there is no DNA. The results of life magic on a subject's "DNA" is dependent on what the observer expects to see. If a person were untouched by collective unconscious construct perpetrated by the Technocracy and believes something else makes up the physicality of a living being, then they would see no DNA. If a person was ingrained to DNA believe construct to the point they cannot accept a physicality drastically different then what the DNA coding should dictate, they would see a merged or highly unusual DNA, and likely suspect some sort of breeding, genetic engineering, or nanite reconstruction process has taken place. And like the theory Schrödinger's cat, such observations would likely influence future observation. It makes questions like these (and the weird invisibility debates) so much easier.

Yeah, I know it doesn't really help to answer the question directly, or maybe it does. This gets into the metaphysics and underlying philosophy of the Shadowrun world, especially if you include the Earthdawn crossover information in with it. Where does life come from? How did it develop? What influence does genetics have on magic or magic have on genetics? Can magical effects and enchantments be inherited (a la the elves of Blood Wood)? What happens to those effects when the mana level drops? What happens when they come back? How can creatures with out a genetic code or that even are not organic reproduce? How come so many different "styles" of magic co-exist? Are the "rules" of magic actually subjective? If so, how did they develop so quickly in the 6th age? Who came up with them? If the rules of magic are subjective and mutable to some degree, then what about technology? Where does not draw the line between technology and magic, especially when one can create a sustaining focus or quicken a spell on an object that does the same thing as a technological one?

Okay, now I know I'm going on a huge tangent here. So I'll leave it at that.
ShadowPhoenix
spontaneous change of DNA would cause a spontaneous change in person, a la goblinization of humans, if the sudden activation of dna would cause a regular human to grow horns and tusks in seconds and become a troll, then I don't see why DNA overlay wouldn't explain the drastic change in metahumans by the insect merge.
Gordon
QUOTE (Req @ Feb 19 2004, 01:44 PM)
That's what I thought you were saying.  Problem is, "spontaneous mutation" is mad wack.  DNA -> RNA -> Protein is a non-quick process.  If Transform worked that way, I'd think the time for it to take effect (after casting - and if it worked AT ALL which I'd doubt) would be days to months.

This is all just conjecture, obviously, an attempt to explain scientifically a non-scientific process. But a change to the root blueplans describing a living entity's structure could hypothetically result in a quick change.

But you bring up an interesting point...cuz' if you think about it, the merge between Bug and host is a lengthy process, which lends a bit more credence to the idea that it is a deep seating change to the host's physiology, down perhaps to the DNA level.

sable twilight
So here is a question then, do bug spirits have their own DNA pattern? What about other spirits? What about big spirits in spirit form? If bug spirits have DNA when in a host body, but not in spirit form, then when do they gain DNA? Does this mean that other spirits have the potential to manifest DNA? What happens to the DNA of a creature that has a spirit merge with it, such as a spirit ally?
Req
QUOTE (ShadowPhoenix)
spontaneous change of DNA would cause a spontaneous change in person, a la goblinization of humans, if the sudden activation of dna would cause a regular human to grow horns and tusks in seconds and become a troll, then I don't see why DNA overlay wouldn't explain the drastic change in metahumans by the insect merge.

Last I checked, goblinization took days to weeks. Anyone with a canon source close to hand?
Req
QUOTE (Gordon)
QUOTE (Req @ Feb 19 2004, 01:44 PM)
That's what I thought you were saying.  Problem is, "spontaneous mutation" is mad wack.  DNA -> RNA -> Protein is a non-quick process.  If Transform worked that way, I'd think the time for it to take effect (after casting - and if it worked AT ALL which I'd doubt) would be days to months.

This is all just conjecture, obviously, an attempt to explain scientifically a non-scientific process. But a change to the root blueplans describing a living entity's structure could hypothetically result in a quick change.

But you bring up an interesting point...cuz' if you think about it, the merge between Bug and host is a lengthy process, which lends a bit more credence to the idea that it is a deep seating change to the host's physiology, down perhaps to the DNA level.

It only could if there was another magical process to catalyze the quick change. If you're postulating DNA as the control of the whole thing, we're bound by the mechanisms by which DNA works, and they're not quick.

Also, if you're burning cellular energy sources to catalyze the creation of new tissue, etc etc, where is it coming from? Does Transform also provide ATP?

I think it makes a lot more sense not to try to bring molecular bio into this sort of thing - it breaks down right quick.
spotlite
I don't think the DNA change (if any) from a transform spell is necessarily deliberate. The body is just changed into whatever. to all intents and purposes. That the DNA might change is simply a by-product. It is changed instantly because its magic. And I maintain that if a DNA sample was taken in these circumstances it would detect as whatever they really are because as soon as the DNA leaves contact with the spell's aura it will revert.

As far as the viable cloning thing - yes M&M states that people are cloned in their entirety for parts harvesting. But the clones aren't viable. they cannot exist independently, aside from their autonomous nervous system, which is intact. They have no mind.

This is what I mean by accepting the official line:

Either 1, it is as the book says and it just isn't possible, and has nothing to do with the conditions the clones are maintained in regardless of what plausible explanations you could use - the game information states explicitly it isn't possible, but does not give a reason. It just isn't possible. if this was purely in the In-character section then I'd agree some leeway, but it isn't.

Or 2 - you don't accept the official line and the reason for non-viable clones is something physical, perhaps the forced maturation needed to grow a full sized adult ruins their minds, or they are kept in dodgy conditions, or their brains are only three months old cos that kind of neural tissue can't be force matured, or whatever. But if you accept it, there is no scientific reason, it just isn't possible. If you don't, then go for your life. Clones are possible and there's a reason no-one knows about it.

As far as bug DNA, well its pretty obvious I'd say. if they DO alter the DNA (still a GM call, imho), then I'd say depending on how good the merge is, they will detect as part original creature, and part bug, to a greater or lesser degree. They might still be identifiable as who they once were, but analysis will show up also 'non-human' DNA. On further investigation you'd probably discover partial Fly, or Beetle, or whatever DNA mixed up in there.

Again, it doesn't matter too much if this is a scientifically viable proposition. Magic has been involved, and so (altogether now) anything is possible. Standard get out clause wherever magic is involved and it sounds a bit odd.
Req
QUOTE (sable twilight)
So here is a question then, do bug spirits have their own DNA pattern? What about other spirits? What about big spirits in spirit form? If bug spirits have DNA when in a host body, but not in spirit form, then when do they gain DNA? Does this mean that other spirits have the potential to manifest DNA? What happens to the DNA of a creature that has a spirit merge with it, such as a spirit ally?

I'd think it's obvious that spirits do not have DNA. Remember what DNA does. It codes for proteins. Nothing else. Proteins do the real work. smile.gif

Spirits are composed of fire, or of stuff on the street, or whatever, and held together by magical energy. What need have they of protein coding? Bug spirits are a slightly different story but I'd postulate that they don't have a genetic code of their own. I don't think spirits ever gain DNA. How would they replicate it?

DNA is not "necessary for life" and it's not magic. It's just the way things worked out here on Earth. It certainly isn't necessary in the Astral plane, I'd bet.
sable twilight
QUOTE (Req)
QUOTE (sable twilight @ Feb 19 2004, 10:57 AM)
So here is a question then, do bug spirits have their own DNA pattern?  What about other spirits?  What about big spirits in spirit form?  If bug spirits have DNA when in a host body, but not in spirit form, then when do they gain DNA?  Does this mean that other spirits have the potential to manifest DNA?  What happens to  the DNA of a creature that has a spirit merge with it, such as a spirit ally?

I'd think it's obvious that spirits do not have DNA. Remember what DNA does. It codes for proteins. Nothing else. Proteins do the real work. smile.gif

Spirits are composed of fire, or of stuff on the street, or whatever, and held together by magical energy. What need have they of protein coding? Bug spirits are a slightly different story but I'd postulate that they don't have a genetic code of their own. I don't think spirits ever gain DNA. How would they replicate it?

DNA is not "necessary for life" and it's not magic. It's just the way things worked out here on Earth. It certainly isn't necessary in the Astral plane, I'd bet.

So for your campaign the answer would be pretty straight forward. Bug spirit merges do not effect DNA since they have no DNA to begin with? The magic of the bug spirit suppresses the natural encoding of the DNA. So what happens when the spirit is removed? Does the DNA of the former host take back over? Does the former slowly start to change back to their former self?
Gordon
QUOTE (sable twilight)
So for your campaign the answer would be pretty straight forward. Bug spirit merges do not effect DNA since they have no DNA to begin with?  The magic of the bug spirit suppresses the natural encoding of the DNA.  So what happens when the spirit is removed?  Does the DNA of the former host take back over?  Does the former slowly start to change back to their former self?

That's the deal...dead hosts (and removing the spirit kills the host) still remain in their 'changed state'...they don't revert back to their state prior to being infected.
ShadowPhoenix
QUOTE (Req)
QUOTE (ShadowPhoenix @ Feb 19 2004, 10:48 AM)

Last I checked, goblinization took days to weeks. Anyone with a canon source close to hand?

well if you look in the SR3 Corebook, there is a picture there depicting a guy who was wearing a nice suit and glasses suddenly ripping his suit to pieces and his glasses flying from his face, so from the looks of that picture at least(no page number I don't have my SR3 core handy) I'd say he wasn't expecting to be over 7 foot tall in a hurry.
nezumi
QUOTE (spotlite)
Or 2 - you don't accept the official line and the reason for non-viable clones is something physical, perhaps the forced maturation needed to grow a full sized adult ruins their minds, or they are kept in dodgy conditions, or their brains are only three months old cos that kind of neural tissue can't be force matured, or whatever. But if you accept it, there is no scientific reason, it just isn't possible. If you don't, then go for your life. Clones are possible and there's a reason no-one knows about it.

You could argue that it's related to essence. Something about being conceived in a test tube retards the creation of the creature's natural spirit, crippling its essence and causing it to suffer a quick death when its not being actively supported. Therefore, scientifically the stuff is all fine, and before the awakening it would have all worked, but now that magic is powerful again, we need a way to breathe spiritual as well as physical life into our offspring.

I'd generally agree with Req. Bug spirits are magical beings not of earth, there's no reason why they would have DNA. In fact, considering what I've seen about how they reproduce, I think it's quite unlikely they could even support DNA. I would, however, argue that a transformation spell might change the caster's DNA, since he is now the new creature, and one of the features of being a dog or whatever, along with a tail and fur, is having canine DNA.
sable twilight
QUOTE (ShadowPhoenix)
QUOTE (Req @ Feb 19 2004, 06:57 PM)

well if you look in the SR3 Corebook, there is a picture there depicting a guy who was wearing a nice suit and glasses suddenly ripping his suit to pieces and his glasses flying from his face, so from the looks of that picture at least(no page number I don't have my SR3 core handy) I'd say he wasn't expecting to be over 7 foot tall in a hurry.

Does the picture have a caption, such as "Human sararyman undergoes sudden goblinization"? It could be the effect of a transform spell.
nezumi
QUOTE (sable twilight)
QUOTE (ShadowPhoenix @ Feb 19 2004, 02:18 PM)
QUOTE (Req @ Feb 19 2004, 06:57 PM)

Does the picture have a caption, such as "Human sararyman undergoes sudden goblinization"? It could be the effect of a transform spell.

Could also be the effect of artists taking liberties, as they're prone to do.
sable twilight
QUOTE (nezumi @ Feb 19 2004, 04:03 PM)
QUOTE (sable twilight @ Feb 19 2004, 02:27 PM)
Does the picture have a caption, such as "Human sararyman undergoes sudden goblinization"?  It could be the effect of a transform spell.

Could also be the effect of artists taking liberties, as they're prone to do.

Yeah, but I just like the idea of (the now deceased) Rikki Ratboy transforming some corp exec who upset him into a troll. He's done worse (like quickening a stink spell to a nightclub he got thrown out of).

Edit: I can see the caption now: "Rikki Ratboy dishes out a little poetic justice on a Humanis member."
Req
QUOTE (Gordon)
QUOTE (sable twilight)
So for your campaign the answer would be pretty straight forward. Bug spirit merges do not effect DNA since they have no DNA to begin with?  The magic of the bug spirit suppresses the natural encoding of the DNA.  So what happens when the spirit is removed?  Does the DNA of the former host take back over?  Does the former slowly start to change back to their former self?

That's the deal...dead hosts (and removing the spirit kills the host) still remain in their 'changed state'...they don't revert back to their state prior to being infected.

Perhaps that's because, if you're dead, it doesn't really matter what your DNA has to say.

You can't remove the spirit without killing the host.
ShadowPhoenix
QUOTE (sable twilight @ Feb 19 2004, 07:27 PM)

Does the picture have a caption, such as "Human sararyman undergoes sudden goblinization"?  It could be the effect of a transform spell.

it might, it might not have a caption, but this I do know, it's in the area of the SR3 Core that talks about Goblinization. I'll get page reference soon.

[edit] Also if I recall correctly, I think it did say something in the core about "Goblinization Day" when a ton of people spontaneously expressed due to the mana waxing [/edit]
Fortune
QUOTE (ShadowPhoenix)
well there certainly are a lot of clones if you read Man and Machine, when you purchase a Doc Wagon Platinum they always keep 1 full clone of you, so you don't have to wait forever for cloned parts, they just lop it off of your clone in their "holding" facility.

While clones do exist, it is not possible yet in canon to clone the brain, so fully-functional clones do not exist in the Sixth World. Clones as they appear in Shadowrun would not be viable sources for Bug Spirit merges.
k1tsune
I thought that in Goblinization, you're not actually changing the DNA, just suddenly letting other bits of the DNA work.
Kanada Ten
Goblinization and UGE both work by allowing the DNA's shape to funnel mana. Its shape is determined by the 90% inactive portion.

I would rule that the DNA is altered for all but good merges to a degree proportional to the change. However, the DNA does not show signs of insect investation. Instead it seems to be rotting or degrading.
toturi
I would use the Terminus Experiment method of explaining why the DNA of the host doesn't change. Rather the mundane aspects of the DNA doesn't change, it is the the meta-DNA/Insect spirit interaction that causes the change in the host. In a Flesh form the astral shadow of the Insect astral form causes a change in the astral DNA of the metahuman which in turn inflences the mundane DNA. Without the influence of the astral Insect shadow, the DNA material left by the host (say if a claw was cut off) would revert back to pre-host condition.

I do not have UB or any Insect sourcebook other than MITS, and MITS doesn't say anything on the subject so the above description is flavour, not Canon(Hey, it's me!).
ShadowPhoenix
SR3 Core, Pg 27 Picture/Pg 28 Details...

On April 30 2021, all over the world, one out of every ten adults suddenly metamorphosized into hideous shapes.

I think at least the initial onset of UGE was drastic, the rest, may have come more subtley than that. I could see how the insect spirit merge would possibly mess up the channeling of mana into the dna, causing a sudden UGE of insect traits. That's how I'd play it anyway.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012