Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Tragic Kingdom
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
fistandantilus4.0
The elf shakes his head.
Unless we find information that tells us otherwise, I suggest we stay clear of the tunnels. There is no cover, no cnealment, and limited access areas. Top that off with little room to move, and your size, for one, and we have the makings of a fatal funnel of epic proportions. Those tunnels could very easily become a death trap. I strongly suggest we only use them as a last resort.
Ol' Scratch
"Can't rule them out completely just yet. We don't know what the situation is like in there. For all we know, this thing could have a fleet of flying drones at its beck and call. If that's the case, I'd rather risk a tunnel system: At least that way we'd only have to defend from two directions at any given time. Otherwise, yeah man, I get where you're coming from."
Tashio
Pretty sure those tunnels are large enough, as wide as a street at least, considering all the props and stuff they move around and store down there. I don't think size is the issue, but lack of exit options is.

And yes I think the rides are off limit, besides I think I exceed the hight and weight restrictions.

We also need to consider any additional equipment we might need, if we do we need to order pretty soon so they can have it preped. Prehaps some armor and additional ammo if anyone needs, and prehaps some "delicate" explosives if you don't have.

Beckett pauses a moment, he raises an eyebrow at Scratch and continues... "Rigger thingamajigger? Might now be a bad time to inform you our pilot is not human?"
fistandantilus4.0
Of course, taking the lesser of risks will have to be our course. We're going to have to be careful with ammunition. I'd suggest proceeding assuming that we will not get resupplied in any timely manner, if at all. Hopefully, if there is a substantial drone presence, the vaunted presence of Ares will help mitigate that.

In any case, assessing our oppositions strength should be a high priority. We can assume that there will be at least some civilians present as well. The bottom line is that any that follow us will endanger our lives, much less our mission. We should keep an eye out for any "safe" zones. I wouldn't be surprised if the 'guardians' stay within certain regions. After all, if we're going into a segregated area, it makes sense that if the local scenery is what we are looking at, they wil lstay to those areas. There fore it should be possible to "clear" an area.

Of course, all of this is conjecture until we get on the ground. It may be that we will need to fire on 'innocents'. I personally am carrying some gel round. They would work best as a deterrent. But we should strive to make at least one haven available.
Ol' Scratch
"Way ahead of you, guys." At this point, Scratch sets his bottle down and reaches under the table to pull out one of his Kevlar-stitched duffle bags. Flipping through the combination of a padlock, he opens it and unzips the bag. Inside is a fraggin' arsenal of ammunitions, weapons, a survival kit, and personal armor -- and that's just the first bag.

"Course, I only brought 'nuff for myself. But yeah, I took it as a given that you guys would be smart enough to do the same. If you haven't, you really need to get to making a list ASAP. I was lucky enough to know some guys who could set me up in a hurry. Horizon's not exactly known for being in the boom boom biz, so they may need a bit more time."

When Beckett offers his afterthought, the satyr gives the mage a curious look. "Wait, he's going in with us? I thought he was just dropping us off. And wait wait, what? Not a human? You sure, man? He seemed real enough to me."
Tashio
Beckett chuckles softly.

Yup, they've done a pretty good job on him, from a guess a robotic anthroform with biomatter over the top. Pretty impressive. I don't think he is going in with us, I would think he's just the pilot.

How are we looking on medical supplies? I've got a couple patches and such but nothing major. Those should be easy enough to get quickly, ideally before we even head in, and prehaps organise to have some heavier medical gear dropped in later. I've got pretty much everything I need here in my bag.

I think securing an alternative drop site to the pools might be a good idea, gives us a couple outs. If they can produce something like our pilot I'm sure they can organise us a couple turrets for securing an area?

SinN
Jack looks at Scratch, a bit unsure what he's asking.

Uh? A good time you wont have to pay for?

Most of the planning he listens too. If he has something to say, he'll chime in unanounced, per usual.
Ol' Scratch
With a sigh, Scratch seems to hit a certain threshold as he looks over at Jack.

"Look, I'm just trying to figure out what we have to work with. I get that you like to be a smartass. God knows I'm one, too. But I'm not the kind of guy willing to risk a million-nuyen payday just so I can crack some wise, and I'm definitely not the kind of guy willing to risk it so some other clown can, either. And as far as I can tell right now you're little more than a liability who's either going to get yourself killed, or worse, one of us. So either get with the fraggin' program or take the next flight back to the Emerald City after we land 'cause I sure as Hell ain't gonna waltz into a technocolor death trap with a guy who doesn't have a wit of common sense about him. Capisce?"
SinN
Jack turns to face Scratch.

Alright, listen here ya Lucifer wanna-be. I can hold my own just fine, and any one elses if it should be neccessary, with this group I think not. I already took this from the J becuase I had too. I dont have to from you. Ya dig? I think you and I are one in the same as far as our purpose for the job goes. Muscle. I joke and kid so you all dont sit around and depress about your oh-so tragic past, and possible dangers we'll be facing in the next 24 hours. When we get in there, you'll be doing the exact same thing as me, feeling lucky about the rest of us bein there. You dont need to worry about what Im gonna be like once the job starts.

Jack steps in a bit closer. Obvious agression in his tone.

But anytime you feel like settling that, wait till after the job. Id be happy to slap the Satan right out of you. But until then, we watch each others backs, and get paid. So-ka?

Jack waits a moment, making it a point not to break eye contact. After a few awkward seconds, he steps back. Seemingly bothered that he lost his cool.

Morn, please continue.
fistandantilus4.0
The elf resists a sigh, hoping this is not a marker of things to come.

I can understand a certain amount of needing to vent prior to an entry, but really, how is this going to better any of us We do not have to like each other. We do not need to be on a first name basis. It is usually preferabble, however all we need is confidence in competancy. Being that any of us are actually here implies that to a certain degree. Let us not push it to an out and out pissing contest and comparing equipment.

As to medical supplies, a park this size is going to have limited medical facilities. They would have to do to liability and hte size of the park. I would go so far as to guarantee that they are not only going to have on site security, but a standing agreement with out side security enforcement or their own SRT. Which means if we take a little time, we could look through previous events in the park and likely find a nubmer of good muster points, entry and control points, high ground, and all manner of tactical provisions in place. There is also going to be an armoory somewhere as well as a likely well equipped med center. A little matrix hunting on previous issues with the park, correlated to the maps we've been given, should get us well and set that way.

So, to recap , we have on site: transportation, medical, an armory, and most certainly an overwatch surveillance system, which, by the way, should be a priority in either taking control of, or disabling. I'm certain that if there is any kind of intelligence behind this, the parks "eyes" would be one of their first targets. It's a large area, and that's the easiet way to cover a lot of ground.
SinN
Jack nods in agreement.

Excellent. I think thats a good call there. It was mentioned earlier about other survivors wanting to come with us. I dunno about the rest of you guys, but I cant in good concience turn them away and send them to die. So what are we planning for that?
Ol' Scratch
Scratch growls deep in his throat. "Maybe if you weren't such a fraggin' douchebag, people wouldn't treat you like one. Ever consider that, you sodding buunda?" Uhoh, he just went or'zet on Jack's ass. Fortunately, he had the insight to deactivate the feed to his arms, else it looks very much like a swing or two might have been thrown to emphasize his points.

When Morn pipes up, however, the satyr seems to cool down a few notches. Leaning back in his chair, he reactives his arms and cracks his knuckles as he tries to find his center. "Yeah, yeah," is all he says at first. He rolls his head to the side, popping his neck. Apparently, he didn't have quite as much success in finding that center as is made evident when he turns and stares daggers into Jack's eyes. "Just answer a fraggin' question when someone asks you something, and quit being an all around dickhead. Then we'll be fine. If you can't do that, then yeah, we'll continue to have a problem. It's all up to you."

"Dude, just chill. Take the higher road. Let the fragtard be a fragtard. You know what Stitch said about your heart. Just chill, dude. Chill."

Instead of continuing, Scratch seems to decide to just ignore Jack for now. He turns to the other two and frowns at himself. "Sorry about that. Anyway, yeah, I don't think we gots much to worry about in the medical department. There should be medkits galore in there. I got one built in and another one in my bags, and I'd suggest you guys ask for a Savior on your requisition lists if'n you ain't already got one. How're those coming, by the way? And, yeah, like Morn said, I imagine they have an armory on site somewhere, too, though I imagine that's going to be heavily fortified by the time we get in there. If we start running low on guns and ammo, though, we'll have to consider finding a way in. I'm guessing it's in one of these areas..."

Scratch grabs his virtual map and presses down, causing the map to load the lower levels. He points to four separate areas, highlighting them in the process, with each being a clearly shielded area with a lot of room inside.

"But yeah, I'm sure the HRT guys will have more details. But until we can get a complete rundown, well... I think those are the most likely spots." He spins the map around a few more times, looking at it from different vantages.

"We're really not going to know what's what til we get inside and do some recon. The important thing is that we gotta figure out where... whatever the frag is doing this is... has taken our principles, and how we're gonna get to them with minimal resistance. Everything else at this point is time wasted, I'd think. I mean, if there is a med center but it's on the other side of the park, it's not going to be worth the time wasted to get there. Know what I mean? If things get heated, though, one of our first stops should probably be the security center. They have to have one, right?"

Taking about the job seems to have succeeded where his own willpower failed. By the time he finishes talking, he seems to be back to his more relaxed state.
Tashio
I think untill we are in and know the true situation on the ground I think it will be difficult to forumate an exact plan on what to do with the most likely situation of civillians. We're also not being paid to earn brownie points for Horizon for a wholesale rescue mission of everyone. We may need a number of secure rooms depending on the status and location of the various board members.

A quick thought comes to mind and Beckett reaches up and hits the AR Call button. When Dunne responds he queries. Dunne would you know the company policy in a case like this where a number of the board are in jeopardy, would they remain together or would they split up?
SinN
Just stay cool Jack. Its just a story, a myth. The fortune teller is just.....I dont know what. But its not true. You are in control of your actions. You just need to calm down. Its been a long day is all. A really long, unnatural angry day. Oh man.

Jack has his arms crossed listening to the plan trying to stay focused on the job.

So you mean to say we aren't picking up civillians? Just so we're clear?

Jack turns to Beckett.

Good thinking on the policy by the way.
fistandantilus4.0
I think we should also keep in mind our minimum specifications for completion. Mission objectives include our primary target, and our six secondary. For those , we require at a minimum data modules to meet the corporations needs. At the worst case scenario, data modules travel easier than bodies. Seven personnel could be difficult to move in a heated situation.

Our optimal mission includes finding a way out for those personnel. That means we will requrie a fall back point to secure htem if they are not in a group, medical care if any are injured, and transportation.

That means our primary objectives need to be security access controls and surveillance, medical, and transportation. We need to locate the sections that will relate to that. Security is likely going to be the toughest to gain access to and control, so it makes sense that we should make a move on their main security site while we are at our strongest, then utilize what information we can get there to move to secondary objectives. Agreed?

Morn tries to keep his breathing even, fucking amazed that he of all people ended up beign the voice of reason. He would have put his money on the troll personally.

Ol' Scratch
"That's all a given, but I'm going to do what I can to get as many people out of there alive as I can. I was in the arcology during that shutdown. No way I'm going to let others go through what I had to go through in there if I can help it. Just... no fragging way in Hell, man. I mean, it's DisneyWorld, guys. There's gonna be kids in there.

"But, uh, yeah. Beckett's idea to create secure areas as we go to shore them up sounds pretty good to me. Hitting their armory so we can arm them should be a big priority, too. Maybe you can ask for a few extra security drones instead? Assuming you have the moxie to keep them under your control if this is Deus 2.0. No offense or anything, just askin'."

Spooling up his attention coprocessor, Scratch reaches down and begins searching this his bags. In the second one he finds what he's looking for; an Enfield AS-7 shotgun. He lifts it up and places it on the table after clipping his commlink back to his belt and scooting the food out of the way. Reaching down, he also grabs a small toolkit, which he unfolds across his lap.

"Don't mind me guys, you got my full attention still. Just need to get this taken care of before we land." Having said that, he begins working on replacing the weapon's barrel.

Armorer Test
[ Spoiler ]
SinN
Im with Ol'Scratch.

Wait, what?

We cant just leave people in there. We need to do what we can. If it really bothers you that much to go out of your way, then Ill put my cut of the money on it. That be enough to persuade you?

Jack lets the group think a moment.

And yes, I also think Becketts plan to find the secure areas would work.
fistandantilus4.0
The elf puts his hands up in a placating gesture.
I think you're misunderstanding my postion. Firstly, this isn't the Arcology. There's one very big difference here. Well, two actually. First ... walls. This isn't a building. It's a giant park. Any wall taht can't be gotten over can be demolished. People can get out. Second, there isn't a trio of nuclear reactors in the basement. Once they've had time to gather their senses, Knight Errant can come in force. The HRT failed because of their numbers, and an unexpected response. We are an advance team, specifically brought in to deal with specific targets. That's why they paid the premium. That's our job. Anyone else that we can assist along the way is bonus.

Hell, that park will probably still have some people hiding away once we're done. If you're concerned for you immortal souls, go back in when we're done.
Ol' Scratch
"Just sayin', man. If I see people who need help, I'm not gonna just leave them to fend for themselves. I have every intention of getting the job done, but that doesn't mean we can't help people out on the side. And yeah, it's not the arcology... but it's clearly still a death trap. If an HRT is getting slaughtered, you really think innocent families are gonna stand much of a chance?"
fistandantilus4.0
I'm not here to debate the morals of the situation, I'm here to do a job. We're a four man insertion team. We do not have the capabilities or armament required to retake the place, so we shouldn't be planning on it. We should be focusing on the task at hand and take the rest as advantage gives us.
It's the first time Morn's voice has gone from anything but completely even. Apparently he doesn't like deviation.
Ol' Scratch
"I'm not saying anything of the sort. I'm saying that if we see some people who need help, I'm helping 'em. I'm not gonna let a bunch of kids and their parents die if I can do anything to help out. But I'm not gonna risk the job either."
SinN
Noticing the tension rising again, Jack steps close to Scratch so he can speak just loud enough for only them to hear. Practicly a whisper.

We're obviously on the page here. Ofcourse we cant jepordies the job. But, you and I can work together on getting people out and safe, if it should come to that. Soka? So lets just finish the game plan and then we can all go relax till we get there.
fistandantilus4.0
Then does anyone else have any suggestions on how we proceed?
Ol' Scratch
In response to Morn's question, Scratch looks up from his shotgun to give Beckett an expected look.
SinN
Jack shrugs.

You mean after we've taken security cams?
fistandantilus4.0
The elf sighs.
Yes, after we take the cameras. Granted there is only so much prepatory work we can do without having a fuller picture. But we should have some sort of sketched idea of how we want to proceed.

I'd suggest getting a couple of vehicles as quickly as possible as well.
Lady Door
At Beckett's question, Dunne's carefully modulated voice sounds over the intercom system. "In times of distress, company protocol calls for the group to remain together and make any attempt at communication possible. However, a situation like this has never occurred before... it is entirely possible that protocol has not been observed."

@Scratch:
[ Spoiler ]
fistandantilus4.0
The elf listens to the intercomm'd voice for a moment.
It's likely they would try to stick together in any case. The question is if they would have the ability. If the park has a system of patrol drones, we can probably use those to get a good read on those biomonitors.
Tashio
I'm all for helping the people in there but we need to keep focus on what we are being paid to do. Hopefully if we can secure the security and communication centres we might be able to prevent anything more from happening in the first place, but our goal is to rescue those board members. If we can secure enough areas and get people to them once we have the board members out we can look at other options if KE does not look like they are going to get involved fast enough. Okay so looks like we can hope they are all together but odds are one or two might have been seperated.

Though at a minimum we only need their data modules don't think Horizon will appreciate us chopping their heads' heads off to make our own lives easier if they still live.

I think we are all agreed then. Secure various key points, security, armory, medical, command centres, and any potentional secure locations for use of save havening civilians and board members, round them up, secure the LZ and get out, but as they say, the fire casualty of war is the battle plan.

So couple Savior medical kits, I'm going to need some summoning materials on arrival. Anything else for the order and I think we're done.

Beckett looks around the the rest.
SinN
Spare ammo, never know how much we'll need. And a safe house. A rendevouz point if and when we get seperated.
Ol' Scratch
Scratch wrinkles his nose.

"Did we watch the same vid back at Greer's office? I dunno... to me it looked like the hit was very specific. Whatever it is was after the board members. I'd say it's a safe bet they were captured soon after the feed was lost. We also need to assume that whatever is responsible is smart. Crazy smart. The real question is: What did it want with them?

"But I'm getting off track again. As I said before, I'm not about to frag up our job. We are going to find these board numbers. That is the main priority. No questions there. But other than that, yeah, I'm still with the big guy. He's definitely got a head on his shoulders."

When Beckett asks about the list, Scratch puts his gun down for a moment then holds his arm out. He mentally pushes a button, and a pair of transparent plasteel tubes slide up and out, each filled with some kind of strange liquid. Seeming satisfied, he retracts the tubes then repeats the process with his other arm followed by a less than satisfied look.

"I'mma need some a few doses of Guts and some Rock Lizard Blood. Running a little low on both. You putting the list together, man?"
fistandantilus4.0
The elf gives Jack a little smirk.
That should be easy enough. Just go to the park Lost and found. He winks.
Let me see if there is anything I can dig up on the matrix then, as far as when this armory might be.
Tashio
Adds the mentioned items to the list and then publishes the list up against the nearest cabin wall space. Anything else you need throw it up I'll send it to Dunne once we're done.

Shopping List
Savior Medical Kit x2
Summoning Material x 24
Guts x 5
Rock Lizard Blood x 5
fistandantilus4.0
Running Data Search for Location Information on the Armory/Security Offices Locations in DisneyWorld
[ Spoiler ]

Morn scans through old matrix blogs and social blog platforms for information to correlate on the security office locations, with particular interest in the armory, cross referencing to blogs from any employees with previous law enforcement references he can find, or are registerd gun owners. Once he has what he's looking for, he adds the information to their mapsoft.
Ol' Scratch
While still tinkering with his boomstick, Scratch pauses for a moment to snap his fingers. "One of you guys got one of those TacNet thingamabobs? If not, we should definitely add that to the list. God knows I have the sensor package to take advantage of it."
fistandantilus4.0
Morn hesitates for a moment, considering the options. After a moment, he nods.
The respective team members comms chime as a pirated version of the NEOnet Combat and Tactics software pack downlaods to their comms.
I hope everyone has cyber eyes or a camera in their contacts.
Ol' Scratch
After arguing with Cadbury in his mind's eye, the C&T package lights up with the host of sensor feeds Scratch has available. Everything form ultrawideband radar to olfactory boosters to MAD scanners come online.
Tashio
Thanks.

Beckett runs a quick system test to ensure everything is working.
fistandantilus4.0
Looks like the little puck is packed with just about every sensor package we could need. That's good. Useful. Hopefully Jack at least has two sense we can key in. if not ... earbuds might be needed.

Olfactoary, audio, and visual are also added in from the Morn-comm.
SinN
Jack raises a hand.

Uh, yeah. No cyber here. All natural. Will this be a serious problem?
Tashio
If you have AR glasses or contacts with a camera and earbuds, those can be linked in otherwise I'm sure we can add to the shopping list, they can be picked up cheaply anywhere.
Lady Door
Somewhere in the middle of the seventh rehash of whether or not the tunnels are a viable entry point, Dunne's soothing monotone intrudes.

"My apologies for the interruption, gentlemen, but we are beginning our descent into Orlando. I've been informed that there has been some resistance from the locals towards anyone deemed as outside interference. With this in mind, you may experience some slight turbulence while we take evasive maneuvers. If you are not already doing so, please make use of the five-point harness system tucked into your seat backs. Thank you." The comm system clicks off just as the first anti-aircraft missile explodes beside the jet, the blast-wave rocking the plane almost onto its side.

Reaction Tests, ya'll
SinN
reaction-4
Hits-2
Tashio
Reaction
[ Spoiler ]
fistandantilus4.0
Reaction = 4 Hits
[ Spoiler ]
Lady Door
Posting for Doc:

Reaction Test
[ Spoiler ]
Lady Door
The plane banks sharply to the left, spilling food and drink all over the cabin. Jack, still unbuckled and sprawled, is thrown from his seat. He slams into the bulkhead, the sound of something cracking echoes through the cabin. Outside, several mini-explosions shake the plane... the sound of Dunne initiating the countermeasure flares. Emergency lighting engages, abruptly casting the inside of the jet in ominous shadows.

"Hold on, gentlemen. Activating Guardian systems."

Through the "Scene-a-Scope"™, the under-view of the plane shows a dense swamp region, its thick canopy making it almost impossible to pinpoint the origin of the attack. A low hum kicks on, its vibrations reverberating through the carpeted floor. A moment later, a brilliant arc of light streaks from somewhere underneath the plane to a spot in the westernmost region of the swamp. The only sign of its impact is the sudden bloom of smoke billowing through the trees.

@Jack:
[ Spoiler ]
SinN
As Jack is flying towards the bulkhead:

Ohshitohshitohshitohshit.....SHIT!

*BONK!*

Fucking....ow...

[ Spoiler ]

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2540352/
Tashio
Beckett quickly straps himself into the large troll sized chair.

If something happens give me a hard slap.

Beckett falls back into a trans as his conciousness pushes out into the astral and beyond the plane. Taking a quick look around as, the plane flies away from him, he makes an approximate estimate of the the direction the missile came from. He speeds off at maximum speed till he's about 100m from the ground. Slowing down he starts to scout the area looking for obvious activity.

[ Spoiler ]
fistandantilus4.0
Deciding that not flying without a plane, or worst, within it, was not the way to go, the elf straps himself into a chair, holding onto his gear. It's certainly not the worst ride ever. He just hopes he has enough time to change and prepare when they land.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012