Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Local Guides/Sourcebooks.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Synner667
Someone mentioned setting up a thread for local guides/threads, so here it is...

The official SR sourcebooks are lacking in the areas that they cover [some surprisingly so], or provide only sketchy info...
...But many of you have filled in those gaps, making the world a richer, more interesting, more exciting place to explore and enjoy SR in.

So, here's a place to share your information, or collaborate with others to bring your local guides to the masses, or provide links to where your info already exists.

You know the kind of stuff...
...Streetgossip, locals companies, people worth mentioning, gangs, locations, town guides, etc.

If there's enough info, maybe it's worth me putting together some PDFs of what's posted here and I'll even set some space aside for hosting.

Enjoy...
toturi
Might be interesting.

I'll see if I can squeeze some time to cover South East Asia.
Whipstitch
I've often been tempted to write up a whole mess of stuff about the MSP 'plex, but since I live where people are even more familiar with the area than I am or have hardly any had any game experience at all and thus get up to speed quicker if I stick with the iconic SR places like Seattle. Lately I've been sticking with Hong Kong where I can butcher things without so much fuss. ; )
nemafow
I think the only thing you need to know about my area is, dropbears.
Megu
OK, I put Minneapolis-St. Paul up on rapidshare.

http://rapidshare.com/files/389265739/MSPMetroplexD2.pdf
Synner667
QUOTE (Megu @ May 19 2010, 08:04 PM) *

Lookin' good...
Aristotle
Neat! I had a website I was going to build called "Target: Hometown" to host this exact sort of writeup. I wasn't sure it would generate any interest. Guess I was wrong. I'll have to see if I can find my writeup of Hanover, PA.
kigmatzomat
I got a jones about that a few years ago, so here's my completely unofficial and not really canon version of Louisville setting. That's in thread form but I've got it on my Google site in MS Word, which has some maps and images.
BookWyrm
Reminds me of a project I tried to start back before the novel Steel Rain came out. I wanted to get a few fellow SR players together, try to co-ordinate a sourcebook about Long Island in 2050. I initially imagined it a kind of almost-ghost town, mostly with warehouses and barely-operational businesses (most of them subsidiaries of subsidiaries of--ad infinitum), making it a good breeding ground for gang activity, potential shadowrunners and plenty of R&D espionage.
Then Steel Rain came out, and made everything beyond the Queens/Nassau border into the East Coast version of the Tokyo suburbs.
The few players I got interested into the project, a lot of other things cropped up and the timing just killed it. It never made it to paper.
hermit
Hm. I have some files containing most what I found on Philadelphia and New York and the surrounding places - novels, though, and likely as not dated with the Rotten Apple 2 writeup (though I'll check and may merge them if they mesh okay).

And am working on a Venice writeup that offers more than 1,5 pages in Shadows of Europe. Nothing local though, as that has both been extensively covered in publications AND totally fucked up.
Daddy's Little Ninja
I live outside Philly and grew up outside NYC and went to school in Brooklyn. If you want send the file to me to look through. Philly actually could be really cool. Include Camden NJ and you've got barrens. Go north of the city only a few miles and it gets very green very quick and for spirits there are all sorts of historical sites.
alltheraz
QUOTE (Megu @ May 19 2010, 02:04 PM) *

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Got to say, though, very nice job on this Megu. The gangs are...interesting, but colorful. It seems very well researched overall.

Maybe the only thing I would have added was something about Mankato. Its a bit south of the cities, but I can't imagine, given its history as the location of the largest public mass execution in U.S. history (of Sioux prisoners, actually) that its astral effects wouldn't be notable (and likely problematic).
Whipstitch
Yeah, my only potential gripe would be that it's a pinch Hmong centric, but since the is a somewhat unique quality of the area I suppose I could see why emphasizing it would be a good way of injecting some flavor even if hispanics and blacks are still the faster growing minorities. I like that someone remembers Dapper Danny.
Megu
QUOTE (alltheraz @ May 20 2010, 03:17 PM) *
Long time lurker, first time poster.

Got to say, though, very nice job on this Megu. The gangs are...interesting, but colorful. It seems very well researched overall.

Maybe the only thing I would have added was something about Mankato. Its a bit south of the cities, but I can't imagine, given its history as the location of the largest public mass execution in U.S. history (of Sioux prisoners, actually) that its astral effects wouldn't be notable (and likely problematic).

Honestly, I'm such a city kid that I feared my players knew much more about Mankato than I would. I was more worried about the astral effects of the big nasty concrete plant, actually.

Anyways, glad you mostly liked it. ^-^
Megu
QUOTE (Whipstitch @ May 20 2010, 03:37 PM) *
Yeah, my only potential gripe would be that it's a pinch Hmong centric, but since the is a somewhat unique quality of the area I suppose I could see why emphasizing it would be a good way of injecting some flavor even if hispanics and blacks are still the faster growing minorities. I like that someone remembers Dapper Danny.

Part of it was to give it a unique flavor, for sure, but it's also the fact that I'm majoring in Linguistics with a focus on Hmong language, so it's kind of what I'm interested in and know about. I would have had a really hard time adding it in there if I'd had to do all of it as outside research on the culture. So at the end of the day, maybe it is too much and is just me showing off; I don't know. I tried to justify it in-universe with the mention of another wave of migration from South China after the People's Republic breaks up, to reinforce the demographics, but that may step on toes with canon's Asia. And I've been figuring a lot of the Latino population would have joined or would be immigrating to the NAN rather than the UCAS, so that explains why that's a little toned down, aside from the West Side segment.

And yeah, I kind of wanted to dabble in the flavor of Prohibition St. Paul a bit, hence the Mafia presence and the Wabasha Caves, and things like that.
Whipstitch
I probably only noticed because I'm part hispanic and the time I lived in Minneapolis ended up with me surrounded by black people. biggrin.gif

Like I said, good work in any case.
ClemulusRex
We've been covered as a whole extensively before, but let me take the opportunity to rant on how it seems like Cal Free can't catch a break! What, we kick the Japanese out of SF, but then the Golden Gate gets nuked, the Central Valley ends up knee-deep in water, and the Pueblos and Azzies invade the south? Sure there's a lot of "NorCal" (ugh) pride/inferiority complex up in my direction (Sacramento) and even I get weary of the "Sunny California" stereotype that we all live by the beach and surf to work, but when it comes down to it, it's sort of that "no one beats up on my brother except me" thing. As a friend of mine put it, you don't just "take" L.A., for Ghost's sake! I'm no expert, and to be fair I've spent maybe all of 100 hours in L.A. in my life, but we imagined that you'd most likely end up fighting a protracted, albeit disorganized, insurgency/guerrilla war with many of the street gangs down there. Not to mention all of the personal security/mercenary forces that the Beverly Hills types could afford...

Now that I've gotten that out of my system, I can say that here in Sacramento much of the running would probably be for or against the government, it being the capital and all. There's enough office parks tucked away in outlying areas for the more traditional stuff, as well. The U.C. Davis Med Center is pretty cutting-edge by my understanding, providing some interesting Biotech targets.

Plenty of street gangs in the south and other outlying areas. Recent Russian and other Eastern European immigration has brought associated syndicate-type stuff in the north-eastern outlying areas. The Chinese community has deep roots here (Transcontinental Railroad and all) and there have been a lot of Hmong and other Asian immigrants over the last couple of decades, so the Triads and other Asian syndicates could be a significant factor by 2070. Lots of meth trade/production around here, too. Hell, you might even say that, having worked at a retail store that bought and sold "used" CDs, DVDs, and video games, that I was in some small way involved in what you might call the "grey" market around here!

There's also a racist skinhead population that was huge in the late '80s/early '90s that's never completely gone away. That might translate into a significant Humanis presence in the Sixth world. There's definitely a good deal of religious/social conservatism in certain pockets that could translate into similar PoliClub activity. Goodness knows I get hassled enough when I go out looking even halfway like a London Batcave reject, but maybe that's just plain old, ignorant machismo everywhere. Likewise, there's enough punk/vegan/hippie types to carry the banner for the other side.

Some folks around here like to spout how Sacramento is becoming a "world-class city" (whatever that means). It's definitely starting to sprawl, and I could even see Downtown becoming more of a cultural hub in the decades to come. I don't know if we'll ever crawl out from under the shadow of the "distant suburb of San Francisco" joke, though. If my understanding is correct, the area is one of the top places in the country to test-market products due to our highly diverse demographics (and apparently impressionable population...), so that could be an angle on some runs. We also have the furthest-inland harbor capable of docking sea-faring ships and we're a big railway and travel hub, so there's trade and smuggling opportunities. On the other side of things, having the Sierra Nevada mountains and three different national forests practically in our backyard leaves lots of opportunities for isolated research stations and paracritter encounters. I guess that's always been one of Sac's biggest assets and greatest hindrances--we're less than two hours away from all kinds of stuff but we don't actually have much here (to paraphrase another joke about the area.)

Overall, I'd think that the genuinely independent 'Runner population here would be pretty low, and maybe fairly specialized into different niches. Some towards government, some towards corporate, some towards wilderness. I could see a lot of runs just being straight-up heists for various criminal elements. Of course, the best would be prepared for anything.

Sorry if that kind of rambled, but hopefully it serves as a rough overview. If I can bring myself to organize and expand upon this, I will.
Mantis
Thanks Megu. I've grabbed it and will look it over. I'm always looking for stuff on the non standard areas in Shadowrun. Currently have my group roaming about Boston and environs. They occasionally become worried I'll send them to Chicago next. I don't know why.
Snow_Fox
MSP was actually covered in Kage, which I believe was considered cannonical. now of course finding a copy of that....
emouse
I did a campaign in Pittsburgh a while back, and considered doing some background stuff on the web.

The Great Ghost Dance raised the water level of the three rivers enough that most of downtown is swamped or worse when it rains. As a result, while the downtown area is still used, there's almost no vehicular traffic there. Corporations have ended up building a second city complex on top of the existing one, and the corp zone is heavily guarded. The resulting undercity and surrounding area has essentially been left to itself as a result, with a patchwork of gangs controlling the various areas. The downtown area is controlled by a single gang which is comparable to a mafia or yakuza organization. As you move outward from there the gangs step down in organization and strength. It corresponded to the local beltway, and gangs generally got referred to by the beltway color in their area. So Purple for downtown, Red on the fringes. Red gangs were mostly disorganized go-gangs.

It never really came up, but the University Zone was essentially a walled off area that covered most of Oakland to Squirrel Hill, and was the result of the universities there combining to form the Carnegie University of Pittsburgh. Heavily regulated again in order to protect students, personnel and research from the outside world.
Red_Cap
Alrighty then. I've finally put the finishing touches on my Kirkuk, Iraq file. It comes out as an 8-page word document, and can be found here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/407258481/Runn...s_--_Kirkuk.doc
http://rapidshare.com/files/407259474/Runn..._--_Kirkuk1.doc
http://rapidshare.com/files/407259883/Runn..._--_Kirkuk2.doc

It's on an anonymous account, so I posted it three times under slightly different names so it be downloaded 30 times instead of 10. If the links come up broken, someone shoot me a PM and I'll repost them.

It's written in-character from the PoV of my first-ever SR character who goes by Red Cap (thus the screen name) with some help from a Middle Eastern character who goes by Sand Snake that I wrote up for a game but not never got to play with. To enrich it further, I'd like for people to post (either here or shoot me a PM, though public posts make more sense so that you folks can play off each other) their own shadowtalk for the document. I'll include the best, most relevant stuff in an updated version of the document and then repost it for download. It'll help make this less of a me-thing and more of a community project.

Cheers, and happy reading! Hope you like it.
Red_Cap
Bump, because I know someone wants to read it.
hermit
Very nice. I especially like the eternal flame - does this really exist? - and it's implications not only in muslim but also Parsi mythology.

I would like some more sites - I'll admit I'm a sucker for the old books with 'places to visit' - and maybe a bit about life in Kirkuk in general - how's water and electricity, what do you usually eat there, where do people mainly work, how workable is the local matrix, that kinda stuff. Also, there are interesting synergies with the proposed Tehran setting Ancient posted a while back. I might get to write on them, even, if you don't mind me to I'll spend a surpremely boring sunday and have a few days off time ahead anyway.

Keep up the work, and please, flesh out the place. I'll use it soon in a run, and will bring my players' and my shadowtalk then.
CanRay
Shadows of Winnipeg post.
Belvidere
I'll start working on the The Big D. Haha. Im just having crazy thoughts as to how bad Detroit's gotten in 2072
Megu
Working backwards: Re: Belvidere: I actually figured that Detroit might be better now, being the home of a AAA. Considering it's already pretty much Shadowrun Chicago without the bugs (I was looking at going there for grad school for a while, and it really is as bad off as you've heard), it's hard to see how we could do anything in that direction that wouldn't be kind of redundant. I always envisioned SR Detroit as the result of renewal projects like this one: http://money.cnn.com/2009/12/29/news/econo...etroit.fortune/

Re: Red_Cap: Very nice! I'm looking it over right now! I love the voice you've got for Sand Snake, and the pro-Awakened bent for Kurdistan is intriguing. I'm a little curious about a couple things, though. The Matrix doesn't seem to come up here much. What's the situation like with regards to technomancers and AIs? Is the grid spotty or is the wireless reliable? Similarly, the Awakened scene doesn't seem to be discussed much outside of the fact that the Kurds are probably most of it.

Editing:
>3069 post-Crash merger with Global Oil
>3069

wat

Additionally, proposing following runner commentary. Alhazred and Juba are Arab expatriate NPC runners in my Twin Cities game, Swift Hinola's actually a former player character of a friend from the same game, and the rest I'm coming up with on the fly.

>Barely months later, with the Alliance shattered and the Muslim armies streaming back to the Middle East, the Kurdish forces popped up in their homeland where they declared the creation of the Kurdish Autonomous Zone.

The question isn't who called back the peshmerga; PKK head Ahmed Massoud's ties to Aden are an open secret. It's more debatable why he did it. I'm inclined to believe he was hedging his bets, setting up a friendly nation in a mostly hostile Middle East for when the Jihad was over.
- Alhazred

>But then the Kirkuk fields double -- then tripled -- production, and S-K was suddenly back in the game.

Evo's been working on making bacterial production of oil competitive for a long time, and waiting for the Middle East's wells of cheap oil to dry. They'd dearly love some hard data on how exactly Lofwyr pulled this off.
- Veiled Vandal

>The NOC runs the pumping stations north of Kirkuk, the Kirkuk-Ceyhan Pipeline that runs west to East Anatolia, and the newer Black Sea Pipeline that runs north through Kurdistan to T'blisi, in Transcausia. The only pipeline currently operational is the north-bound one, so while the NOC is officially an Iraqi company, the Kurds have de facto control over its profit margin and receive plenty of bribes and kick-backs as a result. The NOC's CEO is Umar ibn Ehmed, a local Kurd. He's got lots of family in Arbil and Dahuk, though, so its not hard to figure out where his true loyalties lie.

The Syrians are clamoring to get that westward pipeline built. Expect fireworks.
- Juba

>Their presence in Kirkuk is low-key, with a few small natural gas spigots that all run into their compound in the Adallah District. Strangely, none of this appears to be exported, though its possible that AF is working on new refinement techniques. They've been trying to get permission to do some delving around the Baba Gurgur, but Mayor al Jibouri has so far blocked those efforts.

This isn't all that strange. For a small AA with a focus on technological development rather than natural resources, it might be more profitable to develop the techniques and sell them rather than try to lead a mass resource extraction effort themselves. Their knowhow might be what got the Kirkuk oilfields producing again.
- Lawrence

>The leader of the Foundation's efforts in the area is Hector Venizelos, a Greek. No one knows much about him, but there have been four assassination attempts against him in the past year alone. He's made it through without injury every time, but someone wants him gone.

Without injury, but from cam footage it looks like not without being shot. Rumor has it his luck is ...inhuman.
- Alhazred

>On the outskirts of the city near the NOC complex, the Baba Gurgur is an eternal flame that has been burning all on its own, without metahuman help, for over 4,000 years. Formed by natural gas leaking up through the surrounding sand and bedrock from oil fields below the city, the Baba Gurgur has been a place of pilgrimage for the Kurds since they settled the area and many Kurds (including Yezidis) come here to pray. It is especially popular with expectant mothers who come here to plead for healthy babies. It's also a permanent astral shallow.

There's a remarkable concentration of fire spirits in the immediate vicinity these days. They're pretty much innocuous unless you attack them or try to bind them, so no one (except for the vehemently anti-Awakened) cares much. But with the astral shallow, if you're a mundane, it's quite a sight to see.
- Alhazred

>For those who haven't grown up in the Middle East, telling the difference between an Iraqi, Iranian, or Kurd is nearly impossible. For natives, it's a matter quite literally of life and death. Speaking Arabic to an Iranian (whose native tongue is Farsi) or Kurdish to a Turkoman (who speaks Turkish or Arabic) will most likely end up with the affronted party trying to slit your throat.

It's really not that bad if you're obviously foreign. They'll just assume you're a stupid infidel who doesn't know any better. Which isn't always such a bad thing, if you can play it up a little bit, but I wouldn't recommend it if you don't have basic social skills. If you look like you could be Middle Eastern, though, the above is much more true. And if you look Jewish, well, I hope you're bringing some serious dakka, or you could be in real trouble real quick, regardless of how polite and fluent you are. Still, a little nanopaste will clear up both of those latter ailments.
- Hyasynth

Hyasynth isn't kidding about the social skills, though. I'm ethnically Somali and look it, but since I grew up in the UCAS, I've gotten myself into seriuos trouble here a few times by misunderstanding a social situation. If I wasn't a good shot, I'd have been dead a long time ago.
- Swift Hinola

So modest. By "good shot" Miss Hinola means "fastest sixgun in the Middle East".
- Juba

Flatterer.
- Swift Hinola
Demonseed Elite
QUOTE (Red_Cap @ Jul 16 2010, 05:11 AM) *
Alrighty then. I've finally put the finishing touches on my Kirkuk, Iraq file. It comes out as an 8-page word document, and can be found here:

Red_Cap, you should toss this up on box.net. Much friendlier for downloading stuff like this than rapidshare is.
Belvidere
As for Detroit. The way I've been thinking about it is sort of a renewal project... but one that just covers up the dirty grit that is The D. Instead of trying to clean out the issues like drugs, murder, ect, they just kind of blocked it all off beneath them. Imagine Taris from Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic on a smaller scale obviously. So highwats and roads for SINners are elevated along with even entire communities, No proper building has entrances on the ground. And whatever is left on the ground is all gangland and turf wars. There are probably areas that are a mix of elevated and ground level and whatnot. Inspiration from my current GM who's running his game in Detroit, very similar, almost identically to this, and probably Final Fantasy 7 and Taris from KotOR as I said before.
Megu
QUOTE (Belvidere @ Jul 17 2010, 11:53 PM) *
As for Detroit. The way I've been thinking about it is sort of a renewal project... but one that just covers up the dirty grit that is The D. Instead of trying to clean out the issues like drugs, murder, ect, they just kind of blocked it all off beneath them. Imagine Taris from Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic on a smaller scale obviously. So highwats and roads for SINners are elevated along with even entire communities, No proper building has entrances on the ground. And whatever is left on the ground is all gangland and turf wars. There are probably areas that are a mix of elevated and ground level and whatnot. Inspiration from my current GM who's running his game in Detroit, very similar, almost identically to this, and probably Final Fantasy 7 and Taris from KotOR as I said before.

I could see that being pretty cool.

Tell me Devil's Night is still an active tradition.
Belvidere
QUOTE (Megu @ Jul 18 2010, 02:18 AM) *
I could see that being pretty cool.

Tell me Devil's Night is still an active tradition.

Oh, it would have to be. Ahaha. Gangers come up from below and terrorize the upper Detroit dwellers? That sounds liek a great night!
JollySkull
Wait can I use this as a place to rewrite the pull crap the did to my home where I lived for all my life, Los Angeles.

I hate how they effed up my town with it all being flooded. Really the average height for the majority of sunken part of LA is 100ft above sea level. So it seems to me they are all like we do not want to talk about LA the most diverse metroplex today, but simplify it. It does not make sense.

I mean they make it seem like LA is all about the entrainment industry when we are not like that at all. We have great diversity in our industries. We have a large amount of Aerospace companies, Transportation, Computer engineering, medical, etc. There was plenty of stuff to have corporate espionage and gangs are there but are in their own zones and often are not as troublesome as people think.

BUT NO!! Everyone has this strange idea that LA will have an earthquake and it will sink. Or that we are all about the entrainment industry and all super linked in to it together. We are supposedly superficial Los Angeles is not like this at all.

GRRR, now that is out of the way I am okay with there being suddenly huge magical caverns under LA it can be kind of cool if it turns out is a giant Caern or a group of great dragons sleeping cocoon. The I enjoy having a sort of megacorp that is trying to control your minds through media and doing what the aAzies are doing to make them look good despite the dark and ugly secrets that lie beneath.

So thanks for all that read this I know i probably have a huge amount of grammatical errors so forgive those.

But I like some stuff but alot of it i would rework and change.

Thanks
The Jolly skull
Red_Cap
Megu, your stuff's in. Good catch on the "post-Crash" comment; I must have been half-asleep when I wrote that part, so its been fixed. If anyone else has some commentary they'd like to throw in, by all means, please do.

By popular demand, I'll developing three more sections -- one on the "special populations," ie Awakened and Emergent folks and associated things -- another on all of the basic services (Matrix, water & power, etc), and the last on runner-centric hotspots like the inevitable bars, dives, etc that our alter egos so frequently haunt. Any suggestions?
Red_Cap
QUOTE (JollySkull @ Jul 18 2010, 01:14 AM) *
-- Snip --

Jolly, rather than try rewriting CGL's vision of LA, work within it. I refuse to believe that every runner in SoCal has lost their common sense and broadcasts their runs live on the trid for the whole world to watch. Give us the low-down on the areas that Corporate Enclaves neglects, the places were the cyberpunk part of the universe shines through ("dims the light" might be a better term) the glitz and glamor of Hollywood. Tell us about El Infierno, some haunted back-sections of the Deep Lacuna, or the gang-wars that are threatening to spill out onto Rodeo Drive. I've been writing this message for maybe 90 seconds, and there's three good ideas that would help flesh out LA from ludicrously open to downright dangerous.
Voran
I still use the older SR version Paradise Lost for Hawaii. Still great read. Though the fashion is so definitely 90s smile.gif
Radical-B
Found this while searching for a local group, it's really detailed all the down to historical landmarks and mafia families.

http://tampa-bay-shadows.googlegroups.com/...qocOGWUY90Yyf_g
Megu
QUOTE (Radical-B @ Jul 20 2010, 05:31 PM) *
Found this while searching for a local group, it's really detailed all the down to historical landmarks and mafia families.

http://tampa-bay-shadows.googlegroups.com/...qocOGWUY90Yyf_g

Does look interesting, but is there more to this or just the intro?
Radical-B
QUOTE (Megu @ Jul 21 2010, 01:06 AM) *
Does look interesting, but is there more to this or just the intro?

That's all I could find.
Megu
Blade' homebrew Zouerate, Mauritania. In French, unfortunately, but with a little Google Translate and guesswork it's quite readable.
hermit
Actually I am working on a translation, whcih I will use to experiment a bit with pdf creators.
suoq
I'm aware of three very different sets of notes on Omaha as a setting.

My setting has Offutt AFB duties expanded because of CAS and NAN as well as a history of awakened research. (Lots of intelligence gathering, research, and deep bunkers filled with smart people.) There are some interesting retired military residing in Omaha, keeping to themselves. Western Nebraska has a lot of border smuggling as well as a large resistance group of people driven out of the Nan who want to return to their homes (they have the same view of Denver and Colorado that people who view themselves as Palestinians view Jerusalem and Israel). The border, as a result, is pretty messy, keeping Offutt busy. Lincoln is pretty much a refugee dump, filled with the people who quit fighting after the NAN won and the people who send others off to fight while hiding in a safe place. Boys Town has broken away from the Church and become a home for Metahumans not accepted by their families. Boys Town looks more like a concentration camp than anything else, partially as a result of years of people wanting to keep them in and partially as a result of years of defending themselves against the outside world. A metahuman growing up in Boys Town will have a very different view of the world. The rural areas still rural, although any abandoned Atlas sites are well defended (by whom and for what reason are questions best not asked).

LurkerOutThere has a completely different, but still very good setting. I'm not sure what he's made public.

David 'Lightfinger' West has an Omaha setting at http://members.cox.net/~lightfinger/sr/place.htm
Synner667
Good to see this resurrected.
HugeC
I wrote this up for my players in a game that went 2 sessions before we starting doing something else. There's not terrible much here, but perhaps it will be of use to someone. I didn't have access to any official cannon except an SR timeline when I wrote it, so if I have crossed something official folks have written, that's why.

Detroit in the 2070's
[ Spoiler ]
Megu
I haven't gone over the whole thing, but thank you Huge, I have been wanting to run a Detroit game for a while now.
Radical-B
I'm kind of lucky I stumbled upon this from google groups. Before the new 6th World Almanac I didn't even think Tampa would even be big enough to be recognized. Though neither really have as much freedom for missions as Seattle fluff, I'm still happy that I'm able to use my own county maps for runs.

http://www.mediafire.com/?y4tw7211d04pz1d
Wordman
QUOTE (Synner667 @ May 19 2010, 06:59 AM) *
The official SR sourcebooks are lacking in the areas that they cover [some surprisingly so], or provide only sketchy info...
...But many of you have filled in those gaps, making the world a richer, more interesting, more exciting place to explore and enjoy SR in.

Once upon a time, this was the point of of many of the location write ups in the Neoanarchists Guide to Everything Else. The locations chapter of the Collected NAGEE contains a number of "local guides", including my guide to my own home town, Pueblo, Colorado.
Wakshaani
QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja @ May 20 2010, 06:11 PM) *
I live outside Philly and grew up outside NYC and went to school in Brooklyn. If you want send the file to me to look through. Philly actually could be really cool. Include Camden NJ and you've got barrens. Go north of the city only a few miles and it gets very green very quick and for spirits there are all sorts of historical sites.

I've been trying to tie my horrible notes into an actual background guide for Philadelphia, the city that I choose to use as a basis for my game (When there is one, sigh) ... be thrilled to have someone that actually knows the place look it over.

Aside from that, native Tennessean here, so, I can hammer out all *kinds* of stuff for the CAS. Texas has Aztlan, Atlanta has the federal government, but TN is where all the good stuff happens. smile.gif
Megu
QUOTE (Wordman @ Jun 22 2011, 11:30 AM) *
Once upon a time, this was the point of of many of the location write ups in the Neoanarchists Guide to Everything Else. The locations chapter of the Collected NAGEE contains a number of "local guides", including my guide to my own home town, Pueblo, Colorado.

I was going to say, the Pueblo and North Bay ones both jump out at me as really good. And Chambana's pretty cool but I kind of wonder what kind of effect the implosion of Chicago would have on it? It seems like post 1e that could be something to capitalize on.
CanRay
I've been thinking about doing one for my hometown for quite some time, but then I realize that I want to think about that place as little as possible.

Which, in another way, makes it the perfect place to have Shadowrun, doesn't it?
Daddy's Little Ninja
QUOTE (Aristotle @ May 19 2010, 09:45 PM) *
Neat! I had a website I was going to build called "Target: Hometown" to host this exact sort of writeup. I wasn't sure it would generate any interest. Guess I was wrong. I'll have to see if I can find my writeup of Hanover, PA.

Hanover might draw lots of shamans and spooky types drawn to near by Gettysburg. Snow fox and I have been talking about writing up Philly for a while now.
wilver
Shadows of Las Vegas

I wrote up the following as some background material for my players on Vegas in the Sixth World. Droplets of information about Vegas are scattered throughout some books, but I wanted to have a single document that had all of the key information up front. Additions/criticisms/comments appreciated.

Caveat: I am not a local, but am moderately familar with the area beyond the strip.

Text below...
[ Spoiler ]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012