Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Online SR4?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > GM/Players Registry
renfield007
Is anyone out there running an Online game of SR4?
Wandering One
A number of us. Are you looking for a game or recommendations on how to run one that way?
vanillared
I am yet another in the throng of LFG's. Maybe we can band together to increase our might.
DaisRainer
Im also looking for a group to play in. If you guys happen to find some one to run id be interested in joining up if I'm available on what ever day you guys end up playing on.
renfield007
I am looking to join an existing game or one that is just getting started. I haven't played since before SR4 came out and I'd like to learn to play the new version before I even think of trying to run a game.
Triggvi
QUOTE (renfield007 @ May 27 2010, 11:02 AM) *
I am looking to join an existing game or one that is just getting started. I haven't played since before SR4 came out and I'd like to learn to play the new version before I even think of trying to run a game.

I am always looking to game. Online is easy. Using voice options on skype or aim or yahoo and using maptools for die rolling and maps. It looks like you guys have enough players why don't you form a group. I would be interested. We could do trade off game-mastering
Shin

Depending on when you all chose to meet, I would be interested in playing as well. There is, however, no way I could run SR4. Too many rules I don't know.
Triggvi
QUOTE (Shin @ May 27 2010, 04:31 PM) *
Depending on when you all chose to meet, I would be interested in playing as well. There is, however, no way I could run SR4. Too many rules I don't know.

It is not as hard as it looks. Just know the rules that you need. The story is far more important that the rules. Game mastering is less about knowing every rule than making the game flow and engaging the players. The basics are easy.
LurkerOutThere
I periodically run Online Shadowrun Mission Mods, I've toyed with the idea of running a regular online game but I'd have to re-use plots from my home game a lot.
renfield007
I'm totally down for playing something, but not running. I want to re-learn the rules first before I jump into things.
I'm free most weekday evenings though I'd kind of like to keep Friday and Saturdays open in case I should miraculously develop a social life... hey, it could happen!
Unfortunately due to Sleep Apnea I usually need to be hitting the sack by 10pm CST
As for the type of game, I'm flexible as I've generated characters from professional to downright odd...cool.gif
Triggvi
I am cool with weekdays. Any day but tuesday and friday. We should get on chat and talk about this if we are all interested.
DaisRainer
ahh any chance that every one would be interested in Wednesdays?
LFG
Wednesdays would work for me and I'd be happy to take turns running a game. Not having much luck getting interest locally and online could be an interesting option.
The Lorax
What medium would you be playing under?
renfield007
Thats at least 4 interested and Wednesdays would be fine for me again depending on how late we run.
As fro medium or format...dunno.

I've used fantasy Grounds as a player before and it was damn cool, but it costs money and I'd prefer the free option myself unless someone else already has it and has a pile of licenses or has money to burn...cool.gif
Someone else mentioned using a chat tool and skype as well.
I'm sure a group of techno-geeks that most SR players are can figure something out.

Fantasy Ground FYI:
http://www.fantasygrounds.com/home/
Triggvi
QUOTE (renfield007 @ May 28 2010, 11:06 AM) *
Thats at least 4 interested and Wednesdays would be fine for me again depending on how late we run.
As fro medium or format...dunno.

I've used fantasy Grounds as a player before and it was damn cool, but it costs money and I'd prefer the free option myself unless someone else already has it and has a pile of licenses or has money to burn...cool.gif
Someone else mentioned using a chat tool and skype as well.
I'm sure a group of techno-geeks that most SR players are can figure something out.

Fantasy Ground FYI:
http://www.fantasygrounds.com/home/

map tools is really good. there are many voice programs out there skype, ventrillo. There is no reason to spend money.
LFG
QUOTE (Triggvi @ May 28 2010, 06:43 AM) *
map tools is really good. there are many voice programs out there skype, ventrillo. There is no reason to spend money.

What sort of free tools are you familiar with? I've seen obsidian portal - but never ran anything online. Plenty of computer stuff here so would just need to get familiar with something specifically.
DaisRainer
Maptools is very easy to use for chat and anything dealing with maps, combat movement, or visual aids. I have some good experience with it lately as i run a D&D campaign for a few friends with it.
LFG
So want to set up a time to discuss options and/or setting?
Triggvi
QUOTE (LFG @ May 29 2010, 01:18 AM) *
So want to set up a time to discuss options and/or setting?

here is my e-mail Mrfixitofmassage@gmail.com.
Skype as mrfix-itofmassge

If you want aim or msn let me know. I am not normally on them.
renfield007
May not want to post those here. We should probably take this to Messages or to another forum of some nature. Maybe a Yahoo Groups thing or something similar?
I'll have to go download trillian again then and see if I can remember by AIM name and login...8P
LFG
Feel free to send me a PM here. I can get emails that way or send people mine.
DaisRainer
Ahh you guys can reach me at daisrainer@gmail.com since I still cant do anything with my profile here, seeing I'm still new and am not out of the probationary member status.
Triggvi
QUOTE (DaisRainer @ May 30 2010, 08:47 AM) *
Ahh you guys can reach me at daisrainer@gmail.com since I still cant do anything with my profile here, seeing I'm still new and am not out of the probationary member status.

one more post and you become and full member.
DaisRainer
Heh good point now its not a big deal but that email address is the one i use just for gaming and misc stuff so i don't mind giving it out.
renfield007
Okay so who is actually going to run this thing? Whoever it is should be the one gathering the contact info and such.
I am not very good at being organizational...8P
Shin
Wednesdays are terrible for me unfortunately frown.gif. But maybe you guys will change your mind on times cool.gif.

As for media, Fantasy Grounds is pretty nice adding a number of speed saving automations, streamlined interface for IC and OOC chat, portraits, maps, combat tracker, etc. and they have a pretty good SR4 ruleset made by Fenloh which I have used before. Alternatively, OpenRPG is basically HTML based display embedded in a python app. It's free and quite capable with features and extendible, also supports maps w/icons, but I'm not sure what specific support already exists for SR4. MapTools is good, I hear, but from what I've heard while it's pretty good for maps its terrible for text. Battlegrounds is another map type software which is supposed to be good for maps, certainly looks pretty, but I haven't used it either, and I think it has a licensing fee now. Vassal is free and can be used for maps as well, and has some pretty mediocre text facilities. Maptools was already mentioned. There are others as well.. Monkeymumble by the FractalMapper folks, older ones like Kludge and what not. Depends on what features you want to take advantage of. Skype is great for voice, but I think its conferences are limited to 5 without paying money. Ventrillo or Teamspeak are decent as well and free (last I checked), but have issues with people talking over each other. All in all it depends on how one wants to run the game online--Voice with supplemental map, Text or IC with voice for OOC and no map, or some other combination.
Triggvi

I am pretty flexible. My only real constrains are tuesday and sunday night

I have used maptools and it works well for text, maps and die rolling. Skype is free even for 6 people, so no problem there.
Emod
It looked like you guys had a group set along with a day, but I was looking for a group as well that played Friday or Saturday nights. Fantasy Grounds has been my app of choice for the last several years along with Ventrilo. The only reason for Vent over Skype was that I don't think Skype had a push to talk. With any background noise it made Skype rough to play with. The other huge advantage of Vent was the ability of each person to adjust individual volumes to their liking.

If you guys are amenable to Fri/Sat night let me know.
DaisRainer
Ahh i work evenings and the only nights i have off are Sunday and Wednesday. If it is to much of a problem to run on one of those nights ill just wait till another game pops up.
LFG
QUOTE (renfield007 @ May 30 2010, 05:39 AM) *
Okay so who is actually going to run this thing? Whoever it is should be the one gathering the contact info and such.
I am not very good at being organizational...8P

I'm happy to share GM duties, but would prefer to have another experienced person to work with at least initially. Weekdays other than Friday work for me. Send me a private message with your email. Slowly getting in contact with people.
renfield007
Friday night would work okay for me though I generally prefer weekend evenings off. But it will let me play later as long as I don't have to work on saturday.
And as I am currently unemployed I don't work saturdays.
I can use Ventrilo but I dunno if my Mic is currently working. Likely I'll have to test it before we actually get started.
And we should probably get a Yahoo Groups or some such going so we don't take up forum space running it etc...anyone know an alternate site we can use that will allow us our own topics page for organization etc?
Triggvi
QUOTE (renfield007 @ May 31 2010, 03:23 PM) *
Friday night would work okay for me though I generally prefer weekend evenings off. But it will let me play later as long as I don't have to work on saturday.
And as I am currently unemployed I don't work saturdays.
I can use Ventrilo but I dunno if my Mic is currently working. Likely I'll have to test it before we actually get started.
And we should probably get a Yahoo Groups or some such going so we don't take up forum space running it etc...anyone know an alternate site we can use that will allow us our own topics page for organization etc?

Yahoo groups should work and then we use maptools while actually running it
Triggvi
I set up a yahoo group for this game. Message PM your e-mail and I will add you.
Orkimedes
Are you guys looking for another? I'd like to get a chance to play. I tried an online game before that totally fell apart.
LFG
QUOTE (Orkimedes @ Jun 4 2010, 10:55 PM) *
Are you guys looking for another? I'd like to get a chance to play. I tried an online game before that totally fell apart.

We are working on finalizing the schedule. Send me a private message and I can get you into the yahoo group. Looks like we're aiming for Mondays if that works for you.
Triggvi
QUOTE (Orkimedes @ Jun 5 2010, 04:55 AM) *

here is the link to our yahooogroup
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/SR4Ashadowrungroup/
Stormdrake
Little late but could you add another player? Have been running for two years and just want to play some, lol.
Triggvi
QUOTE (Stormdrake @ Jun 8 2010, 07:03 PM) *
Little late but could you add another player? Have been running for two years and just want to play some, lol.

Just hit the link above and I will add you to the group.
Dantic
I applied to join at the yahoo group, seem like we have two groups in this thread, or at least the potential for two groups. One playing on Mondays, and one on Fridays, either would work for me.
James Taima
How goes the game?

Any more room?
James Taima
How goes the game?

Any more room?

It posted twice....strange.
vertigo
Dantic:

Interested in your online SR4 games on friday if you still have room.

jon dot swanson at google's mail domain is my address.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012