Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Learning magic
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Nikoli
I had a player once that wanted his cybered out troll street sam to learn the error of his ways and begin to learn magic, either through phys ad. or full mage, we never discussed which he would go to. And yes, I'm sure he was trying to powergame, which I generally frown upon as it tends to lose the gritty feel.

Any way, after reading, re-reading and in general wearing out my copy of Year of the Comet, I've come to a conclusion about how to solve the dilemma should it rise again (I don't play with the one player any more).

His one chance would be to SURGE, and manifest either Astral perception od become dual natured (I believe at least one of those puts your magic attribute to 1) I would then have the player being initiating or buying power point depending on magic style, though I would rule that he would have to initiate as a phys ad if he wanted to go over 1 in a power that has a rating or level.

This would place a significant karma cost on the person, but it is the only way I can think of for a mundane character to gain a magic attribute in game.

Anyone else had to deal with this and if so, how?
Kagetenshi
Your option sounds good. Either that or kill the character and let the player make a new one, but that's one that should be reserved for repeat powergaming offenders (the ones you don't mind them possibly walking on the game).

~J
Lantzer
Does he have any essence left, and is he worth the extra trouble?

If he does and is, I'd allow him to try it _if_ the occurance of surge wasn't a sure thing - he's gotta take his chances like anybody else.

Then, I'd let him buy with karma the ability to do magic ( I'd look up the price in BECKS - around 60-80 karma if I remember correctly. What, did he expect to get it cheaper than a guy who got magic at chargen?)

Then He'd by a heavily cybered troll mage - who has Surged and wasted much of his essence.

If He's got essence <1, tell him no.

Nikoli
I'm not a fan of the kill and make a new one. The character had a bit of history, we'd been playing ever few days for a few monthes. (while living with a lot of people sucks, it's great fun when you have your RP group as roommates for nightly gaming)

Though I did consider making him play his docwagon blank-clone, starting off knowing nothing, defaulting to natural attributes, etc.
Kagetenshi
Lantzer has a good alternative possibility, though the start-with-magic-1-and-initiate-on-up option has the advantage of not requiring a massive initial outlay of karma (a bloc of 60-80 karma at one time? That's a lot to save up) but potentially requiring more later. Not letting him join a magical group for some time would also help with that, as not many people would take a magical weakling like him.

~J
BitBasher
Though I did consider making him play his docwagon blank-clone, starting off knowing nothing, defaulting to natural attributes, etc.
You can do that, but you have to break canon to do it. The tissue clones are not viable, IE: Not libing organisms. They do not have functioning brains. In SR canon it is still impossible to clone a metahuman and have it function.
Siege
Truthfully, I'd say the character _can't_ learn magic.

Fully mundane people can study magical theory all they want -- but if they weren't born with the magical spark (i.e. spent points to be magically active), all they will ever know is the theory.

If a good roleplayer wanted to develop a character who "Awoke" in mid-game, I'd still require him to spend points on buying Magic just like any other mage. I'd let the player "bank" the spell points until the character "Awakens" and has a chance to learn magic.

After spending the banked spell points, the new mage would use standard karma rules to learn spells.

Alternatively, I'd allow him a single point of Magic from a special circumstance and require him to buy more points with Karma which would curtail his spell casting ability, but it'd be realistic and cut down on the power munchkins quite a bit.

That special circumstance would involve getting dumped in the metaplanes and going through some major grief and acquire some nasty drawbacks.

-Siege
Playing Games
out side of surge,some totems, just give out magic.Off the top of my head, dragon,even canoical.
Kagetenshi
Ooh, let him join the Aleph Foundation.

~J
k1tsune
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

~J

(Showing n00bness again.)

What's that?
Req
mmm...Threats 2...
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (k1tsune)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Feb 23 2004, 07:18 PM)

~J

(Showing n00bness again.)

What's that?

[ Spoiler ]

~J
Kanada Ten
Focus your power into the black moon. Put everything into it and it will return power to you. Aleph Society can only grant magical powers to burnouts. So unless the character had the spark to begin with...

Insect Totem @,@ !
TheScamp
Assuming he still has a full point of Essence left in him, you could just say that he's been capable all along, only didn't know it. That is, if you're if you're comfortable with just giving him 30 build points as a freebie.
Kagetenshi
Are you sure it's only burnouts? I seem to remember mundanes being involved...

~J
Kanada Ten
Mundanes are involved. Something has to fuel the fire...

They don't get to use the magic, but they contribute to it (or rather: are tribute to it).
Nikoli
Basically, they way the BBB describes magic, all metahumanity is born with the 'spark' for magic, only not all listen to that side of themselves. Hence why he would have to SURGE to awaken.
sidartha
Basically, they way the BBB describes magic, all metahumanity is born with the 'spark' for magic

Where do you read this? page number?
Because the way it seems to have been is that only a select few are born with the ability and it manifests itself around puberty. That's why you have to pay for the magic with build points instead of multiclassing into it whenever you feel like it.
However, you are right that the SURGE changling rules can give you magic attribute at 1 but you must have the room for it around the cyber and bio already there. Then again these are only the cannon rules and if anything is subject to GM interpretation it's magic but I wouldn't be surprised if everybody suddenly
realized the error of their ways
Pathwalker
Simple house rules idea:

•Traditions:
10 Karma - Aspect Magician or Adept
20 Karma - Full Magician

•Magic Rating:
20 Karma per point raised, maximum 6. Any essence loss still applies (eg a human with 5 essence needs to raise his magic 2 points before having a rating of 1).
Adepts would get one power point per rating increase (same costs).
Starting magicians (When effective magic=1) would get 5 force points towards spells. For each additional magic point gained, aspect magicians would get 6 force points, full-magicians 4.

Assuming said street samurai has an essence of 2, should take about 110 karma to get him a single force point as an adept.
k1tsune
QUOTE (Pathwalker)
Simple house rules idea:

•Traditions:
20 Karma - Full Magician

That seems like way too little to totally turn a character's life around, literally Awakening them mid-game.

I don't know. Just seems too small.
Siege
QUOTE (k1tsune)
QUOTE (Pathwalker @ Feb 24 2004, 03:37 AM)
Simple house rules idea:

•Traditions:
20 Karma - Full Magician

That seems like way too little to totally turn a character's life around, literally Awakening them mid-game.

I don't know. Just seems too small.

Amen. I'm not a fan of multi-classing without some plausible justification and an earlier poster's points are quite valid -- do you really want to hand out 30 BP for free?

Isn't that gonna upset all the other legitimately magical characters?

-Siege
Herald of Verjigorm
Notice that the math is:
20 to have the potential of full magic.
+20 per point of magic attribute until the normal starting effect is purchased.

this means 140 karma to become a full mage with normal starting magic potential.
Siege
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
Notice that the math is:
20 to have the potential of full magic.
+20 per point of magic attribute until the normal starting effect is purchased.

this means 140 karma to become a full mage with normal starting magic potential.

Conversely, for 30 karma points, I go "poof" and become a physical adept with a point of magic.

-Siege
tjn
QUOTE (Siege)
Conversely, for 30 karma points, I go "poof" and become a physical adept with a point of magic.

That's without any cyber or bioware at all.

Most non-magically active PC's will have at least some.

And personally, I wouldn't have much of a problem with a completely mundane, no cyber or bioware pc spending "only" 30 karma.

Still going to require the roleplaying aspect, doesn't just happen out of nowhere. Becoming magically active is ripe ground for a good story and should be explored if this option to become magically active is allowed.
Siege
It's your game.

I'm gonna stick with the "if you didn't buy it at character gen, it's not going to happen" approach.

-Siege
Joe Silverhand
QUOTE (Nikoli)
Anyone else had to deal with this and if so, how?

I have a player trying almost the exact same thing, just with less cyber. I ruled that, growing up on the street SINless she never had the tests done to see if she could be a spell-slinger or not. I had her spend an about 6 months in game (and a lot of money) with a mage who observed to see if she was a late awakener or not. She made an essence test with a TN of 20 minus essence. If she passed (and she did) she would then pay out about 21 karma minus 1 per success on the essence test. That got her the appropriate level magic score (5 in her case thanks to a smartlink) and the ability to learn spells and the magical skills. It doesn’t grant spells or skills, but the adept I would say could "learn" to the appropriate level of powers at one point per month of training after awakening. That's how I delt with it.

Joe Silverhand
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012