Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: When Weapons Attack
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
mcb
QUOTE (mmu1)
QUOTE (mcb @ Feb 24 2004, 11:39 PM)
Actually the typical 50cal BMG has about 86% more muzzle energy then the 4-bore.  Typical 50cal is 750 grain bullet doing about 3000fps  for ~15000ft-lbs of muzzle energy.  The 4-bore as stated above only has about 8050ft-lbs of muzzle energy.  But if you compare the Taylor Knockout for them you see why, despite it age, the 4-bore is still a good stopping gun.

TK for the 50cal BMG is 160
The 4-bore is a whopping 355

Its tuff to beat a near one inch wound channel.

Perhaps, but the difference (for living things remotely human sized) between a .50 cal and an 1" wound channel is pretty much academic - and the .50 cal is guaranteed to have vastly better armor-piercing performance.

Agreed, on armor the 50cal BMG is king of the should fire weapons, both are extreme overkill on human size targets, but remember the 4-bore was created as a charge stopper at the end of the black powder era. They had basically reached the maximum velocities achievable with black powder and the only way to get more knock down was to throw fatter heavier slugs. It was meant to stop the determined charge from a larger critter (ie Cape Buffalo, Rhino, Elephant) set on rearranging your anatomy. In this respect the 4-bore excelled. The 4-bore and it little brother the 8-bore actually continued to serve professional hunters years after the introduction of nitro-based powders. The near one-inch wound channel compared to a 0.5 inch wound channel on a charging Cape Buffulo makes a big difference.
toturi
SR street equivalent of a charging Buffalo = Maxed Body and Strength Troll with Toughness, Dermal Sheathing 3 and Titanium Bone Lacing and 2 Cyberlimbs, determined to rearrange your anatomy by the most painful means possible,
Austere Emancipator
Canonically, a Troll only needs Body at Modified Limit, 11(12), and 2 points of Armor from whatever source, to be as tough as a rhinoceros. Getting the same Strength is possible, but only through an extreme amount of twinkage. Of course canonically a Troll cannot possibly be more than a fraction of the weight of a rhino, with averages being 225kg vs 1500kg (for a black rhino, ~2500kg and up up up for whites and Indian rhinos). I'd rather take on the Troll, however.

There's not much data circling around the net on the terminal ballistics of the really big calibers, probably because they are generally considered "lethal enough". Still, I'd like to see a gelatin block that has been visited by an expanding .50BMG at 3000fps. Just have to make sure the block is big enough that the temporary cavity doesn't get bigger than the block = Gelatin splattered all over the place.
Fahr
so as a SR gun then, maybe something more like 10D vehicle.

10 cause it aint gonna peirce military armour on vehicles, but if it can hurt you it'll make you dead really fast.

maybe even a lower power number to reflect it's lower velocity...

as comparison, 16-18D for .50 cal sniper rifle, high penetration good killing power. 10DV for 4-bore, good penetration really good killing power.

they are for different types of situations, the 4 Bore is more like a giant shotgun firing slugs than it is a rifle in use, stopping charging huge animals at close range. versus shooting at range at unaware targets.

-Mike R.
Austere Emancipator
Why vehicle damage? Even Assault Cannons don't do vehicle damage without specialty ammo. And if you're running an otherwise canon game, weapons resembling our .50BMG rifles would do 14D (as per Barrett M121).

I'd put it at 12D. With non-expanding ammo, I bet it would penetrate body armor "adequately". And Power does not represent penetration in Shadowrun anyway, not to mention that the 4-bore would certainly penetrate body armor better than a .338 Lapua, which is probably about the power level the designers were thinking with the Ranger Arms SM-3 and its 14S Damage Code.

For my own game, that'd probably be... 16D/-4 with FMJs? Compared to 14D/-10 for .50BMG. Insignificant difference for most intents and purposes, but meh.

QUOTE (Fahr)
shooting at range at unaware targets.

Where I come from, the .50BMGs/12.7x109mms are for shooting at low-flying airborne targets and lightly armored vehicles at long ranges. But whatever tickles your pickle. wink.gif
mcb
The 4-bore wouldn't need to penetrate the body armor. The blunt trauma alone would probably kill you if it hit you in the torso.
Austere Emancipator
Well then just use rubber bullets. Less messy.
Fahr
I keep wanting it to be vehicle damage because of the damage staging factor, if it starts at vehicle damage it has to stage down by 4 dice to get to Serious, this would make it harder to stage out of the deadly land... even if the shot was placed quickly in bad conditions. it's more to show the stopping power of the weapon under difficult circumstances than it is anything else.

and as far as mechanics for canon shadowrun goes, power == penetration vs. armour. as well as how hard it is to get successes to stage. so I was thinking lower power higher base damage code to make it easier to make a kill shot under poor conditions versus lightly armoured opponents (like cape buffalo) who may have a lot of body dice. so more damage to stage to begin with is more accurate way wo represent what this gun is for than a higher power...

is this making sense? i am not trying to say it is really a gun to use on vehicles, just that it has that sort of base damage.

as for Assault Cannons and special rounds for vehicle damage, we're talking about a gun that has custom ammo anyway, so that is not a big deal.

-Mike R.

PS maybe we should take this to it's own thread, as there are other big bore guns that exist today that it would be nice to write up for TSS...
toturi
Remember it is now quite possible to head shot with a tank gun. A head shot from 10 klicks away anyone?
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Fahr)
if it starts at vehicle damage it has to stage down by 4 dice to get to Serious

Really? I didn't know that. Still, I would hazard a guess that Assault Cannons might manage at least as much stopping power if neccessary.

QUOTE (Fahr)
as far as mechanics for canon shadowrun goes, power == penetration vs. armour.

That's sort of what the mechanic looks like, but it just doesn't work out well if you think of it like that. Simply consider the Heavy Pistol - Assault Rifle - Sporting Rifle - Sniper Rifle - HMG continuum. The canon weapon Damage Codes make absolutely no sense if you consider them from the Power = Penetration PoV, so new weapons added to the game don't have to either.

QUOTE (Fahr)
is this making sense?

I think I understand what you're saying, I just disagree with some of it.

maybe we should take this to it's own thread, as there are other big bore guns that exist today that it would be nice to write up for TSS

Well, there's not a whole lot of work to be done in that sector, because some kind soul has already done a lot of it.
Kagetenshi
Fahr, I'm pretty sure you're mixing vehicle and Naval damage. Different beasts by far.

~J
Fahr
I'm not going to convince you. so here is my thinking.

the example assault cannon you gave was 20D for a 20x83mm APDS
after some converting the gun in question is 24.4x107.95mm soid lead slug

while it's speed was considerably less and is defenitely not APDS
1400fps vs 2360fps

So i see your point, an Assault Cannon should do more.

I was trying to model it a little different than the way raygun is approaching things.

what I don't understand is, why does the assault cannon raygun is referencing not already do Vehicle damage, it was after all an anti-aircraft gun casing to begin with, defenitely anti vehicle. so why doesn't this shell show that?

I am not trying to say that I know more than raygun (I certainly don't), or even that he is wrong, I am trying to understand WHY that shell has a 20D regualr instead of something with a vehicle damage code.

from a canon game mechanics perspective I would expect this gun to do the following:
1) kill metas dead and hurt them even if armoured from the impact if nothing else. if it can stop a charging elephant it should be able to stop any meta.
2) armored vehicles would stop this round (low velocity lead slug)
3) more powerful than sport rifles comperable in killing power to sniper rifle with much shorter range.

to me 10D vehicle matches that better than 20D regular or 14D regular.
If it needed further adjustment I would take the power down more, but I truly believe that this should be in the anti-vehicle damage level. I also think rayguns ammo should have been base anti-vehicle too.

these are of course only my opinions, and this will be my last post on the matter as we have dragged this thread far enough off topic as is.

-Mike R.

PS. I don't have my R3 book near enough to look up the difference, I don't think that this should be LN damage, I think it is Vehicle Deadly. that is if I ma remebering the scale correctly
L(reg)->M(reg)L(veh)->S(reg)M(veh)->D(reg)S(veh)->D(veh)->LN->MN->SN->DN
yes?
Kagetenshi
Nope, there's no vehicle damage scale, just the quirk of vehicle armor ratings (halving non-AV Powers and acting hardened).

Edit: and the fact that non-AV weapons get their damage levels dropped by one. I guess that's the bit confusing you.

~J
Lindt
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
*snip*
Still, I'd like to see a gelatin block that has been visited by an expanding .50BMG at 3000fps. Just have to make sure the block is big enough that the temporary cavity doesn't get bigger than the block = Gelatin splattered all over the place.
*snip*

Im now very tempted to soak last years telephone books, and see what my shooting partners 10 guage will do....
Fahr
yep. that would be what is confusing me. as AV weapon Deadly is different than just Deadly. I always asumed that meant that AV Deadly was one level higher than regualr deadly, and LN was one higher than that.

my bad. amazing how one can play a game wrong for years, even after re-reading the rules.

-Mike R.
Austere Emancipator
That clears things up a bit...

And the reason why I think Raygun doesn't consider 20x83mm APDS rounds "Anti-Vehicular" is that the higher (or less low) Damage Level against vehicles shouldn't be a consequence of better penetration, but of greater damage dealt to vehicles.

So the APDS simply halves (vehicle) armor, but doesn't cause any more damage to the vehicle, which makes sense. The HEAP, however, causes far more damage to the vehicle itself -- thus AV.

QUOTE (Lindt)
Im now very tempted to soak last years telephone books, and see what my shooting partners 10 guage will do....

A completely uneducated guess: Not a whole lot. That is: Shitloads compared to a 9mmP, but not a whole lot compared to a .50BMG.
Fahr
well all I can say now, is that when my assumption and understanding is wrong to begin with, then everything else falls too... Oh well, you win some you lose some...

but hey, now I understand the damage codes better so some good came of it.

-Mike R.
mcb
QUOTE (Lindt)
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator @ Feb 25 2004, 10:08 AM)
*snip*
Still, I'd like to see a gelatin block that has been visited by an expanding .50BMG at 3000fps. Just have to make sure the block is big enough that the temporary cavity doesn't get bigger than the block = Gelatin splattered all over the place.
*snip*

How about this artical for punching holes in phone books? Its another page on the same site were I linked too about the 4-bore

Solids vs Monolith bullet compared in the 458 Win

The article is more about bullet composition but does give you the penetration of some of the big bore hunting rifles, the 458 Winchester in particular.

mcb
Raygun
QUOTE (Cain)
Agreed; but what you're describing is more dependant on skill, and not on physical size.  I think that, based on what you describe, a skilled 105-lb girl can fire a Desert Eagle for longer, with fewer ill effects, than an unskilled 300-lb linebacker.

What I'm describing is dependent on a pretty wide array of variables, modelling all of which realistically would make for an incredibly cumbersome rule (as usual). At the moment, physical size, reaction, and skill are all given equal measure in the equasion we're using to figure Recoil Pool. The girl (let's say 2+3+3/3 = 2 recoil pool) is going to have as good a chance of handling the recoil as a (5+3+0/3 = 2) linebacker. DE50, 11/4 = 3.

Running some numbers, I do think I'd totally scrap the /2 divisor for handguns. /3 should work fine. Rounded down. smile.gif

I definitely think we're looking more at a fumble rule than a regular-shot rule.  If it's not going to happen all tht often, and is more likely to happen to those with low/no skill, then I think it's best reserved as a fumble penalty.

You're more than welcome to come up with something. What we have so far is certainly not perfect. My own preference would be that it were one rule that works for every kind of character in a campaign.

For the record, since it was her first time shooting anything other than a rubber band gun, the fact she hit the target 3 out of 5 times was pretty decent. Her accuracy didn't drop noticeably from the first to last clip, but since it wasn't all that to begin with, I don't have anything to really compare it to.

Interesting. Give me your best estimates here. Time between shots. Time between magazines. Distance to target. Size of target.

I thought you were discussing rifles, when you were talking about those rounds-- and a small kid with a shotgun seemed like a decent comparison to an adult with a dinosaur rifle.
QUOTE (Cain)
On someone his size, that 20-gauge was the equivalent of a humongous hand cannon for him.

Sorry for the confusion. Since the discussion at that point had evolved to shadowrunners dealing with the recoil from very heavy pistols, I assumed that you were making the comparison of your brother with a 20-gauge to an adult with a big handgun. Your brother would be dealing with twice the recoil energy from a DE50 than from a 20-gauge shotgun.

Your brother with a 20-gauge: 385 grain shot @ 1550 fps = 12 fpe @ 11 fps from a 6.5-lb Remington Wingmaster. 12/70 = 0.171

Your brother with DE50: 300 grain JHP @ 1570 fps = 24 fpe @ 17 fps from a 4-lb Desert Eagle. 24/70 = 0.342

.416 Rigby Rifle: 400 grain FMJ @ 2242 fps = 65 fpe @ 21 fps from a 9.75-lb Ruger M77 Express. 65/155 = 0.419

.700 Nitro Express Rifle: 1000 grain solid @ 2260 fps = 181 fpe @ 25 fps from 18.25-lb rifle. 185/155 = 1.193

Your brother shooting that 20-gauge would be more like your average adult shooting a 220-grain .30-06 load from a 7 pound rifle (27 @ 16 fpe, 27/155 = 0.174). A .30-06 is nothing to scoff at, but it's not really what most people consider a dangerous game rifle, either. That load will knock over (figuratively speaking) a 350-400 pound elk without much trouble, though.

Anyway, this is really all academic , because...

QUOTE (mcb)
Agreed adrenaline has its bad effect when trying to shoot accurately but in those heart pounding hunting experiences do you remember the recoil of the gun you were hunting with?

Can't honestly say that I have. But I have noticed that the second shot is usually much more difficult to be accurate with than the first. Adrenaline affects are probably responsible for that as well (dealing with pain subconciously). I image even more is dumped into your blood stream after taking that smack to the shoulder. Good point.

The adrenaline rush in life and death combat must be even higher and I would think all but the nastiest recoil would go unnoticed. The adrenaline would probably mess with the shooter more than the recoil would.

Adrenaline would be the better part of the problem in why recoil messes with your ability to take successive shots in this kind of situation, I think. As for recoil being noticeable from big rifles during combat, I have to claim a distinct lack of experience there.
Cain
At the moment, physical size, reaction, and skill are all given equal measure in the equasion we're using to figure Recoil Pool.

Which is rather the point; based on what you're saying, a girl with skill 6 should have a much better chance of resisting the recoil from anything than a linebacker with skill 0 (and defaulting).

You're more than welcome to come up with something. What we have so far is certainly not perfect. My own preference would be that it were one rule that works for every kind of character in a campaign.

If you fumble, or roll more 1's than your skill, you take damage. *shrug* Works for me.
Interesting. Give me your best estimates here. Time between shots. Time between magazines. Distance to target. Size of target.

Ye gods, that was about eight years ago. As I recall, there was a guy two lanes down from us who had a Desert Eagle, who let her shoot it. She put about 5 clips worth of ammo through it, against a "bad guy" target, at about 30-40 feet. She fired pretty constantly, only stopping to reload the clips/gun. She hit the target more often than she didn't, although she scattered shots all across the paper-- it was pretty perforated by the time she was done. Definitely not marksman-level shooting, but not too shabby for a rank amateur who had never handled a gun before that day. It was at the end of our shooting time, so I didn't notice any major change in her accuracy from the time she was firing my .22 Beretta to that point.
Raygun
QUOTE (Cain)
Which is rather the point; based on what you're saying, a girl with skill 6 should have a much better chance of resisting the recoil from anything than a linebacker with skill 0 (and defaulting).

Where did you get that? Based on what I'm saying, it should look exactly even.

If you fumble, or roll more 1's than your skill, you take damage.  *shrug*  Works for me.

Looks like we're done here, then! Have fun.

Ye gods, that was about eight years ago. As I recall, there was a guy two lanes down from us who had a Desert Eagle, who let her shoot it.  She put about 5 clips worth of ammo through it, against a "bad guy" target, at about 30-40 feet.  She fired pretty constantly, only stopping to reload the clips/gun.  She hit the target more often than she didn't, although she scattered shots all across the paper-- it was pretty perforated by the time she was done. Definitely not marksman-level shooting, but not too shabby for a rank amateur who had never handled a gun before that day.  It was at the end of our shooting time, so I didn't notice any major change in her accuracy from the time she was firing my .22 Beretta to that point.

Uh huh. Well, that clears some things up for me. Conversation over. Thanks for wasting my time.
Cain
Where did you get that? Based on what I'm saying, it should look exactly even.

Based on what you described of the real situation. Basically, I'm getting the idea that in the real world, skill is the most important factor in determining how well you can handle the recoil from a pistol, and possibly any other firearm out there.
Uh huh. Well, that clears some things up for me.

Dude, you asked. I tried to drege up what I can recall of a few hours at a gun range eight years ago for you. If you would tell me what you're thinking of, I'll try and help; but I have no idea why you asked in the first place.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012