Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Local Guides/Sourcebooks.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Aku
one interesting aspect of the philly area is Reading, Pa. current day it has one of the HIGHEST per capita crime rates in the country. It basically is a giant Motel 6 for drug runners between NYC and philly.
Fatum
I'm still writing about the Russo-Yakutian War somewhere in the middle of the 70ies; the work has grown to include the descriptions of both countries, and I have some ideas I think to be interesting; but it's all pretty sketchy right now.
Wolfgar
I wrote a short write-up of Sydney for the game I'm running, expanding on whats in Target: Awakened Lands and bringing it up to 2073. I'll post it here, but now that I'm 6 sessions into the game I think I'll rewrite it and repost it as a .pdf in a few days.

[ Spoiler ]
Sinboy666
My friend's and I awhile back did a really cool run set in Detroit. I mean, it's basically Robot Cop in OCP won. I know a lot of people like to crap on the big D, but I've always loved my town and the people in it. It's been my thinking, that even though Ares controls the city, its been having a lot of trouble with the populace. I mean the wage slaves are fine with it, but there are plenty of people who don't want to be told where they have to live... um... like our current situation with Mayor Bing.
Our campaign had a lot to deal with working with the Detroit underground and various other factions to work against Ares and "liberate" the city. (Of course corporate rivals, Cross got involved a lot too). We also had some interesting encounters in Greek-town, which, if you've never been to D-town is the BEST place to get food at 3 in the morning.

Two bits of mostly fluff:

1) We said that after the combining of the U.C.A.S., Detroit pretty much swallowed Windsor into it.

2) University of Michigan (GO WOLVERINES!) was a big place for hermetic studies. But it is also WHACKED with magic... it happens on a campus that has a library designed by a mad man and boosts at least 3 suicides a semester.
Daddy's Little Ninja
QUOTE (Aku @ Jul 5 2011, 12:45 PM) *
one interesting aspect of the philly area is Reading, Pa. current day it has one of the HIGHEST per capita crime rates in the country. It basically is a giant Motel 6 for drug runners between NYC and philly.

Except for the fact it is not between NYC and Philly. It is north and west of Philly along rte 422 or further west along the PA turnpike. Overall more than hour from Philly proper. I do not know about a high crime rate. It is not a nice town but the areas around here like that are the towns of Pheonixville, just a little about Valley Forge on 422 or 29 and Camden NJ that seems to be doing its very best to become a Barrens environment intime for the appearance of the great dragons later this year. start collapsing early and avoid the rush.
Aku
QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja @ Jul 11 2011, 12:02 PM) *
Except for the fact it is not between NYC and Philly. It is north and west of Philly along rte 422 or further west along the PA turnpike. Overall more than hour from Philly proper. I do not know about a high crime rate. It is not a nice town but the areas around here like that are the towns of Pheonixville, just a little about Valley Forge on 422 or 29 and Camden NJ that seems to be doing its very best to become a Barrens environment intime for the appearance of the great dragons later this year. start collapsing early and avoid the rush.

I used to live in the area, and yea, all of the violence pretty much was drug related, and that was the stance that the PD had on it IIRC
Snow_Fox
I think DLN is pointing out that Reading isn't between NY and Philadelphia and is too far out to really be a part of the Philly crime scene. We don't need to go out to the farmers for crime, there's enough in the bad neighborhoods of the city and Camden alone. I'd say Reading is more likely to be the criminal element for the farm lands there. Go a little further west and you're into the amish areas around Lancaster.
Aku
Except, you're not thinking in terms of drug runners or smugglers. I-95 is going to be MUCH more patrolled by the PD/lonestar/whoever, IMO
Daddy's Little Ninja
But just to get to Reading from NYC either you are going down I-95 to the PA Turnpike and get off at Reading's entrance, or get off at Valley Forge and go up 422. Insterad of just shooting down to the Philly exit off of the PA turnpike. It is the straight run to philyl from NY. Even using back roads like 84 north of NYC to 309 or the north east extension of the PA turnpike mean monitored main high ways.

Reading is more likely a gateway to the west- Harrisburg and maybe a loop to DC is you can loop over to 15 south of Gettysburg but it is not a route from NYC to Philadelphia.
HunterHerne
I'm working on a little thing for my out of the way neighbourhood. Looks like it may be the only mention of a rural area, too. (damn these small towns...)
Daddy's Little Ninja
Small town can hide big (secret) plants.
HunterHerne
Very true, and I have some plans for that...
Grinchy McScrooge
If I can ever find the time (new home owner), I'm gonna write up my Target: Toronto and post it here. It may be awhile though, as I tend to be rather meticulous. embarrassed.gif

In short, though, The Toronto Metroplex is a semi-corporate-controlled city, being halfway between Manhattan and Seattle on the big brother scale. It's a major media and financial hub. With Hollywood being in Cal-Free, Toronto, known as Hollywood North in the latter-half of the Twentieth Century, has become the main media producer of the UCAS. And that's all media, including trideo, software, and (especially) BTL's. The Toronto Stock Exchange (TSE) is second only to the East Coast Stock Exchange in importance in North America. Having been the huge melting pot of multiculturally diverse Canada, you can find at least a small community of just about any race, culture, religion, magical tradition, or criminal enterprise you can think of. Sports are also quite big in Toronto, with there being a team franchise of most major Sixth World sports being well-represented. The Scarberian Barrens (formally known as Scarborough), are frequent hosts of Urban Brawl events. Toronto Harbour, once a major port, was decimated by The Quake Of 2005. Everything South of Front Street, including The Toronto Islands, slid into Lake Ontario (all of it having been built on landfill). The waterfront has been rebuilt as a massive archology (by whom I haven't yet decided), but is no longer a port of any kind, as all of that business moved down the coast to The Hamilton Metroplex in the intervening years.

That's all I've got that's in any publishable state right now, but you can find the official details (few as they are) in Shadows Of North America and The Sixth World Almanac. I hope to have the more nitty-gritty details properly fleshed-out soon, complete with some area maps ( la Seattle 2072 or The Rotten Apple.
HunterHerne
Here is what I have so far on my area. It's quite a bit, and I hope it is useful to someone.
[ Spoiler ]
HunterHerne
Well, that is not what I wanted. How do I put spoilers in?

Edit: Figured it out.
Grinchy McScrooge
Thanks, HunterHerne! That's really comprehensive. Very nicely done. notworthy.gif

I've copied your write-up of Anapolis Valley and CanRay's write-up of Winnipeg for future use in my Shadowrun campaign. As a Canadian, I find them much more interesting than Seattle. wink.gif
HunterHerne
QUOTE (Grinchy McScrooge @ Jul 17 2011, 02:20 PM) *
Thanks, HunterHerne! That's really comprehensive. Very nicely done. notworthy.gif

I've copied your write-up of Anapolis Valley and CanRay's write-up of Winnipeg for future use in my Shadowrun campaign. As a Canadian, I find them much more interesting than Seattle. wink.gif

Happy to help.
suoq
It's my understanding that Kenshi had asked a number of dumpshockers for larger writeups of their local areas. I was thinking it would be nice if these had a consistent format so that they flowed together easier.

At this point, I've finished a rough draft for Omaha as I see it. It may be good, it may suck goat bones. Heck, it may completely contradict canon for all I know. It definately needs more work at a later point. If you're interested, it can be downloaded at ftp://ftp.virtualsurreality.com/Omaha%20Setting.zip

I'll listen to feedback, although I'm not promising to act on it. PM would probably be better rather than taking over this thread. Those people also doing larger write ups, I'd like to exchange information with. It may be we can play off each other or at least get some form of consistency going on.
Kirk
suoq, neat.

fwiw, I'm about to write up a local guide/sourcebook on a slightly larger scale: North Georgia. (the Chattahoochee to the Tennessee, Tallageda to Hellbender. However, I'm planning to write it in a wiki (pm wiki) using page authorization - I get to see it all, players only get what they "know".

Note that's not even work in progress, yet -- just vaporware.
Megu
Well, here's first major draft of the Indochinese hilltribe war setup. Drawing on both the Vietnam War and the Laotian Secret War as inspiration. Page count in the low 20s.

https://rapidshare.com/files/1962765721/IndochinaD1.pdf

I'd like your thoughts. Will add a more detailed description of the front lines later. Plan to have most of it in three fronts: East-central Laos, where the Vietnamese are trying to pinch off northern Laos' tribes, like the Hmong and Khmu, from supplying the Mon-Khmer and Hill Cham hilltribes in the Vietnamese Central Highlands, which is the second front, and the third front being Cambodia.

Ultimately, there's a lot of places I'd like to go with this. Endgame likely involves a second Battle of Hue, where the hilltribes use the cover of a magically-called typhoon to take the city and cut Vietnam in half. The underground in the south then uses the opportunity for political upheaval. The Colonel controlling the Vietnamese troops in Vientiane may make a gambit for some kind of power on her own, the historical analogues being Trinh Minh The and Kong Le.

I'll probably add Yunnan and the Burmese successor states at some point. But man, so not up for it right now.
scarius
I am writing a updated (read: 4A) version of target: awakened lands, I am about a quarter to half way in at the moment. My plan is to use my actual knowlage of australia (where I live) and make it a bit better off then what it was. I will post up what I have in a few weeks time.

If anyone has some information that they have all ready done on Australia and doesn't mind me "stealing" or atleast reading it, can you please PM me.
Socinus
What would be awesome is if we could put together a worldmap where you could mouse over the area you want to know about and have the names of the sourcebooks that have info about that place.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012